No follow message on Blogger

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (49 posts)
  1. Sinea Pies profile image61
    Sinea Piesposted 12 years ago

My blog is a Blogger blog...which is a Google product. Today a new check box showed up in the place where we can set up hyperlinks. It is an option to make the link "no follow". 

I've looked at the learning page they provide to explain it but I don't think I get what the advantage might be. Understanding it could help us a little in understanding how Google works...at least I think so .  Can anybody help me with this?  Here is the link: http://support.google.com/webmasters/bi … swer=96569

1. nightbear profile image59
      nightbearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I agree with that.  If you're linking to a relevant picture,video or other websites (which you don't own), that's a positive thing.   Google takes those outgoing links as a sign that you're doing your research and adding value, by finding other online resources to help your readers.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Pics as well? Oh didn't know that thanks Marisa smile I'm just 6 months into writing etc so pretty new at this stuff - somewhat new wink

Thanks again - I won't do it then big_smile

Pictures may be more debatable - but the point is, leaving them "do follow" won't do any harm, as far as I'm aware, so why waste time coding them when it's not necessary?

Ok wink

2. lobobrandon profile image89

Nightbear has explained it perfectly. When you say no-follow the website that you link to isn't promoted by your blog. So it doesn't work as a backlink

1. profile image0
        jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So why would one want to be a no follow?  Er, when should you use no follow?

1. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because if you have lots of links and you're telling Google they're all worth something to those other sites... then Google will think your blog looks spammy and that you'll give a good link to any site, instead of selected good sites. In basic terms anyway.

It's also there so when people comment on your content with a link to their own site, it doesn't help their own site in Google's eyes.

1. profile image0
            jenuboukaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sweet, thanks for the clarification.

You should use no follow if you want to tell the search engines I'm not promoting this guy but just linking to him. Don't count it as a backlink.

Sinea Piesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My latest blog post has 6 links to really great sites that should be a real bonus to my readers. Am I understanding it correctly that I want them to "follow" and it will enhance my post in Google's "eyes"?

Another question. The two photos I used in the blog post are flickr. I should have made those links "no follow" right?  I'll have to go back and do that.

Yes make the flickr links no-follow.

The other  links you could keep them as follow or no-follow its upto you. No-follow doesn't mean your readers can't click the link - they see it as a normal link and everything is exactly the same only search engines don't consider it as a backlink for the site you're linking to.

If you truly appreciate the websites you've linked to I'd suggest keeping them as a do-follow as that's a way of saying thanks to the owner of those websites. But, only if you really want to give them a backlink from your blog

2. WryLilt profile image88

No, it will enhance those other site's pages in Google's eyes. You're basically telling Google "I support these sites, rank them higher in Google".

And yes, Flickr links definitely don't need to be dofollow.

3. Marisa Wright profile image87

You would also do it if you had a lot of, say, Amazon affiliate links on your site.  You don't want Google to think your site is just a landing page to sell affiliate products (even if it is!)

Excellent point. I wish I could "think and speak Google" more fluently. But I am learning. Thanks for adding one more great piece of knowledge.

3. profile image0
      bri36posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Sinea Pies for bringing this up and helping those of us that are trying to move forward. Knowledge is power top us all iT we can understand it  right?

2. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

Do you think that HP will have that option at any time soon? I have gotten some hits on a couple of pictures that I don't want. It would be nice to be able to stop that.

You can make them No follow if you wish. I'll be doing it for my hubs on Sunday and once I do it - I'll post the html code here. Its something like rel=nofollow
      I'll have to look it up though

1. nightbear profile image59

Deleted

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image80
          Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you both! Great and useful info. Voted up!  big_smile

I always use the new tab thing smile Thanks for the no follow code big_smile

3. Sinea Pies profile image61

Love it, Nightbear. I am the big "open in a new window" herald. Wrote a hub on it. The additional html is so good to know.  This online writing stuff has a lot more work to it than meets the eye but it's well worth the effort.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

How are you going to manage to use HTML code in your Hubs, pray?

1. WryLilt profile image88

Have they changed the ability to use basic HTML using the HTML button in edit mode?

U don't know? In each capsule when you edit it you can go to HTML on the top left of each capsule. I use the open in new tab thing already just have to add the no follow. I wonder if it will accept the no follow code - But, I don't see why not

What I truly wish they would offer is html editing in our profiles. It bothers me that any links we add will not open in a new window.

That's true smile

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I always understood that function was very limited, to prevent people adding bannners etc.  I'll be interested to hear whether the no follow code works.

If it doesn't HP should make it possible, anyway I'll be trying today. I checked and luckily Amazon caps are no-follow

Can you explain why you feel the need to make your outgoing links no-follow? 

I can understand with affiliate links, if you have a lot of them. I can't understand why you're concerned about links to any other site.

Making those links "no follow" is telling Google to ignore them. What's the benefit in that?  As you probably know, Google likes to see outgoing links to related sites, so you could adversely affect your Google ranking if you "no follow" unnecessarily.

I'm talking about the flickr links and stuff. I'd definitely not make any other links no follow. Just when I use others pics. I can't get pics of my own all the time

Why are links to pics a problem then?  IMO, leaving it "do follow" is part of thanking the photographer.

2. nightbear profile image59

Deleted

I'm not an expert, and I don't follow any particular guru, but that's not my understanding at all. 

First, I agree - Google wants to see only relevant links.  Even a few irrelevant links are bad news. But Google's war on outgoing links is targeted specifically at penalizing landing pages and affiliate spam.  If you have a small blog (or a small HubPages sub-domain) stuffed with outgoing links, be careful - because if Google decides you've created a few token pages just to send readers elsewhere, you're in trouble.  But if you have a substantial collection of Hubs, there are advantages to linking out.

Google actually likes relevant links to reputable sites.  It demonstrates that you've done your research, and you're being helpful to your readers.  Google doesn't like selfish websites!

That's been well known on HubPages for a couple of years.  HubPages used to recommend 10 outgoing (related) links in a 1,500 word Hub.  Some Hubbers tried it and found that yes, adding the links improved their rank significantly.  I used to add mine below the comments in a "Further Reading" section, so Google could see them but readers wouldn't be tempted away - unfortunately we can't do that now.

One of my friends recently tried an experiment. She added fifty - yes, fifty - outgoing links to her blog, including competing websites.  They were all do follow.  She put them on pages that readers rarely visit - things like the Contact or Privacy pages.  Her blog shot up the SERPS.  I haven't gotten around to doing the same (I know, lazy) but I know two other people who repeated the experiment with the same result.

As for Flickr and other photo sites - I agree that Google knows what they are, but that's precisely why they're unlikely to be a problem.  Google knows  they're not spammy sites, and they're a useful resource for webmasters to source images.  So why on earth would they penalize webmasters for using them?  You'll notice even a small site like HubPages makes exceptions for Flickr in their link restrictions, so it would be easy for Google to do the same.

Like I say, I'm not an expert, but I've found it's never a good idea to listen to just one "guru".

2. Sinea Pies profile image61

Yikes, nightbear....I am so over-social marketed that I don't have a Google + account. So I need one to help conquer Google SEO?

3. Scribenet profile image61
    Scribenetposted 12 years ago

Great info on the no-follow. I haven't paid attention until now, this explains it and I like the information on the code! Thank you!

me too

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)