the costs of government run health care

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (34 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 12 years ago

Has the current Administration has thought through their threats to force religious healthcare providers to offer insurance that covers all services, even if those services run contrary to religious beliefs. For example, if Catholic bishops decide to close charitable operations rather than compromise their beliefs, the impact would be greatest on those most in need:

The loss of $100 billion in healthcare costs now covered by church hospitals
        The loss of one-seventh of all U.S. hospital beds, about 120,000 existing beds
        The loss of more than 400 health center s and 1,500 specialized homes
        The loss of more than 500,000 jobs

Government-run health care might win, but many of these facilities provide care to the poor, especially the urban poor, and those in rural areas who have limited healthcare options.

This is one more way governmentrun health Care is a disaster for an already fragile economy and an over-burdened healthcare system!

2. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I wouldn't give up hope smile we are always evolving, or least try tongue to make improvements or find alternatives. Nothing is in stone. wink

3. John Holden profile image60
    John Holdenposted 12 years ago

But is it fair that people, especially the poor, should have their health care restricted by the beliefs of others?
    I mean, what if Jehovah's Witnesses provided health care, but no blood transfusions? Bit tough on you if your only health providers were JWs but you weren't.

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 12 years ago

I can see this being a problem if there was only ONE provider in the area with these type of 'policies' but it's not the case. People do have choices to get service.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are mistaken, Dame Scribe.  I live near Boise, Idaho, where there are three hospitals.  St. Lukes, St. Alphonsus and the VA hospital (limited to veterans).  Those two hospitals have spread out to the entire area here with clinics, other hospitals and health care centers.  Both are not-for-profit arrangements - want to bet they are not religion based?

This leaves Boise (pop. 250,000) as well as the entire valley (pop. 600,000) with no other alternative for hundreds of miles for major medical care.  Should these two hospitals decide to limit their care to that approved of by their particular religion there are an awful lot of people that, practically speaking, have no other choice than to do without what they might want or need.

5. profile image56
    Julieannes Worldposted 12 years ago

John,
    Who's having their health care restricted?  If the poor that you talk about can't get what they need from a catholic health care provider, no one is stopping them from going somewhere else for their care.

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well then what's the problem with Catholic's no longer providing health care?

2. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is never pointed out or allowed in these discussions that if you go to an emergency room you WILL be treated regardless of your income or insurance status.
      That's the LAW.

1. mikelong profile image60
        mikelongposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Just wait for that bill in the mail, eh?

6. thisisoli profile image69
    thisisoliposted 12 years ago

I have no problem with religions creating hospitals that serve to help people on their own terms, people do have the choice to go to state run hospitals.  It's when religion starts interfering with state run medical care that I get annoyed.

1. lovemychris profile image77
      lovemychrisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Scott Walker signed a bill into law....no non-surgical abortions allowed anymore...(the day-after pill)
      Doctors will face a felony charge,and up to 3 years in jail.
      Doctors gave a letter to Walker claiming gvt was interfering in the doctor/patient relationship.

He signed it anyway. Also signed....not allowed to discuss contraception in health curriculum at schools.

let's see....allowing rape of females (vaginal probe), felony charges for prescribing a LEGAL pill, doctors and patients targeted by a terrorist organization (Operation Rescue).....and Religion claims THEIR rights are being taken away?

P-u-leeeeeeze! It is the other way around.
      Pay taxes, since you are guiding our lawmakers...and our tax money!!

1. janesix profile image60
        janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Dramatic much?

No--I'm scared to death for my kids.

Why?

My oldest daughter was raped. I was in the room with her when they did the rape kit. She was crying. It hurts, it hurts.....this after being raped.
              Thankfully, she did not get pregnant from the assault. But had she, I would have advised she have an abortion --that day if possible.

If religion that rules the Radical Right in gvt has its way....had my daughter been pregnant, she would be FORCED to carry that baby conceived in rape. To do what? Keep it, when  not ready--financially, or mentally?

Or FORCED to carry to term, and give it away?? How cruel can anything get?

And even if not raped...just an accidental pregnancy....why should anyone but she decide what to do with herself?

Also--I do not subscribe to any religion. I do not force my views on anyone....I do not stop anyone from practicing theirs. I would certainly not want Sharia-type laws to take hold in my country (again)...which is what these Repubs are to me.... They are the American Taliban, and I do not want them making laws for me and my family!

