Apprenticeship Program

Jump to Last Post 51-76 of 76 discussions (443 posts)
  1. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

I wonder if HP could advance me a couple thousand against my future hpads earnings...

2. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

Perhaps on the first month, the staff chose apprentice based on what actually they want to accomplish - desired outcome which they envision. I read that they want to convert those talented writers to become best online page writes, whose pages are optimized to earn. I think the criteria are : they should be  respectable and good writes who can give positive feedback later on so that others may learn from them. I read this http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hubpages- … 00646.html

Those are good objectives, so I think they can choose applicants whom they think can fit those criteria. The qualitative criteria like good grammar etc., - it means they read their hubs, but if it is thousand apprentice already they might employ the stratified random sampling which will randomly pick the apprentice based on sampling characteristics for example : duration of being a hubber, topics of hubs - so that the staff can develop some structural layout changes and so on and so forth.

This mentoring program is a good idea specially if it is sustainable. I learned a lot from sunforged when we did the 60dc challenge.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
      Randy Godwinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I suppose we'll know when they release the names of those chosen in the first two months, PDH.  It would be strange if most were either newbies or Elite used for the training criteria though.  We already know some Elite have trouble with the written word, despite their presumptuous title.

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. Will Apse profile image89
        Will Apseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Lol.

He who laughs last....well, you know the rest of it, Will!  lol

3. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 12 years ago

There was another question on why we decided to pay earnings upfront for Hubs as part of the apprentice program. 

I mentioned the apprentice program combines the best elements of various programs that we have run in the past.  We've tested a few payments for publishing models in the past.  The number one thing people ask from is more earnings.  We will likely add other variations of these types of earnings in the future.

The apprentice program is one of our investments in Hubber's education. We created a plan that includes engineering resources, teacher resources, and additional income for participants.  (This is very different than most educational programs where people pay to learn).

We are trying to find ways to pay people more, but also set them up for long term success.  There are an amazing number of talented people coming to HubPages everyday.  I personally believe that education is one of the best long term investments we can make in Hubbers and that Hubbers can make in themselves.  This program is in its very early days, but I'd bet several star Hubbers will emerge out of the program.

4. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 12 years ago

Apparently, all of our questions on this thread are not worthy of being answered by staff.  Paul gave pseudo-answer to one query among over 300 posts and that's it.  About par for the course, lately.  Too bad all of the future contests are now tainted.  Everyone seemed to like them when they at least appeared to be fairly judged.  What a shame!  sad

1. Charles James profile image67
      Charles Jamesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Randy

I had noticed you on the forums before, but as you have 10,000+ posts the obvious answer is that I have not been looking.

If you were HP, and you have decided to set up this education project, the choice is between taking experienced hubbers or taking newbies with a leavening of old hands. The old hands would in my view be the better investment, but the newbies would be easier to teach. HP have chosen newbies. Should they select as the old hands people who seem constructive or people who might sour the entire cohort? The answer is obvious.

I am not saying you should not say or do what you want. But it is a little unrealistic to expect HP to put you into their programme as an inspirational figure.

What is your beef with HP? That they run it like a business because it is? Or they do not run HP the way you would? There are valid criticisms of HP, but HP do not want them raised continuously in what is meant to be a writing education programme. If they took you in the programme that is what they would get.

I suspect that Paul and the other staff do not get involved in the discussions much because there are some folk who will not be happy whatever Paul & Co say.

1. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I interrupt this thread to say hello to Charles: Hi, Charles!

Carry on.

1. SimeyC profile image89
          SimeyCposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm interrupting the thread to say stop interrupting!big_smile

1. habee profile image93

lol

Don't be a hater!

2. cardelean profile image86
        cardeleanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I'd like to add Happy Monday to you Charles!  smile

3. Randy Godwin profile image59

Sorry to take so long to respond but I've been gone all day.

I do not wish to be an apprentice, Charles.  Perhaps you've only skimmed this thread.  I did apply at first before I found out more about the program.  And also, no one has mentioned who the mentors are or what their credentials were.  I couldn't find anything about who they were and nothing was mentioned on this thread concerning them either.  For all I know they might only be Jason, Simone, or other members of the ordinary HP staff.

Ever heard of buying a pig in a poke? lol  So I made it clear on this thread I wanted to withdraw my application when I found out how it was being handled.  So you can banish out the thought of me wanting to be in the program.

Yeah, you got me Charles.  My goal is to inspire newbies and greeters by doing whatever it is that inspires such folk.  I cannot give them a fancy title or promote them over veteran members.  That seems to inspire them just fine.  lol

Oh, I do indeed know HP is a business, Charles.  Only hard cold businessmen do not care for those who work with them for mutual benefit.  I said "work with," not "for".  But you see, my problem is with the appearance of the whole scenario.  But I'll ask you like I asked Cardelean's mamma.  Is it fair for a contestant to be mentored by the judges?  Mamma didn't answer, but I'm sure you will. 

Or perhaps you can tell me who exactly are the mentors and who the judges were.  I will be exceedingly pleased if someone can tell me they were all different folks and also very glad to apologize here on the forums to both staff and Cardelean....I want to be wrong about this. 

Even if I am wrong it just smells bad. HP staff should have known it would look that way.  And if they never discussed the way it looked, well then that's not very encouraging either.       

You have a perfect right to suspect whatever you please, Charles.  but then, so do I.  I hope you get accepted into the program, Charles.  That way you can tell me who is actually in it and who is running the show.  Oh wait, I don't think you can.  lol 

At any rate, I am through with this controversy and hope you guys all sing Kumbayah around the campfire. I mean it, really.  Just be very careful,  otherwise your marshmallows will be burnt and charred, rather than sweet and toasted.  smile

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I just went back and skimmed the early pages of this thread Randy. The mentors were mentioned, and they ARE staff members. To be honest I really don't know enough about ALL the staff members to know if they are qualified to teach or mentor anyone, but from my own point of view I would have been more impressed if external writing professionals had been paid to perform this task and 'teach' those in the program, otherwise there is a risk the mentors may be less experienced than those they are teaching/mentoring!

