Need advice on adsense placement on my website

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 11 years ago

So I've got as far as creating some nice content (pages and posts) on my new website. Now I am experimenting with different adsense ads. Trouble I'm finding is it's not easy to place my ads where I would like to see them. Having trouble making space within the content (in the HTML) within the page. Is there a widget that works well for this or is it just trial and error? I would appreciate any advice! Thank-you!

BTW - I am using a Wordpress theme.

1. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may not be a good idea to use Adsense at first.  There's such a thing as "smart pricing" which may or may not exist:  the idea is that if you are showing ads and rarely getting a click, Google may downgrade your site. 

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/4840

It's much safer to look for affiliate products to match your subject. They pay better too!

1. WryLilt profile image90
        WryLiltposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe. Maybe not. I certainly don't have enough of my own websites to run a test, but I have several which are lucky to get a handful of clicks a month. And they all seem to match or beat my per click earnings for HP Adsense.

Although I guess there are plenty of variables in there, I'm just happy to be making money off my sites.

Not quite sure what you're saying, Wry? 

Are you saying your Adsense on your sites is doing just as well as your Adsense on HubPages?  Or are you saying your affiliate links are doing better than Adsense?

The first one. I don't use affiliate links while I build up site content, generally.

Why not?   None of the affiliate networks will penalize you for lack of traffic, so it makes sense to use them from the beginning.  It's Adsense which is risky because of the risk of smart-pricing (which can affect your entire account, by the way, not just the site which isn't getting the clicks).

1. Because I'm too lazy big_smile
                2. Oh wait that's probably it smile

Now Wry, I know you're not lazy.

It really is worth doing a bit of research and finding some relevant products (just Google "affiliate program" and your topic).  I find I get at least 10 times the pay per 1,000 views on my affiliate links and banners, compared to Adsense - even though I only get paid on affiliate links if someone buys.

I should. I know. My to-do list just keeps getting longer... last course at uni, plus a few other things I want to study, plus want to start an internet business in October.

I think I shall get my virtual assistant to do some research for me!

2. WriteAngled profile image75
                    WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I put a few affiliate links on my site and have not had a single sale in over a year. I do however get a few Adsense clicks every month.

2. WryLilt profile image90
    WryLiltposted 11 years ago

Hi Dorsi -

I use AdSense Now! Lite, a plugin which I find quite good for placing adverts in my posts and pages. It also suppresses any adverts over the page limit (for instance you can only have three adsense link boxes per page etc etc).

On a couple of my sites I use the Adsense Lite plugin to add the Adsense to my posts/pages and then use the text widget box to insert an advert in the sidebar as well.

Hope that helps!

1. Dorsi profile image89
      Dorsiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Wry. I did see that Widget - it was hard trying to figure out which one would work best. I like the idea that it doesn't let you put more ads then allowed too.
      One question - the "text widget box" - is that a box that you can ad within the post/page? from your Dashboard? Is that how people make different text areas within their content?

The widget area is a pre selected area (usually in the sidebar or footer) which appears on EVERY page on your site. It's basically like the logo or name of your page, but you can put anything you want there, by going to the "widget" area in your WP backend.

3. Dorsi profile image89
    Dorsiposted 11 years ago

What a great conversation this is. I have put an Amazon capsule on my website too but same issue with placement. It's not where I want it. So do I use the text widget box in the dashboard of Wordpress for that too? Thank you guys rock!

If you want it in the sidebar, you use the text widget and paste in the HTML from Amazon. 

I've sent you an email but it may end up in your spam folder because it includes a lot of links.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)