I  am sorry about your daughter. If they forced the rape kit on her, or didnt stop at her request, then you should be pressing criminal charges.

2. JSChams profile image61

LMC:

I am sorry to hear what happened. I have a young daughter and that speaks to my heart. I would not presume to tell you how to advise your child in a situation such as that.

However, that case is one of the exception and not the rule. You and I both know that such things as the morning after pill were not specifically designed for rape cases. They are a method of birth control for young ones engaging in recreational sex.

Why shouldn't young people engage in recreational sex and why shouldn't they be protected from the consequences?

1. JSChams profile image61

Whether they do that or not is their decision. Whether I have to pay for the consequences or not should be my decision.

3. profile image56
                Julieannes Worldposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm very sorry for the pain and suffering your daughter has had to endure.  No one should have to experience rape.  I hope they found the monster and he is in jail if he had not met his maker already.  I can understand your concern as a parent but no one would have made your daughter carry the baby to term and give it away if she ended up pregnant.  There are other hospitals and other clinics she could have gone to or her doctor could have perscribed the morning after pill.

As a member of the right, I resent being called "american taliban"  when it is not true.  If you want your point to be taken you need to stop calling people names and just stick to the facts.  Other then the tragedy that happened to your daughter none of what you stated is absolute fact, just your opinion.

2. Josak profile image61
          Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems pretty reasonable to me, anyone who thinks not teaching kids about contraception is a good thing is an idiot and the morning after pill should most certainly be legal (coming from someone who is on the fence about abortion)

7. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 12 years ago

Now here is the opinion of one of the left...in The Daily Kos.
    How many people agree???

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/1 … -parasite-

Except that she has her definition of parasite wrong, there isn't much to argue about.

2. Josak profile image61
      Josakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well... it's a sensitive issue but yeah I think her attitude is a bit... wrong, then again I am totally biased on this because I was an orphan who was almost aborted, but honestly, not my opinion and not I think the opinion of most leftists, however aren't you conservatives all about personal freedom and yet it's OK to tell someone what to do with their body? God forbid we might slightly raise your taxes to give people healthcare though...

1. kerryg profile image84
        kerrygposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Most liberals and progressives I know don't want to raise taxes, we want to stop spending our money blowing up other people's children and start spending it on taking better care of our own. The American health care system is the best in the world for the rich and those with good insurance, but for the rest, it's a disgrace.

8. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 12 years ago

the soul is eternal and evolves through living a life...to destroy the soul's chance to a life is not the answer. the answers are to love life at all stages of development and to prevent conception

It's difficult to prevent conception when you can't get reliable birth control.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

...and excuses for taking responsibility continue...

Using birth control when you don't want a kid (or another kid) is the definition of taking responsibility.

Oh--perfect answer!
            They never think we women can take care of things....always putting ugly motives to everything we do.

It is just like they did with the Vietnam Vets...screaming at us with Baby-Killer epitath...as if we just love having to make such a decision.

Bringing an unwanted baby here is the height of irresponsability.
            Particularly when we live in a culture that values embryos more than human beings.

JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

????????????????????????/

You don't thin an embryo is a human being?
              What is it LMC...a tire?

lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's a collection of cells and dna....left to grow, it becomes a human being. But it could fit on a petri dish and you could look at it squirm and wiggle...like plasma or slime.

It even goes through phases...first it's an amoeba, then a little fish, etc on up to human form.

But it can do nothing without a host, and without it--it simply stops.

Here is my suggestion to you....if you take it on as your business--have your wife volunteer to plant the embryo in her womb. Then you will be putting your money where your mouth is...as the saying goes.

Other wise...live your own life, another woman's decision is none of your bees-wax. Mmm--k?

JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wish I could find this hing I saw....

If scientists find cells on the moon or mars that's life. Cells that re en embryo isn't life.

Splain that Lucy.

Andd I caused to kids in my wife and she was all for it. There are some old fashioned folks still out here. i know you want us to die off but we haven't yet.

9. lovemychris profile image77
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

When you die--you will be the one to answer for your acts...just like me.

Therefore, what I do in my personal life is none of your business. You should have enough to worry about in your own journey.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)