Quoted text from Empress Felicity (Simone's words):

"Apprenticeship lessons cover ... getting established on multiple social networks, and developing a following...We also hold semi-regular Hangouts on Google+ in which Apprentices can speak to a live Mentor (a HubPages staffmember leading the program) face-to-face."

You can read her full post on page four of this thread.

Thanks Misty, but I assumed they could have hired some new people especially trained to do the mentoring.  At any rate, I knew I would not be welcome because of my interaction with both staff and greeters.  I'd much rather make less money and not have to deal with either group. 

Any idea about who judged the contest?  smile

I said much the same as you in my comment Randy (regarding mentoring) smile

No idea who judged the contest I am afraid, but guess it was also probably staff as opposed to professional writers, as if it was the latter I am sure they would have been named and this fact stated in the contest details etc.

Yes, I'm afraid it was staff too, otherwise why wouldn't someone come out and volunteer this info.  If this is indeed the case then there are two possibilities of why, and neither are very encouraging. Either they knew it was not the right thing to do, or they didn't.  It's hard to decide which is the worst case scenario.  sad

I would have been happier to see an independent and qualified judge/judges for the competition for sure. Ah well, it is done now so when they next run one hopefully the judges will be made clear from the start so those considering entering can decide if they feel those people are capable judges smile

Before this contest I would not have cared if staff judged it if they had kept the apprentices out of it.  I don't believe it will happen again, though.  smile

5. Charles James profile image67
    Charles Jamesposted 12 years ago

Hello and happy Monday to all of you. And happy other days, too.

I have just finished my first novel, and it is with a reader for comment. I hope I can e-publish this month. Love to you all. I mean all.

1. cardelean profile image86

Congrats Charles!  I wish you all the best.  smile

2. habee profile image93

Kudos!

3. Denise Handlon profile image85
      Denise Handlonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Charles-that's wonderful-congratulations to you and many more successes to you!

4. Hollie Thomas profile image60
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well done, Charles. smile

6. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years ago

Congratulations, Charles!  Please let us know when it's available!

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 12 years ago

I would love to hear some more reports from hubbers who are now in the program.
    How is it helping you? I'm sure others would also like to know. Thanks!

Good luck finding out who they are, Rebekah.  smile

2. Shanna11 profile image74
      Shanna11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm in the program and was part of the first group. It's helping me learn a lot of SEO, really and how to write evergreen content that is easily found. It's not really teaching me "how to write" but how to make what I write more commercially successful.

I have no problem telling people I'm in the program or telling them about it.

1. dmcgaw profile image89
        dmcgawposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Shanna - is this the account your write with?  I didn't get accepted, which I'm not really surprised about because I think that I have too much online experience.  But I still don't make much money from hubpages and I'd like to see that amount increase.  I was hoping to observe some of the hubs that are resulting from the program.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you go back through this thread, there are a few who are currently in the program. You can look at their most recent hubs.

Shanna, thanks for sharing. That's good to hear.

I'm also wondering about any who have been writing on HP for more than two years. Are they seeing a benefit to being part of the program?

I have checked some of the hubs being published, and many are very well written and laid out in a clean professional style. I saw a couple that I thought lacked a certain something, not sure what. Perhaps a more personal factor... to me it read more like a travel brochure, which I guess is fine if you're simply giving facts or names and places. I'm sure it will receive good search traffic, but at the same time, it didn't seem unique. [I'm not being critical, just making my own observation.]

1. Shanna11 profile image74

Ah, that's one of the things I find hardest. The first month, we had titles assigned to us, and I found it hard to put a personal touch into those Hubs since I had no prior experience in some of them and had to research a lot. The Hubs I'm writing now for the program are of my own choice and I'm trying to add a little unique something...

Shanna, I had not noticed this in your hubs and wasn't referring to anyone in particular. And I know there is a fine line when writing. I have noticed this style of writing all over the internet, articles suggesting the best places to travel written by someone who has never visited the suggested places, or the best baby toys for infants written by those who know nothing about how the infant brain develops and what kind of toys really are best, etc.  Hubbers have always been encouraged to write about topics of which we have some interest and authority. That's where I'm coming from.
              After reading your hub about Provo, Utah, I can see that the author (you) has also been there. It tends to give more credibility to the suggested places you mention.
              On the other hand, I can understand having assignments to tackle specific writing topics/styles. The hubs I have taken a look at are written very well and I think the program must be very helpful. Thanks for taking time to share.

rebekahELLE, I have not been here two years or more but have been for about a year and a half.  I can tell you that although I am not sure of the reason I was chosen, I can tell you that the functions of writing and putting together a quality piece of writing are not my weakness.  My weakness is knowing how to write with keywords in order to pick up online traffic outside of Hubpages. 

Yes, we were "given" our titles for the first month by the team, however, we were also asked to give the team a list of topics/ideas that we would like to write about.  I cannot speak for anyone else in the program but I was VERY specific with what I gave to the team which included very specific hubs that I was planning on writing.  My titles were tweaked and given to me but all of the rest of the writing and researching was done by me.

As for what I have seen so far, I have begun to more clearly understand how to create search friendly titles and subtitles.  I have begun to go back and rework some of my previous hubs and they are now receiving more traffic than in the past.  I am seeing about a 60-80% increase in traffic (depending on the day) pretty consistently now and the same ratio with my Hubpages ad earnings.

I will also add that although I have in the past read some of the information in the learning center, I should have spent more time on it.  It really is a valuable resource that shouldn't be minimized.  Hope this helps you.

