How Big is Hell?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (131 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 12 years ago

There’s a thread up now with a picture of a shack in the Cayman Islands which claims to be a store in hell. I know the hubber assumed we would all take it for the joke it was intended; but it made me start to wonder.

If hell were real, how large would it have to be if Christians or Muslims were right and billions may be destined to reside there? How large is a ‘soul’? How much space does it take up?

If a ‘soul’ could be defined as little more than the energy that comprises the consciousness of the organism it manipulates….how big is that?

I read once that there are as many atoms in a teaspoon of water as there are teaspoons of water in all of the oceans. I have no idea if this is true or not; but I’ll take it on as much faith as I do the reasoning behind why a module on the space shuttle was the width of two Roman horses butts.

So, assuming that the soul consists of fewer atoms than are present in a miniscule portion of a teaspoon of water…..how big would hell have to be to house a few billion souls?

1. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

About 26,000 miles across, it's covered in 73% water and there's 7,000,000,000 people there now.

1. aguasilver profile image70
        aguasilverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

smile that one I LIKE!

I love saying it like it is, especially when I can laugh at the sarcasm of it.

2. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That's quite a bit larger than I was calculating.

It's the earth, it was a jab at society... Sarcasm.

1. profile image0

I know. That was pretty obvious

2. LewSethics profile image60
            LewSethicsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The Earth is only 7926 miles in diameter, and the circumference is around 24,900 miles.  I guess a 26,000 mile diameter is funnier, or more sarcasmic.

Just sarcasm and so what if my measurement is a little off, I was making fun of hell.

Actually you were making a very astute observation. smile

2. LewSethics profile image60
                LewSethicsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just lame, that's all.  You have a computer with all the facts at your fingertips, yet you still manage to get things wrong.  Typical.

mischeviousmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I didn't go to school for earth science... I was an art major, with a minor in theology and I studied everything but my major. I know that it was an unrealistic measurement, I'm not that stupid. Humor needs not accuracy, apparently, niether do believers...

1. LewSethics profile image60
                    LewSethicsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Haha, that's funny.  So now I'm a 'believer'.  I believe you are lame.
                    You describe yourself as:  Amature archeologist, Palientologist and master martial artist. I can design your landscape but don't ask me to mow your lawn-it's beneath me. It's like asking Picasso to take your picture.
                    I guess don't ask you to use spellcheck either, that must be beneath you too.

2. DoubleScorpion profile image77
      DoubleScorpionposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hmm... Well even if the human soul was the size of the human body...I would think just about every human who ever lived and was considered a "sinner" would fit within our Sun. But then if we are talking two dimensions, We might need more "standing" room...

Interesting question...

Reminds me of the Men in Black movie with the Cat Collar holding a whole universe...

1. profile image0

Yep. Maybe we're stuck inside some version of Orion's 'belt' ourselves.

3. aka-dj profile image67
      aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Always big enough for one more.

Many of us are working pretty hard trying to prevent it's fill and growth.

Many are fighting us and resisting the message, making the task that much more difficult.
      But, we don't quit!

Let me ask YOU, are YOU in or OUT?

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well AKA - you have helped to convince me that god does not exist and that christianity is nonsense.

Well done.

1. aka-dj profile image67

That's not NEW information.

You had that conviction YEARS ago!

Wanna chat, or just copy and paste?

No - honestly - it is people like you - and you now - who have convinced me that christianity is nonsense and god does not exist.

God exists for them... It is an existence, allbeit a subjective existance. Their weak little minds can't quite let go of the past and are quite attached to their bedtime stories. They don't know any better, let them have their God, they should just know to keep it on the D.L.

How do you know I have a weak little mind?
                What bedtime stories do you assume I heard as a child?

If your mind isn't strengthened by reality and you believe the bible to be 100% true, then yes, your mind is weak.

I do not deny reality.
                    I embrace what I understand of it.
                    But, reality does not negate the supernatural, nor does the Bible dismiss reality.

It's the likes of you who dismiss the supernatural/spiritual.

