Blatant Voter Fraud in Georgia

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (63 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 12 years ago
    1. Ralph Deeds profile image65
      Ralph Deedsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Although I was unable to access the Paul video, this sounds like voting official fraud, not voter fraud. This is an important distinction because "voter" fraud is rare because there is no financial incentive for anyone to vote fraudulently. The real problem is that too few people bother to vote. Voting should be made easier, not harder. The current GOP effort to require photo I.D. for voting is a transparent effort to suppress voting by the elderly, students and minorities who they believe are likely to vote Democratic. Shame on the GOP.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
        Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Everyone over 18 should have either a driver's license or state ID. I don't see how that could possibly be discriminatory.

Not "should have" as in "too bad if they don't" but as in "I can see no conceivable reason why they wouldn't have" a valid ID. Especially if they're receiving financial aid, Medicare, or other state benefits. I'd think the demographics you mentioned would be more ID-savvy than the general populace.

2. Reality Bytes profile image73
          Reality Bytesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why?  I have neither.  Have not had one for over five years.  I do not want one!  So I should lose my RIGHT! to vote?

Maybe it should be a privilege to vote?

I guess my main point is I still don't see how such a policy discriminates against one side of the political spectrum. There are hyper-religious people who believes social security numbers are the Mark of te Beast and survivalists who live off the grid. That's about as fringe right as you can get. But if you're a college student chances are you have to flash some proof of ID just to function in everyday life.

Again, I'm not weighing in on whether it's right or wrong, just whether it's (sigh) yet another evil right-wing plot.

The Republican Party is conducting a state-by-state campaign to impose voter I.D. requirements and other voting impediments. The Democrats are opposing these bills that have been rammed through a number of state legislatures without producing a shred of evidence that fraudulent voting is a significant problem.

The real problem which everyone should be concerned about is the damage done to the democratic process by the Super-Pacs spawned by the Citizens United decision by the U.S. Supreme Court. As David Gergen said recently, the electoral process has become "a kind of card game for billionaires."

2. Reality Bytes profile image73

There is no right wing or left wing,  you just have an angry bird.  (I have been waitin to use that pun!)

This law will disenfranchise the poor, minorities, etc....

I am not allowed to have an ID, they refuse to spell my name correctly.  I only capitalize the first letter of my name, I am not some fiction in capital letters.  So technically the only ID anyone is showing is that of a corporate fiction!

1. profile image0
                idratherbeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And in todays times how easy is it to get a phony id?

1. Reality Bytes profile image73

That would be fraud,  not interested smile

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You don't even need those. You can use a piece of mail with your name and address on it.

4. habee profile image92
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree. I had a discussion about this last night at dinner with my two liberal dem pals from Indiana, and even they agree. They suggested that people have a one year warning that such a law would be enacted, and that the photo IDs should be free. That would give potential voters plenty of time to get their ID. Sounds reasonable to me.

5. profile image0

It's a hardship for older retirees who never had a driver's license or any form of picture id. If they are handicapped and expected to wait on lines for hours to get a photo id, they are or can be left out of the voters mix. Many find it hard to get out for a doctor's appointment, much less an unnecessary visit to the DMV for picture id.

1. habee profile image92

With my dem pals' plan, the older voters could have their IDs made at the voting place, before the law goes into effect. My community also has a senior citizen bus that carries seniors around town for free, including voting sites. We have another bus that anyone can ride for $1. This should make it a lot easier for people to get an ID. For example, let's say a citizen shows up to vote in a primary and doesn't have to have a photo ID. He/she is told that before they can vote in the election, they need an ID. The ID is made on the spot.

I am totally for voter ID, perhaps because I'm used to it here in GA. I do think, however, that getting the ID should be easy to do, and it should be free.

1. profile image0

My research show's your showing up and not having a photo id not true. Apparently you have to have two forms of bills with your name and address on it. Then you fill out the form and they mail the form to your proven address. Then you sign it and mail it back. After it is recieved they contact you to get your photo id made. This is a long and drawn out process I would think? Not to mention, would have to be done well before voting begins to get your id.

1. habee profile image92

Huh? I'm talking about a POSSIBLE plan to get a photo ID in the future. If one is already registered to vote in a state where IDs aren't yet required, this plan would be an easy way for voters to get an ID to fill upcoming requirements.