Thanks! It's great feedback to hear how it is helping you and the increase in traffic. It all sounds good!

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
                    Marcy Goodfleischposted 12 years agoin reply to this

RebekahELLE - I am also a member of the Apprentice Program (second beta group).  I have no idea why I was invited, but I was and am thrilled and honored to be included. I have a long background as a published writer, but I'm fairly new to publishing directly online (anything else I've done online was filtered through a publication or done more casually, such as on discussion sites and forums in various places). 

Regarding the idea that a writer needs personal experience in a subject, or that writing should have that 'feel,' I think there are several schools of thought.  Many writers have to write about various topics about which they know very little, but through research and interviews, they gather facts, data, tips, points of interest and convey information.  Some of my articles about highway development,  bridge construction and other tough topics have been republished by engineering groups. But I'm not an engineer; I'm a writer.

As with Shanna, I was assigned a specific list of titles for this month.  These are areas in which I have some interest or background.  But some articles I've written here and elsewhere are simply topics that pop into my mind and, after researching, I write about them. 

Look at the great work on this site by Patti Inglish, as one example.  She researches and writes with authority about employment and industries all over the world! 

It's my understanding that Hupages wants, in addition to the many other genres on the site, informative articles about a variety of topics. The beauty and fun of freelancing and writing on a site such as this  is that you can spread your wings and learn many new things as you delve into new topics.

Writers are conveyors of information, but not always the source.  While many articles lend themselves to personal touches, others need objective facts and information. The nice thing about HubPages is that the site welcomes both approaches.

This is the account I write with. To be honest, I was surprised to be invited-- I'm sure if I applied now, I would not be accepted since I'm really very new at online writing. I think maybe I was added since I'm so young? I'm the youngest in my group currently by I think about ten years?

I was so surprised that I asked the staffer who invited me why I was invited. She said it was because I showed potential. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

8. TravelAbout profile image67
    TravelAboutposted 12 years ago

Yesterday, I received an email saying they are still in the review process due to the overwhelming response.  It was worded in a way that I could not determine if the May group has been selected yet or not.  It basically just told me that they did receive my application and it has not been reviewed yet. Has anyone else received an email in response to their application?

Yep!  With only 30 per month being accepted, most are told to reapply 6 months down the road.  You can have my spot though.lol  Check back in a couple of generations!  tongue

1. TravelAbout profile image67
        TravelAboutposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't have that much life time remaining but if, for some unfathomable reason I am still alive and also have a mind left, I'll be sure to take you up on that offer!

Actually TravelAbout, if you look on the previous page of this thread, Paul Edmonson indicates that he would like to see several groups starting each month in the future.  You may want to check that out for more accurate info.

Thanks cardelean and congrats on being invited to participate.  It kind of reminds me of Idol and the stiff competition throughout the tryouts up until the final winner is picked.  So much talent to choose from.  It sounds like you are really getting something out of the program which is the intent. Please keep us posted on your progress as you move along.  Since it has been so well received, I'll bet we'll see more programs of different sorts rolled out in the future.

9. davenstan profile image59
    davenstanposted 12 years ago

I received a reply. Unfortunately I did not make the cut. I was invited to take the 30 hubs in 30 days challenge. I write at least 20 to 25 per month.

10. Hollie Thomas profile image60
    Hollie Thomasposted 12 years ago

I did, and was told to re-apply in six months. I actually think this is fair enough, I have not published on average two hubs per week, or taken part in the 30  hubs in 30 days challenge, all which have been available to me during my time at Hubpages. There have been reasons why I haven't, other writing commitments etc. Having said that, I can see where Hubpages staff are coming from, they've provided the opportunity for learning and progression for all of us. I'm actually cool with their decision, there are new hubbers that have written  more hubs than I have within their first 30 days, and older hubbers too, I might add. Yeah, I'm cool with there decision, now I just need to write more hubs. EWW, politics... no more forum posts, just hubs. smile

I'm not expecting to be invited but I would consider it a great stroke of luck if I were.  I think that it is great that you were at least asked to re-apply.  They must have liked what they reviewed.  That's a good thing!

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't invited, I applied. But it's all good. smile

Hopefully there will be more programs added that we can all have a chance to participate in at some point!

I imagine the huge response shows site management that there's plenty of interest in more opportunities!  I hope you apply when they accept more applications in the future.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85

Marcy, thank you for your thorough response. I do understand that writers are not always the source and that's certainly one important reason writing is a profession. Businesses need writers. Artists need writers, musicians, etc.
    I suppose the reason I brought up the topic is because as long as I've been here on HP, there seemed to be an emphasis to write on what we know well and love. So that's really what I have written. I've had to do some additional research on certain topics, but most of what I write comes from my knowledge and experience.
    I think of copywriting when articles are written strictly to give information. With more people reading online than offline, I think there are times when those kind of articles can be tedious and repetitive. They say the same thing that someone else has written. While I understand these types of articles are necessary, I want my hubs to be a resource of writing from my interests, professional qualifications and the occasional fun stuff.
    I'm not a full time writer. I'm sure I may think differently if I was! lol But I love the writing process and being read. I think it's fascinating that people from all over the world can read our hubs. smile
    I'm sure you were selected because of your knowledge, experience and ability to produce informative, well-written hubs. Good luck and thanks for replying.

Rebekah - you are absolutely right that one potential problem when writing a research-based article is the risk of just plain copying material from other sources. I see that all the time in the university courses I teach - no matter how much we warn students about plagiarism, it still shows up. But you can indeed take topics into new directions, present facts in refreshing ways and add research from multiple sources to create works that use research but are originally crafted.

Thanks so much for being supportive and helpful to everyone here.  I have learned a lot from writers who have been here for a while, and I think that will always be the case.  There are experts in so many fields on this site - what a wealth of information we have here.

