French Open 2012--What are your predictions?

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (49 posts)
  1. MickiS profile image75
    MickiSposted 12 years ago

Anyone want to venture a guess at predicting the results for this year's French Open? It's about 6 weeks away and the clay court season is well under way.

I think this is the year that Nadal loses in the final. It just might be the year for Djokovic.

On the women's side, I hate to admit it, but Serena is looking the best she has in several years. That new (almost) vegan diet is working for her.

Thoughts?

1. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Any one of the top four (men) could win the French Open. Nadal is starting to look at his best again but you can never write off Federer or Djokovic.
      Not sure about Murray in the French - I expect him to get a Major this year but it's more likely to be Wimbledon or US Open - but he will have had several months with Lendl as his coach and that could be the final element that elevates him in the Majors.

If I was to predict I'd say Nadal - he has won 5 of the last six and he is hitting form. Perhaps a Nadal v Murray final (I think they'll be seeded 3 and 4 or 2 and 4 so that is possible!).

2. denisemai profile image66
      denisemaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

MickiS, it's Venus that is on the "chegan" diet (vegan diet that she cheats on). I'm a huge Williams sisters fan! Errani is looking great and my girl Sharapova is not looking so much like a "cow on ice" as she has described herself in the past. She's looking to be in great form if her shoulder holds up but if she makes it to the final, she'll have her hands full with either Stosur or Errani. They are better movers.

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I watched Nadal the other day, the guy is a machine.. he's definitely going to work hard to defend his title. Djokovic has not only the skill and strength but the voracious hunger to want to be the one to take the title. It will be exciting, as always, and I'm sure we're also going to see Federer and Murray playing some excellent tennis. At this point, I can't make a prediction, but I would love to see Djokovic prevail.

I really don't know about the women. I haven't followed the women as much this year.

I think this current crop of tennis players has to be some of the best performing athletes we have the pleasure of watching.

MickiSposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Totally agree with you that this current crop is some of the best ever--esp true on the men's side. I think in two years the women will be too. There are finally some exciting young players starting to develop: Kvitova, Azarenka, Rawdwanska, and Petkovic. Also good to see Ivanovic finally starting to get it back together.

2. jacobreeves profile image60
      jacobreevesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agree about Djokovic's hunger, I don't see anyone beating him.

3. tobey100 profile image59
    tobey100posted 12 years ago

It's the French Open.  By default, nobody wins.

4. SoManyPaths profile image59
    SoManyPathsposted 12 years ago

Djokovic looks to be the man still. Although Nadal and Murray have closed the gap with him losing in 5 sets which could have gone either way in Australia. Nadal was up 4-2 in the 5th in Melbourne so he should have won that. He did beat him in Monte Carlo so it may be a sign things are a' changin.

I'd like Wozniacki or Petkovic to win on the women's side.

5. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

I'll take Nadal.

Nadal has lost only one match ever I believe in the French, and that was 3 years ago to Soderling when he was having issues with his knees. He has a slight advantage over Djokovic on the clay.

So it should be Nadal and Djokovic in another great final. Although you never can count out Federer. I don't see anybody else possibly winning it.

hmmm, BLACKANDGOLDJACK, I migh have to agree with SoManyPaths on the Djokovic pick. The primary reason that Nadal beat Djok in Monte Carlo was that Djok's grandfather died 2 hours before his first match. Novak was struggling the whole tournament, and then barely lost to Nadal.

Nadal can't count on Djokovic losing a family member every time he wants to play him. And recently, Djokovic has owned Nadal.

1. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image72
        BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well then, MickiS, perhaps we should make a little wager.

Let's see. You're into recipes. The only thing I make is meatloaf. So I'll really cut you some slack here.

How about the loser has to write a hub entitled, "How to Eat Crow - a Recipe" or some such thing?

LOL! That's a great wager! Game on! Go Novak! :-)

6. STEVEW13 profile image60
    STEVEW13posted 11 years ago

Federer has really come back into form, and as we all know the tournament in this age is literally owned by Rafa, only ever having lost one match here. But I am going with Djokovic, and that will give him all 4 slams at the same time, which hasn't been achieved since Lendl many years ago I believe. That also keeps alive his dream of the calender slam!

Not a very outrageous semi prediction for me Djokovic v Federer and Ferrer v Nadal.

