Psychic or Synchronicity?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (34 posts)
  1. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Alright. Most of you have been there... you're doing something and you've a strong feeling a bad thing may happen. Then you stop doing whatever it is you may be doing, and then the particle accelerator gets swallowed up by miniature black hole but because you turned off the machine it doesn't exist long enough to swallow earth. (And you think CERN is down?! Hah! ;D)

Or, if you and I don't share the same hobbies, maybe you think about someone and they suddenly call you or you bump into them. This could be someone you've never seen in YEARS, and I mean, someone you may have just spent five minutes with at a party, and poof...there you are, staring at each other's faces again for some unknown reason other than time and circumstance.

Are we psychic, or is it that over time we build up subconscious algorithms, pattern recognition...the ability for our minds to say "hey, you'll probably run into this person soon but I'm not telling you why!"

Because I tell you what, the older I get, the more people out of the blue I think about, and generally within 24-48 hours that wife of the guy I shot at the bar on Tatooine is telling me it was all just a misunderstanding.

1. anjalichugh profile image69
      anjalichughposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All of us have some degree of intuition or a gut feeling which we rely on most of the times. When this intuition is taken to the higher level...it gives rise to psychic abilities. smile)

2. RooBee profile image82
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

When your network extends beyond our immediate solar system, there are bound to be such occurrences. It's a small universe, after all.

Psychic is such a baggage-laden word, but I think that we all are to some extent. Not Miss Cleo, crystal ball psychic but that we all have the ability to tap into a mass consciousness, if you will.

I am intrigued by your algorithm theory...hub about it you will write?

1. lxxy profile image59
      lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Possibly, if you ask me to. wink Like, through Q&A. ;D 'cause I want to see others take on this, too.

And you're already laying some groundwork for me. ;D

3. Teresa McGurk profile image61
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

I knew that my father was going to die (he was in Ireland, I was in the States) the day before it happened.  There was no reason to suppose it was going to, but I was ready for the phone call when it came. My brother was trying to break it to me gently (because it was so sudden), but I kept telling him it was ok, I already knew.

1. RooBee profile image82
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for your loss & thanks for sharing. I awoke once from a dream where my close friend told me he was going to be away for awhile and not to worry about him to be told that he had died in an accident early that morning.
      A little different than your experience, but in some ways similar. I wonder if it is our deep connection to this person that alerts us or whether it is their spirit communicating to us..

1. lxxy profile image59

I concur, and to be honest, the night before my grandfather passed away in December I had a dream about him. I don't remember much about it, but the weeks leading up to it I kept thinking of him. And then I felt something big had happened.

My condolences as well, Teresa.

4. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

I've wondered if we just notice things that happen related to something important.

The night my father had a heart attack (years ago) my sister and her husband came to visit "for no real reason".  It wasn't like them to visit on a Friday evening.  He had his heart attack in the middle of the night.  We always thought it was one of those "weird things".    If they had just popped in for an unexpected visit and he hadn't had a heart attack, it would have just been "one more unexpected visit".

In other words, I wonder if, at least in a lot of those instances, we only notice things because they're associated with something big.  I've had many times when I've been sure something bad would happen but it didn't.  Or, as you say, it could just be "odds" of something seemingly strange occurring every so often in any given lifetime.

1. lxxy profile image59

Interesting answer. I think you're onto something. But....are these people apt to just drop by? Or does it not occur often in general?

Why would they just drop by?

5. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Hey guys,

I will be doing something on this, but as many of you know, I never just do "one" thing in a hub.

Anyway, I found this a few days ago, and I think you might find it interesting....

http://www.firedocs.com/remoteviewing/a … crvmanual/

...this is an old training manual used in training U.S. government spies....well, a certain type of spy, actually.

And you too can do it. wink You already do, it's just so simple you don't realize it.

In Lightspeed,

lxxy

6. kblover profile image85
    kbloverposted 14 years ago

To me, being psychic is the ability to predict the movements created by synchronicity to a greater degree than average (whatever "average" might be).

