We are not the only animals with souls.

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (33 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

http://media-cache3.pinterest.com/upload/287737863662468581_AK037GbF_f.jpg
    He is as real behind his eyes as you are behind yours.

1. rlaha profile image59
      rlahaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

All aspects of nature have souls, including rocks, trees, plants, animals, insects, birds and amphibians.

2. profile image61
      logic,commonsenseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe, but he is awfully lonely if he has to play with his own boobs!

3. Jesus was a hippy profile image61
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Soul?

2. Alastar Packer profile image72
    Alastar Packerposted 12 years ago

As attuned to nature as he is probably more real. In 100% agreement paradigm.

3. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

This is not news to me.

I heard somewhere that the Ancient Ones believed that even the rocks have souls - or maybe, at least, a few of them. 6,846 had souls back then, I believe it was, and as they multiplied, so did we all.

but as for the animals, some may have been lost theirs due to misguidance.

4. Rochelle Frank profile image91
    Rochelle Frankposted 12 years ago

Quite possible. Elephants mourn their dead and recognize the bones of their departed relatives.

5. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6447452_f248.jpg

Cousin Joe

6. Eric Newland profile image60
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Well, if Disney movies have taught me anything...

1. profile image0
      klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't know, but I fell in love with the rat that can cook.

7. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 12 years ago

I believe animals have souls. When our dog died our other Cocker mourned his death and his son hid his face. I do not care what others believe but all animals have souls. smile

8. mistyhorizon2003 profile image90
    mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years ago

If animals don't have souls then I don't want to go to Heaven, I want to go  wherever the animals go (they are nicer than most people anyway).

9. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 12 years ago

Even shoes have souls?  smile

1. profile image0
      Hubert Williamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nice answer, but that would be soles like fish. What the heck, maybe soles have souls too

10. Dee42 profile image60
    Dee42posted 12 years ago

I agree, most animals you can actually see the intellect in their eyes where some humans, there is only emptiness there. And I have thought that most mother animals are better mothers than certain human mothers.

11. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 12 years ago

haven'twediscussedthisbeforehereindejavuland?  I mean, really, people, animalstalkingtoyouandyoudon'tevennoticeandthenyouwanttodiscusswhethertheyhavesouls?  andthestrangenesscontinues!  we, and I mean WEshouldwonderwhetherwecanhangontoours!

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

I think your space bar is broken wink

1. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

nevertheless  when I listen to the dogs arrrrround here - that's what they sound like!

2. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

also very funny morphing there in your avatar! smile

12. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 12 years ago

I think the first thing we need to do is define what a soul is. If you are saying a soul is consciousness then because our own consciousness can be stopped by anesthesia the our soul "consciousness" dies with us. If you are saying a soul is self aware then it has been proven with the use mirrors that some animals are self aware by recognizing themselves in a mirror. Kindness certainly comes naturally to some animals. My dog for example tries to calm people down and is certainly aware of others (dogs and people) emotions. Do animals feel both emotional and physical pain. Yes. Are they any different from us. Yes. Most have a different set of emotions that evolution has provided for their survival. Bonobo's for example don't feel jealousy. Dogs do, I think they feel what we feel, that's what makes for a best friend.

1. Druid Dude profile image61
      Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Soul isn't consciousness. People in comas have souls, but they may not have consciousness.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, what do you think a soul is and is there any consciousness in the soul? If not, any notion of life after death would be nullified.

The soul is the "breath of life". "God breathed the breath of life into Adam, and Adam became a living soul." Pretty plain, I'd say.

The "breath of life" is a fallacy that was believed by ancient people who believed that the last breath was the soul escaping from the body.

Of course it was nothing more than the last breath of the person and a soul has still yet to be demonstrated to exist let alone defined.

So what is your answer. Mine is supported by scripture.

1. profile image0

I find it fascinating that people still argue as to what the soul is. It was thought that consciousness was the soul and that is how we live after death, we take our consciousness with us. But if consciousness is a product of the brain (as we now know) then what do we take with us and if we are not conscious after death then who cares?

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image61

Sorry, my answer to what? Scripture provides no evidence for anything by the way.

I am sure you would take no heed to me saying that Vishnu is backed up by the scripture of the bhagavad ghita.

1. profile image0

But you didn't answer my question. If the soul is not connected to consciousness then how can we be conscious of life after death?

I think you are confusing me with someone else but I will  give you my answer to your question anyhoo.

I dont believe a soul exists due to lack of evidence therefore wether or not a soul is connected to consciousness and/or continues after death is simply pseudo science.

2. profile image0
              brotheryochananposted 12 years agoin reply to this

the fallacy of the breath of life is the belief that the last breath escaped the body after death. the breath of life exists and got the whole ball rolling so to speak.

John 20:22   And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:

2. profile image53
            wayne92587posted 12 years agoin reply to this

When God breathed his Breath into man's nostriles  it was the Immortal Spirit of God that became, was made manifest, a Living Soul, Being;

The Immortale Spirit of God Alive in the Flesh.

13. profile image0
    brotheryochananposted 12 years ago

first you have to define soul and the biblical definition of soul is far different than the Aristotle version of soul that most people today, unwittingly or not, subscribe to.

Soul, biblically, means animate flesh. So yes animals have souls, they are in fact, their soul, but to apply the Aristotle definition of soul as an entity that resides separate from the flesh - no.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)