Question for the guys.....

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Emily Sparksposted 12 years ago

I would like your opinion on this......I had a boyfriend who treated me very well.  He was a total gentlemen and stood up for me.  We got along great.  He always complimented me and said sweet things.  I though he was the one.......and he said he cared for me very much.  Long story short, problems within his family came up, I was blamed for things (which I was innocent) and he sided with them (knowing I was innocent).  We broke up and now he acts as if I do not even exist.  Did he ever really care to begin with or was he just happy having a girlfriend?  What do you think?  Could you treat a girl you truly care about like that?  He will not even look at me or smile or anything.

1. Dale Hyde profile image80
      Dale Hydeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would say you were simply used as a show-piece, or dressing for "his" ego and pride. If this man had true feelings for you, he would not have sided with his family, turning his back on you, knowing the family was wrong.

1. profile image0
        Emily Sparksposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, this is now what I have come to realize. I think he just enjoyed having me by his side for all to see......

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
      Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hello darling smile, sorry that happened to you. Emotions can make people do erratic things. I've said and done things that I regretted to people I love and the thought of what I had done made it hard to face them again.

Hope you're ok.

1. profile image0

Thanks for your concern....I am doing pretty good.....good days and bad:)

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
          paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

How old is he?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
            paradigmsearchposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If he is young, it is very possible that he feels as absolutely miserable about the whole situation as you do; and he doesn't know how to tell you.

As to what to do, I don't know. There are just too many unknown variables, what with his family being involved in this somehow, etc. Plus, my theory could be wrong.

1. profile image0

He is young, but I don't think he feels bad.  He has made it known in various ways that he wants nothing to do with me.  I know him enough to think he would come to me if he had something to say.  We already talked and he made sure I knew some things, so I don't think he is feeling bad.
                Not only is he treating me as an outcast, his whole family does.  So, yes, it is a very complicated situation!

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
                couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I say turn the tables on him. Make him the outcast. If you cross paths, don't acknowledge his presence. Don't look him in the eye or anywhere above the feet. If you look at his feet, scowl in distaste as though you're looking at a hypocrite.

Not sure how you're coming into contact with the family but if you see them, do the same thing. Scowl like they're hypocrites. Curl your lip and make it known how much you disapprove of their behavior.

Gain your dignity and self respect back. You know the truth.

1. profile image0

Well, I do not wish to play their little game of treating badly.  I do not wish to treat them the way they are me-- the Bible says I am to return good for evil and to love my enemies.  If I stooped to their level, I would be acting no better. I do not go out of my way to talk to any of them, but when I must have contactl I am not going to treat them as outcasts--that would be wrong of me smile

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
                    couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It also says 'do not throw your pearls before swine' so your best judgment in the situation is the answer. I guess curling the lip is a little out of Christ's character. You're right, of course. My reaction was in defense of you but in reality, not the right reaction.

3. Ramsa1 profile image61
      Ramsa1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like he's under his family's control, a Mama's boy. You don't want this guy for a long-term, long-lasting relationship. He is not yet a man.

2. ptosis profile image68
    ptosisposted 12 years ago

When I break up with a person - I break it up all the way because I do not want to be tempted to go back like a dog to its own vomit. The emotional cost of trying to just be 'friends' is too much and I try to avoid getting false hopes and deep depression from failed expectations.

So Yes - He did love you, still has feelings for you. Pointedly avoiding you so as not to have inner conflict.

Maybe a long time from now you both can be relaxed with each other again but don't expect it soon or at all.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6510667_f248.jpg

1. profile image0

I can understand that to a degree, but why shun me as if I am an awful person?  His whole family shuns me.
        Also, if he truly cared about me, why would he have sided against me when deep down he knows I didn't do anything wrong?  I feel that if he had truly cared, he wouldn't have ditched me over false accusations but would have supported me.

3. iefox5 profile image59
    iefox5posted 12 years ago

Hi Emily, sorry to hear your experience. It is a great pity if you become strangers ever since, you should try to talk with him and figure out his thoughts.

1. profile image0

We did talk, but all he wanted to do was rehash everything that had already been discussed, and to stir up strife.  Sitting there that night looking at and listening to him really opened my eyes about the real him. I have tried to talled to him, but all I get is a curt answer and nothing more.  I am not sure there is anything else to say--I have tried to make peace! smilesmile

1. Efficient Admin profile image83
        Efficient Adminposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have done all you could.  You have tried to make peace. You have talked to him about the situation.  You said your eyes have been opened after talking to him about the situation and you see the real person he is.  Strike this up as a life experience.  Move on.

4. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 12 years ago

Contrary to popular media depictions of the modern male, men are not simple, shallow or easily explained.

It's fun to discuss the complexities of women because, in some ways, they do seem to be. But that is only because we've spent the last two centuries in the West trying to understand (and sometimes unravel) several hundred thousand years of evolved social behavior. To do that required reversing stereotypes, and where for several "literate" centuries women were deemed the simple gender with very basic assigned gender roles, today we do the same but in reverse. And, just as women centuries ago "seemed to adopt the roles assigned" so to do men today "seem to adopt" their roles as whatever they are supposed to be. Have a beer, watch sports, be shallow in relationships. It all fits and requires no thinking or paying attention to what's really going on. Someone turn up the TV, Dr. Phil is on.

Your boyfriend is responding to whatever he's responding to based a whole mess of things that are so much more complicated than anyone on an Internet forum can explain. Yes, it's fun, and yes, it's the Internet, so we all just throw our two cents into the penny fountain of emptiness, but, in the end, if this is a real problem for you and not just some Internet plea for attention, then you need to not worry about any of this crap, including mine.

He is a real person, and individual. So are you. He's not a stereo type or generalization, as any of us will attempt to make of him based on the scant paragraph you gave us.

He may be a total douche. He may be an amazing man in a tough place. You're not going to get answers here. Go live your life, for real. Find out. Talk to him, not us. Like really talk to him. And if he blows you off, you have to decide if you want to be patient and wait till he can (if ever can) or just move on. Nobody online has a clue for you.

1. profile image0

Well, thanks for your input.

5. profile image0
    mts1098posted 12 years ago

While it is important to standby your family there comes a time when the siding needs to be for the girl friend. Such a time happens when there is a heart ans soul connection between the two.   Each of us has to decide or weigh family support vs lifetime of happiness...cheers and good luck

1. profile image0

Thankyou!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)