12. rebekahELLE profile image85

You're welcome. I am very impressed with the caliber of writers who have joined HP recently.  As I mentioned somewhere before, HP does attracts real writers and professional people. There are some excellent hubs being published!

13. Randy Godwin profile image59

Just what HP needs.  More folks writing about things they have no experience in whatsoever.  Those who cannot do, teach.   lol

I suppose the old axiom about writers choosing subjects they know from personal experience is now outdated.  At least on HP, it seems.  tongue

Oh give it a rest already. The cow is dead. Stop beating it.

Wrong, there are plenty of sacred cows here to flog, Shanna.  Bovine intelligence is alive and well here as has been thorough exemplified by those who know no better.  Not calling any names, of course!  lol

And too bad for you, the forums are open to the opinions of many here.  Not just the chosen.  Sorry!  (not really)  tongue

M'kay, it's your choice..... but you're not doing yourself any favors now with this repetitious ranting about the "chosen" and HP's shortcomings. =/

It kind of just reminds me of Voldemort, to be honest.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
      Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So using your example everyone who was not aboard the Titanic should never have written about it? Some of us consider ourselves good researchers.

Yes, some people just regurgitate what they read, but not everyone does.

"Write what you know" also means writing about what you have learned about by reading.

Very true indeed!

2. habee profile image93

True, UW!

Of course not, Susan.  People write about things all of the time they have no knowledge of.  But it doesn't mean it will be accepted as fact or worthy of reading.  I do like the "Titanic" analogy though.  It may be even more pertinent than you imagine.  Only enough lifeboats for the crew and other certain passengers, perhaps?  Did you get invited into the AP, Susan?  lol

Oh yes, we are the 'chosen'. We're actually also getting initiated into the Illuminati next month and are learning their secret ways.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79

Is there a secret handshake? smile

But of course! We also get to wear cool robes. I hear, since we're the 'chosen' we also get to wear robes for the HP program. I'm in the process of learning strange rituals and chants at the moment, actually.

1. habee profile image93

I'm having trouble memorizing that last chant. Think you could help me with it? Hubby loves my new robe, BTW! lol

Hahaha it's the one that starts "We are better, we are best. Let's go gloat over all the rest." Remember it now?

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

Wow!  At least they didn't choose any silly members!  tongue

Silly? No-- never! The Illuminati will have only the best.

I highly recommend you join the "Elite" group Shanna.  You do indeed have the required qualifications.  Perhaps a bit more tan on your proboscis will do the trick!  (Joking)  lol

It took me a few minutes to get that joke..... Ew..... tongue

Of course!  Those online dictionaries are handy, aren't they?  yikes

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79

No I didn't smile

Sorry, perhaps your loyalty to the site is too obvious!  lol

3. habee profile image93

Actually, the AP tries to match our titles with our experience. For example, I was assigned to write hubs about fishing, beauty pageants, hunting, dogs, grandparenting, arts and crafts, and British literature. Hopefully, I'll also write some horse hubs, and perhaps some cooking and travel hubs.

If you were in the program, Randy, you'd probably write to topics like RVs, hunting, fishing, Jamaica, karate, mechanical repairs, etc.

I have absolutely no interest in being in any program HP staff are teaching.  This is especially true since the last contest was so completely manipulated by them.  I have no desire to learn from those who do such.  Of course, there will always be those who don't care for fairness and honesty, but unfortunately, they usually come out smelling like a rose.  In this case, a rose by any other name.....still stinks!  lol

I don't understand you Randy. You're a glutton for punishment. You keep saying how much you dislike HP and their manipulation or what have you, but yet you keep coming back for more and complaining loudly about it the whole time..... interesting....

Yes, it is indeed a bad fault to have, Shanna.  Perhaps it was the way I was raised to dislike things clearly wrong and speak out against them instead of running away like a scared little girl.  I'm sorry I simply can't put up with cr*p like those of you who seem to take it as a matter of course.  We all have our faults.  Well, almost everyone, but not you, of course.  Write on, sister!  lol

Yes. This is indeed a moral dilemma worthy of a civil war. DON'T LET THEM CRUSH YOU BROTHER!

Also, I take offense to your scared little girl comment. My older brother ran away scared far more times than I ever did. tongue

Ha, no chance of that hapening, Shanna.  I've dealt with such writing sites before.  They all end up the same way when they finally reach this point.  You'll find out for yourself if you stay here long enough.  2 months?  The voice of experience your certainly are not.  I am cutting you some slack simply because of that fact, believe it or not! smile

I should be hitting three months soon.

We'll see what mindset I'm in in a year or two- fair bit of warning though-- I'm not usually the 'jaded' kind. I tend to just be happy-go-lucky about everything.... wink

2. habee profile image93

I wish you didn't feel that way, RD. You already have good writing skills, so I think you'd really benefit from adding some SEO skills. You have some info in your hubs that people would love to learn, but if they can't find them on big G...

1. IzzyM profile image87
            IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

In defence of Randy here, his hubs are not being found on the big G because his account has been sandboxed, not because his SEO skills are lacking.

I know, because my account suffered the same fate as Randy's, yet my new subdomains are all doing well.

I apply the same SEO techniques I learned while on my main account across all my accounts and they do still work, just not on a sandboxed subdomain.

1. habee profile image93

Sorry, I though he was out of the sandbox now. How long does G keep you there? I thought it was 6 months?

I'm just trying to be helpful. Randy is a good writer with interesting hubs, and I'd hate for us to lose him.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Being sandboxed is a new experience for any of us here. We hoped it would only last for six months, but from all accounts it can last up to a year.

I am convinced it is the sandbox effect that has been applied to some of us. If our accounts do not resume normal traffic after 12 months, we can assume it is something else entirely.