Very disappointing to see Serena lose yesterday, especially against such a low quality player, who was also barely able to walk at times in the third set. Prior to yesterday she had played 46 grand slams and NEVER lost in the first round. Azarenka was incredibly lucky to dig herself out of a 0-4 hole when a set down on Monday, Brianti totally bottled that. That would have left it wide open with the world number one and the woman the women fear most out in the first two days! You can't count Aza out but there is also Maria Sharapova, Sam Stosur and Li Na who are all very capable on this surface.

I think Sharapova wins it wit the last 4 being Stosur v Bartoli and Li v Sharapova

We will see....

7. ftclick profile image55
    ftclickposted 11 years ago

Nadal beat Djokovic in Rome so now it shifts back to Nadal being a favorite. Djokovic had a phenomenal 2011. Can he do it again?  Well, physically and mentally, I'd say yes but Nadal is also at full strength too. Murray or Federer needs to play lights out to beat both players in semis, then finals.

8. theautoparts profile image61
    theautopartsposted 11 years ago

I completely agree with u ftclick, but as everyone knows Rafa is the clay-court King and been in best form so as Novak. As a matter of fact, we can't really opt out genius Federer also having winning four ATP masters title this season and who can forget the last year semis against Novak ? Federer broke his winning strike when he was unbeatable at that time and even in a great form as of now. so this time rivalry gone be in triangular and interesting to see who'll gonna be in top....

9. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

No one gives Murray a chance at all? He's not had a great season, and there is no expectation - perhaps that's a good thing and perhaps the Lendl link will help a lot too? I still see him as a potential semi-finalist.

Looking at recent form it's Nadal or Federer for me with Nadal as slight favorite.

1. denisemai profile image66
      denisemaiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Poor Murray will always have tremendous expectations from his country. That pressure is a privilege, though, and I would love to see him win. Unfortunately, in order to win, you have to get past a certain Spaniard with an impeccable record at Rolland Garros. ;-)

10. STEVEW13 profile image60
    STEVEW13posted 11 years ago

Despite Murray growing up on the clay surface he never really looks at home on it. He has featured in over 30 ATP finals and not one of these has been on clay(I could be wrong there, I haven't checked), which shows that it is by far his weakest surface. Behind the likes of Nadal, Fed, Djokovic, Ferrer, Berdych, Del Potro, Almagro, he barely makes it into the top 10 of current clay players, so to win the only slam on this surface would be a HUGE surprise. Even with no expectation he just doesn't have the tools, and yet again he is rumored to be carrying some sort of injury which no doubt will crop up in the coming rounds. He can face Gasquet before he get's Ferrer in the quarters, so I think he will do well to get to the even there. I am British and would love to see a slam champion from home, BUT it's not going to Murray. 6 years time when some of our other youngsters like Oli Golding, Liam Broady and George Morgan come through, and the current top 4 are out, it will happen!

SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree about clay and Murray! I do feel he still has the potential to win a Slam - perhaps the US Open - it comes down to fitness and temprament - and with Lendl there hopefully the temprament will be fixed!

11. CyclingFitness profile image89
    CyclingFitnessposted 11 years ago

I watch Murray and often think that he doesn't have the shots to win a Grand Slam. He's always around and a solid player but just lacks the killer shots against the the likes of Djokavic

Murray is a Scot and as an Englishman I find it hard to get behind him in the way we got behind 'Tiger' Tim Henman

MickiSposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree that Djokovic does just about everything better than Murray. However, I do think Murray is up there in the Grand Slam talk. He's an incredibly smart player, and he's capable of playing Grand Slam winning tennis. I agree with SteveW13, that needs an attitude adjustment. I'm hoping that Llendl brings it.

But, I do agree, Henman was a much more likable player to get behind.

12. travelespresso profile image68
    travelespressoposted 11 years ago

Seems like its shaping up for one of the top four men to take the title.  Nadal looks pretty amazing - still - again!

Unfortuantely I haven't seen many of the female matches so its tricky to determine how Stosur is performing but Li Na looks impressive after a shakey start.

Amazing tournament though!  Is anyone in Paris watching it live?

I went last year, but, sadly, I'm watching the coverage in the evenings thanks to Tivo.

Agree with your predictions and that Nadal is currently looking the strongest of the 4.

I think Petra Kvitova may be a contender on the women's side. My dream final would her against either Stosur or Na (not sure how the draw's match up).

13. travelespresso profile image68

Haha...so much for my predictions.  Li Na was beaten by a qualifier! 

Although I'd like to see Stosur take it out, I think that if she meets Kvitova then Kvitova will take it out.  I agree with you, a match between these two would be great to watch.

Nadal's game last night was impressive.  He still looks good to me too MickiS.

