Related Hubs Show Various Car Hubs on all of my hubs.

Jump to Last Post 1-25 of 25 discussions (134 posts)
  1. Dale Hyde profile image81
    Dale Hydeposted 12 years ago

I posted this in the "Need Help:Ask Here" Topic and it was suggested that I post it here as it seems that others are having the same problem, no matter the tweaking of the tags on our hubs.

"I have been reading various hubs and tutorials about adjusting tags on our hubs to have them pull in related hubs in the side bar on the right. I have went through all my hubs and tweaked them and many have better related hubs now, however, it seems like there repeatedly are hubs about cars/trucks that keep showing up in the mix. I can not figure out the tags that may be pulling them in as related hubs. Any ideas?"

You can view the topic/thread here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/95208#post2032666

1. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
      FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I have had hubs about cars in my hubs-regardless of the topic of my actual hubs. They are still there. Unsure why.

Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I am working through the tags again, FloraBreenRobinson...the hubs come from the tags we add to our hubs...but some I simply can not figure out as there are no similar tags shared between my hubs and the car hubs that are showing up.

Okay.

2. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My thoughts are that if the search engine can't find specific keywords(tags), or if no tags were given,  it takes the next best thing.
      The same as when you search for something online. The first 3-4 pages will show the complete line you put in but search pages further on show less and less of the line that was searched for.

You are talking about the HP search engine, right? I would agree that it may need to be tweaked if it is doing this. Search engines can be filtered to the best of my knowledge.

As mentioned, it was my understanding that the tags were what regulated the related hubs, and not the keywords contained within the article itself.

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
        Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Bogus!  There are plenty of related hubs available on most of my subjects.  I should know, I wrote many of them!  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

3. SmartAndFun profile image94
        SmartAndFunposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Using my own hubs as an example, they all have tags, and there are plenty of hubs written on the same or similar topics. I write housewife/homemaker/mommy stuff, which is a dime a dozen.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61

My goodness!  How hard could it be to design a program for related subjects?  Someone with hubs in the auto niche ought to be happy enough about it!  lol

1. SmartAndFun profile image94

The system has worked well for me until recently. I was getting good traffic from a couple of HP subdomains of writers who have some articles similar to mine. In fact, I didn't understand it and thought I had a couple of stalkers. I went on the forum to ask why a hubber would be visiting one particular hub or mine over and over, not realizing it was traffic I was getting from their hubs. Now those numbers are at zero. Of course, I guess it could be that some better, more suitable article has come along since then and bumped mine off. Hopefully that is the case and I haven't been bumped by a car article.

No, somethings been changed recently.  Formerly, related hubs--both mine and others writing 0n the same topic--were always shown under the "related Hubs" section on the page.  I know this to be true, because in some of my niches all of those displayed would be mine.  One tends to notice this and the traffic one receives to other hubs because of it.  Something has been changed by someone, no doubt!  mad

It was seemingly working well for me up until recently.. I would say I started noticing this about two to three weeks ago, but was figuring it was just a specific hub.  It was not until I read about the IMPORTANCE of using the proper tags to get the proper related hubs displaying for a higher ranking with Google, due to a "related" link on the page,  that I went and noticed the problem was rather extensive.

3. Jason Menayan profile image59
      Jason Menayanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for bringing this to our attention, Dale and SmartAndFun. We'll take a look and see what's going on.

I missed this Jason! Sorry about that. These forum threads are hard to follow at times, lol.  Thanks so much!

4. profile image0
      kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I agree my ads never seem relevant to my content or tags they circle in random

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
    SmartAndFunposted 12 years ago

I posted in that original thread, also. I write cooking, home decorating and child-related hubs, typical homemaker stuff, and in the "related hubs" section I am also getting articles about cars listed on my hubs. Must be some sort of glitch? I don't think my readers will bring the auto writers much traffic, or vice versa. Thanks in advance for looking at this problem!

3. FloraBreenRobison profile image60
    FloraBreenRobisonposted 12 years ago

My example. I wrote a poem about my cat being everything to me:  among the related hubs:
    "The Day I Gave Up My Car."

Nowhere in my poem did I suggest I would have a difficult time getting her to the vet if I did not have a car because I gave the car up.

Edit: the tags I have are "Poem" and "Cat."

The car hub is still up.

I have one up about the health hazards of those "boom cars" The thumping stereos on wheels.  I took the "car" tag off to see if that was it...so far the car ads are still there. It is sad to have to delete the KEY tag, lol. I will keep an eye on this one and see if the related car hubs disappear.

