Should all politicians be required to take a lie detector test?

Jump to Last Post 1-31 of 31 discussions (77 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

With all of the political hidden agenda, we never truly know what politicians have our best interest in mind. Should all politicians be required to take lie detector tests before and during office?

1. RKHenry profile image64
      RKHenryposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well I don't know- would YOU be willing to except the outcome of what YOUR congressman is doing?  Would you be willing to not vote for them again?  Would YOU except the verdict or would YOU make accusations that the lie detector was wrong? 

When it is all said and done- that would be the dilemma at the end of the day.  I don't think most Americans would be willing to except those terms. Look at W.  He is proof that the purpose of a lie detector,(in the political arena) would be worthless. Look at Clinton for that matter.

It would just be a big waste of money and would serve no purpose whatsoever.   

(YOU is generalized)

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, you are saying to let them keep lying so no ones feelings would get hurt?

No that is not what I'm saying.  And that is not what I said at all.  I didn't mention hurting anyones feelings.  I made no mention of trying to keep them from lying. I think I might have mentioned an undertone basis of acceptance.  But feelings- no.  Are you sure you're addressing my comment and not YOUR OWN personal view? I think you must be talking about YOUR own personal views.  And I gather that you think they should take lie detector tests because you never know when they just might leave you scorned.  I see.  Interesting.  Childish.  But interesting.

LOL You are quite the hypocrite. You point the finger at me for making assumptions for what you said, then you do the same thing to me. Nice assumptions.

You are pretty much saying exactly as I said. You don't think we should do a lie detector test because someones feelings will get hurt. You are simply saying it in less confrontational terms.

NO that is not what I'm saying for the third time.

I could give a rats shit about someone's feelings.  As for your personal attacks and name calling in my direction- I can see that you are not a worthy person to be debating with.  Hypocrite?  Don't think so.  And after everybody else has read the flow of this thread, I'm quite sure you'll just be left looking like an ignorant ass, who can't comprehend what they've just read.  so lololololololol back at ya.

I'm quite sure you'll just be left looking like an ignorant ass

So, you aren't a hypocrite?

Can't leave well enough alone now can you?  Move on. 

Sorry folks what was the question?

2. marinealways24 profile image60

Your previous comment truly shows your arrogance and lack of intelligence. Your ego is on full display. Those with egos are those without intelligence. When you understand this, you will learn.

Dude, I'm tired of trying to move pass your ass.  Now get over yourself.  People don't like you enough yet to warrant your attempt to create a sideshow.  So I suggest you back off little one, cool down and talk your doggie to the park.  But you and me; well there ain't a you and me side show anymore.  And the next time, I'll flag your ass.

Truly entertaining.

2. lxxy profile image58
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

No.

Lie detector tests can be fooled, one way or another. And besides that, if you don't believe a politician to begin with, what's going to change your mind?

You're just going to add more fodder.

I think you are giving politicians too much credit. You think Pelosi could pass a lie detector test? She couldn't pass a press interview.

1. lxxy profile image58
        lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HAHA! Nope, just like Gibby. My whole point is, however, that the methodology used by lie detectors alone is uncertain at best.

I watched something crazy on a new lie detector test. It was kinda like a cat-scan. It checked whether the person was lying or not by reading the brain patterns. I believe it was pretty reliable, however I think it's still being developed.

3. My Inner Jew profile image62
    My Inner Jewposted 14 years ago

Hahaha...they would all fail!

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

You don't need a lie detector, just watch them, and if their mouth moves, you know they're lying!

1. lxxy profile image58
      lxxyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha!

5. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

It does not really matter, "needed" people will pass anyway smile

Can't argue with you on that.

6. profile image49
    Kellysmith38posted 14 years ago

Yes! A lie detector and maybe even a potent truth serum.

7. lxxy profile image58
    lxxyposted 14 years ago

Yes, this type of technology is well under way. You also have the "hold out your hands, Fauker," method.

Actually, you're getting close to having the ability to control computers through your thoughts alone...I'll have to hub about that at some point.

We already have the ability to control computers through our mind. I refer to this as influence.

8. curiozities profile image60
    curiozitiesposted 14 years ago

I would watch out for the politician who actually passes a lie detector test because what that tells you is that he/she is a very good liar.

Good point.  But you know they all lie. 

Everybody lies.  It is human nature to lie and cover up our ass before it gets us into trouble.  Everybody has lied at least once in their life.

1. curiozities profile image60
        curiozitiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

All politicians lie.  That's a given. 

But some of them are so good at it people have a hard time telling if they're lying or not.  In order for someone to be that good of a liar, they actually need to believe the lie they're telling is true.  Anyone who can do that and be in a position of power is extremely scary.

Then I imagine your whole world is scary.  For me- not so much. If I would've been Clinton, I'd lie too. That chic was ugly.

Well, I will say that of our last three presidents the one who seemed the least uncomfortable lying was Clinton.  But not all the time.  There were times when you could see him squirm. 