Besides, if you want the mind to be the source and explanation of everything, you are really limiting your life to the five senses.

What stories have I not discarded, that I heard as a child?

2. profile image0
                  jomineposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Because you still cling to old childish stories as the truth.

The one you sprout as truth.

You entered this conversation with a wrong understanding of what was posted before.

Besides, why are you interacting with an idiot?
                    Lowers your own level of intelligence, doesn't it?

2. aguasilver profile image70

Aww shucks, and I was still enjoying your last funny, then you go throw some rubbish propaganda in again... sad

It's not propaganda, it's logic. You can have your God, just keep him off my doorstep.

Oh have no fear, I never doorstep folk, all my cases are sent to me on personal recommendation only.

God knows who needs assistance, and the Holy Spirit delivers them to me.

I may on occasion step in when I see an emergency, but I don't do any of the things you guys are afraid of, I don't do street work, door stepping or handing out cranky tracts, I did used to do radio and tv, and of course I write here on the forums and in my pages.

No I have no shortage of folk to work with, your door is safe from me.

Besides, I don't even know your address!

2. aka-dj profile image67

Which is it? ME, or people LIKE me?

I suppose you encountered many LIKE me before?

Here I thought I was "unique".
              Seems I'm jus a copy.

How about you?
              Are you an UNIQUE Atheist, or just another copy?

Both AKA. You and people like you. Notice "like" as in "similar," - not identical?

And you have definitely helped convince me that god does not exist and christianity is nonsense. You - AKA - you.

Thank you for the honor!

Be sure to tel Him, at the judgment day, that it was MY FAULT you were not a believer.
                  I'm sure it will help your cause with Him!

If atheism is represented by yourself, I am not impressed ONE IOTA, to become one!

To date, you have given NO argument worthy of my consideration for me to give Christ up for.

Thanks for making my point AKA. I was just pointing out that you are achieving the opposite of your stated intention. Certainly helping convince me I am right.

Odd - you think this is convincing me to believe? lol

I know you are not impressed with me AKA. Your "love" for me is clear. wink

2. profile image0

Am I in or out? I'm about average dj. Better than some, worse than others...but doing the best I can. I suppose, if God exists and there is a hell; my final disposition would be up to him. Not much I can do about it with no proof of life on a cosmic scale.

4. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I consider it's rather "stretchy" and designed to make unlimited room.  It "evolves".  haha but not so funny really; just threw that in with the hope that those who accept the wrong idea of "evolution" might give some thought to how extensive hell is.

'Cause Isaiah said:

"Woe unto them that...............regard not the work of the Lord, neither consider the operation of His hands.

Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge, and their honorable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.

Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure; and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it."

(Isaiah 5: 11..-14)

1. profile image0

Hey, thanks for the input. Can't say that I agree; but at least you attempted to address the question. I had no idea how quickly this thing would devolve into cat fighting.

Perhaps it is significant to see who started the sniping! smile

You asked a loaded question that no atheist could resist trying to disrupt, don't you know it is FORBIDDEN to mention hell, even in a light hearted manner on the forums. smile

1. profile image0

Well, all input is valid. Somewhere. To someone. I guess. My idea of a cat fight is probably someone else's idea of fun, or intelligent rebuttal.

Ahhh, if we could only see intelligent rebuttal, but what we see is just more cut and paste ridicule and inane comments.

Anyhow, the topic (which as always was high-jacked) was a good one, and it did entertain for a while, until folk made it into a funfair with smiley faces rather than commentary.

2. Disappearinghead profile image61
        Disappearingheadposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh dear Brenda, am I going to hell because I believe that the scientific observations supporting evolution are more credible that a literal reading of Genesis?

Of course not DH, and well you know it, IF the literal hell exists as depicted, then the ONLY reason you would get there is because you rejected Gods Grace and Mercy. smile

You mean God's potential punishment and the possibility of God's reward. Why would I chase a golden carrot that does not exist? If I chase said carrot, have I not put it there myself?

Actually I would have said OUR potential punishment and the possibility of OUR reward.