4. SmartAndFun profile image94

"Winter Emergency Car Kit" seems to show up over and over in my hubs. I cannot figure a reason why or find any way my hubs relate to that one. That hub only has 8 tags total, and they are very specific to a winter emergency car kit.

5. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

Update: That hub is now gone from the related hubs in my cat poem. smile

However, It's still in a hub I wrote about weather in Spring.

Oh, well I was just about to ask you if your cat is named Toonces. I guess not. smile

smile No. Her name is Amy.  Perhaps that is a brand name of a car?

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

I haven't had car hubs show up, but I did get a hub about Ladies Shoe Lovers on a  poem I wrote.  Nothing to do with shoes or fetishes in the poem.  Hmmm.

Did you all report this in case there's a way for someone to seed their hubs with hidden tags or something odd?  I don't know if that's even possible - I just guessed at it.

I am not good at all with computer stuff, so I have no idea. I'm just assuming it is some sort of glitch that hopefully the HP tech team can fix. It doesn't appear that the authors of the car hubs are any one particular hubber, so I don't think it's someone being sneaky.

LOL at the shoe fetish hub!

2. Dale Hyde profile image81

Hello Marcy.  I only reported it here as was suggested in the original post. Not sure where else to report it.

It was my suggestion. Thanks, Dale, for starting the thread. I'm just thinking it's a glitch that can be/needs to be fixed. It just seems weird that several of us are getting related hubs about cars when we don't write about anything even remotely related to cars. Related hubs are not something I normally pay attention to, so perhaps others are the same and there are more of us having this problem than anyone realizes. According to my stats, my views from other hubbers' subdomains are way down, so it is a valid concern.

Thanks SmartAndFun. I am not sure which is the views on the stats from hubbers' subdomains.  Of course I am under three months here or right at three months so I don't have a tremendous amount of stats.  (I hope to hit 10,000 views in a week however....Totally unrelated, lol!)

If you go to your account, on the "hubs" page, one of the options in the dark gray box is "traffic sources." Click on that and it will tell you where your views are coming from. At first I thought I had a couple of stalker hubbers, who were visiting certain hubs of mine over and over. So I asked about it on the forum, and Izzy was nice enough to fill me in that those views are most likely coming from people who were reading the other hubber's similar hub, saw my hub listed as a related one, and clicked over to mine.

I would love to hit 10,000 views in a day! So far my best day has been just over 300, so I've got a ways to go! Good luck to you, you'll probably get there first!

Okay, I have seen that as well, and now I have a better understanding of what that means, lol.  I had no idea. So when it shows those clicks it is where one of my related hubs is showing on their page. Cool. smile  Now I can "digest" those stats better now.  And...they are lower by the way.

Oh, by the way, that is 10,000 views for my duration here, lol, not one day.  I average like 200 to 300 hundred on a good day.

2. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

The highest I have ever been was about 450 views a day and that is only when I was publishing lots in a short period of time.

That is good, Flora!  I have one hub pulling in a lot of views, but it is seasonal, alas... but it should keep doing well for several more months. smile

Marcy, out of curiosity I looked at one of your hubs, and sure enough, on the very first try...

It's your hub titled "Category Five Hurricane: How I Survived Hurricane Camille." I'm sorry to report the related hubs listed include:

*How to Replace a Mazda CX-7 Cabin Air Filter
      *Checking Your Tires Made Simple: Air Pressure
      *How to Replace Honda Civic Cabin Air Filter

LOL, I guess?

I've just checked quite a few of my hubs in different niches and guess what?  A large majority of them have some sort of auto related hubs on them.  Even those with nothing whatsoever to do with automobiles. 

Funny though, many have the same related hubs and are displayed on my entirely different niches.  Some of these lucky auto niche writers must have their hubs posted on literally thousands of our pages.  Most of them I've never heard of on HP.  sad

This bound to be hurting those of us with how-to niche hubs.

I've lately been getting more google hits that HP hits  when I've not just published a hub. I thought it was because my google was picking up. Maybe it just bad related hubs via tags. I'm not impressed here. sad

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is Google traffic picking up, don't worry about it smile

7. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

One tag I've used before which seems to get related hubs about cars is the word "change" -apparently because cars need the tires, oil, etc. changed.