The ones who scare me are Kim Jong Il and Ahmadinejad, both of whom seem to lie with a straight face. 

As far as Monica, I thought she was okay.  Not necessarily ugly, but I probably wouldn't have given her a second look on the street.  The thing with Clinton is he's a Southern boy and Southern boys generally like their women to have some meat on their bones, so to speak. smile

2. profile image0
            Leta Sposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL Well, the whole thing with that, is OK--he lied about an affair.  A freakin' affair.  Who wouldn't?  And it wasn't like she was underage, either.  That Star and the Republicans turned THAT into impeachment proceedings is hilarious to anyone with sense.  Which is why--when the Republicans are oooh so astounded why his female constituency still supported him after the fact--they just show a serious break with reality once again.  Because obviously 'abuses of power,' can be broken into levels of 'thou shalt nots,' as they have been in the entire history of human ethics.  Women (who do have brains) know that. And were always more interested in what Clinton could do as far as their interests rather than the problems in the Clintons' marriage.

And Clinton himself is no treat to look at, wink  Billy Bob.  Bllleeh.  He gives excellent speeches though--I've seen him speak 3 times.

9. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I saw Bill Clinton on the late show just as Obama was about to be elected. He made a lot of sense.

1. profile image0

He always did.  Very bright man, too--just more of a corn ball, wink (hey, that's OK) and a traditional politician.

1. countrywomen profile image60
        countrywomenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Lita- I don't know what corn ball means (maybe I also belong to that ESL category)..LOL

PS: I checked this link(and found 7 meanings which one is appropriate/relevant) http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p … orn%20ball

1. profile image0

It just means kind of a 'goof.'  He gets hoakie, ie., a la Primary Colors, if you have ever read the book/seen the movie.

I am afraid I maybe very ignorant with so many popular movies/books yet to be seen/read. I guess I will have to work harder to be a part of this "American Dream" wink

10. cashmere profile image76
    cashmereposted 14 years ago

most of them lie all the time, so it would be a waste of funds.

What is the reward for being peaceful and truthful in this world? Does the world reward those who are honest, truthful and hard working? Are we ready to accept the truth and nothing but the truth no matter what. One of the rarest success stories could be  Gandhi's truth/non violent approach which worked on the mighty British Empire but Tibetan monks similar approach is met with greater disdain. So does the same method work all the time. Or maybe it is  sometimes just convenient not to mess with the powerful even if we don't agree with there methods. Or maybe it could be that to be at the top one may have to employ some relatively dishonest means. And sometimes it could be relative too where some tend to accept the means if the ends are justified.

I guess my question would be simple: Are we ready to accept the truth and work towards strengthening the cause of truth? smile

11. soni2006 profile image75
    soni2006posted 14 years ago

Should all politicians be required to take a lie detector test?

yes indeed.

12. profile image0
    Béla Mongyiposted 14 years ago

No I think it's the other way round. Lie detectors should be tested on politicians. If they indicate they're lying then they are accurate.

13. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

Back to the basics.

My answer is without a doubt- no.

1. profile image0

Obviously.  Point of fact:  Lie detector tests do not work a great percentage of the time, anyway.

14. andromida profile image54
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Its a very good idea.But I heard even a lie detector can be deceived.

If a new lie detector is formed that is 100%, would you agree or disagree?

15. profile image0
    Béla Mongyiposted 14 years ago

ok. just published a hub on this
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Talk-like-Politicians-Do

16. ledefensetech profile image68
    ledefensetechposted 14 years ago

Lie detector tests can be tricked.  They use a series of baseline questions to set a baseline reading.  The thought is that if you react to a question with something other than a baseline reading, you're lying.  Study after study proves that lie detector tests are misleading and wrong.  Yet they're still used because most people are ignorant of this fact and take it as given that just because it says lie detector test, it must detect lies.  Why do you think that those results are inadmissible in court.

Now Functional MRI is a bit different.  Apparently different parts of the brain light up when you're telling the truth and when you're making something up.  An FMRI can pick up on this, but don't expect them to be used anytime soon.  I mean, who really wants a functional lie detector test?  Gasp.  People might actually have to be honest in what they say and do.  Society would collapse overnight.

17. marinealways24 profile image60
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Hello ledefensetech,

Now Functional MRI is a bit different.  Apparently different parts of the brain light up when you're telling the truth and when you're making something up.  An FMRI can pick up on this, but don't expect them to be used anytime soon.  I mean, who really wants a functional lie detector test?  Gasp.  People might actually have to be honest in what they say and do.  Society would collapse overnight.

The FMRI is what I was referring to in an earlier post. Do you think politicians should constantly keep getting away with lies to push their personal agenda?

Thank You for responding. Very Informational.

18. Laughing Mom profile image60
    Laughing Momposted 14 years ago

Wait a minute, marine.  I thought one of the pre-qualifiers for being a politician was that everytime they speak, they DO lie!  Here all along, I thought they were successful at their job descriptions.  This sheds a whole new light on things.....

