Twitter

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (33 posts)
  1. unvrso profile image83
    unvrsoposted 12 years ago

I have been posting my hubpages articles on twitter for the last three months on a daily basis. I calculate approximately 100 hundred times each of my last ten articles, but that doesn´t show up in my traffic sources page. What can be the problem? I have been posting all my articles at facebook, but I have received just three visitors ever from that source.

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...have you been using hash tags?
      ...do you have followers?

2. profile image0
    scottcgruberposted 12 years ago

If you're using a URL shortener, the referrer won't show as twitter.com. It will show as bit.ly or t.co or whatever you're using.

unvrsoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It ends as t.co, but I haven´t had visitors in the last month. I only have had 12 visitors ever. Most visitorr are from hubpages.

I have 11 followers. I don´t think followers is the problem. I write for other site, and four months back, I was getting more visitors, and was making enough to pay 29.00 dollars at socialoomph, but the same day I subscribed at socialoomph, I noticed that my revenue declined. I ended up making 18 dollars that month. Since then, I have been living with 1/4 of what I was supposed to make from add revenue. Here at hubpages, I´m making 2 cents a day, even though I´m posting at twitter and facebook. I´m still using the free version of socialoomph, and I´m wondering if being posting on a daily basis, night and day can affect the traffic that I´m trying to get.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
        Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think followers is the problem. I barely get any hits with 50+ followers.

My experience seems to indicate that very few of your followers are actually going to click on some link you post. Between the people who follow you purely in hopes of getting a backfollow and people who are following so many other people that your tweets are just a grain of sand in their feed, the Twitter "click-thru" rate seems to be very, very low.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agreed.

One tweet I did got re-tweeted to make a total of 3,500 followers receiving that tweet. The net results for that hub was 10 views. Thus, my expectations now are 1 view for each 350 twitter folks who receive the tweet; 90+% of whom will probably never even see it.

1. Eric Newland profile image60
            Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pinterest "4 lyfe."

1. lobobrandon profile image88
              lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with search engines not much of a social crowd person. Other than G+ I don't even post my hubs on FB where I have plenty of friends who would surely check my hubs out.

3. Michael J Rapp profile image60
    Michael J Rappposted 12 years ago

Looking at your profile, you seem to cover some interesting but fairly complex topics.  Even if you're tweeting with hash tags, this could be part of the reason people aren't clicking.  Twitter is a place of short attention spans, so the average user isn't usually interested in anything too complicated.  Some are, but you'll have only a relatively small group of people checking the hash tag feeds for such precise topics.  Especially if you're tweeting the same thing over and over.  The interested parties have already seen it.   

IMO, the only reason I post links on Twitter is the chance that someone will latch onto my article, stick it on a prominant Facebook page, link to it from a high-profile website, whatever.  All of that has happened, which keeps me tweeting like an idiot. As for straight out getting views and adsense clicks, it's not been much use to me. Each tweet will pick up a handful of visits, that's it.

For people capable of drawing a massive following maybe it's different, and some of the more veteran writers here might have a better prespective.

Thank you very much for the feedback. I´m going to rethink on what I have read here.

4. im28beyond profile image60
    im28beyondposted 12 years ago

yeah, I've been posting my hubs in twitter but it didn't amount to anything. It's the best place when you're a celebrity, I guess.

5. profile image0
    vimierposted 12 years ago

I mad a separate account to do this. I built it up, gaining around 650 followers. I built it up specifically so that I could use it to market to a mass audience. The think is, even when I post a link or something to Twitter, I still rarely even get a click. I guess it's not really the best way to get the word out there about your product.

6. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 12 years ago

My experience.

Twitter - waste of time couldn't get any followers.
    Facebook - waste of time, same crowd, few views from mates.
    Reddit - wow.  Enormous traffic, no clicks, then banned.
    Pinterest - a fair number of visits, but need to perpetually keep posting.

For me, I think social networking is waste of time.  I haven't got the time or ability to do it effectively.

However, for others who are putting in the hard work then they may build a decent following.  For example, when Wesman shares one of my pages I suddenly get a load of visits - he has genuine followers and a live thing going on.

There is something a bit sad about the groups where we, me included, share every new page in the hope that someone might visit it.  I don't think it works.

My feeling about social network is that there is real power out there.  My job is to write and produce something that might be worth sharing.  Not by me... by others.

Sorry.  Went on a bit.

Here's a picture of a dinosaur...