I am seeing such things as well, Flora... I am steadily working on them as we write, lol.  I don't necessarily want my related hubs to show up there, but that is cool if they do, but I do what subject related hubs/links  there.

But what does get me is the "change" one... they may list that in the hub itself, but not in the tags.  I was under the assumption that only hubs with the "same" tags would show up as related.

Seems like maybe the "how to" is an enemy as well!

Oh yes. That is a sure-fire way to get a car hub on the related links.

Seems like there needs to be some kind of a filter on subject matter, however.... I mean if you do a how to hub on something the only "how to" related links should be just that..... "how to" do something similar to what your hub is about.  Like if you did a "how to" on rain gutters, the related links should be at least focused on "how to" home related hubs.

8. SmartAndFun profile image94

I cannot find a connection to the car hubs displayed on my pages even as broad as "how to."

How about the how to create a quiet bedroom? Or something along those lines,SmartAndFun?  That was one of yours I was looking at... have mailed you about that.

Well, my peaceful bedroom hub does not have the phrase "How To" in it. However, it does mention white noise machines, and from there the car-related theme latches on with one about "white exhaust." Then it seems to make the leap from the word 'white' to anything car related. After the 'white exhaust" hub comes the ever-favorite "Winter Emergency Car Kit," then "Important Things to Remember in a Car Maintenance Check." I do have the word "things" in my peaceful bedroom hub, LOL.

The question is, since there are thousands of hubs that have a common word or phrase such as "How To," why are the so-called "related" (yet-actually-not-at-all-related) hubs always about cars? Very strange and curious. That tells me it's a glitch.

You have the tag, "how to make a restful bedroom", SmartAndFun, in that hub. I just had to go and check again, lol.

I agree with you about all the car hubs showing up versus all the other categories of "how to" hubs that are here! 

I do hope it is a glitch and the HP will deal with it and/or advise us on it.

Ahhh, so I do. I was looking just at the text, LOL. Either way, hopefully the HP team can get this sorted out tomorrow. It seems like these crazy things always happen on the weekend! Thanks again, Dale, for noticing this phenomenon!

It is the weekend web gremlins at work!

Don't count on it!  I reported the same thing a few weeks ago.  Unrelated hubs in the "Related Hubs" section and, like you guys, still do not see tags which could pull up the car related hubs listed.  They even show up in my survival related articles among other unrelated topics.  Unfortunately, after being accused of complaining by Jason, I was coincidentally banned the next day for 7 days.

So this is nothing new.  Visitors to our hubs are pointed to other hubs totally unrelated to the one they were searching for.  It hurts both the writer and HP too if the reader simply leaves instead of visiting another related article by the author or another Hub writer.  A lose-lose situation. 

Unless of course, you happen to be one of the writers of the much advertised "unrelated hubs" being pushed on the page.  It's a screw-up, don't let anyone tell you different.

Thanks Randy. I missed you raising this subject previously. Appreciate you sharing.  I did some more deleting of tags to see how it will change things on many of my hubs and the related hubs.  No changes are showing as of yet, however.  Maybe tomorrow there will be some.

I missed that thread as well, but thanks for filling me in. And yes, it is not good for business. I don't think visitors to my hubs want to read about cars. The space on our hubs where HP lists related hubs is valuable real estate but if they are advertising car hubs to my readers they are wasting it. They might as well be advertising blowdryers to bald men. The traffic coming to my hubs from HP subdomains with truly related articles is way down, and it makes me wonder if all these car hubs have taken the place that mine used to hold on other hubbers' related articles. Like I said before, it's very weird that the unrelated hubs are always about cars. Makes me think I smell a glitch.

blowdyers to bald men? smile

I'm glad you guys are reporting it now.  It's hard for HP to pooh-pooh it when many are seeing the same thing.  Perhaps they'll take you guys seriously.  I sure have no luck conversing with them.  smile

So far no response as of yet, Randy. Maybe it takes time to catch up on Mondays after a weekend off, lol.

Well at least Jason thanked you guys for reporting it and said they'd look into it.  You saw what kind of reaction I got when I did the same 2 weeks ago. lol  I feel like the late, great, Rodney Dangerfield!  tongue

3. Dale Hyde profile image81

Umm.... they make hair dryers for men like me? haha! smile

9. IzzyM profile image87
    IzzyMposted 12 years ago

I just noticed that on a hub about protecting children, all the related hubs refer to car problems.

Guess I used a 'how to' tag. They need to sort that.

