In Despair !

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (43 posts)
  1. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

I have tried everything to increase my click rate but am stuck at a lousy .5 percent and no matter what I have tried, adding pics, videos, changing the capsules, layout it remains the same.

Yes I know you will say you need to increase the traffic, the thing is the traffic has increased weekly but still the ctr is still totally rubbish. I need help, answers on a postcard please !

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is also subject matter. I am only guessing here, but I would think some of your hubs - the funny video one for example, may attract decent traffic, but are unlikely to produce any clicks, whereas your hubs with commercial stuff on will.

But the high traffic, low click ones will bring your average down.

1. profile image50
        badcompany99posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spot on the money, the funny videos one is the second highest.

If your goal is to make money, I suggest dropping the low paying subjects like funny videos - because that is going to drop your average quite drastically. Write about boring, high paying subjects like investing in property. big_smile

You are obviously a talented, funny writer, (much like myself ahem), and if you can combine humor with some well paying subjects you should do OK.

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85
      Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I haven't read all of the responses yet, but I wanted to share something that I'm doing. This is new to me (but Mark will probably step up and say something like "I could have told you that." Oh, well).

I am paying attention to the CTR of individual hubs.

You and I haven't been here all that long, which means that we're still treading water a little bit. I know that both of us came to HubPages with a very limited knowledge of how to work the system. If you're like me, you're doing a combination of asking for help, experimenting, and trying to figure things out on your own (guessing).

Look at your individual CTR. If you don't have Analytics yet, get it. Hook it into Adsense and pay very close attention to your individual hubs. Which ones are getting the most traffic? What is your CTR on those hubs? What about your eCPM?

I am in the process right now of improving keywords for some of my lower-performing hubs as well as adding more affiliate marketing to them (more Amazon and Ebay). I haven't done anything in either of the affiliates so far, but I trust it will come eventually. I am also planning on deleting some of my worst performing hubs: they serve no purpose as I'm here to make money.

Remember when you first came here, talking about how much patience was required in order to get the most out of this? I agreed with you then, but after two months I have to say that persistence, more than patience, is what is necessary. You've got to approach this with an open mind and be willing to adjust your strategy. I've moved some of my eggs into other baskets, and it's working for me, helping to increase my confidence and other things.

You can make this work for you, too! Read hubs about hubbing if you have to (MarkKnowles has a couple of good ones as does Chuck... They are the only two I can really recommend in that area right now except maybe for mine about gaining traffic lol

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I took a look at a couple of your latest hubs, and I would say you need to work on layout - providing you are getting at least some traffic. smile

1. profile image50

In what way Misha, what layout would you suggest ?

1. Misha profile image62
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL I can't do your homework for you smile Go take a look at some of my hubs and try to see where my layout is different from yours, and try to figure out why smile A useful mental exercise you know, like teaching a man to fish wink

1. profile image50

Jeeeez off I go with my damn rod smile

1. Misha profile image62

Good smile One hint, so you concentrate your effort where it matters most - look above the fold, don't bother scrolling down smile

1. embitca profile image82
              embitcaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I just took a look at your Mario Kart hub *head explodes* Geez. I'm gonna try that lay-out on a few of my hubs LOL

1. Misha profile image62

LOL Em, you realize it is Ebay layout and Adsense layout would be different. I am pretty sure you do, just want to double check smile

1. embitca profile image82
                  embitcaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, I do. Heh. smile

2. Everyday Miracles profile image85

Awesome hint there, Misha! I knew about that but hadn't been thinking about it! Good thing I'm in "editing" mode right now! I will get some edits done above the fold thanks to your reminder! Thanks!

1. profile image50

Just added the new Click Trace to my adsense and jeez it's deff going to change what I write about. I can now target topics that get good clicks and build on that. Nice to see you about again my friend, missed seeing you about !

3. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

This hub set, writen by Hal Linico, might be of use to you.  http://hubpages.com/hub/Mining-AOL-Gold … 2---Part-I

1. profile image50

Cheers my friend !

4. profile image50
    badcompany99posted 14 years ago

Cheers Mark, that's helped and will now do just that. At least now I realise why the ctr is low I can do something to reverse it. "Investing in Property " written in humor, jeeez even I ain't that good smile

No - me either, but this is my best paying hub:

http://hubpages.com/hub/Five-Best-iPhon … h-headsets

Read it and you will see what I mean. I make at least $200 a month from that hub.

1. ripplemaker profile image77
        ripplemakerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Wow!  Can you write Investing in Property in inspirational form? LOL lol lol  I'm going crazy now.. I need some sleep.

2. profile image50

Jeeeez $200 a month from one hub, deff going to change my methods, just call me Grasshopper from now on Master smile

5. RooBee profile image83
    RooBeeposted 14 years ago

As a right noob, I have no helpful input but couldn't resist interjecting to try & ease the despair just a bit~
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-char025.gif have a pancake, eh?