6. Ralph Deeds profile image65

Some states charge as much as $20 for a state voter I.D. Others provide them at no charge. The $20 amounts to a return of the poll tax which was outlawed by the Voter Rights Act. Even if there is no charge a state voter I.D. requirement is an impediment for some people (elderly) who don't drive and have no access to public transportation to get to a Secretary of State's office to get an I.D. The requirement is an impediment to voting justified by a non-existent voter fraud problem. It is a transparent attempt to discourage what the GOP views as likely Democratic voters from voting.

Moreover, the topic of this thread was the chicanery by the GOP party officials in Georgia who apparently didn't follow their own party rules to the chagrin of Ron Paul supporters. A voter I.D. requirement would have no bearing on this controversy.

1. Aficionada profile image80
            Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So why did you introduce that point in your initial post?  Others have been responding to something that you brought up.

Sometimes it's hard to keep these discussions on track.

I brought voting fraud up to point out that the thread topic was titled improperly. When I made my initial comment I hadn't been able to access the video, and I wasn't sure what the problem was. I recalled from memory that the Ron Paul supporters had complained that they were treated unfairly in Georgia. Since then I was able to watch the video. It confirmed that the video had nothing to do with voter or voting fraud. Moreover, Habee pointed out that Georgia already has a voter I.D. requirement. Therefore, what happened in Georgia had to do with the fact that Gingrich supporters in the local GOP who were running the primary somehow apparently disadvantaged the Paul supporters. This had nothing to do with the non-existent voting fraud that the Republicans have been bleating about all over the country.

1. habee profile image92

My first reponse was to Evan's post that stated a voter needed only a piece of mail with name and address, which isn't true for GA. I guess we all kind of got "sidetracked."

2. Evan G Rogers profile image61

How can the Georgia example NOT be an example of vote fraud? People voted, and the GOP did what it wanted anyway.

That's fraud. People spent time and money voting.

What happened in Georgia may have been fraud, but it was not "voter fraud" which is the phony excuse used in the current GOP campaign to suppress potentially Democratic voters. What happened in Georgia according to Ron Paul supporters was unfair, imporoper or if you wish "fraudulent" treatment by the GOP people who were running the Georgia primary or caucus or whatever it was. According to them the procedure was more like the recent "election" in Russia.

It is important to point out that it is not the voters that are committing the fraud.

Thus, as Ralph said, it is not Voter Fraud.

It is Vote Fraud.

Kudos.

However, some vote fraud is accomplished by bribing people to give fraudulent votes at multiple polling places. That's a financial incentive.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61

I agree, but it's peanuts compared to what's going on.

2. SparklingJewel profile image66
          SparklingJewelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...semantics I hadn't thought about...just getting information out

I totally agree. I made the same mistake when I talked about other Anti-Paul vote fraud in other states.

3. Evan G Rogers profile image61

Upon thinking about it more, it really is Voter Fraud.

It is fraud upon those who wish to make their vote count more than it is.

??? Your meaning isn't clear. My understanding is that the skulduggery was on the part of the people running the primary or caucus or whatever it was.

To me "voter fraud" means somebody who votes twice, or votes although he is ineligible to vote because he's not a resident of the district where he's voting or pretends he's someone else. The controversy in Georgia had nothing to do with "voting or voter fraud." It resulted apparently from the fact that the GOP party officials didn't follow their own rules or in some way were not fair to Ron Paul. A voter I.D. requirement would not have prevented this controversy.

The people running the program are still voters - and they switched votes towards their candidates.

Thus, those voters performed voter fraud when, by their actions, numerous votes that would have gone to other candidates went to their guy.

That's true, but voter I.D.s or lack thereof had nothing to do with the controversy. You are as hard to pin down as an eel.

why are we talking about Voter IDs?

4. profile image0
        Onusonusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A false statement as usual, it is nothing more than the prevention of fraud in elections, and that is all. Nothing but sensationalizing in order to vilify your opponents. roll

You don't know what you are talking about, as usual and you don't bother to check out the facts. No one has produced evidence that voter fraud is a significant problem in U.S. elections.

Ohio, Florida...

... iowa, maine...

... georgia, nevada...

They have provided a lot of evidence. The media just isn't talking about it.

Ben Swann has been doing a lot of work towards the vote fraud issues, but you already called him loonie.

Where is the evidence? Produce it if you can.

Easily, I just did a show about it.

Maine Vote Fraud was well documented:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FDeee9Df7U

Georgia Caucus Screw Overs:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBI67s748dU

Iowa...
                ... I don't really need to produce evidence for this one, do I?