I'm still not convinced it's because of a "how to" tag. Perhaps I'm wrong, though.

I certainly do agree, Izzy, that this needs to be looked into.  I certainly did not know it was so widespread through the site and hubs.

10. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

Just read a humour hub about how not to make money on this site. All the hubs in the related hubs relate to cars. Not one reference to cars was in the hub.

That's what I'm talkin'bout! smile What's the deal with that? There must be something to this!

There were 2 threads 2 weeks ago discussing this obvious glitch.  Here's the one I referred to:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/94375#post2015025

Thanks Randy, for the link. I have been noticing this for quite some time as well, however, it was not until I read a hub on the topic of keywords and tags that I came to find that the related hubs are tagged related.

Whatever the reason, it sucks, Dale!  It didn't used to be this way, at least not as bad as it is now.  HP really needs to do something about this screw-up or we'll continue to lose money from it.  I'll bet those few whose hubs are being splattered all over the site are lovin' it, though!  mad

I agree that it is an earning issue for use, a loss for some of us, and as you mention, a gain for those whose hubs are about cars!

11. Dale Hyde profile image81

I am seeing new posts in notifications to this topic, but when I get here I see no new posts.  Show several by Izzy and one new one by Randy. Anyone else not seeing them...hopefully you can see this, lol.

Could be the notification thing is glitching out on me, I reckon.

Ahh.. I can see them if I switch to chronological...

12. FloraBreenRobison profile image60

Because of the unavailability of an image anymore that had been on hubs related to song titles, I've had to revisit and replace them all. In doing so, I have noticed that the related hubs, which used to be about musicians, are now about cars.

I am still seeing them as well Flora after several hours of "adjusting" my tags last evening. I guess we will have to wait on Jason to look into it and see if the technical folks can figure this one out. Thanks for the additional information...shows us that it is still doing the same.

2. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Cars are musicians too! big_smile

This is true. The Beach Boys wrote about cars, of course...smile

You know, Flora, I have a hub about Boom Cars...loud critters you know? I took out every tag that mentioned "car"...nothing automotive, or driving in the tags, but all SIX "related" hubs are about "cars"... I changed all of this last night. Not pushing my hub here, but a perfect example.

Yep, I was sorta scolded about the tags being related 2 weeks ago. But apparently I was right about the unrelated hubs being shown.  Heck, even a blind hog will find a truffle every once in a while!  lol

13. Greekgeek profile image79
    Greekgeekposted 12 years ago

Apparently Hubpages thinks "Search Engine Optimization" is about cars as well, since it's putting car hubs in the sidebar.

And no, I didn't write the word "engine" as a tag by itself. Only within the phrase.

14. SmartAndFun profile image94

It has been a full week. Any word on this? I did a little looking this morning, and while my hubs on cooking, makeup, baby names and fashion seem to have appropriate related hubs listed, many other topics, such as decorating, parenting and children are showing related hubs having to do with cars, motorcycles and heavy equipment.

Is any part of this mystery mix-up solved?

There has been no change that I have seen, SmartAndFun. I have managed to get rid of some, but it just is too much work. An example...a hub on the use of wild plants for various things, well I have taken everything out, but have left "wild" in the tags, because it is about Wild Plants, lol.  I have a hub there about so and so's "wild" party. I have basically given up trying to tweak for related hubs. The last hub I did, I used only two tags. Maybe on the one I am working on now I will use one tag.

Doesn't it seem like the system would also be looking at the categories we place our hubs in, and not just the tags we add? Mixing cars and decorating seems weird to me, as does mixing cars and child modeling. Two of my hubs are written on similar topics and have many of the same tags, yet one advertises car hubs and the other does not. Weird.

OK sorry, I'm not trying to get this whole thing flamed up again. I was just wondering if anyone at HP could shed some light on this or give us a hint about what has happened and whether or not a possible solution is coming soon?

Well, Jason was supposed to get back to us on this glitch but is has been a while since we posted about this detrimental aspect of the related hubs feature.

So instead of having related hubs of our own for visitors to visit, they are suggesting articles which the searcher's are, in all likelihood, not even close to being interested in.  I believe this costs us and HP traffic and earnings as the visitor will perhaps leave the page for another site. 

With all of the losses in traffic lately, I would think this would be especially important to have truly related hubs on this site to refer to rather than those now exhibited.  Time will tell, I suppose! smile

Yes, it is their loss of revenue as well as ours!