Lol , Thanks for that.

19. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

If they did, they'd pass it anyway. 

Remember the first time this statement was made.  "I did not have sexual relations with that woman"!
    He said it with a straight face and if there was a lie detector machine around at that moment, he'd have passed it.

How about a lie detector that is 100% ?

1. Laughing Mom profile image60
        Laughing Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is there such a thing?

The Functional MRI that ledefensetech mentioned is a new type of lie detector. I am not sure of it's percentages, however I believe it looked pretty reliable on the study I watched.

20. ledefensetech profile image68

Then nobody would want the job and they'd have to find new ways to screw people out of their money.

Yeah, they'd all become used-car salespeople.

Or crack dealers or Bernard Madoffs.

21. ledefensetech profile image68

It's an MRI minus the big magnet thing they put you in.  It's kind of like a skullcap that does an MRI of your brain.  When they did tests on it, they found that a portion of the brain lights up when people access true memories while if you make up a story another part of the brain lights up.  The confidence when such a thing happens is pretty high although I don't have the numbers.  Popular Science did an article on it several years ago, so it's been around for a while.

1. Laughing Mom profile image60
      Laughing Momposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In some of my work with abused children, I've learned that people can actually "create" a memory.  It involves creating a scenario and intensely focusing on it until you actually believe it was a real occurance. 
      I'd be interested to know how that would work on the MRI skull cap thing.  Any ideas?

1. someonewhoknows profile image73
        someonewhoknowsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It seems to me that it wouldn't make any difference,the scan should be the same,but it would be interesting to see scans of someone you describe getting scanned before and after being "conditioned" to believe something happened when it never did.That in itself would be cause for concern about the absolute infallibility of the technology to prove someone is lying or just believes what they "think" is the truth

2. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure it would.  I think they used it to verify a "recovered" memory and found that they person was lying when they told about abuse in the past.  It's been a while and I might be misremembering.  It would be a boon to people who work with those kids.  At the facility I used to work at there was no shortage of kids who would make allegations against staff who made them mad.

I'd like to read some data on that.  Know where I can look?

22. ledefensetech profile image68

There might be something in the archives or Popular Science.  I think it was an issue in 2005 or 2006.  I remember thinking that it was a great advancement, but it would be a cold day in hell before anyone in authority let it be used on them.

I agree.  But I find that it is an interesting discovery.  Maybe you could write a hub about it.  I bet it would get a lot of traffic.

23. ledefensetech profile image68

Interesting thought, it might be useful in finding more about the he said she said situations that make law enforcement such a joy to work.

I would also read the hub if you created one on the MRI machine. I am very curious of it's percentages.

24. Research Analyst profile image72
    Research Analystposted 14 years ago

yes!

25. ledefensetech profile image68

Actually I think used car dealers would be out of business too.  Would you go see one if you didn't have a handy dandy FMRI?

Hell, we can run them through the "scanners" too. Lol Lying is one of our society's biggest downfalls in my belief. No one can be trusted anymore. Seems as if most people only care of themselves in my experiences.

2. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Some late model cars have very good lie detectors built in. The on board computer keeps a record of most service details, and can be talked in to spilling it's guts about all sorts of history, even down to panel repair and replacement!

26. VENUGOPAL SIVAGNA profile image60
    VENUGOPAL SIVAGNAposted 14 years ago

Why single out politicians for lie detector test? Are there no other liars in other places? Generally liars wreck havoc in opponents' circle. So, any one lying, should be sent for lie detection.

27. ledefensetech profile image68

All joking aside I'm not sure it would work.  Despite what some people believe, honesty is a moral issue.  Only by instilling morals in people and agreeing on what morality is can we learn to live with one another in peace and not give each other excuses to cut each others throats.

If we did allow FMRI to be used whenever we want to test for truth, we'll that might have the effect of increasing lying.  For all we know there might be a way to spoof the thing.

I know there is nothing guaranteed yet. I am speaking in theory, If we had something that was 100%.

28. ledefensetech profile image68

I'm more concerned with what is known as moral hazard.  If we have this machine that detects lies, how will people react to it and will they teach basic manners to their children?  It's like bailing out a company for instance.  If you know for a fact that no matter how badly you run your business that you'll get bailed out, what incentive will you have to run a business successfully?  If you know without a doubt that you have a machine that can tell if someone is lying, how do you build trust and keep your word.  Trust after all is the necessary ingredient for people to get along in society.

29. johnb0127 profile image61
    johnb0127posted 14 years ago

No, because after the first one, it would break smile

30. scheinandras profile image59
    scheinandrasposted 14 years ago

I would test all of them continuosly. They would be on the maschine 24/7smile

31. RKHenry profile image64
    RKHenryposted 14 years ago

There is also the possibility that there wouldn't be anyone left to run the country, if lie detectors were set in motion.  Who hasn't told a lie?  Let us a least be real about that.

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's something I can agree with smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)