Indeed, why would one, and if you are 100% sure that you are correct, you need not bother.

No

Absolutely for like an addict, we chase the dream and hope for things to come. Confusing myth with reality, that's the illusion. People place unnecessary meanings, onto perceptions they don't easily Identify with. In other words... Religion simplifies it into irrational beliefs and behavior.

Funny, that's not how God explains it....

I was saying yes to your no. God is a perception created by the fear of change, namely the transition between life and death. Said change is inevitable and there is no way to say that God isn't wishful thinking, to a degree.

2. lorlie6 profile image73
                  lorlie6posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Okay, mischeviousme, it's time I 'came out' and say that I've accepted many faiths into my life. 
                  It happened after my near-fatal hip-replacement surgery back 5+ weeks ago.  (Not to be self-promoting here, but I wrote Hubs about that fiasco!)  You may say that the situation is temporary/unreal because it happened after such an 'event', but I don't think so. 
                  Anyway, I'm not sure about 'Hell', though I do know we all suffer when we know of our own wrongdoings.  That's Hell to me. I am also a recovering addict/alcoholic.  So when you say,   

"Absolutely for like an addict, we chase the dream and hope for things to come. Confusing myth with reality, that's the illusion. People place unnecessary meanings, onto perceptions they don't easily Identify with. In other words... Religion simplifies it into irrational beliefs and behavior."

I've never in my life confused myth with reality-I've been agnostic up until now, and I've never been beset by illusory thinking.  I am probably the most over-thinking individual you'll ever meet, and I usually come up with-at least my-reality.
                  Yes, I used to 'chase the dream' of drugs and alcohol and became, eventually, disappointed in the result.  That's not to say I didn't continue to chase it 'til I almost died-3 times.

"Religion" does NOT simplify anything "...into irrational beliefs and behavior."  Nothing's been simplified in my life, believe me, and my beliefs and behavior are anything but irrational.  No sh*t.

Sorry for such an outburst, but just had to chime in here...smile

When you have a pill or a drink, you are chasing comfort. When you have a supply, you are set. Or so it would seem... When a week's supply is gone in a day or so, the search begins aknew.

5. Eric Newland profile image62
      Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, we've all heard the expression "Hell on wheels," so much the same as in the space shuttle comment we must conclude that Hell can't be any wider than two horses' rear ends.

We've also got "come Hell or high water," so the height of Hell must be comparable to a severe flooding event. I did a little research on hurricane storm surges and tidal waves, so while I can't provide an exact figure it seems that a height of 25-50 feet would be reasonable.

That leaves us with length. I tried asking Siri, but she told me to direct spiritual questions to someone more qualified to comment. "Ideally, a human." (HA HA! SEE?! We CAN know!)

So I tried Googling "How long is hell?" Seems that most theologians agree that it won't last forever, but I needed a number. And then...I found it.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/entities/mo … /51/fx/rh/

Turns out there was an old movie called Hell Below. So how long is Hell Below? About 101 minutes.

So there you have it. Two horse asses wide, a few stories tall, and 101 minutes long. Those are the dimensions of Hell.

1. profile image0

Oh my!!! We have an answer to a question that has dogged man since time began. And we heard it first on Hub Pages. Thank you, oh enlightened one. smile

6. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hell, like heaven, caan be as big as you want it to be. Your imagination is your only limit.

7. BecauseIloveyou profile image41
      BecauseIloveyouposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You asked an excellent question! To answer about the size I would suggest rather to fathom hell in comparison to atoms of water, you might contemplate it from the computer aspect which I have really not much clue about, but they have such a thing as a "stuff it" compressor, where files gets so compressed that more fit.
      I would not be so much concerned about what religion has to say about anything, because it looks to me humans don't have much of an answer. All I see is religionist beat each other up.
      However Hell is very real, not only some whacked out Biblical concept of punishment. I grew up atheist and got to know God 30 years ago. Since have clarified, with God's help, a lot of biblical principle, which serves me perfectly well, so I have a cool life to live, with joy and started sharing with a blog, you might be interested in, since it looks like you are a thinker! Not many like that around. Most are tire kickers. Anyway, check it out for answers for a joyful life: http://adifferenceforyourlovedones.wordpress.com/

8. lorlie6 profile image73

Well, I'd say Hell is as big as you want it to be...lol

9. By His Way profile image60
      By His Wayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How big is it?

Big enough to not want to find out?

http://www.madtomatoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Facebook-Like-Button-big.jpg

1. lorlie6 profile image73
          lorlie6posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice FB app there, a.s.!

