Who do you save from death: either a homeless man or a puppy?

Jump to Last Post 1-33 of 33 discussions (83 posts)
  1. ekstrom002 profile image58
    ekstrom002posted 12 years ago

Before you a puppy and a homeless man are dying from a poison they both unknowingly consumed. You have an antidote, but only enough to save one of them. Who do you save? How do you justify your choice?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would save the old dosser.

Some here would no doubt save the puppy, but whether or not they will admit to it is another story.

ekstrom002posted 12 years agoin reply to this

You would be surprised how many people will choose the puppy! Human life is devalued these days. Thanks for the input

2. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I might leave the choice up to the homeless man.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
        Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Me too

2. ekstrom002 profile image58

Interesting angel, way to think outside of the box!

3. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I will try to save both. I will divide the antidote into two and apply what I know about first aid while calling 911 . I will decide whether I will drive the puppy to the nearest vet or just wait for the 911 call whichever is the fastest way.

A lot of people want to save both, and I understand where you are coming from. In this circumstance there is absolutely no way to save both, though. It's one or the other

4. Karen N profile image69
      Karen Nposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To me all life is important, but you just can't value the life of an animal over that of a human. So I would of course save the man.

Very true Karen, thanks for the input

5. A Troubled Man profile image58
      A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A loaded question.

Perhaps, if we rely on evolution for the answer, we most likely would save one of our own species.

And, if it were known to the authorities we saved the puppy and not the man, there could very well be legal and criminal repercussions.

Good response a troubled man, that's very true. Mankind, as a species, sometimes can be each others worst enemy. It is as if we are devolving

6. profile image53
      oldog57posted 12 years agoin reply to this

This question is really rhetorical, in that few people really value the life of a puppy over the live of a person. I think you'r just fishing for reactions, so here's mine: WE (humans) are masters of the earth. All the natural resources of the planet, including all the other animals, are here only to serve, clothe, feed, or entertain us, in any way we as humans deem necessary, proper, and appropriate. Case closed, the puppy dies.

1. profile image0
        klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Have you not seen the following movies - The Birds, Jaws, Anaconda, Moby Dick, Orca, Them!, King Kong, and Cujo? You still want to call yourself "master of the earth?"

1. profile image53
          oldog57posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Absolutely. If a thug gets the better of me, and steals my wallet dos that make hime my master? it only makes him a thug. Wild animals ARE "mastered" by humans every day. But no, I would not feel terribly superior to a great white while I was treading water in his deep blue sea, but there is no doubt which species is superior.

2. Eric Newland profile image62
          Eric Newlandposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I would be feeling pretty humbled if those movies were non-fictional.

1. profile image0
            klarawieckposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I hear Hitchcock was the pioneer of Reality TV. Shame he didn't meet the Kardashians! Imagine the possibilities!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
              Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hitchcock wouldn't put up with the Kardasians...

Great input oldog thank you

2. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I'm not sure how many honest answers you'll get with this question.

3. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

Obviously I would want to save both.  I'd give the antidote to the puppy and call 911 for the guy.  The puppy can't save himself and the poison would probably kill the smaller puppy more quickly it would a fully grown adult male.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I guess someone would ask a question like this.

Why do people constantly pit animals vs humans? I'll tell you why because animals appear to closer to humans in consciousness than anything else in existence.

People love to examine other people's moral compass. It is intriguing to constantly see people test other people. The irony is that the person who started asking questions like this, is likely to have no clue about their own moral compass to begin.

Having said that, I liked Distrubia's answer. For me to agree completely with her answer, I would need more information than what is presently known. But, her answer is the most rational based on the information already known.

The question wasn't to ask why the question was created.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, your question did ask why?

You asked people to JUSTIFY their choice.

2. HarperDavis profile image61
      HarperDavisposted 12 years agoin reply to this

As an eagle, I totally understand why your feathers are ruffled. Rock on eagle, rock on.

3. Lucky Cats profile image81
      Lucky Catsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Cagsil, in the past I have disagreed w/you vehemently but...and I am very happy and pleased to say this...I concur COMPLETELY.  Your answer and that of Disturbia are the intelligent and reasonable ones...it's funny; I just wrote my answer (below) and then scrolledl up to see others' replies and immediately saw yours.  Thank you for the logical and sane reasoning as well as pointing out the nature of questions such as this one.  Kathy

Yes Lucky Cats, we have disagreed in the past. Nice see you though. Been a while. smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 12 years ago

Give the antidote to the puppy. Feed the puppy to the homeless man.