From what Randy has reported, some of his traffic has returned but only back to the level he experienced when he was only on site for six months or so.

None of mine has. I had a pre-Christmas boost when some of my new hubs hit some important non-Google traffic, but since that has died away so has my earnings and traffic. I give up, I really do - on this account anyway.

I have several hubs that are front page on Bing, Yahoo and other search engines, that have never received one single visit from Google.

Unfortunately their traffic levels can't compete.

It is horrible because it seems like everyone (non-HP)is stealing my hubs and ranking for them, while mine are buried.

Still, my new subdomains keep me busy and make writing here fun again smile

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Izzy - thanks for the info on the sandbox thing.  I still don't understand how and why Google sandboxes, how people figure out that's happened, and how it can be addressed.  I've read a few forum threads and hubs, but I guess the process is meant to operate in the dark to begin with. 

I see you and Randy as two of the many writers we can all use as role models in various ways. I appreciate your background, history on the site, expertise and success. 

It saddens me to see newer members to the site feel attacked simply because of being new here. Regardless of someone's writing background or whatever ways they can add to the talent here, often we see 'Newbie' as a put-down in various threads. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with the sandbox hassles. It is more helpful than you know when we find salient information and tips we can learn from as we develop here.

1. IzzyM profile image87

Thanks for that Marcy, WTG on the 100 hubscore!

Thanks Izzy!  You are one of the few truly honest folks on this site.  Those who have not experienced our dilemma are usually the very ones who feel compelled to weigh in on our predicament.  I suppose it's only human nature.  But for some, "inhumane" may be a better description.  lol

I hope I'm not one of the ones coming across to you as inhumane.... =/ Yes, I can be annoying and naive, but surely not inhumane?

1. CMHypno profile image82
                  CMHypnoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I think that we all need to remember the thing about 'walking in other people's shoes', as we have all had different experiences here.

I have a spot in the sandbox right next to Izzy and Randy's and we all 'plunged' at the same time last August, so I know where Randy is coming from as, although many have been very supportive, we have taken some pretty heavy flak from some of our fellow hubbers and I have felt that the HP staff lost interest pretty fast and  have pretty much left us out to dry.

I am glad that you are having a great and positive experience here, and that you are getting lots of support from the HP staff and hubbers, but Randy is a wise old snake, so have a listen to what he is really saying under the hissing as you may find it useful in the years to come

1. IzzyM profile image87

+1

I really do respect and like Randy, and I'm "listenin' to his hissin'" even if it does look like I'm just goofing off. I didn't realize he'd been sandboxed. Thank you for the perspective.... sometimes I need it more than I realize.

4. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, people shouldn't stop writing what they know about.  But stumbling on a niche and immersing yourself in knowing more about it can give writers credible material to write about.  If my experiences are in topics that aren't going to appeal to advertisers, then I'm writing just for fun, eh?

14. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

People produce movies, write books and create art about things they haven't personally experienced.  They also write dissertations based on research.  I value that type of academic writing, and others do, too.  Many engineers, doctors, artists, musicians, business leaders and others have amazing information to share but can't write, and often don't particularly care to write. A good writer can interview and extract that information and convey it for the benefit of others.

Writing is a profession, the same as those careers are professions.  It can also be a personal outlet, but when it's a career choice, it is a job, much like any other career.  An architect designs a building based on his or her ability to design, not because they happened see a building one day while out on a walk.

Very true.  And teaching is a profession is its own right as well.  I'd like to see some of those who think they know, teach.  It's not a profession for the meek and meager.

2. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't plan (at least right now) to apply for the apprenticeship program because my biggest weakness/laziness, as far as traffic goes (at least with my better Hubs) is the SEO stuff.  I know the rock-bottom basics and have generally not paid a whole lot attention beyond that.  There's a lot of stuff I could stand to learn in that department.   (As an "old" Hubber, and as someone who knows that what there is to learn has been out there and free anyway, one reason I don't have a problem with newer Hubbers being offered the program is that I pretty much think if someone here as long a I have been hasn't learned stuff yet, that person either isn't interested or has other reasons for not learning it.)

I think it's great (and smart), though, that HP has apparently factored in the life-experience thing for people in the program.

I think where things can muddy in online writing is that people are always looking for what is considered their idea of "high-quality writing" according, sometimes, to the narrower standards of individual areas/fields of writing. 

I come from both a corporate (marketing, business planning, and scientific) background where writing, itself, is not "the main point" and a freelance writing background (including public relations and newspaper work).   A lot of people also come from academic-writing-only backgrounds or else from something like writing ad copy.  There's also any number of other fields that have their own writing styles.  As a result, what's considered "high quality" from one area to another can be very different.

Then, too, there are people like "this side of me", who have lived quite awhile, had more than their share of all kinds of experiences; and after a lifetime of writing stuff other than one's own ideas/experiences, have decided to share what doesn't, in fact, show up in research/resources (especially those that are most visible to the "online writing public", as opposed to those that require professional membership and/or payment for access).  Regurgitated research and/or even interviews with some people don't always lead to new ideas or to adding a new angle to existing ideas.  Google's list of things authors should ask includes the matter of "intimate familiarity with the subject".  The person with solid research and writing skills is likely to make sure that his writing (even if it's from personal experience) can be backed up/supplemented by solid research sources even when he writes from his own, personal, intimate familiarity with an experience (and for a lot of people having the experience often includes doing a whole lot of personal research/study when the experience is a "big enough" or "often enough" one).

The world (including the publishing world) and history are full of authors who have written from their own ideas, experiences, observations, and lessons learned.  The technology to detect things like "natural writing style" hasn't always existed, so what was considered "high quality" or "a traffic-getter" on the Internet hasn't involved whether or not a piece of writing had any substance to it or anything new to offer the world of readers.