Well I do have patience and time..if not, would have to get some, Randy. smile

I have noticed that perhaps this posting here has been detrimental to my hubber's score. I have gone from 94 down to 84, lol. That is with being "normally" active in the forums, questions, comments, hub hopping, as well as publishing 3 or so hubs in the past few days. Maybe it is tied into the glitch as well, haha!

Yeah, I was trying to give them some time to figure it out before bringing it back up again. I figure a week is good timing to ask again.

Dale, didn't you know about the ten hubber points it costs to start a thread about a problem? That's why I suggested you start it instead of starting one myself! wink

Me too!  I was considering reopening this thread this very morning since we haven't heard anything else concerning it.  I suppose we are the only ones who see it as harming the site and our earnings.  smile

Ahh...that mystery is solved! Thanks there "Smart"AndFun..."Smart" move, lol! smile

Yep, it is strange how coincidental things can appear here lately.  Surely that's all it is, though!  Heck, I got banned for 7 days, lost 4 accolades, and was called a complainer the first time I brought this subject up.  Imagine how I felt about the coincidences!    roll

I would truly hope and think it is coincidental, Randy.. Sorry for what happened to you. But it is an evident glitch. Many have spoken of it here, so it is not limited to just a few folks validating the issue.

Hey Dale, FYI, yesterday I went in to some of my older hubs and did little things to improve them, like moving photos up above the fold and linking some similar ones together. I also took a look at their amazon products and put new merch into those with holes from items that are no longer available. Today my score is up. Just an observation...

I did similar over the past several days, shaded my Amazon and Ebay capsules, cleaned up tags, cleaned up what was displaying in the ad capsules as well as some very unrelated items were showing up. I guess the tweaking does pay off! I have noticed a slight increase as well. A little over a week ago, I worked with every hub I have focusing on keywords and did some tuning on that as well, SweetAndFun.

Yeah but, has this helped any with the "unrelated hubs" being displayed on you guy's stuff?  I know my best trafficked hub has only one related article displayed when several of mine are usually listed.  All auto related articles share the other spots.  I know this is costing me traffic to my other related hubs as this hub used to send more traffic to my other niche articles.

Oh well, it's costing HP money too, so I hope they get their act together soon. 

No, this has not helped except in maybe two instances where I dropped the tags down to just a couple, Randy. I still have unrelated hubs on the majority of my hubs.

Sorry, Randy, I was hijacking a bit and writing to Dale about hubber scores. So far nothing I've done has made the auto hubs go away, but like you I do not wish to waste time experimenting, especially if it doesn't work.

Nothing wrong with getting it active again, as it is costing us revenue for sure, SmartAndFun. It does seem like it is reading the article and not just the tags for the related hubs.

15. SmartAndFun profile image94

I have wondered if maybe everyone sees different related hubs even when we're viewing the same pages? Maybe somehow the related hubs are tailored to the viewer as opposed to the hub itself? Maybe other hubbers aren't seeing all the auto hubs that we are. Of course, that wouldn't work for guest viewers who have no viewing history. Also, that I can remember, I haven't viewed any auto hubs that might have triggered a bunch of auto related hubs to come up for me.

The hubs I have checked on, that others related to, show me the same related links, SmartAndFun. I don't think they are related to the viewer at at. They should be static.

Good to know. Thanks, Dale.

16. Randy Godwin profile image61
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Hump!

17. SmartAndFun profile image94

I just answered a question about cooking with peppers, and even the question had automotive hubs displaying, LOL. All three of them!

Unfortunately, now that there is a big brouhaha going on about the content site that has stolen thousands of our hubs, I'm afraid HP will never get around to looking into this.

Funny though, the site with all our stolen content shows related hubs that really are related! big_smile

That's no surprise, SAF!  And you are probably correct, as long as other things are popping up to distract HP staff I doubt this will be addressed anytime soon. 

Too bad as my adsense is really kicking in on my best hub with the visitors being stuck with automotive hubs as related instead of those which would give them more info on what they originally searched for.  This continues to smell bad!  I'll bet the auto repair authors like it though!! sad

2. Jason Menayan profile image59

SmartAndFun: Can you give some examples of your Hubs so I can give them to engineering? I looked at one of Marcy's before, but now all of the related Hubs really are related. Thanks!