South Carolina Vote Flipping was rampant:
                https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_wWkfs … edit?pli=1

US Virgin Islands:
                The media almost always reports who wins the straw poll, and ignores who wins the delegates........... except in the one case that Ron Paul wins the Straw Poll legitimately.

It's well documented, it's rampant, and it's on a wide scale. It's ALL against Ron Paul.

The election in November will be a COMPLETE fraud.

If *Insert non-Ron Paul Republican* beats Obama, then they won't actually be the desired candidate.

2. habee profile image92

There's been voter fraud in GA. The reports have been given a "true" rating on Politifact.

I didn't say there was NO voter fraud. I said that it has not been a significant problem. What was the extent and nature of the fraud in Georgia? Was there enough of it to have changed the result of any election? Of course blacks were denied the right to vote for many years in Georgia. Correcting that took a new federal voting rights law. Now the GOP is proposing legislation in many states that would again deprive a disproportionate number of minorities and others of their right to vote.

It's Rampant. It's documented. It's wide spread. And it's ALL against Ron Paul.

The election in November will be a COMPLETE fraud at this rate.

2. Dave Mathews profile image60
      Dave Mathewsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So what else is knew. This has been happening for many years now.

3. rave1432 profile image60
      rave1432posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am from Georgia. I went to vote and I was going to vote for Ron Paul and I told the people I wanted to vote for him, I checked the correct box, and the only choice I had was Obama, they would not fix it so I did not vote for president. They rigged it so we had to vote for Obama or for no one at all.

1. habee profile image92

I voted in GA, asked for a Republican ballot, and Ron Paul was on my ballot. You must have asked for a Democrat ballot, which explains why only Obama was on the ballot.

Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

Ron Paul fans are showing the country that

1) we no longer are living in a republic. There have been many laws outlawing republic legislation, such as voting for electors and voting for delegates who then make the decisions.

and that

2) the democratic aspects of our country are so horribly corrupted it's unbelievable. Voting has practically lost all meaning.

Together, this means that we no longer are a democracy nor a republic.

3. Alexia22221 profile image54
    Alexia22221posted 12 years ago

i can believe this alright

4. Alexia22221 profile image54
    Alexia22221posted 12 years ago

sparkling jewel this is your second time writing this again i can still believe this alright lol

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

In GA, you have to show a photo ID to vote. The state supplies these at no cost.

6. Evan G Rogers profile image61
    Evan G Rogersposted 12 years ago

This might be considered self-promotion, but no one seems to get in trouble for the problem whenever I report it....

... but I'm currently broadcasting on teh interwebz about the recent massive vote/voter fraud in the US during these primaries. I'll just tell you that you can listen to it later if you check out "the Independent Bacon" (check my profile), and search for the March 17 episode.

Georgia, Nevada, South Carolina, Maine, US Virgin Islands, Iowa, and others. They're all there. The evidence is there.

This primary means nothing because the GOP is just stealing votes from Ron Paul and giving them to others.

Okay. But would a voter I.D. requirement have prevented this? Not likely.

I don't care about a Voter ID requirement. I care about vote totals being accurate and un-biased. Why is everyone talking about a voter id?

Look at the title of the thread. Alleged "voter fraud" is the excuse for the GOP's national voter suppression campaign.

Title of forum: "Blatant Voter Fraud in Georgia"

The OP of the forum: "?????can you believe this

http://ronpaulflix.com/2012/03/blatant- … R.facebook"

Voter Fraud and Voter IDs are only loosely connected.

People are being defrauded of their votes, and you're arguing about semantics.

7. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 12 years ago

semantics... some of you will do anything to divert from reality of the problem occurring across America...
    There is fraud occurring rampantly in this election and something big needs to be done!

Can you cite any credible evidence to support your conclusion that voter fraud is "rampant?" From what I've read that's not true.

2. Ralph Deeds profile image65

"There is fraud occurring rampantly in this election and something big needs to be done!"

Here is a link to a report by the Brennan Center at N.Y. University Law School which concludes that voter fraud is rare in this country.

http://www.brennancenter.org/content/re … ter_fraud/

Summary

* Fraud by individual voters is both irrational and extremely rare.
      * Many vivid anecdotes of purported voter fraud have been proven false or do not demonstrate fraud.
      * Voter fraud is often conflated with other forms of election misconduct.
      * Raising the unsubstantiated specter of mass voter fraud suits a particular policy agenda.
      * Claims of voter fraud should be carefully tested before they become the basis for action.