I.E. psychic abilities don't make anything happen, they can just see further down the road than others - it's like looking ahead with binoculars instead of just squinting in to the distance, or like how a chess master can accurate predict a chain of moves from a single position on the board, even before his/her opponent has even moved.

I think many, if not everyone, probably has the ability to "be psychic" but either don't know how to tap into the ability or haven't developed it yet for whatever reason.

Basically, I don't think of it as psychic or synchronicity. I see it as psychic = reading synchronicity to far distance time/space.

1. Lifebydesign profile image63
      Lifebydesignposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I kind of agree but I think it really all comes down to energy. Psychic tends to be something that hasn't occurred but can be seen on some energetic level, while synchronicity is seeing it occur in the real world.

1. kblover profile image85
        kbloverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

True, but being psychic could just be reading what synchronicity will cause to happen at a distant time. Synchronicity is energy, imo, or at least energy manifested into an event.

It's like synchronicity (or reality) hasn't "gotten that far yet", but the psychic can take what's happening now (energies, situations, etc) and project the events into a future time (which, by definition, isn't real yet), with great/perfect accuracy, depending on the specifics of their gift(s).

yeh pretty much how I understand it

7. Capable Woman profile image61
    Capable Womanposted 14 years ago

It's just a glitch in the Matrix. No worries!

lol

8. Azur Moon Wolf profile image61
    Azur Moon Wolfposted 14 years ago

I don't believe in psychics in the actual sense of the word, but I do believe everyone is born with a certain degree of intuition - children, especially, though most tend to lose it somewhere along the way to adulthood.
    I told my father when I was very young (5 or 6 years old) to be careful at work.  For some reason I felt I HAD to tell him this even though I had no idea what he did, but I knew it had to do with ship-building.  I remember he just smiled and said he'd be careful - like he was indulging me.  That day a crane tipped over - luckily no one was hurt.  Coincidence?  Maybe; but my father listened to me after that!  smile

9. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Everything around you is waves. Light, sound, voice, touch, smell.

Being psychic is having clarity of reason, able to "follow" the signal of a particular event.

10. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 14 years ago

I guess we need to transcend this sometimes frustrating existence. And in trying to think too hard we maybe tap into our in built telepathic abilities and who knows what, in our other part of our brains that we cannot access yet.

I had a strange psychic link to our old dog and we both seemed to know when someone was going to come round to our house, I'd look at the dog and the dog would look at the door, then back at me and then a knock and Hello Granny!!

Maybe it's about connections in life, make a connection with someone, in a way you think like them or just know things that will happen because of that connection.

My head hurts, thinking too hard now!!

11. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Connections in life, indeed.

When I get the next ep out of MSBR I will try and show you how to clear up all that stuff in your head. smile

That way, thinking won't seem so difficult. ;D

12. DennisBarker profile image59
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

Pattern matching and recognition is part of it.I've had many such experiences of synchronicity over the years, some where imight expect them,others in areas where my experience is limited and I wouldn't have the time or inclination to gather pattern matching algorithms from experience.My personal theory is that the part of our makeup that is now described as psychic experience is an early warning system designed for survival when man was in the early part of his evolution.

The fight or flight early warning system developed into a social early warning system when there is no longer an immediate daily threat to life and limb.

1. lxxy profile image59

Great stuff! smile I think it becomes easier to understand quite what is going on the more you ask yourself..well, what is going on. ;D

The idea that you know more than anyone else or someone else knows more than you...is kind of a funny thing. I don't know if its true, really, to be honest.

The fight or flight system...yeah, definitely, been with us since the beginning.

Then again, it's in every thing with legs.. ;D

13. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

Cool. That's what some NA's believe too. Spirit travels and converses with others while we sleep depending how spiritual one is and believes. hmm no offence to anybody.