2. By His Way profile image60
          By His Wayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 12 years ago

Someone calculated that since time began there had been about 100 billion folk born (and I guess 93 billion of them have died so far) so lets guess that the current statistic of 2/3 of the current population have faith in God, or their version of God, and support the concept of hell existing as stated, then we would be looking at about 33 billion souls.

As experiments have indicated that a soul weighs about 1 oz, the volume of 33 billion would be approximately 801,004,436 m3, assuming we took the same density as air to calculate.

As the worlds largest building, the Boeing Everett Factory, is 13.3 million m3 it would take about 60 of them to accommodate the whole lot.

That seems not too much! smile

1. profile image0

Interesting. The soul weighs an ounce?  Thanks for posting your calculations.

2. A Troubled Man profile image57
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

lol lol <--- coveted double laughie award

3. randslam profile image78
    randslamposted 12 years ago

There actually is no use of the concept of "hell" by today's machinations in the translations of the bible.  The concept was created at the publication of Dante's Comedie to create fewer empty seats in the medieval pews of the monstrous temples being built.  You know, "scare the hell into people" kinda stuff.

You can find tartaros, Hades and gehenna in the present translations, but none of them describes an eternal place of fiery torture created by a god or a devil...rather just a grave...death...valley where they burned garbage.

Weird, isn't it?  Just another mythology of humankind...much like the hobbits joyous place called the Shire.

1. profile image0

So, how do you explain the store in the Cayman islands? I saw the picture. It wasn't photo shopped.

1. randslam profile image78
        randslamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't think Dante photoshopped his depictions either.  An actual artist drew some disturbing renderings...so much imagination in the human mind...scary stuff.

1. profile image0

Yes, but Dante wrote The Divine Comedy in the thirteen hundreds. I think this store is circa 1950. Are you saying Dante was reincarnated? He's just trying to drum up modern interest in his work? I'm not quite following you.

1. randslam profile image78
            randslamposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm trying to be humourous as I don't believe in the concept...too dark and hot...simply a bad idea.

Emile is doing just the same, her humour is razor sharp and quite delectable to enjoy, though less pleasurable to endure. smile

1. profile image0

That's sweet aqua. Most people would condense that down to a simple 'she's a b--ch.' But it sounds better when you say it. smile

Ahh, but neither you nor I are 'most people'..... smile

4. jacharless profile image73
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

According to Dante, Hell is not "big" but "deep".
    Its magnitude of depth has no true measure, unless one is appointed to a level, wherein they are able measure the width and depth of that stasis, depending on the magnificence of their "sins".

James.

5. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years ago

I cant correctly remember but it's about this big *makes a show of having his hands outstretched and wide apart*

Like this you mean?

http://chaplainslane.webs.com/satan-3-by-jack-chick.gif

1. Kangaroo_Jase profile image74
        Kangaroo_Jaseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I thought this creature is just telling you how big a fish it caught.

Nah, I would guess you are bigger than that! smile

6. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

as wide as the imagination, it could be as big as earth, sometimes hell is already here on earth - as defined by many people

7. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 12 years ago

I would say it is as small as one's mind.

1. profile image0

I definitely like this answer.

8. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 12 years ago

Hell and Heaven are as big as we let them be.

Hey, DD, that's what I said!  HAHA!
      prettydarkhorse said it even better. lol

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hell is big enough to hold everyone I know. (Or you know) Yet small enough to hold only me. (Or you, as the case may be.)

DD, hope it's not small enuf to hold the both of us, but it may be!!!! lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)