The Internet has generally and commonly been viewed as a place for conveying information.   Information is easy enough to share, as you said.  Insight isn't always that easy to share.  That's where personal-experience and "intimate familiarity" can come in.  It shouldn't be assumed that personal experience can't possibly also include one's having studied up or researched well beyond the purposes of one, specific, article; because people who write online are very likely to be "writer types" (if not professional writers who know the difference between an information-only article and a "personal-experience/insight" piece and who believes they may have something unique (as Google has included in its list) to share with the reader. 

Some people see a building and decide to write about.  Some people think they've had all kinds of life experience when, in fact, their mix of personal-experiences may not have been much more unique than most other people's.  It can be positive or negative experience, but some people have a lot more life experiences than others (whether or not those others are a similar age or very different in age).  As a result, a lot of people don't really know the kind of insight that can come from a particular kind of experience, mix of experiences, or repeated experiences.

If HubPages is factoring personal-experience in as a starting point (and form of "intimate familiarity with the subject"), I think it's a great way to start with the people most qualified to write about a subject, recognize when research sources are adequate, complete,and match real life; and recognize, too, how and when specific research for the particular Hub is required.  It looks to me as the HP staff knows how to increase the chances that Hubs will be unique and stand a good chance standing out from the crowd of other Internet articles on the same subject.

Hubs aren't dissertations, but to the best of my understanding even dissertations are expected/required to come up with something completely original.  (Maybe I'm wrong about that.  I don't have a Ph.D.)

Also, though, most professionals in areas other than writing can write well enough to get their way through school and through the business day.  Expecting Hubbers who are professionals in capacities other than writing to do more than write at a college level and know their SEO/Internet stuff pretty much goes back to that thing that differentiates the best piece of writing from the average piece of writing, and that goes back to the thing about how "unique" so often comes from personal experience/insight.

In the offline world of writing (other than in book-/novel-writing business), personal experience doesn't always, or usually, matter.  The Internet is so over-loaded with articles, I think "powers that be" now know they need to offer more uniqueness if they're going to stand up to the competition.  Internet writing is HP's business.  It think they know exactly what they're doing when it comes to the thing about what personal experience can bring to online writers' stuff.

15. Randy Godwin profile image59

I have taught others myself.  But only things I am fully experienced in.  I cannot speak for those who merely read about subjects and attempt to pass themselves off as completely knowledgeable in the field. 

I guess we should ban courses like Greek Philosophy, Ancient History or anything else that happened so long ago that nobody is around now?

Only if they are not taught by ancient Greek philosophers, or don't have actual  hands-on experience in Greek philosophizing!  lol  But I do believe getting a job as an ancient Greek philosopher is tough these days, and I'm not sure what the going rate of pay is either.  lol

Lol!  wink

I'm headed to church now (that ought to get you started on a whole new tangent, Randy - just for you, I'm posting this). Shanna's the only one here who will understand why I go to a 2 pm service.  I'll be back later, so hold your sparring directed at me until then, okay?

Fine with me, Marcy!  Mormon..er I mean..mum's the word!  smile

Careful. Marcy and I are members of the Mormon Mafia. We'll come after you..... wink

Are you both married to the same husband too?  lol

I dunno - Shanna, what's yours look like?

No, we shouldn't ban them, but we shouldn't assume that people who include personal experience in their present-day writing haven't read them (or any number of others) either.   We also also shouldn't overlook the fact that they came up with original ideas that have stood the test of time and testing.

I wasn't saying that information can't be shared by those who haven't had personal experience in the subject.  I was saying that insight is far less likely to be included with that information without personal experience.  Can people come up with brand new insights?  Sure, but how many who write solely from research actually include their personal insights with their article?  No too many.    Why?  Because they've been told the only thing worthy of a "professional" piece of writing must come from someone else's research - not from their personal insight.   Most of know that people like the great philosophers wouldn't have done very well on the Internet (at least until now, but maybe not really for a few/several more years from now).

There are some things (insights) between philosophical concepts and "how to buy the best coffee mug" (or even "best places to eat in Boston"), though that involve the less lofty things of concepts and, instead, the more day-to-day things of understanding, and getting through, life.

1. habee profile image93

Lisa, I tend to agree. Some of my best hubs (traffic wise) combine facts and figures with my personal experience. For example, I wrote a hub about MGUS, a condition I have. I included "scientific information," but people can find that on numerous internet sites. It seems that, according to comments and emails I've received, people are more interested in reading about the personal experiences of a fellow "sufferer" and how the writer handled the situation.

1. Lisa HW profile image62

habee, I've lived with a constant "identity crisis" and insecurity when it comes to what I write on this site, because I've never really known what we're "supposed to be writing".  All we ever used to hear was that Hubs that are useful, informative or unique" tend to do best.  So, without ever really having one particular style of Hub in mind, I've just written "whatever".  Sometimes it might be what I see as "a good Hub".  So often, I think it's "just my own going on and on about something". 

I've never changed my ways, though, because sometimes some of the least formal/professional pieces of writing make it the first place in a search.  Personally, I'm embarrassed to see some of those in first place because I pretty much see them as "crap".  Maybe not crap as far the information goes, but crap in terms of what "an article" is supposed to look like.

On the other hand, I've written some Hubs in reply to people's questions about serious things in life; and I've gotten traffic and/or feedback that makes me see the value in some of those persona-experience/insight things.  I once got an e.mail from a woman who had lost her child a year earlier.  She said she'd found my Hub after "searching everywhere" and looking for something that might apply to what she was going through as the first anniversary of her awful loss came around.  She said she "finally hit it" when she found my Hub.  That meant so much to me.  Even as I write this I kind of feel like crying or like I"m close to goose bumps all this time later.   It just  kind of hit me, too, that there really is something to be said for sharing some things we've picked up along the way.  Her particular loss was unique to her, but she'd been looking for something that had nothing to do with type of loss.  Personal experience doesn't have to involve something big and awful, like loss, though.

