children

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (54 posts)
  1. petealex profile image60
    petealexposted 12 years ago

Why do people each their children " Eve ate an apple from the Garden of Eden".

1. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's called childhood indoctrination in which parents tell their kids what to believe as opposed to having them grow up to think for themselves.

petealexposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know and they may not know themselves, because they haven't read for read the book.

1. profile image0
          Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think it is also possible to argue that you haven't read the book, and simply take what the church teaches at face value.

When I read it, I see an action born of ignorance. The fruit is eaten by an innocent child. But, how does everyone respond? They lie. They attempt to transfer blame and distance themselves. Everyone involved suffers.

What is the story attempting to teach? Don't attempt to deceive others. (the snake). Don't withhold information that others need in order to make responsible decisions. (Adam) Take responsibility for your actions. (the snake, Adam and Eve).

What is the moral of that story? You are responsible for your actions and there are always consequences.

I don't consider it heinous to explain this to children.

2. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To deliver their children into the hands of charlatans.

To these parents, the distorted reality that they have been brainwashed to believe, becomes REALITY.  Therefore they can't comprehend that what they are teaching their children as reality is a mere fairytale.  It's fascinating to see how fragile the mind really is.

2. aka-dj profile image64
    aka-djposted 12 years ago

What else can they teach them?
    That they evolved from monkeys?
    They were reincarnated from rats?
    They are seeds of aliens?
    Accidents of the cosmos, perhaps?

I'll stick to the Bible, thanks!

Only fools would teach their children such things.

1. Eric Newland profile image59
        Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

<--- Proud to be a fool.

1. profile image0
          jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That is ok, but then why do you want to debate with intelligent people, to get ridiculed?

1. Eric Newland profile image59

Actually, I'm debating with people who respond to pretty much every post from a religious person, regardless of its content, with a jab that contains the phrase "fairy story."

I have my reasons for raising my child in my faith, not least of which is I believe God to be directly responsible for the fact that she isn't rotting in a coffin right now.

Six million children are being abused in the United States alone. Five children die every day from child abuse. Yet teaching children about Jesus is what makes a horrible parent. It boggles my mind.

2. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ditto!

1. aka-dj profile image64
            aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Double ditto!

1. getitrite profile image71

That's fine, but think of the children. Just maybe they want be so proud of being fools.yikes

3. A Troubled Man profile image57

Why would you teach your children false ideas and be proud to do so?

So you don't have a problem with lying to innocent children.

Not Good.

1. profile image0
        jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If he had a problem with lying, would he remain a Christian?
        The alternate scenario is, he is too innocent(cretin) to understand it as a lie.

1. getitrite profile image71

Disturbing.

3. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The bible in no way makes certain the functions of the greater whole.

Actually, if you read correctly, because there is a correct way to read the bible. Suggested reading ( How to Enjoy the Bible") it God whom the scriptures are inspired by will tell you everything you need to know. It's not something that happens over night because sometimes at the moment you can not recevie it.

1. mischeviousme profile image61

If any of the other books of antiquity are not taken just as seriously, then the bible holds no merit. If the iliad is not seen as a holy book, then why worship any old story?

Like I said, sometimes we are not in a place to receive truth.

Truth is subjective... What may be truth for you, is fallacy for another.

1. wilderness profile image96
                wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Truth is not subjective.  Belief, perception; these are subjective but we all live under the same objective truth whether we choose to accept it as truth or not.

Truth is presented objectively, it is the acceptance of a truth that is subjective.

Better.  What is perceived as truth is usually presented subjectively while claiming objectivity, but truth itself is completely objective.  Whether presented by another or discovered by self, the subjective perception of objective truth varies person to person.

One has only to visit the religious forums to see this truth in action and an objective consideration of the concept will result in the subjective acceptance of objective truth.

Right (true)?

It seems that you started the thread, implying that you were a critical thinker.  Now it appears that you are going in the complete opposite direction.  So what is your REAL agenda?

3. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

It's not just a bible story, but an acceptable one for children to understand how people came about on the Earth. When the kids get older they begin to ask questions, and that's when Adam and Eve become transparent.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How can you claim that lying to children is "acceptable"?

4. Disappearinghead profile image61
    Disappearingheadposted 12 years ago

I will teach my children that A&E were like children, that God provided a home for them to take care of all their needs. He gave them a simple test of "do not eat that fruit", to determine when they were old enough to understand the difference between right and wrong and to bear the consequences of their own actions.

At some point Eve begins to reason for herself and has an internal conflict; "shall I shan't I?" She chooses to go for it, and talks Adam around. They then understand the difference between right and wrong, which is what God wanted to eventually happen all along; "look they are now like us knowing good and evil", "let's us make man in our image as likeness". Doh! Now God sees they are old enough to make their own way in the world and kicks them out of the family home to work for a living as I shall when the kids get to 18 or so.

Just like kids in their 20s living at home with no job, become lazy and indolent, not reaching their potential, so it would have been if Adam and Eve remained in the garden.

Alternatively, this is a folk memory relating to a past time when man was a carefree hunter gatherer before he became a wage slave to agriculture. See Gobekli Tepe. In which case Eve discovered religion which led to millennia of misery for humanity, rather than just walking with God.

By the way, as a Christian, evolution from monkeys works for me; it's in our genes.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Monkeys are a modern day species that exists today. I dont think you understand how evolution works.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I know that JWH. smile I was using the evolved from monkeys phrase as it is a common phrase used by fundamentalists to ridicule evolution. I thought I was being ironic. hmm

5. petealex profile image60

A lot of you all are right, lying to children isnt the way to go. If you dont know just say " I dont know right now, but I will find out". We tell our children not to make up stories, so therefore teching by example is the best way. Sorry, but it is true that sometimes we as human beings dont know, but the truth is available if you look. Also some people think that it sound better and they teach thier children what they were taught as kids, so they continue to pass that story on.

6. Eric Newland profile image59
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

And hey, has anyone else noticed the blatant double standard going on here?

I don't demand that you take your children to church. Why do you demand that I not?

I don't presume to tell another parent how to raise their own child. Why do you?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because teaching children that majik is real and they will be punished if they don't believe is actually child abuse?

I bet you have an opinion when you see some one else abusing their children - don't you?

SO - no double standard involved. Well - except on your part. wink

Have you written a hub on (good) parenting?
        Have you shared your experiences and wisdom, to enlighten us (fools)/
        I'd love to read it. (Really)! smile

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Awww - no you wouldn't, because it would involve teaching critical thinking skills alongside genuine scientific knowledge.

I know you are not a big fan of either. wink

Stick with majik or punishment for not believing.

Mate I would.
            Didn't I say "REALY"?

If I was kidding, I would have said "JK"

2. A Troubled Man profile image57

I see no double standard. However, there is huge difference both morally and intellectually between taking your children to church in order to tell them what to believe as opposed to teaching all religions and telling your children to ask questions and scrutinize the answers.

Good point.  The problem here is the question of "what is truth?"  Most believers understand and already know the truth - what your are suggesting then is that they teach their children reams of data known to be false and ask the kids to determine the difference between that and the real truth. 

Considering that the penalty for picking the "wrong" "truth" from those reams is data is eternal burning in Hell, can you really expect them to follow that path?  What now is the morality of that action, given that few believers truly grasp the difference between belief and knowledge?

That's just one part of the equation, children are to be taught many things, not just that which is shown to be false. Children get a much better understanding of the world and what people believe when they can scrutinize and question myths just as arduous as scientific theory and fact.

In other words, they require a full all around education of all things in order to fully expand their intellectual prowess so they are able to deal with and expand on facts as well as identify and reject the bs.

Don't misunderstand me - I fully agree with what you say here.  Children need to learn to separate the bs from reality. 

