Real names vs. screen names

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

Something I've noticed on HP over the last few years. Certain people (like myself) use their own names to be identified as hubbers. Some use some cloak and dagger terrorist/CIA codename as their hubhandle. I sometimes feel kind of strange making myself so recognizable and identifiable in a room full of anonymous spies and covert authors. If you're like me and use your given name as your hubname, do you feel exposed at all. And if you use some codename to provide yourself and others with anonymity, what is your motivation for such?

1. profile image0
      paxwillposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Not that I'm ashamed of anything I post on HubPages or other revenue sharing sites, but I really don't want real life association.  I have my own reasons for that, so I use screen names that are kind of close to my real name, but vague enough to obscure my identity. 

The nice thing about using a cloak and dagger terrorist/CIA codename (lol) is that I can always change my mind about anonymity here and include my real name in my profile.  It's nice to have options, you know?

If you use your real name as you username, well, you're kind of stuck with that forever since the urls are on subdomains that correspond to our usernames.  So if you ever decide that you don't want your real name associated with your hubs anymore, there's not much you can do about it.

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Writer have used pseudonyms for years, it's been accepted practice and no one saw anything suspicious or underhand about it.  So what's changed?

Marisa Wright is not my real name.  I, too, am not ashamed of anything I post online, but I'm also very conscious of issues like identity theft and invasion of privacy, so I prefer to keep my online life and my offline life separate.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
        Mark Ewbieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Agree.  I was fortunate that when christened my parents gave me a real name and a Facebook name.  It's all part of the new ceremony these days.

3. Greekgeek profile image78
      Greekgeekposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Having been on the web since 1993, I use pen names as a precaution and wince at those who are using their full names.

There are many sound reasons for using pen names:

-- Stalkers, predators and past abusers can't track you quite as easily.
      -- Employers, exes, banks, health insurance companies, and lawyers looking up dirt on you to use against you in a messy civil suit can't dig up things you wrote 20 years ago and turn them against you.
      -- Search engines and commercial enterprises can't gather personal information about you quite as easily.
      -- I differentiate between my professional and private life. My friends are my friends. My hobbies are my hobbies. Each of those social circles should know different things about me, rather than all knowing everything about me. The internet tears down all barriers between people, barriers that used to protect us and differentiate social interactions between peers, colleagues, and intimate friends. Using online handles is a way to reestablish those levels of friendship. My close friends and my friends in various social circles know my pen names, and can see everything I talk about, but others are not privvy to personal information that's not their business. The act of writing should not strip me of all rights to decide who knows what about me, and how much of my life I share with strangers.

People are very, very naive about the amount of information strangers can piece together about you through your name posted online. In countries with oppressive regimes, this is actually dangerous, but even in a free country, you can be denied health coverage if an insurer looks you up and finds you wrote about migraines. There are  documented examples of things like that already making the news every day.

And most of all:

I am a writer. I prefer to be judged on the content of what I write. The writing speaks for itself.

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
        Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's fair to want your privacy online.  And there are plenty of people that can make life difficult for you if they know your real name, no question.  But I think it's fair to point out that there are probably several million writers online that use their real names.  For a multitude of different reasons, including that some of them are published authors, they like their work associated with their real names.

4. Greek One profile image64
      Greek Oneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I dont want the warden of the prison I am currently residing in to find out I am not using my laptop for rehabilitation purposes

5. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you want to presume that I'm a cloak-and-dagger terrorist/CIA operative, that's your prerogative.  Since I happen to live nowhere near Westford Drive, I'm pretty sure you're in no danger from me. 

I have a Hub that includes the story (and pronunciation) of my screen name so I don't have to rewrite the story multiple times per year whenever someone posts a thread like this in the forums.

2. Jason Marovich profile image87
    Jason Marovichposted 12 years ago

I wish I'd chosen Zoltar the Magnificent, but it's too late now sad

1. Kiwi Max profile image62
      Kiwi Maxposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would make an amazing name. But you'll have to live up to its title wink

Good point.  I'd be obsessing over people finishing reading my articles and thinking, "Well.  He wasn't THAT magnificent..."

3. Kiwi Max profile image62
    Kiwi Maxposted 12 years ago

I tend to make code names, I can spend hours deciding on a nickname/code name.

4. MPG Narratives profile image59
    MPG Narrativesposted 12 years ago

I used the name of my business, it was just a natural progression. I really didn't think about it too much but it has worked for me. My name is Marie for anyone that's interested.

1. profile image0
      mts1098posted 12 years agoin reply to this

company name same as Marie and my name is Bill...

5. Jonathan Janco profile image61
    Jonathan Jancoposted 12 years ago

A lot of great replies folks. Thanks for the feedback and definitely some justifiable reasons. I guess I have so many deliberate guards up in real life that I dont think to put them up here.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

David here. Just didn't sound terribly 'mystic'. DD is just temporary, anyways.

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Also it morphs into Druid quite well. "stage" names work for actors and musicians, says the Artist Formerly Known As Prince. Would you go to a John Wayne flick if he was billed as Marion instead of John?

6. Shanna11 profile image75
    Shanna11posted 12 years ago

I'm really bad with coming up with aliases, etc, plus I just like my own name well enough that I have no problem using my first name. I might have used a different username if I'd joined this site originally with the intent to stay, but I didn't think I would end up staying when I joined, so I picked my first name and added an 11 on because that was the year I graduated high school.

7. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

My motivation for using a "cloak and dagger terrorist/CIA codename" as you call it, as well as not using a real pic of myself, is self-protection.  Going on the internet, and HubPages is no exception, makes one accessible to all kinds of people, not all of whom have the best intentions.  Just because someone says they are for real, doesn't make it so.  You never know what is real or not out here.  I don't even use my real name in the real world, nobody ever pronounces it correctly.

8. A Troubled Man profile image57
    A Troubled Manposted 12 years ago

I use my real name but have just changed where the spaces are...

Atrou Bledman.

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I really love that.

2. Jason Marovich profile image87

Atrou Bledman, Head Executioner

I knew it...

9. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 12 years ago

I use my real name because I'm used to it.  I started as a reporter in the 70s, and since then, I have always taken responsibility for my work.  I do freelance work, and I don't care to send my 2 clips under a pen name.  For all the reasons listed here about taking a pen name, it's not me.  But I can understand why people do it.  It's not that I'm putting them down.  If you really want to know, I used to work as a prison guard, and in the business, people were always scared to be tracked down.  The thing is, anyone can find you for $14.99 through online sites or the grapevine.  And, I've been tracked by an inmate who has been locked down forever.  Yes, it happens.  My only pen name that I could live with is WhoopWhoopWhoop.  But I've never made the transition.  I can picture an editor going over my work and watching her eyes roll to the back of her head.  Yeah, WhoopWhoopWhoop and her manuscript made in to the nearest circular file.

10. Michael J Rapp profile image60
    Michael J Rappposted 12 years ago

Maybe I'm naive too, but it seems there is more to online security than the name you use. 

In my professional life it was nescessary to draw a firm line between business and personal info.  I guess I feel that writing online is no different.

11. profile image0

I understand, your POV, Michael, and I would not call you naive.  Pen name/real name is all about a writer's choice.  I'm retired, and since my writing has always been a part of me and earned me some money over the years, I will always be working for my byline.  Call it a pride thing or an ego thing or a dinosaur thing. I like taking credit (good or bad) for my writing, and when I'm receiving/leaving comments or taking part in a Forum, I do like being addressed by my real name.  I did not grow up with Facebook, fancy tech gadgets or have someone scrutinizing my personal life.  Maybe I'm way too trusting for some people, but if I had a job right now, I would probably lean towards a pen name.  That is, if it was so important for me to hold onto a particular job that may not involve writing.  But that byline has been more important to me than chasing the pennies online.  I can't explain it because I come from another writing era.  It just is.

12. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Klara Wieck (Clara Wieck) was the most famous pianist during the 19th century. She married Robert Schumann and became most famous as Clara Schumann. I use her name because I'm a pianist and she's an inspiration to me. But I would love to use my real name, except I teach public school and could get in trouble for speaking my mind openly. Posting my real pic is as far as I go.

13. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years ago

http://www.picgifs.com/name-graphics/k/kimberly/name-graphics-kimberly-723237.gif

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
      SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years agoin reply to this

well sorta the same idea....and it's almost friday......that kitten is too cute KL!  big_smile

http://d.awesomemyspacecomments.com/5/4f023b29a5720.jpg

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

awesome cool

1. profile image0
          mts1098posted 12 years agoin reply to this

that is what i look like when i am heading to dinner )

1. profile image0

You Rock my friend! big_smile

How are you, Kimberly.  How's the writing thing going?

1. profile image0

Hey really good thank you just came to blow off steam lol  thanks for asking, what's new with you? smile

Not much.  How's the photography gig?  Last I looked, you seemed pretty pro.  (Yes, I'm diverting your question).

You see, I'd like you to tell us that your last publishing went so well that you don't need us anymore.  If you need us, we'd be there.

14. Express10 profile image85
    Express10posted 12 years ago

My motivation for not providing my name and photos of myself is simply an online security tactic. However, I conduct myself with respect and do not say or do things that I could not say to others face to face. I agree with Greekgeek wholeheartedly.

15. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

The reason I use my real name online came about when I was pensioned off from MI2407365. My handler said to me, "Pseudonym van Dopelganger, the only name you have never used in your professional career is your real one. Use that from this point onwards."

And here I find myself...

16. profile image0

It wouldn't be hard to find me.  If you do find me, bring your cooking or gardening equipment, and I'll put you to work.

17. Melindas Mind profile image66
    Melindas Mindposted 12 years ago

I use a combination of my real name, and a pseudonym. I won't put out my full name on anything that can be accessed by anyone, but my first name isn't enough to find me by. In some places I use a complete pseudonym, though. It depends on my comfort level.

18. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 12 years ago

Thorazine

19. profile image0

Vicodin!  Might as well work on the left hip joint, too.

20. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 12 years ago

I debated about using my real name vs. pen name when I started the account. I chose the pen name, because I'm a cautious girl. The, about two months after I began publishing hubs, I wrote a hub that caused some hackles to rise on some very OCD necks. I had to actually cut off further comments, and to block some senders from my email. I'll never use a real name online for my writing again - the lake has too many predators, just under the surface! And, yes, I do pull my blinds at night. Like I said, I'm a cautious girl.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)