Where my challenge on this site has been has been how to present that personal-experience stuff.  I don't want to lead readers to think I'm an expert, so I make it a point to write from the first-person point-of-view.  That, of course, makes the Hub look unprofessional   Then, though, I've always figured that HP lets people post poetry and fiction, so I've always figured that a first-person non-fiction piece ought to be OK.

With some personal experiences, just adding a quickie line, like, "I've lost a number of people in life," won't always say where or how some insight has grown.  A quickie line like that is likely to get a reader to think, "So, what?  Who hasn't?  What makes you any different?"

So sometimes, in order to really help a reader see "the formation" of an insight or an idea or even technique, a lot more has to be added if the Hub isn't going to have someone thing, "So where'd this information come from?"

So, it's always been a challenge; and I'm particularly glad to see that HubPages is acknowledging that writing from personal experience can be a valid thing to do.   smile

Excellent example, Lisa.  My most visited--and best earning too, by the way--hubs are those I have personal and/or hands-on experience with.  Apparently I had so many sites linking to these hubs that Google thought I was gaming the system when I switched to my sub-domain.  I've been in the sand box for over 9 months now.  What a great reward for supplying needed and appreciated information.  lol   

These hubs are filled with many questions and comments from those seeking easy to understand solutions for their problems which, I am glad to say, are usually answered by my self.  Let someone research this stuff and try to do the same without personal experience.  Some subjects cannot be merely researched and written well about by complete novices, no matter what some may infer.  smile

16. Bianu profile image60
    Bianuposted 12 years ago

Habee and Lisa,
    I agree. My best hubs in terms of traffic, combine first hand experience with 'facts'. From the number of comments and questions, it seems the readers are able to tell which subjects you are really knowledgeable about.

On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with a Sahara desert nomad learning so much about ice and snow that she writes a series on winter.

1. Lisa HW profile image62

Bianu, I don't at all think a person can't come up with an informative article that's based only on research.  I've been that desert nomad writing about ice and snow many times over the years.  I don't think there's a thing wrong with it.  That kind, and personal-experience writing, are just different.   I do, though, maintain that person who has made his way through snow and ice and has managed to survive has a lot more depth (and often personal-know-how) to offer when he writes about it (particularly if he makes his Hub informative, as well as "insightful").

One real advantage to personal experience, though, is that it helps us recognize when what's out there in terms of research is incomplete, inadequate, or even incorrect (and that happens more than a lot of people would realize if they didn't have one experience or another).   I wouldn't give examples of the number of Hubs I've seen that look "all professional and well researched", but that contain inaccurate information.  It's obvious that the Hub is "all research" and no personal exposure/experience to the subject.  Yet, there'll be comments like, "Great Hub.  Excellent research."   hmm

17. Randy Godwin profile image59

Discretion is the better part of valor.  I asume you guys still believe there are people living on the sun also?  tongue  I believe one of your main characters said this, or am I mistaken?  smile

Living on the sun? Lol, haven't heard that ONE before. Pretty sure it's not doctrine.

Oh really?  It was stated as truth by either the con man Joseph Smith or Brigham Young, both owners of many wives themselves.  I'm surprised at you guy's lack of knowledge concerning your own religious leaders.  Perhaps now I understand why you guys are in the apprentice program.  lol  (Only kidding about the last sentence) smile

1. Jared Zane Kessie profile image88
          Jared Zane Kessieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It was Brigham Young, and it was not doctrine. It was more in reference to the belief that there is life beyond that found on our own planet. The belief in life outside of Earth IS doctrine, not on what planet/star/solar system it can be found.

Ah yes, Brigham.  I'm always surprised at how ignorant religious people are about their leaders.  He had at least 30+ wives if I'm not mistaken, as did the con man Smith.  Both said so many ridiculous things it's a wonder anyone with any sense at all ever believed anything they said.  But it is indeed true that ignorance is bliss. 

18. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83

Ditto. New to me!

19. glendoncaba profile image73
    glendoncabaposted 12 years ago

I finally read the entire thread.

Now to investigate the program some more.

What a lot of self righteous indignation over a business model.  Writers and their emotions!!!

Let me confess up front that I am going to study the topics and style of Will Apse because he was giving good advice some pages back to a fine old fella who was in no mood for any sympathy.  Writers and their emotions!!!

Conspiracy theorist that I am, I suggest that there are forum posters who are paid to stir the pot in order to attract interest.

Jump right in Glendon!  lol  I can assure you there is no need for "pot stirrers"!  HP staff accomplishes this aspect with no help from mere members.  Of course, they don't do it on purpose, they simply think no one will notice.  And in their defense, not many do.  yikes

Don't know about pot stirrers, but pot stickers are yummy.

With the exception of one or two (who didn't particularly stir any pot, by the way), I'd be really surprised if any of the familiar names on this thread are being paid to stir the pot.  (I could be wrong, of course.  One never knows what goes on behind the scenes, but most of the people on this thread are pretty much "old, familiar" Hubbers (with a couple of fairly new but pretty familiar ones)..

Speaking only for myself, I can tell you nobody paid me; and that anything I posted was neither emotion nor self-righteous indignation - just offering another side of a discussion.   I'm assuming, though, you may mean some of what went on more at the beginning of the thread...    Oh well...   I've said enough on this thread.  Moving on.

20. Charles James profile image67

H. H. Munro "Saki" wrote a short story about a young man who earned a living by organising week long house parties. One of the regular guests was a woman who said the most appalling and insulting things and enraged absolutely everyone. It turned out she was paid to be there to be the lightning rod for everyone's anger. The women united to be cross with her rather than falling out among themselves as would otherwise happen.