And Mark, I bow to you o wise one. Seriously! This is great. Proof that if you are flawless, smart, clever, and prolific you can be successful. Crap! I may be screwed. smile

1. profile image50

Always glad of a RooBee interjection, always eases my despair for sure smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58

Aw shucks....... big_smile

3. blondepoet profile image67
      blondepoetposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well then I am about as screwed as it gets

6. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

Mark's example is a really good example of affiliate placement. I think I have the perfect Adsense placement nailed http://hubpages.com/hub/Adsense-Placement I don't claim to be witty or as funny as either your or Mark - but long-winded - that I can do and its starting to pay me for Adsense. The other side of adsense is the cost per click: I own "vacation packing tips" - my hub is usually #1 -not don't bother copying it - at 5c click its a waste of space really. Now if I had the same number of clicks with a $5 click I would be a very happy bunny. Yes you can get $5 clicks plus - my current record is $4.60. Unfortunately the topics that make that sort of money make property investing exciting - well suppose someone could find insurance/credit cards and finance exciting I dont - but I find the clicks absolutely riveting

1. profile image50

Cheers Lissie will check it out, clicks never fail to amaze me as I got one yesterday for $1.74 now if you got loads of those it would be great.

7. HealthCare Basics profile image60
    HealthCare Basicsposted 14 years ago

So, making any money from Hubpages comes from ad purchases on your hubs? View volume plays only a small part?

8. Lissie profile image74
    Lissieposted 14 years ago

HCB we don't buy ads on hubpages - other people buy ads - we are the publishing side of the equation

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

HCB, I think Lissie misunderstood you a little.  Money we earn on HubPages DOES come from ads and purchases made on our Hubs, as clicked-upon/done by the reader/viewers.

Badcompany, entertainment certainly is entertaining, but at that point, you've satisfied your visitor so they don't really need to do anymore.  Why do you think all those crap photo galleries get so much traffic but all their authors wonder why they aren't even making a dime?

Part of what I talk about on my boosting your earnings hub is how you need to write about things that facilitate and encourage some sort of retail response.  I tend to do rather well myself on my "how to" type hubs.

1. profile image50

Fair point and will deff check the link out and take the advice on board. One thing I have realised is with the right amount of adjusting and changing one can make a few dollars on here. And as you say satisfying a visitor is not always a good idea, well not if you want them to click on an ad on the way out. Cheers Relache !

2. Lissie profile image74
      Lissieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sorry HCB I was reading too fast again- nice hub relache

10. SweetiePie profile image81
    SweetiePieposted 14 years ago

Hi Badcompany,

Try answering some of the requests from the premium idea bank, which often are hubs that can do well.

1. profile image50

That is actually true, tis where I got the Guardian Angel hub, smart thinking Batman smile

1. SweetiePie profile image81
        SweetiePieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always enjoy your movie hubs by the way smile.  Also, you never know when someone might buy a movie via an ebay or amazon capsule, so do not give up yet smile.

1. profile image50

Cheers SP and deff won't give up as I did that twice on websites I had set up. I will take aboard the advice given and work on it, maybe do a top 10 movies one of these weeks.

11. Everyday Miracles profile image85
    Everyday Miraclesposted 14 years ago

I've been around, just avoiding the distractions wink

1. profile image50

So you are lurking in the midst of the world wide web smile

1. Everyday Miracles profile image85

I'm writing and editing behind the scenes and avoiding forums that keep me from working wink Also spending time with the family!

12. Philuc profile image42
    Philucposted 14 years ago

badcompany99,
    You have some pretty good responses above.  Now I am definitely totally new at HubPages (here since yesterday), and I have only 40 odd page views, so I am totally inexperienced in this.

I looked at one of your hubs and at it has great adsense potential as long as you get the clicks.
    My hub views are all coming from the hub community and I would think that people here, unless they are actually searching for a solution to a specific problem, won't be clicking away (and they shouldn't).

Maybe you should look at where your visitors are coming from - and there is only so much tweaking you can do (diminishing returns and all that) so perhaps you should focus for a while on hub promotion? 
    My 2 cents.

1. profile image50

75 percent from outside hubs, I just need to focus now on a few good topics, I think that was my mistake before, cheers for your input, much appreciated.

13. S06FH5N1 profile image61
    S06FH5N1posted 14 years ago

Okay, I did not make it all through to the end, but I think what Mark said about the right topic, what relache said about the right style and what Misha said about the right format are pretty much the basics, which you can't do without. I don't know bout the technical side, but if I were you I'd analyze those links they kindly provided. smile

1. profile image50

I have smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)