Shame you're not there this year but at least you were able to go!

I saw that! Right after I replied to your post, I turned on the coverage to find Li Na getting knocked out. Sad.

It was great to go, but the Australian was my favorite of all to attend. I've been twice. :-)

1. travelespresso profile image68
        travelespressoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's true, the Australian Open is a marvellous event and I've been lucky enough to have been there too.  Would love to go to Wimbledon but the closest I managed was the queue outside!

14. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Nadal is looking Amazing - if Murray beats Ferrer, it'll be interesting to see if he can live with Nadal in this kind of form! Murray does seem to be improving, even though he had a poor first set again today! Perhaps that's the plan!

I know. What was up with that first set? 1-6? Oy.

2. travelespresso profile image68

Murray is a really great player but, as much as I hate to say this about an elite and very talented sportsperson, he irritates me!  He often looks completely out of the game and "suffering" then comes back and wins!  I hoped Lendl would improve his mental approach and it seemed to be working but he appears to have regressed.

Totally agree with you 100%, travelespresso!

2. SimeyC profile image89

He does have a major injury and probably for his career should have quit in the first round. I don't think you'll ever remove that from him - he's determined to finish and sometimes this shows up in his game as he's not 100% - Lendl can hopefully make him choose when to be agressive though - and perhaps that the difference in the way he played once he'd overcome his problem.

The main thing I think is wrong with Murray is that while he has as much talent as the other 3 and perhaps more (McEnroe often says he is the most talented player on the tour) he lacks the killer instinct - he always seems to give a break back straight away! Perhaps it's concentration or a lack of confidence!

You have to feel sorry for him in a way - he's in an era where you have arguably 3 of the best players of all time playing together! There's always been two - but I can't remember a time where you had three amazing players - and a fourth player who probably would have won a major twenty years ago!

15. travelespresso profile image68

I agree with you.  I watched him soldier on in that first round match and much kudos to him! 

Like I say, I hate to criticise an elite sportsperson - it's all too easy to sit on a comfy sofa, remote at my fingertips and a nice drink just within reach while I enjoy my sports programs, watching those guys and gals out there sweating, and giving it their all, but nonetheless his mannerisms on court irritate me.  I hate the way he used to (I hope it's in the past), beat himself up.  Gosh, you wouldn't be that tough on an enemy!

I also agree he has the talent to be a notch or two higher, but am not sure what it'll take.  The other three are super human in their efforts and all round "good guys".

Still,this is shaping up to be an amazing year on the mens side of the draw.

The women - well that also seems interesting with some lower ranked players shining.

1. STEVEW13 profile image60
      STEVEW13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

If the injury was that serious he wouldn't be on court, simple as that. There is enough of a team around him to make the right decision when it comes to his health. He was chasing around, and winning, points yesterday where any other player would have lost them 3 times over, if you have a serious injury that is not possible. He has a niggle, and that is it.

He is a fantastic player, but he is not a great player like Nadal, Fed and Djokovic. You are spot on about the mannerisms and attitudes, all 3 of those guys are likeable in the way they conduct themselves on court and in interviews. Murray doesn't have that, as at times he acts like a bratty kid, and goes way over the top swearing and beating himself up on court. It's not professional and it shows real weakness.

Yes he has talent and perhaps if he was playing in another era he might have won a slam, but the way the game is now the players are much faster, physically stronger and mentally prepared, so I think I can name another 10 players who currently play now who could have won slams in a different era. And having said that Del Potro has won a slam over the top 3, Soderling has made multiple slam finals just as Murray has, so why aren't they just as unlucky?

I don't want to sound like I am totally against Murray because I'm not, but the more tennis I watch the more I hear the big players referred to as the 'top 3' because it is plain to see by now that Murray is not at their level, he is simply the best of the rest on all surfaces besides clay, just like Ferrer is the best of the rest on that surface.

My predictions were totally blitzed too on the women's draw travelespresso, but I like the fact there are a few lesser known faces in there. Errani is a very good clay player, she has a good shot at getting to final. But still think it will be Maria.

As much as I love watching this on television I would love to be there watching, so very annoying to see so many spare seats on the courts, even though they have all been sold!

I was more referring to the injury in the first round - while it was a niggle he could have done a lot more damage and almost ended his career.

I totally agree about his attitude; what sets him aside for me from all the other top ten players is the fact that he has won so many 'non' grand slam torunaments and has got to the semi finals in the last 5 grand slams - that's a huge achievement in itself, and perhaps the fact he doesn't have a grand slam doesn't really matter if you look at the overall career - which by anyone's standards has been fantastic. (he probably has a few years left at the top level too!)