Does HP have the wit to employ a paid "stirrer"?  That would liven up the Forums.

Or maybe HP would prefer us to write Hubs? In which case they need a calmer and soother.

Ha! If anything, HP would perhaps pay me to shut the hell up instead of stirring the pot!  lol  They have no need for such as they create more controversy all by themselves.  I often wonder if they actually discuss among themselves some of the things they spring upon us?  I really cannot decide if it is good or bad if they do!  lol

Randy

The consensus among those who know you and your work and have commented on this thread is that you are extremely talented, very knowledgeable, and good company even if you do get cross at people who seem less intelligent than you, like some HP staff.

HP should ask you to invent and judge some competitions. They might even pay you for that.

HP should use your talents and strengths.  (Hope you are reading this, guys!)

I certainly appreciate your comments, CJ!  I do try to be as honest as I can about this place, but I do realize this is not always appreciated or understood by some writers here.  I really do not want to cause trouble here and want HP and its writers to do well, but I've never been prone to simply ignoring wrongs just because I may have to worry about repercussions from TPTB.

I suppose being self employed for the majority of my life may have some bearing on my demeanor, such as not having to take very much cr*p.  And I nominate you for head of HP, CJ!  yikes

Hey Randy

I have also been my own boss most of my life. I do not have much patience for taurine excreta or taurine excreta suppliers either.

Running HP is an interesting offer but I think there is someone already in that job.

Maybe HP should set up a Beta panel of people who (a) have actually run a business and (b) write on HP. You, me, James Watkins, Wayne Brown. I am sure there are others. We could have a private discussion board with Paul. If we came up with a few good ideas it would be well worth his time.

The critics on HP actually care about HP, and HP should cherish its critics.

I seriously doubt HP would even consider such a discussion, CJ.  I really don't see the member's satisfaction with how things are done here to be very high on the list versus money making opportunities for the company.  And after all, money is their primary objective.  You, I, or any other writer here, is very expendable. Many more anxious writers are waiting in line to replace us without HP missing a step.

Public Relations--or in this case--Writer Relations, is virtually non-existent here.  We end up talking to some member of staff whose real job is doing something else, not dealing with writers as real people.  I believe this is why there have been so many misunderstandings among the writers and staff.  Take the new format thread for example.  Very little response on a topic many writers here are very concerned about.  I liken it to standing in the only checkout line open in WalMart on Christmas Eve.  (shudder)  lol

2. habee profile image93

I love Saki's short stories! My faves are "The Interlopers" and "The Open Window."

21. SandyMcCollum profile image64
    SandyMcCollumposted 12 years ago

Ditto what Charles said. smile

I do appreciate your sentiments, Sandy. smile

22. Charles James profile image67

Candid friends rather than "critics".

23. glendoncaba profile image73
    glendoncabaposted 12 years ago

I sincerely believe that HP needs several more programmes like this to bring back the quality. 

I wonder if Google will treat us kinder in the renaissance and reformation of HP. 

Like any market the HP cycle is now going through a "correction" phase so the owners are intentionally choosing a quality path.  Unfortunately, as is the case with so many business leaders, they are weak on PR.  But the forum provides a great feedback for the communication process.

Not for us, it doesn't!  lol

1. glendoncaba profile image73
        glendoncabaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A great feedback for the owners of the site.  What they do with the feedback ... well...

EDIT:  To be honest, I'm not one of the primarily SEO hubbers who rake in the money so I am not the best person to weigh in on this, but whereas HP could do more, they have not been totally negligent. 

I have been disappointed with how they allowed the spam type articles to roll in but let's give them credit for the measures they are putting in place to increase quality.  Trust that Google and company will notice, and send us the traffic.

HP is an American company, after all, and Americans are known for being primarily concerned about the dollar sign so long as they cover the legalese.

24. leros003 profile image59
    leros003posted 12 years ago

I got approached about the program and am a part of it right now!

It is definitely amazing! They pay you to write and you'll get feedback.  So nice!

Great!  You've certainly earned your shot over those who've worked hard for years here!  I would suggest veteran hubbers be just as loyal to HP as HP is to them.  I know I am!  lol  Anyone else smell that stench?  tongue

1. IzzyM profile image87

Just saw the HP tweet - the new program is also open to people who have not yet joined HP, so guess folk like me and you will never be offered it:(

I certainly hope they do not invite me, Izzy!  Then I'll be tempted to tell them how I really feel! lol

1. leros003 profile image59
            leros003posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm definitely proud to be in it.  I think the reason I got an invite is because I'm new ish and contact them about being a hubscriber or part of the hubpages welcoming committee..

You mean a "Greeter"?  lol  Yes, that probably did it!lol 

25. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 12 years ago

There was some well founded belief that HP could/would become NM/MLM for writing, with such elements as affiliate program, Hub Camp, Video/Audio Articles.
    Hub Pages has literally and literally changed the face of online literature/publishing, forever.

It is profoundly novel for this particular platform of business. One that is genuinely untouchable, given the nature of content protection, flexibility and journeyman/apprenticeship opportunities for new writers, blended with very high-end Ad revenue programs.

Next step is internal eCom...
    Then (possibly) the 3rd largest IPO in tech history.
    I really think HP can out do LinkedIn any day.

The down side, I can't earn a red cent cause the google god rejected me. But, I gotta chuck of cash set aside for the stock. big_smile

James.

26. ThunderKeys profile image63
    ThunderKeysposted 11 years ago

I applied for the program last Friday, but didn't get a response either way. I hope I didn't delete the response from my expansive spam folder.

I'm a content expert in professional counseling and organizational change management etc, but I need to learn so much more about SEO and Keyword Research.

I sure hope to hear from HP staff either way.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)