1. lxxy profile image59

I'm all about dreamland, Dame. smile

14. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 14 years ago

What I can't understand is how by thinking about someone you can then get to see them. I mean does this mean you have that much control over it all that you can cause another being to come back into your life again physically or at the least vai a phone call or some other form of communication, and if this is the case what else can you do? And if you are doing this what can those it is being done to do? I mean if you think of someone and then you get to see them, what say do they have in the matter?

It can apply to much bigger things like changing the weather. I have seen this.

A lot of the time it doesn't happen or work even when you want it to though - well not in my life...

15. lxxy profile image59
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Well, precepts and pre-tense are hard things to kill. I'm trying to kill mine, and in the process, I hope I can help others kill theirs...so we can all learn to mash motter. ;D

But consider this........
    .......ever watch a video? Ever feel goosebumps? Waves of emotion?

And then...waves of emotion when it happened? Well...emotion, eh? What the heck is that silly stuff, anyway? ;D

Vibrations.

Chains of actions, me thinks.

I could be wrong, and I might be nuts, but hey--I'm not you. ;D Our differences define, not divide. smile

16. JamaGenee profile image78
    JamaGeneeposted 14 years ago

Mine mostly happens in threes.  If, in a matter of hours, I see the first name of someone I once knew, I know I'll see (or get news about) that person within 24 hours or less.  Same thing with objects associated with a person.

Not always, though.  Just like the OP, someone I haven't seen for years will cross my mind and the phone will ring and it's them.  I always wonder if I picked up that they were thinking of me, or if my thinking about them prompted the call.  Who knows.  Either way, the connection was made.

I get that too Jama. I think it really is about thoughts being energy. And taking it further this idea that we can pick up on other people's vibes - whether their good to be around, or vice versa.

1. lxxy profile image59

Agreed. I don't think it's merely subconscious cues from "body language."

17. Jewels profile image84
    Jewelsposted 14 years ago

If you see thoughts as not being in the brain but above them then it's easy to see that you are 'tapping into' something.  Super highways of thoughts are what we tap into.  I've done a few hubs on experiences of thoughts beyond the mind.  Our bodies are included in the sensory elements of perception though.  The animal part of us, the life force and physical elements create the fight and flight abilities. But we can push the boundaries of abilities within the body.  Likewise we can push the boundaries of those which are beyond our bodies.  Call it being psychic - well anything to do with thoughts and emotions are realms of the psyche.  Anything outside the 'norm' is called psychic.  You can push push and push to get knowledge of this arena.  It's a wonderful endeavor to make the abnormal normal.  Vision and perception are boundless, just have to flex the muscles.

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have traveled a short way on the road of individuation, seeking the invincible fifth element, and can report that the road to self knowing is painful and is the road least traveled because of it. Carl Jung got it right with his notion that only a few people want to go there, taking the demons on as your own demons and learning how to deal with and utilize your own sub-conscious processes is the high road to  personal growth. I have experienced synchronicity on a few occasions myself.

1. Jewels profile image84
        Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Transformation, or self reflection is very hard, but amongst the murky waters are the most fascinating experiences.  Reaching higher states of consciousness is worth the hard road.  Wouldn't give them up for a life as a sleeper.

18. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

I believe in this. We are all made up of energy. Energy can do wondrous and terrifying things. We are receptors of energy too. Dreaming is energy spent, so is thought processes and speaking. Some people it would seem are more in tune with these precesses I think. Natural processes the ancients used. I believe that's how the Shaman's all got started.

1. Jewels profile image84
      Jewelsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

We can learn allot from the ancients CC. It's not all voodoo!  We have lost allot of knowledge because our minds are clogged with gunky crap.  Our minds incessantly chat away about nothing and we think it's wonderful! It's said the words of Julius Cessaer are still wafting around in the ethers, makes you think we should be more conscious of what comes out of our mouths. smile  The art of visceral perception is lost on most. But it only takes practice to get it back. Just have to shut up long enough to do it!  lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)