If you look at a lot of the top players (including Federer) they didn't win slams for a long time either - look at Lendl who also lost three finals before winning a slam....

If Murray could change his attitude then perhaps he'll get a slam - however, I somehow suspect that his ability to overcome diversity is part and parcel with his attitude - so if you stop his 'attitude' then perhaps he won't be so successful.

I agree that he is not a great player like Nadal, Fed and Djokovic - but he's so close and can beat all of them....

1. ocbill profile image52
          ocbillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It has been very hard for him to beat 2 of them in a row for him. semis , then finals seems overwhelming.  Djokovic did it  at AO 2012 in 2 5-setters. Djoke actually could have lost both of those matches.

2. MickiS profile image75

As someone who has played high level competitive tennis (and still play the game today), those mannerisms of Murray's on the court are a reflection of what's going on in his head. The only reason that we are not saying 'the top 4' is because Murray's mental game is not as strong.

I agree, SimeyC, he's as talented (if not more talented) than Nadal and Djokovic. However, they are great competitors on the court. When they step on the court, they have their "game face" on. And, at that level of the game, it's the difference between being top 3 in the world and being the rest of the pack.

16. travelespresso profile image68

MickiS

After a very up n down performance by Stosur looks like your dream final will have to wait until the US Open!  Good win by Sharapova don't you think?

I'm in Bangkok at the moment and the hotel doesn't have any sports channels.  Grrr.  However, I've engaged my visual skills to try to picture the shots as I listen to commentary on RolandGarros radio.  It's a very interesting experience and quite a good second best - no make that third best.  Being there would be first of course!

I know! I was so close to my dream final. Perhaps, Wimbledon (tho, Stosur doesn't usually do so well there).

Yes, a great match by Sharapova. The radio is interesting, but you are right, being there is definitely the best!

Let's have this conversation during Wimbledon. 

My feeling is if Sharapova wins in Paris, she'll take out Wimbledon.  How's that for an advance prediction?  She's gone through so much and, I believe, has a lot more wisdom and appears to appreciate the second chance!

Nadal looks in fine form but then so too does Djokovic.... so it goes on.  These guys are amazing.  I don't think Ferrer can make it any further.

17. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

1,2,3 and 5 in the men's finals is great tennis to watch. I'm looking forward to the finals. Federer or Djokovic against Nadal. I'm so mixed this year who I would love to see win.

I haven't followed the women's as closely this year, but I have to say, I loved watching Errani take her win, but would love to see Sharapova win her first French Open.

Being there must be so exhilarating. I would love to see a French Open live.

Gotta love it rebekahELLE, I'm so hooked on tennis!  Roll on the start time. ..

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is fun to watch. Both of my sons and daughter in law play. They keep trying to get me to start playing.. I'm really bad. neutral

18. travelespresso profile image68

Errani is having an awesome tournament!  Having won the ladies doubles, her confidence is going to be at at an all time high (I imagine) I wonder how that'll affect her performance tonight?
    What do you think?

Can she take out a double?

Good question. I think it should be an interesting match. I'm playing too much tennis of my own today and won't be able to watch, but here's what I think:

Errani: better clay mover. If she stands on that baseline or just inside of it and blocks back Sharapova's ball to move Sharapova around the clay, she can win it.

Otherwise, Sharapova can easily overpower her in a way that Stosur could not. If she can do that, she will win.

Let's see what happens....

19. travelespresso profile image68

WOW - Sharapova won!  Errani fought hard but Sharapova was cool under pressure and too powerful for her.  I admire the spirit of the two women and even though the match was over in two sets, it seemed to be a closer contest when watching it. 

Thankfully I was back in my apartment so I was able to see it on a large flat screen TV.  Yeah! 

For tonights match, I say Go Nadal!

Again, sadly, I won't be watching (but it's to play tennis of my own). Go Djokovic (although I do think Nadal is going to win).

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's starting in a few minutes. I think you're probably right. The guy is so mentally tough as well as a fine tuned human machine. It should be an excellent final to watch.

Go Djokovic. His hunger may be his advantage.
        Regardless of who wins, I'm excited for the players. big_smile

20. travelespresso profile image68

Yeah me too!  I'm watching the TV (muted) as the commentary is in Vietnamese so I'm also listening to radio Roland Garros.  Ain't technology amazing!
    Go Nadal!

21. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

There you go! However you can get it. Enjoy. I'm psyched just from watching the warm-up.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)