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You are one twisted puppy yourself ( lol ) but very creative answer.

1. Disturbia profile image60
        Disturbiaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I like that answer, but I'd rather give the antidote to the man and feed him to the puppy.

6. ekstrom002 profile image58

It is not possible to save both, it's one or the other. Everyone wants to, obviously. But that is not the question a hand.

1. Lucky Cats profile image81

which makes this a question meant to cause derisive and hateful comments; not honest, thoughtful and heartfelt discourse.  Really unnecessasry.

No not at all, actually. It's a higher education question. It would appear as if you are not up to par with it. It's meant to make people think. That might be frustrating for some.

7. ekstrom002 profile image58

Exactly, justify why they feel which one is more deserving of life.

Puppies are more loyal then men.  That's my justification.  Besides, some day I just might have to eat that puppy myself.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
        Jesus was a hippyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

A puppy pitta with salad

8. Eric Newland profile image62
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Definitely the man. He's more important.

Plus if you save the puppy PETA will just come along and euthanize it anyway.

9. Lucky Cats profile image81
    Lucky Catsposted 12 years ago

I think this is an unnecessary and harmful question which stirs questions about human nature offering an "either - or" solution rather than endless, and probable, possibilities.  Who knows what would happen until the actual moment?  And, it really isn't necessary to pit humans against animals; animals against humans in today's world...we need unity, not divisive thoughts.  This is all relative and hypothetical and only serves to feed negativity. Sorry

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, lets pretend the world is only filled with flowers and rainbows, where moral dilemas dont exist.

Janesix, my point exactly. You couldn't be more right, some people can't deal with pressing issues and get frustrated by it. It's kind of sad

It's not sad. What is sad is the fact that people love to question other human individual moral perceptions. It's a fruitless question.

Perceptions are based on knowledge(including experience) and Wisdom(discerned truth). If anyone has their perception skewed by faulty knowledge or logic, then true rationale and truth will not exist. Since the person doesn't know their perception is skewed, then their own ego will then get in the way, preventing them from learning anything new.

They will have and hold the belief which they have feel true and since ego is in control, one will have trouble realizing that they are actually deceiving themselves.

This question is ridiculous in and of itself because there's a difference between "morality" on a societal stance than there's with a person's individual conscience. The Human Conscience is what you should live by and not what you think is morally acceptable.

When you're going to discuss morality of any kind, then you are discussing nothing more than a human made concept which is about one's own actions and how they are perceived.

if you can't handle the question, leave the form. Your contributions are not worth anything, if you are questioning the nature of asking the question itself. You are avoiding the answer to the actual question. If you do not have one, then good bye.

It's a public forum and I am a Member of HubPages. If you don't like, too bad.
              I'm not questioning the question itself. I am simply stating why the question was asked in the first place. I could dig deeper into it if you would like? However, since you seem to think that my knowledge(including experience) has no value in your conversation, then I guess you being reluctant to engage, means you're discussing something which you know nothing about.

So, in essence, you asked this question so you could learn more about yourself?

I answered your question, yet it seems to have escaped your perception. Hmmm.....yet another tell revealed.

10. Melissa A Smith profile image96
    Melissa A Smithposted 12 years ago

The responses to this are...rather strange. I'll lay it to you right now, the puppy doesn't "deserve" to live more than the homeless man, and viceversa. Humans however do have a social contract to help each other, the same way a pack of wolves or ant colony would help each other over a human. It's perfectly natural. What if the 'homeless man' was your daughter or best friend, how would you feel if someone saved the puppy before them or jeopardized them by trying to save both? Nothing against the puppy at all, but that's just how it is. How would these people feel if the animal was 'less cute' like a rat or a food cow? Then they'd have no issue at all. Does cute = deserving to live? Not for me. This is something I have an problem with. No wonder people get more upset when a 'beautiful' person dies. Some dogs contribute to our society however, but it's to be assumed this puppy hasn't. I'm also confused why the man has to be 'homeless' as if this is a reason he doesn't deserve to live.

11. ThoughtSandwiches profile image73
    ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years ago

Hmmm...too bad you didn't make the question easier, "Would you save  a millionaire or a puppy?"  I would vote puppy.  As for the actual question posed...I would vote puppy.  I just like puppies.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

So you wouldn't save me if I had a million dollars? No wonder I love people so much.