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6371840_f248.jpg

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I seem to have better luck with FB even though I do get some views from twitter. Most of my traffic comes from google.com, google.co.uk and google.co.ca and some other places like google India. So I will keep doing what I'm doing which is not tweeting so often as I did before. When my friends tweet my work I tend to get more views.

To use Twitter effectively you have to develop a relationship with your followers and the people you follow or they will see your tweets as spam. As soon as I learned that I kinda eased off the tweeting.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, it's doing it in moderation.  It's hard when you think you have just written something brilliant not to Share it - but for me, the best traffic comes from other people.

Still.  What am I doing going on about it?  I'm a traffic failure although a small hope still exists.

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
          FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I tend to tweet a lot of movie hubs that other people write because I know I'm being followed by people who run classic movie tweet sites and I follow them back. For example, I'm followed by a Fred Astaire tweeter whom I also follow. So I tweet Cogerson's and Steve Lensman's classic movie hubs all the time as well as others who tweet classic movie hubs. I also tweet news. That allows me to tweet my own hubs without being seen as a spammer.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

Haha nice dinosaur. I just share each hub once I publish them and thats all I don't expect traffic from the shares though. I get some Stumble upon gives me the max - about 10 views on each new hub tongue !!

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

love your picture  smile

4. Shinkicker profile image54
      Shinkickerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great comment Mark

My experience too with Social Networks. Nice dino!

5. jessicaseo profile image59
      jessicaseoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Mark,

I can't agree with you completely but  then you are right too with the sense of getting actually something called traffic instead of those 20 and 30 views. I think one needs to perform complete social media marketing to increase the views of its post/site/product. It is all about effort and how much you put in to get what you are looking for. Social Media are just a market place to put your product/service/link to widen its reach but further clicks/leads depends upon the effectiveness of the product.

--
      Thanks
      Jessi

7. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

OMFG! You guys DO realize that getting a tweet noticed and/or spread over the net involves hash tags, not followers right?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

I started blasting away with hash tags around a month ago I think. Yep, it do make a difference! But not enough to make my pulse rate quicken. However, your post makes me realize that I must learn to be more hash tag coordinated. big_smile

2. lobobrandon profile image88

I just began that a week ago.. Any explanation would do well smile
      I'm not a tweety type of guy

8. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 12 years ago

Umm, whats a hash tag?!! sorry for being dumb!

Use a #keyword

Where keyword is something you want to promote using your  tweet - I'm not sure as well let Wrylit return big_smile

9. TeleNetDirect profile image59
    TeleNetDirectposted 12 years ago

If you are using Google Analytics you need load your analytics ID into each lense or article you create.  If you are using third party tracking software than your links and tracking will always be skewed based on the tracking software or sites social media tracking partner.  Case in point...woorank.com uses hubspot for all of their social media tracking.  If you sign-up with hubspot your tracking magically appears in your woorank reports.  It's simply their way of marketing ad partners which produces revenue for "free" services.

How do I load my google analytics ID into a hub? I have never done it and I´m interested in what adding it can do for my hubs. Will it let track all my hubs added to google analytics or just increase my revenue?

Google Analytics doesn't increase traffic - but it tracks it very well. It won't track your own views, but will tell you all the sources, what keywords people are using, what countries they are from etc.

Here is the Hubpages guide to it:
        http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/sett … -analytics

You do NOT need to put it into every hub. Once it is linked to your account it will automatically track all new hubs you create on that account.

10. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

Twitter HASHTAGS place your tweets into a "channel" or "stream" which features EVERY tweet on the site using that particular hash tag. You can look at this stream by clicking on any hashtag word (the word will turn into a link to that topic channel). The stream can be sorted chronologically or by the most popular tweets.

So for instance if your hashtag word was #RECIPES, you could see hundreds of new tweets every minute with that hashtag. If your hashtag was #WRYLILT, chances are no one would be using it. So you need to choose a good keyword that has a reasonable amount of tweets but not so many your tweet will get quickly hidden. For instance instead of #Recipes you might try #Cheesecake or #Potatoes.

Some specific types of sites pick up and link to content based on topical hashtags. For instance there are some which pick up any hub link posted with the #Hubpages hash tag. It's a great way for sites to add extra content without having to create their own!

Thanks smile

Does this mean that if I write astronomy topics, I can write hastags with: Moon, Sun, stellar distances, etc, and I have the chance to be added to certain sites?

Yes.

11. bryanbaldwin profile image61
    bryanbaldwinposted 12 years ago

If you truly want to give it at effort, you need more followers man.  And yes, do the hash tag thing too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)