My question concerned the morality of trying to teach a child how to think in the hopes that they will make the right choice of religious belief.  Keeping in mind that if they do not make the same choice as the parent they will burn in hell for eternity.  Intelligence, reasoning ability, knowledge; all such things are of no consequence whatsoever when compared to the results of not believing in the parent's choice of religion.  Even the morality of intentionally with holding information from a child necessary to make an informed decision doesn't matter. 

Children don't need an understanding of the world.  They don't need to know what people believe and they don't need to scrutinize or question the religious myth of their parents.  They only need to believe and obey the same God that their parents do, earning a place in heaven. 

We all want the best for our children but we all have different ideas of what is best.  The true believer KNOWS what is best - there is no chance that they are wrong and no chance that anyone else might have a better concept.  It's hard (impossible, actually) for anyone else to break through that mindset to help the children learn and think for themselves without first teaching the parent the same things we are attempting to teach the child.

Do we have the right to force a parent to make a completely immoral decision that will probably result in their child roasting forever?

It would appear that when a child is educated as opposed to indoctrinated and they learn about religions, they will unlikely choose any religious belief because they'll learn to understand they are all just myths and superstitions.

2. Eric Newland profile image59

Picture how you would react if I demanded that you, or any atheist, take their child to church or in some other way teach them something you don't believe, or fail to teach them something that you do believe and think is extremely important.

You would think the very idea was outrageous. And yet I'm not supposed to think it's outrageous when you demand the exact same thing of me.

That would be a double standard.

You are mistaken, quite understandably, that I have beliefs in which to project upon children.

You are again mistaken that I am demanding the same thing you are. I am simply demanding that children get a complete education. You are demanding something completely different.

7. Msmillar profile image90
    Msmillarposted 12 years ago

@ Troubled Man - I don't insist on any idealism for my kids. I let them choose their beliefs after reading ALL the evidence. Here's my problem, my daughter, like myself, question the authenticity if what's written when dinosaurs are completely discounted. We have physical proof they existed but I can't explain why certain historic books never mentions them. What can I tell her when I can't explain it myself? She a realistic person, the community we live in is partial to Christianity. Is she doomed to constant criticsm because she questions this like I do?

It is common for some history books to not mention dinosaurs if the book is not dealing with dinosaurs. Certainly, there are plenty of books and other literature that explains a great deal about dinosaurs.

That's never a problem, just be honest with your child and tell her you don't know and that you both should look into it yourselves, seems like a perfect opportunity for some mother/daughter bonding.

Yes, from the Christians. Of course, you can let her give in to Christian ignorance, but that wouldn't be teaching your daughter to be honest with herself, which is far more important than giving in to ignorant criticism.

1. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Christian ignorance? Doh, everyone knows those dinosaurs aren't real; God made up those bones and put them into rocks to confuse us.

8. petealex profile image60

I think if someone is not familiar with the readings and others are, why not give them specific direction or facts about the situation. I keep seeing posting like    "dinosaurs are real and there are books to prove it". What books can you give that person to read besides taking your word for it. I think that if we are going to give information to someone then we should have research to back it up. My point is have proof to back your argument. I learned that a long time ago. That also applies to the teaching of Adam and Eve. If you can't find proof don't teach it.

9. Msmillar profile image90
    Msmillarposted 12 years ago

The exact question I'm presented with by her and in my own mind is,"I find it difficult to believe that the Bible is a true accounting of events when it discounts dinosaurs. We have archaeological digs that have proven dinosaurs lived on Earth, but only a book (Bible) to say otherwise."  I feel whatever you believe in is your choice, just believe in it wholeheartedly. I don't feel I can provide her with a solid answer. She's right though, so maybe I should encourage her to go with the hard evidence and stand behind it.

That is by far the best choice. Kudos.

10. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 12 years ago

@ts parents who teach such stories actually believe that story is real...their intention is to teach children what they think is truth....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)