1. ThoughtSandwiches profile image73
        ThoughtSandwichesposted 12 years agoin reply to this

hi Melissa...I would need to stand by my statement.  If for no other reason  that a puppy wouldn't attempt to confront me with such a moral dilemma.  If it helps...I believe I did also say I would pick the puppy over the homeless guy...so...no anti-elitism here...more just pro-puppy.  That said, I will follow you on Hubpages as your profile is an interesting one. 

Thanks,

Thomas

12. ekstrom002 profile image58

For people like Lucky Cats, who feel that they need to be aggressive and that this question was meant to cause harm, it's not. A professor of psychology prompted me with this question. I think someone with a PHD has all the qualifications to show that this is not a question to cause fights. It is meant to see how many people devalue human life. Questioning human nature may be uncomfortable to some people, but if you cant deal with it don't post on the form. No one wants to hear why the question is so risque. You are waisting others time with your pointless comments.

13. Lucky Cats profile image81

Assumption:  how some people devalue life.  You're looking for particular responses based on this assumption.  Your question is biased..."it is meant to see how many people devalue human life."  It isn't uncomfortable...it's provocative .  Easily dealt with..I see your point, though.. If one doesn't necessarily agree with you, then you'll "disinvite" their contribution.  Excellent.  ..I rest my case. case closed..I would offer you the same advice; if you can't take an alternative view/opinion; don't place yourself in the midst of others who will, definitely, offer opposing views .   t's human nature.  PS...holding a PHD holds no water if you're using that as evidence of validity.

14. Lucky Cats profile image81

wasting......

15. Lucky Cats profile image81

Oh, for heaven's sake..."educational?"  Really?  According to whom and to what purpose?  How many time sin the past have we read/heard the question:  "if a child were drowning and a puppy was drowning, also...which.....?"  tired.  Again, with the personal attacks rather than discussion...tired!

according to who*

16. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 12 years ago

I don't get the point of the man being homeless.  The choice is between the man or the puppy.  Is the puppy also homeless or does it belong to Bill Gates?  Are we supposed to feel more sympathetic towards a homeless poisoned man over an average working poisoned man? 

What if the choice were between a poor man and a rich one?  Would we be more inclined to help the rich man in hopes of a reward?  What if the poor man is working 3 jobs to support a family of 6 or 7 kids?  There is no end to where this could go, but really, it's just the same old "would you save your mother or your wife" question.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image96
      Melissa A Smithposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Right, I think that making the man homeless is borderline offensive. Or is that the point? I guess you're less of a human if you aren't successful or beautiful.

Well, the homeless man aspect of the question is to make people look down upon him. When viewing the two, in a way, one might see a cute puppy more appealing than a homeless man. Someone might then devalue human life in their decision. If the puppy was compared to a more affluent person, the answers probably wouldn't vary as much.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image79
        Uninvited Writerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I don't look down on homeless people... While I am an animal lover, people always come first.

17. ekstrom002 profile image58

What you are saying, Lucky Cats, makes no sense. The question is meant to be provocative. And, having a PHD does give validity, You are free to agree or disagree with the question at hand. That is what the form is for. But, when you question the form itself, and attack the creator, you are not contributing. You are making a fool of yourself and trying to clam that someone with a PHD in psychology is not qualified to ask a psychological question. Your argument is oxymoronic.

18. Lucky Cats profile image81

Ok...I give...I'm ;not going to get into this with you.  You have your take, I have mine and others have theirs....I give...not going to be pulled into this forever...I have a life to live...

19. Lucky Cats profile image81

Good question, Melissa...and a pertinent one..there are so many variables and conditional suggestions in this question that it is not absolute and not at all representative the  devaluation of human life or any response which may be entered here... it's relative...

20. BLACKANDGOLDJACK profile image73
    BLACKANDGOLDJACKposted 12 years ago

Before I answer, I want to know if the homeless man is an atheist.

21. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 12 years ago

I stand by my answer, the question is not scientific -  It is a subjective question based on a person's values - things they value, ethics and furthermore morality bordering on philosophical.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Its designed to be that way. Its not supposed to be scientific.

22. kaiyan717 profile image84
    kaiyan717posted 12 years ago

Save the homeless guy, a dog is a dog.

