Desire, attachment and suffering

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (33 posts)
  1. mischeviousme profile image60
    mischeviousmeposted 12 years ago

Our desires in life may be fulfilled, but our choices (based on our desires), may lead to great forms of suffering.

The attachment to a memory or a past event, may lead to great suffering.

The attachment to the idea of a better future, may lead to great suffering.

The attachment to the idea of self, may lead to great suffering.

The desire to be free of an attachment, may become an attachment.

The desire for happiness, may lead to sorrow.

The desire for the prize, may lead to loss.

The suffering of a past experience, may be a form of attachment, born of desire.

We suffer our attachments, they are a burden we create.

Reservations based on negative past experience, is to relive the experience.

1. Disappearinghead profile image60
      Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Suffering leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Desiring nothing I found wisdom. Desire nothing.

1. WD Curry 111 profile image58
          WD Curry 111posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Desire nothing. You will still need to pee when you wake up in the morning.

1. kess profile image60
            kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are only two desires ultimately...the desires of Death and the desires of Life.

Both desires all things....one by the separation into individual things...this desire keep the individual divided against himself.

The other by combination of the all into a single unit...this causes the individual to be united and made whole....thus he is able to resist any and all of the indivodual separated desire.

1. profile image0
              Rad Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Wow, I have no idea what you are taking about. Does anybody?

1. profile image0
                jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but I don't know how to word it to you.

2. WD Curry 111 profile image58

Hey now! That's beautiful.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

******************** YOu don't Know the POWER of the Dark SIde ***********************

It flees from the light.

2. Druid Dude profile image61

The DARK SIDE obviously didn't pay their POWER bill.

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image75
            Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I find your lack of faith...........disturbing...............

3. profile image0

Enlightenment is the Awareness of all these things.  Total Consciousness.

1. mischeviousme profile image60
          mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's not enlightenment, it's just being mindful in deed and thought.

2. profile image0

Repression of ones emotions or of a dramatic event is the sign of a troubled person and leads to narcissism. Suppression of ones emotions or dramatic events is the sign of a healthy happy person. When you suppress a thought or emotion you still have it and can think about it anytime you like. This way you learn from your mistakes. I don't believe Total Consciousness is possible, but the more conscious we become the better people we are to be around. If you have ever spent an time with a Narcissist you would see how they try to manipulate the past to their own gain. And because they are unaware of their shortcoming arguments are futile.

1. lorlie6 profile image74
            lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Rad Man-I don't think you meant to say this, "Suppression of ones emotions or dramatic events is the sign of a healthy happy person."  I believe you meant just the opposite.  Anyway, let me know if I've gotten the wrong interpretation. 
            I certainly agree with you re: the supression/expression debate, that if one suppresses emotions and hopes that they will magically go away, then 'ONE' is damned nutz, don't you agree?
            Anyhow, thought I'd chime in here...

1. profile image0

Suppression of ones emotions is normal and heathy. Repression is the problem. If one supresses he can retrieve it to his consciousness and deal with it when he can. Repression is when the emotions or events disappear into sub-consciouness. The person feels more physical stress regarding the events, but doesn't know it. Narcissistic people do it all the time. They reinvent the past to put themselves in a favourable light, and they actually believe they are right.
              Look, I just apologized to Chris Neal on another form when I realized I had inadvertently accused him of something he certainly does not do. A Narcissist would not admit to being wrong, they would think that their comment must have been edited or that it was a simple typo and they are still right.
              Suppressing ones feeling to use another time is Okay. If someone hits my car I need to suppress my anger or I'll get in trouble myself. Most importantly we need to suppress our own mistakes not repress them so they don't exist.
              A few years back when my family was getting out the car I forgot to leave the car in gear or use the emergency break and the car rolled down the driveway. No one was hurt but I had real little ones then. I couldn't sleep for nights. I was sick to my stomach. It took day but I had to suppress my emotions and memories to move on. I still have those memories as I'm reliving them now, but I use them. I never bought another standard car.

1. profile image0

For long reply, Rad Man, that is one of the most useful I have seen..  Thank you, lots of interesting points which I have never thought about.

1. profile image0

Thanks for the kind words.

2. lorlie6 profile image74

You poor dear man, Rad.  I'm so sorry that those emotions took their 'toll' on you!  While I don't think that suppression of emotions is necessarily a good thing, it can be, esp when there's a need to 'cope' with a specific situation.  I am impressed with your assessment here, Rad, and will get to your hubs eventually!
                That is a promise!