Fraud by individual voters is both irrational and extremely rare. Most citizens who take the time to vote offer their legitimate signatures and sworn oaths with the gravitas that this hard-won civic right deserves. Even for the few who view voting merely as a means to an end, however, voter fraud is a singularly foolish way to attempt to win an election. Each act of voter fraud risks five years in prison and a $10,000 fine - but yields at most one incremental vote. The single vote is simply not worth the price.

Because voter fraud is essentially irrational, it is not surprising that no credible evidence suggests a voter fraud epidemic. There is no documented wave or trend of individuals voting multiple times, voting as someone else, or voting despite knowing that they are ineligible. Indeed, evidence from the microscopically scrutinized 2004 gubernatorial election in Washington State actually reveals just the opposite: though voter fraud does happen, it happens approximately 0.0009% of the time. The similarly closely-analyzed 2004 election in Ohio revealed a voter fraud rate of 0.00004%. National Weather Service data shows that Americans are struck and killed by lightning about as often.

8. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Latest poll on voter ID laws:

72% for
    22% against

That shows how ill-informed and/or badly motivated 72% of the people surveyed are.

1. habee profile image92

Ralph, we're just going to have to agree to disagree here, as we often do. Really, I understand your concerns, but I think we can make it easy for people to get photo IDs. I don't see how people survive without them. I have to show mine quite frequently.

We don't have to agree to disagree. You are an open minded, intelligent person.

Imagine a 60 year-old woman or man of sound mind who does not drive confined to a wheel chair in an elder care facility. Can you see how it might be difficult for them to vote, let alone get a photo I.D.? What about an inner city single parent who doesn't have a car or driver's license but uses public transportation which doesn't pass within 5 miles of a Secretary of State's office. Can you see how it might be difficult for such a person to get a photo I.D., register and vote? What about someone who has moved recently and his or her driver's license address doesn't match his current residence? Can you see how having a current photo I.D. might pose a problem? Have you ever lost or misplaced your driver's license? Should that prevent you from voting? What about people whose driver's licenses have been suspended due to too many speeding tickets? Should they not be allowed to vote? 

Can you cite any evidence that voting fraudulently has ever influenced an election anywhere? Will you concede that public policy should encourage eligible citizens to vote and that a lot of people don't bother to do so. If so, why do you think a voter I.D. should be required. In Michigan where I live,
          if you don't have a photo I.D. you can sign an affidavit certifying that you are who you claim to be and your current address. Your vote is set aside and subject to verification by election officials before it is counted.

Did you read the Brennan Center report I posted above?

1. profile image0

Ralph, I agree with all of your examples. This does nothing more then hinder many potential voters from voting. Many of which are of low income, retired, or handicapped and unable to easily follow a process that is flawed at best.

9. profile image0
    idratherbeposted 12 years ago

Many women years ago didn't work outside of the home and had no reason for picture id. Many never had a driver's license. So to ask retired people to now have id, many in their 70's and 80's, can be very hard to accomplish do to their health. I'd venture to say many weren't able to vote recently as it can take weeks to get the id, and weren't aware of the id requirement.

10. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 12 years ago

Ralph, Michigan's law sounds reasonable, with the affidavit. Still, I think getting IDs to the people you describe could be made possible. Of course, it could be expensive for the gov., which the far right isn't going to like.

I think every legal voter in the country should vote! I have a good friend who has never registered to vote, and she's 56 years old. I hound her all the time about registering. You know I'm not an Obama fan, but something great that came out of his run for POTUS was the fact that so many people voted, including many who had never voted before, especially young people and minorities. That was great!

Just wondering...does your community have free transportation to voting sites for those who don't drive? Mine does, and I think ALL communities should provide this service. Much of it around here is done by churches.

As for whether or not voter fraud in GA has ever swayed an election, I have no idea. I know that in every election, there are always a couple hundred fraudulent votes cast in the state. After my mom died, her name was still on the roster. We had the same name, so I could actually have voted twice - once for her and once for me - if I hadn't needed a photo ID. Of course, I would never have done that, anyway.

I agree with you that there's a fine line between voter verification and voter suppression, and in the wrong hands, this could be unfairly administered. There would need to be some serious oversight.

"Just wondering...does your community have free transportation to voting sites for those who don't drive?"

I'm not sure. My voting precinct is 3 blocks from my house. I think the two parties may drive voters to the polls. Not sure. Our public transportation system is not very functional.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)