23. kaiyan717 profile image84
    kaiyan717posted 12 years ago

Great question by the way, lol.

thanks kalyan717, thanks for your input

1. kaiyan717 profile image84
        kaiyan717posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I always wondered why people get more upset from animal death in movies (Bambi, Old Yeller) than we do from human deaths.  Desensitized?

Great point! It's just the way society is now-a-days. It's kind of sad how desensitized we have become. I suppose animals appear as more innocent

Yes I think you have a point.  People can take care of themselves, they can speak for themselves.  If this man is homeless and starving in the streets and has eaten something poison, well it can be argued that it's his own fault because he has responsibility for himself and he has let himself come to this end.  However, a puppy just doesn't have that much of a choice about what happens to it.  So, I think the puppy, and animals in general, evoke protective instincts within us, just as children, who also don't have much of a say about what happens to them, do.   As for society now-a-days, well if you know anything about the past, we are probably less "desensitized" to human suffering than at any other time in history.

24. ekstrom002 profile image58

The purpose of the form was not to get into the psyche of the person asking the question. Your dodging the question by doing so. The only one trying to escape is, well, you. Answer the initial question and I will have a conversation with you. Otherwise, I will be ignoring any further comments by you as they are a waist of my time to read. By the way the statement: "I'm not questioning the question itself. I am simply stating why the question was asked in the first place. " contradicts itself.

To Cagsil*

1. Lucky Cats profile image81

ok, here's my 'mia culpa.'  First of all, ekstrom002, I apologize for offending and being offensive in my first reply to your question.  I have many immediate and several delayed responses to it.  First of all, it is an oft used type of question; we've seen it in many forms previously (as is indicated by other responses).  You will receive so many types of replies...some emotional, some reactionary, some meant to be offensive, some based entirely on logic, some based entirely (or as much as can be...ditto logic) on emotion.  some will give it considered thought; weighing as many aspects as possible before committing 'pen to paper.'  There will be biased answers, fearful, antagonistic, forceful, and challenging responses.  Some will answer with attitude; never meaning to give you their actual feeling or diagnosis of the 'meat' of the question.  Because we are such complicated beings; we will resort to, rely on,  and, perhaps, intentionally use deceptive antics to skew the outcome.  All this DOES speak to human nature but, I have doubts that this forum is truly going to produce a ''scientific" study of humans' disregard for our own (or not).  We are capable of so many variations of behavior when faced w/such a question in such an arena.  That is the beauty (and detrimmental quality) of our basic selves.  Because this has been asked in so many forms before, there is a gut reaction and a "been there, seen that...done that" potential for attitudinal responses.  The objectivity pretty much is muted...not entirely, of course....(nothing is absolute) but...potentially.  Also, there is the tacit assumption that there is something negative about some replies as they prove a (?) point about humans' lack of caring for other humans (should they answer in a particular fashion.)  Anyway...here's my apology along w/an attempt to explain my earlier comments.  No offences intended.

2. Cagsil profile image71

And, like I have already stated. I answered your question, as irrelevant as it may be, it's answered.

1. Druid Dude profile image59
        Druid Dudeposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Duh! Save the puppy...they're good to eat.

25. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Depends on how good looking the homeless man is. Got enough ugly in the world as it is! big_smile

26. Eric Newland profile image62
    Eric Newlandposted 12 years ago

Wait, is the antidote delicious? They might both have to die.

lol lol lol

27. taw2012 profile image59
    taw2012posted 12 years ago

I would save the homeless man, because i don't like puppies.

28. ekstrom002 profile image58

I'd like to thank everyone for their comments on my form, it was a great turn out

29. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
    Daughter Of Maatposted 12 years ago

I'd save the puppy. But I'm a misanthrope anyway.

30. Michael Toole profile image78
    Michael Tooleposted 12 years ago

That's a hard one, okay it's not definatly the puppy, they are so cute, Great question! smile

31. ekstrom002 profile image58

Thanks michael, appreciate your input

32. taw2012 profile image59
    taw2012posted 12 years ago

Hey people, I have a doubt. Is antidote for human and animals same?

33. jennzie profile image72
    jennzieposted 11 years ago

Well, if the antidote was only enough for one I would probably give it to the person and take the poor puppy straight to the vet! I wouldn't leave the poor little guy to suffer, but I admit that a lot of the time I feel like I like animals much more than people.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)