1. profile image0

We all suppress our emotion to a certain extent and we need to, or you would act childish. Children haven't master it and are victims of their own emotion. Tantrums. If we didn't suppress our emotions we would do things like stand up in the middle of a meeting and scream that someone hurt you feeling or yell at someone or opposing your view points. When we say suppression it doesn't mean the emotions are gone. It mean you are in control of them.

2. yoginijoy profile image67
      yoginijoyposted 12 years ago

May all beings be free from suffering and the causes of suffering.
      May all beings experience happiness and the causes of happiness.
      May all beings remain connected to Source, which is utmost Joy.
      May all beings develop compassion and equanimity. 

Most definitely, attachment to desire keeps the wheels of samsara in motion.

1. Druid Dude profile image61

By the way...I pee out of necessity, not desire.

It becomes a desire.

3. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Then you won't mind if I don't use the same restroom as you!smile

Just watch out for my new shoes.

4. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

lorlie6, Rad Man, I can appreciate your comments about suppression/repression but need to say this:

Over the past 20 years I have had quite a lot of dealings with and within men's groups.  Initially on starting the "inward" journey of discovering one's self, there can be a great reluctance to recognise, face and experience real emotions.  Most of us have been taught to hide those emotions, right from an early age.  In many cases to the detriment of our personal growth.

I gradually learned to recognise when I was experiencing "emotions," and here are a few of them:  Anger, Fear, Sadness, Happiness, Joy, Loneliness, Frustration.  These feelings as distinct from the brain-centered thoughts and phobias and fantasies.

The great catharsis which can come from being allowed (allowing one's self) to express an emotion, safely, in the company of supporting friends, is awesome.  It clears the sky and allows a fresh look at the horizon!  This does not mean that one HAS TO go through this process, in order to please those others around.  That would be play-acting, just hoping to impress.  I am talking about the real thing, which comes out of clearly facing one's truth.

So, in my opinion, suppression and repression have their place, but expression can be in there, too.

1. lorlie6 profile image74

Oh jcl!  What a beautifully written post!  I am most impressed with both your style and your message.  Groups of individuals, whether men or women-or both-can be of great help in discovering and releasing these emotions we tend to 'stuff'.  I've been in all but the men's groups, and have found out many things about myself I did not want to face, or things I was happily surprised to know about-through their observations, of course.
        Thanks for your enlightening post!

2. kess profile image60
        kessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is the greatest fallacy to believe, that you are defined by your desire. It is not uncommon to hear a person say I am such and such because I have such and such desires.

The deisre does not make the man unless the man allows that desire to determine and define himself.

The man himself is the totality of all desires, without any one of these individual desires being difinitive of the man.

A man denies himself by difining himself by  one or more of his desires.
        A man denies himself by denial of any one or more of his desires.

Desires dominate a man not only because he indulges in it, but also when he supresses it.

Life favors indugences rather than suppression because indulgence imitates freedom and freedom is Life... and the freedom to suppress.

So a man is free to indulge or surpress his desires as he wills, knowing that both have the potential to bring him Life or death.

So we see that a man Live only  by the  knowing and understanding of Life (Faith), by which he determines whether he indulges or surpresses his desires.

Therefore it is imperative that a man diffrentiates and  separate between Life and death. He then sees that it is  not one  against the other but one working for the other in perfect harmony.

For only when desire are out of place it dominate and rule the man to ruin.

When in its proper place it forms a stable foundation for him to grow, to Live, the abundant life, where all desires are fulfilled and not tainted with the flavors of Death.

1. profile image0

Thank you Kess.... I can see your Inner Journey here.

3. profile image0

Thanks for the insight Jonny, I just want to be clear that suppression of one's feeling is not swallowing them down to never see them again, that's repression. You were able to experience emotions with a group because you kept them with you when you suppressed them, this way you were able to learn from them and express at a later and save time.

5. profile image0
      jonnycomelatelyposted 12 years ago

Thanks for that Lorlie.  We can inspire each other.  One day someone inspires me with their writing, next day I do the same for someone else!  It's a bit like a healthy bash at tennis, I guess! Except exactly where the words we say go to, and in who's racket they are caught, we will usually never know.  Keep up your good work.

6. WD Curry 111 profile image58
      WD Curry 111posted 12 years ago

Show some emotion.

http://youtu.be/EyEt8C3KBmo

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)