Ohio school district sued for banning 'Jesus Is Not a Homophobe' Tee

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 12 years ago

Ohio school district sued for banning 'Jesus Is Not a Homophobe' T-shirt
    An Ohio high school student says school officials are violating his freedom of expression because they won’t let him wear a T-shirt bearing the slogan “Jesus Is Not a Homophobe.”

The shirt, high school student Maverick Couch told the Cincinnati Enquirer, is designed to show support for the "Day of Silence," on April 20, a national event that puts a spotlight on how bullying keeps gay and lesbian students from speaking out.
    http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/ … be-t-shirt
    have the kids and parents gone too far,pushing the Freedom Of Speech, defense with a lawsuit?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 12 years agoin reply to this

This is actually a tough one for me.  Ultimately I'm gonna come down on the side of the kid because there is no ban on wearing religious symbols to school and the word "homophobe" is certainly not sexually in nature.  The message itself is no more indecent than a t-shirt with a man nailed to a cross.  So no, it isn't too far for the parents to bring a lawyer in because there is an inequity in the law that violates the separation of church and state.  All views or none.

You know I love you L.L. but I've got to agree with Stacie too.  School should be about education and politics distracts from that at high-school level and below.  If it were a college setting it would be different.

1. livelonger profile image86
        livelongerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, maybe. I don't remember t-shirts being banned in my high school unless they were obscene, but, well, it's been more than a few years since I've been in high school. wink

2. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

"Maverick Couch told the Enquirer that school officials said the shirt was “indecent and sexual in nature.”"

Yes, that's total crap reasoning. From the description the article gives there's nothing untoward about the shirt at all apart from having a message that some would disagree with.

When I was in high school every third guy it seemed owned at least one "Big Johnson" shirt and freely wore it to school. No one ever said a word.

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Today there is so many more outlets to get your message across. on the 'net
      People want notoriety and any message shirt that is disrupting to the learning process,is unacceptable.
      I beleive in school dress codes and wrote about it. These can be worn after school hours.

I think that t-shirt has a message that would be educational to more than just a few students (and teachers).

Stacie Lposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes I agree,but attend any school board meetings lately?
          They don't want any controversial subjects that may instigate a riot or cause more bullying.

No, I haven't! As I said before, my personal experience is really well out of date tongue. If school boards today have different standards as you and Melissa have said, then I can certainly understand your position.

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
              Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Do they? Not my experience, nor my son's. Clearly school boards would not want any controversy that instigated a riot. And, let's face it, after the riots they would not want their hypocracy highlighted. Have to disagree with you, Melissa. This is not a political issue, tis a human rights issue. And, when an individuals human rights are breached, particularly in a learning environment, so is their education. It needs to be addressed, just like racism and sexism. Equality in education is paramount. If we shrug it off as "activism" we are denying a lot of children the right of passage.

2. Eric Newland profile image60
        Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I see what you're saying and I even tend to agree. In this case, though, it's all about whether there's a double standard.

3. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Ist ev'rybody becoming good little Nazis? You would be shocked if you knew what is not allowed in your local school. Pink Floyd "The Wall" really comes to mind.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

It is just a cause oriented statement - the one printed in the shirt!

That high school in Ohio is a guinea pig. I think this is part of a process so that next time, other school (high school) district boards will be more careful in stating clearly what are the specific type of clothes marks or prints allowed! Rules are vague and sweeping mostly when you look at handbooks.

5. carterchas profile image60
    carterchasposted 12 years ago

To me, this is easy.

This is clearly a question of political speech which the Supreme Court has ruled is protected, even in schools. The T-shirt isn't about sex; it's about fear of homosexuals. 

The school board might have a case if it promoted homosexuality.  But it doesn't.  It is simply a commet about attitudes.

6. carterchas profile image60
    carterchasposted 12 years ago

In 1968, the Supreme Court said that poltical speech was protected unless it caused a disruption...and because the school didn't like or approve of it did not constitute a disruption.
    School uniforms came after my time in school, but the schools are still not exempt from the rules of political speech. 
    I suggest you read this article (from the A.C.L.U.).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)