What is the relevance of Biblical scripture when discussing God?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. raiderfan profile image61
    raiderfanposted 14 years ago

It seems that Christians cut and paste their arguments on God with Bible scripture much too often when debating their ideology with atheists and other religions. How is this ever effective if entering the debate, the atheist/different religion has already dismissed the Bible?

1. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its not effective at all. And its pretty dumb, if you ask me. But what the heck are you gonna do.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
        Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Got to agree, Fiery - it is the same when scientists start pasting complex and jargon-laden abstracts into a 'layperson' debate.

Philosophy is the common language, one that we can all understand smile

2. profile image0
      fierycjposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It might help if atheists had a bible, though. Lol.

1. raiderfan profile image61
        raiderfanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They call it science.

2. My Inner Jew profile image62
        My Inner Jewposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol

3. mohitmisra profile image59
      mohitmisraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Its a holy book.

4. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I actually don't think anyone dismisses the bible, just dismiss it in a literal sense. wink  A lot, I mean a lot of people, believers and non believers alike can take something from it. It's a great book that everyone should read.

The first time I read it, I thought it was a crap story and I personally  think that it gets out of control when a persons, personal moral vindications and self doubt have to be someone elses also.

5. fishmox profile image59
      fishmoxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

really a good point, you know.
      it's like discussing one plus one equals two with somebody who doesn't believe there is such a thing as addition, much more arithmentic.

2. Laughing Mom profile image61
    Laughing Momposted 14 years ago

I know better than to get into a debate with you, raider.  So I'll just give the short answer:  It's not.

3. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Many atheists and other non believers know the bible and quoran intimately.

4. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

Nobody likes to have scriptures quoted at them, even people who really love the bible, it just does not help them at all..... I wonder does anyone run for their bible when they see the scriptures and look them up, not me that is for sure..... though I do read a little of it each day....

1. mohitmisra profile image59

I like the scriptures and it doesn't make a difference as to which religion it belongs.

5. profile image0
    \Brenda Scullyposted 14 years ago

So you are saying you do read scriptures that are quoted on here, they are not falling altogether on deaf ears then..... my apologies

1. mohitmisra profile image59

I love everything to do with god and the truth, there is no need to apologize smile
      I haven't read everything that there is to read.

6. spiderpam profile image74
    spiderpamposted 14 years ago
  7. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 14 years ago

The problem starts when so many people consider "the" bible to be one book written by one author.  The book of Job is a wonderful story containing meaning for anyone who studies it including my English Lit teacher, (an atheist) who helped me to study it.  Leviticus on the other hand is a book written by one or more psychopaths whose aim seems to be the erradication of all rational thought on earth.

1. Inspirepub profile image73
      Inspirepubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Leviticus is the equivalent of our body of legislation and legal precedent.

You get a great snapshot of life at the time, when you consider that each of the verses is a decision made by a judge of sorts about a legalistic dispute.

So, for example, the verse which runs (forgive the paraphrasing) "if two men are fighting, and the wife of one grabs the genitals of the other to save her husband's life, she shall still have her hand cut off (the penalty for touching another man's genitals)". Obviously, this actually happened at some point. Take a moment to get the visual ...

Leviticus is alternately fascinating and hysterically funny if you read it with that in mind.

Jenny

8. B.Z. Alixandre profile image67
    B.Z. Alixandreposted 14 years ago

I like discussing religion with people in an academic debate, but whenever I discuss it, it is with the recognition that no one's mind is going to change.  That being said, I find quoting the bible as a "reason" for religion or faith is an incredibly circular argument, like saying "I believe because I believe".  I'm okay with belief, I have my own, and I'm okay with not having a reason besides faith for that belief.  I can't explain my belief, but I get frustrated when a belief in the bible is explained using the bible.  After all you have to believe in the bible before the scriptures provide faith.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)