1. Greekgeek profile image79
        Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My Google-related hubs are still showing occasional car-related hubs. I'm guessing "search engine" is getting parsed as two separate words, even though the tag is a two-word tag (that is, I didn't tag "engine" separately).

http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/socia … -backlinks
        http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/Googl … -Backlinks
        http://greekgeek.hubpages.com/hub/googl … ounce-rate

1. Jason Menayan profile image59

Very helpful - thank you, Greekgeek!

Here are a few of mine. These hubs are on topics such as gymnastics, decorating and children's activities:

http://smartandfun.hubpages.com/hub/Wha … Gymnastics

http://smartandfun.hubpages.com/hub/Ten … e-Peaceful

http://smartandfun.hubpages.com/hub/Eas … a-Bathroom

http://smartandfun.hubpages.com/hub/Rai … s-for-Kids

It doesn't seem to be as rampant as it was last week. I checked most of my recipe hubs, and they seem to be OK. "Purple Painting Ideas for a Girls Room" and my baby name hubs only have one each now, and they had several car hubs last week, if I remember correctly. In my hub about power tumbling/gymnastics, however, all of them are about cars. Very strange. Thank you for looking at this! I have a feeling it might be happening to many more hubbers, they just never thought to look at their related hubs.

Jason, here is a link to a hub about boom cars and health related issues to the loud music. All "car" related tags have been moved over a week ago, as I am trying to get pollution and health related hubs to show. But to no avail, all six related hubs are about "cars".

http://dalehyde.hubpages.com/hub/The-Bo … Our-Health

Here is a hub about a Native American Indian Healer/Chief that I studied under and only one related hub out of the six:

http://dalehyde.hubpages.com/hub/Chief- … Remembered

Here is a video hub, honoring Earth Day, with three "car" related hubs:

http://dalehyde.hubpages.com/video/Some … s-To-Offer

That is three examples and there are more.

Geez!!  There must be thousands of car related hubs being pushed on HP if our hubs are any indication.  I advise people to check out their hubs because this could definitely hurt writers with certain niches as far as traffic and earnings are concerned.  yikes

Here is a new one just published. Still working on it, but not the tags. Tags are "Drying Herbs" & "Storing Herbs". The title of the Hub is "How To Properly Preserve And Store Herbs For Year Round Use"

Note in the title is the wording "year round"... you will also note that at least three related hubs are showing up are centered on those words, nothing to do with the two tags. So the Related Hubs is searching the whole hub to relate to, not just the tags.  That is my conclusion. Hence any wording in any hub can be related to 1000's of non-related hubs.

http://dalehyde.hubpages.com/hub/How-To … d-Use?done

But why does it seem to key in on auto related terms for the most part?  Apparently, something in the related hubs program needs fine tuning! 

Some of my hubs are related to air, water, pollution, environment, etc...so the car hub may have things about those in there as well, as cars have air in the tires, water in them, create pollution of the environment and so on. I can see how car hubs would have many related individual words in them that could be found in other hubs. But then again, so should other hubs. I am very disappointed in this recent hub, Randy. I made sure I kept the tags light and simple yet I am pulling in three totally unrelated hubs. Maybe tomorrow there will even be some car hubs there.

LOL at the tune-up joke. I think it is definitely some sort of glitch. Yes, there are 1000s of words that could be pulling up any number of unrelated hubs. Why are the "related" hubs so often having to do with cars, motorcycles and machinery? It's just too much of a coincidence. And why aren't the related hubs looking at the categories we have placed our hubs in? If ANY SORT of baby-related hubs were shown in my baby name hubs, from baby food to baby equipment to baby health to baby clothes to pregnancy issues, I wouldn't mind. I don't mind if they're not showing my other baby name hubs. But cars and motorcycles? Why is it always cars? That tells me it's a glitch. Sorry for the run-on rant. Can you tell I've had a few glasses of wine with dinner? Drinking and posting, never a good idea, LOL. wink

A few glasses of wine often gives one the right perspective on things which otherwise makes no sense at all.  But not this one.  Perhaps a bottle or two of tequila might help, though!  I can just see those unrelated hub pics blown up real big using the new formats HP is introducing now.  Rats!!  yikes

I ran across a perfume recipe yesterday with the new format. The first I had seen of a "live" hub using the new format. Love the look of the new format! However, it did cross my mind how unrelated links could be a disaster in the making for the new format as related links get a lot of show with big photos and the works.

18. Randy Godwin profile image61

Check out the related articles here.  This hub is about historical slave plantations.  Only 2 of the "related hubs" are auto niche related, but the others are not even close.  I can give you many different subject hubs with auto hubs suggested, if you like.  Survival, hunting, creative writing, history, real estate,  etc. all have auto related hubs on them.

http://randygodwin.hubpages.com/hub/Wha … In-America

Wow, Randy, you've got some car-related hubs in there, but the others are totally random! Mine seem to have either truly related hubs or car hubs, but you've got me beat for sure! I'm so sorry about that!

Ha! Don't be sorry, be glad yours aren't like mine.  And it's like that on many of my other hubs too.  But I appreciate you guys joining in with your links as they don't seem to pay much attention to me when I report glitches these days!  lol

19. SmartAndFun profile image94

Maybe the word "power" in my gymnastics hub is bringing on the car hubs. However, that does not explain why baby name hubs would have them. On the baby name hubs, the related hubs start out as other baby name hubs, then there's one for a baby car seat, and the car hub seems to spring from that one about car seats, maybe because of the word 'car.'

In my hub about making your bedroom peaceful I mention white noise machines. The related hubs start off being about white noise, then the auto hubs grab onto the word 'white' in a hub about "white exhaust,' and the car hubs take over from there.

Such a mystery! Thanks again for looking at this!

20. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Thanks for these additional links - they are helpful!

You are welcome.

21. Dale Hyde profile image81

Outside of unrelated hub links on the page being detrimental to a higher Google rankings as Google looks for related links on the page, I am now learning and/or thinking that the reason my "bounce rate" is so high in Google Analytics is for the same reasons. If folks exit the entrance page and go off of the site, well that shows a high bounce rate from what I am seeing in my research. So, if someone pops in to see about drying herbs and sees no related links for that subject matter, poof, off they go, instead of delving deeper into HubPages viewing related articles. If they did the later, my bounce rate would go down.

There's no doubt it hurts both us and the site, Dale.  If one has lots of hubs in a certain niche it becomes even more detrimental to the bounce rate and how Google looks at this entire site.  But perhaps with you guys speaking out someone on HP may finally take it seriously. 

22. SmartAndFun profile image94

Well, I am reporting that things seemed to have changed. Although the odd automotive-related hub remains here or there on a few of my hubs that have nothing to do with cars, different but still unrelated hubs are in their place. Here are a few examples:

My hub titled "Unique, Unusual Baby Names: Whimsical, Wonderful or Just Weird?" has these so-called related hubs:

*Suggested Music for the Eclectic Mind

*How to Kill a Dog Without Getting Caught

*The Best High Demand and High Paid Jobs from 2011 to 2020

*Where To Find RV Parks and Housing Near the North Dakota...

*Top 10 Most Unusual Places to Visit in Pennsylvania

The World's Most Unusual Wedding Dresses

My hub titled "What is Power Tumbling and how is it Different from Gymnastics?" features these "related" hubs:

Part 2: Training your body to develop home run power

Alexander Hamilton's Financial Proposal

Categorizing Hubs (Part One)

Megamind Costume

48 state charity motorcycle ride "Stumpin' Across America

How Much Energy Can We Have From Renewables

My hub titled "Easy Ways to Update a Bathroom" offers the reader these hubs:

How can I make money online without spending any?

Easy Ways to Save $100: Five Simple Household Skills That...

Recipe for oven roasted veggies: A great and easy way to...

Six Months After Stopping / Quitting Smoking the Easy Way

The Best Easy Way to Make Money Online is to Open a...

Darn. When I saw that things seemed to be changing I got my hopes up. They're not quite there yet, but at least it appears that someone is working on it. (I think?)

One can hope, lol! smile

23. Randy Godwin profile image61

The related images on my most visited hub are back to being actually related.  I haven't check the others yet, though.  Progress, at any rate! 

24. Jason Menayan profile image59
    Jason Menayanposted 12 years ago

Engineering has made some improvements to the Related Hubs algorithm, but we've also begun a larger, longer-term plan to further improve Related Hubs. Stay tuned. smile

Wonderful news. Thank you!

Thanks Jason! Great news!

25. WD Curry 111 profile image58
    WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Hey, ya'll. Whatever. I am just as happy to have any old hub on one of mind. I don't think it has to be related every single time. Maybe the reader will like a change of pace.

Sometimes there is something in the content that seems related to the mindless search engine. Maybe the author's cat likes to sleep on the warm hood of the car on cold days, or there is a calico seat cover or something.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)