Longest Amount of Time You Have Been Single

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (35 posts)
  1. By His Way profile image60
    By His Wayposted 11 years ago

In your adult life, what was the longest amount of time you were single? 

If you chose to be single at those times - why?

On average, how long are you single in between relationships?

1. Jynzly profile image63
      Jynzlyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like this question...let me see; I marries when I was 20 and stayed in that beautiful yet tempestuously challenging marriage for 18 years till I woke up one day to decide that enough is enough and that I should want my next marriage to be better than the first...the second was very good and it was 10 years because he died...then I stayed single for two years, the third was just a live-in but he died too after three years being together...then I was two years single again and now I am married.

Okay...your question actually made me introspect...I just realized that the longest time that I am single is two years and this was because I was still grieving for my lost; once I get back to life then I have someone new again to love and to love me enough for us to decide to get married.
      I am just a born lover and lovable...take it or leave it.

By His Wayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol   good enough wink

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 11 years ago

longest? a month or so...

why?....single in between divorces

average time? - a week...too many divorces and i'm not done yet...there's another chapter or 2 missing i figure...i think i luv being in luv

1. Disturbia profile image60
      Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, too many divorces and you're not done yet?  Are you planning more divorces?  This last one makes 4 for me.  I've actually been married 5 times but my first husband passed away, so he doesn't count as a divorce.

2. By His Way profile image60

I'm in shock, but please don't take offense to that. I'm just curious about this because I'm the extreme opposite.

3. By His Way profile image60

If you don't mind me asking, do you feel you've grown from each relationship or do you feel you've lost a piece of yourself from each?

3. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

I am presently on the longest duration without having a significant other. Sometime ago, it's been so long that it doesn't even matter anymore, my relationship ended with my fiancee decided to leave the state without me and with someone else.

That was about, I think, sometime in 2005. wink

1. Cardisa profile image86
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to hear that Cags. So happy to see you.

I have been single many times the last time was two years.

1. Cagsil profile image69
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nice to see you also Cardisa and it's always nice to be seen. wink

2. By His Way profile image60

Well you can relate then. smile  Sorry about that situation. I guess the only consolation is that it happened then and not later with more invested.... it's just a horrible way to leave a relationship. sad

4. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

About 20 years.  Because I prefer being single.

Wow...  do you ever have moments of wishing it were different?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope.  There are benefits to being in relationships and having children and so forth.  But not enough to make up for simply not wanting to do those things and not enjoying them.

Very true. smile

5. By His Way profile image60

Tons edited out. Too much info out.

Two relationships: one emotional, one "real" relationship

The first one lasted about a year and I didnt even look at another guy with interest for 2 years after this one ended.

The second one was my marriage of 7 years. Together 4 of those. Divorce was 5 years ago and I've stayed single since by choice.

My choices have been heavily influenced by examples of others around me who have jumped from one relationship to another and also because of the reason the marriage ended.

I've recently had a lot of people coming out and asking me about my status and if I'm seeking anyone out. Their reactions are over the top in my opinion, but I'm looking to see if maybe it's my reaction that is abnormal. I have no hang ups. I have no issues. I'm just busy with my priorities.

Because of the recent conversations, I'm starting to worry that maybe I've grown too accustomed to being on my own because as much as I hate to say it...I see another relationship as "work".

So I'm doing a little bit of random research on here. big_smile

Well that's a freakin novel. lol   Sorry!   I've just had some recent conversations with others that have me thinking. big_smile  Thanks for all the replies so far!

2. Jesus was a hippy profile image59
      Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So you're single then? big_smile

6. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

I always went a year or more between, just because it took me a while to get over whoever it was. My sister, on the other hand, cannot stand being single and will do anything to be near a man.

...and there's a lot of that out there and it honestly just makes me feel bad for them. I've gone down that path of trying to feel complete and satisfied in and through another person, and it's just not possible IMO (forever). I just see that behavior as jumping from one heartache to another.

1. SandyMcCollum profile image63
        SandyMcCollumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I completely agree - will YOU tell her, because I've been telling her for years to get to know who she really is before the  next guy, but she doesn't. wink

lol    I have a little sister who is like this. All I can tell ya is it's not possible to this through to them. They have to learn it themselves. They don't listen! ( To give them some credit...at least they are out there. There has to be a happy medium though somewhere. wink

7. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

"My only worry now is that I've possibly grown too accustomed to being on my own that allowing someone in would be just...work."

I've heard that before, and sadly, it does happen. The most frequent love matches are made when the people aren't looking for love any longer. When I decided to quit dating and just hang out, I met who later became my husband. And I didn't want him, he is younger and kept asking me out all the time. I think it was the 8th time I finally said he could come to my house. Now, 25 years later, I'm still glad he was persistent.

But there is a difference between avoiding love and not looking for it. Maybe you are avoiding love?

"I think it was the 8th time I finally said he could come to my house. Now, 25 years later, I'm still glad he was persistent." 

lol  I like that. big_smile

"But there is a difference between avoiding love and not looking for it. Maybe you are avoiding love?"

I don't know. That's what I'm wondering. At first I really just didn't have time. I had two in diapers and working full time odd shifts. I barely kept us together and functinoing, but now they're older and this is coming up and I don't really have the "excuses" anymore. After writing out what I did, I'm thinking that I am avoiding...hm...

8. janesix profile image58
    janesixposted 11 years ago

About two years now. Because i refuse to date someone who would date a crazy person.

..   .......   ...   lol    I had to read that a couple times.

Well.....ok.     big_smile

9. JKenny profile image90
    JKennyposted 11 years ago

Five years and counting. I'm in no great rush to jump into a relationship. Basically, I've always maintained the notion that I will know the right time to commit, and also the right person to commit with.

10. HarperDavis profile image61
    HarperDavisposted 11 years ago

Quite some time, about four years. One relationship ever that was five years. Yes, I'm fairly young. Not in school or anything, but I am in my twenties.

I wouldn't quite say I'm single by choice, but I'm not actively doing anything to change it either. I guess you could say it just is.

11. By His Way profile image60

Well, those sound like good reason to me. I don't think I'm "abnormal" afterall.

I agree with these. ^    I'm not actively looking. I don't think people always just fall into your path, but when it's time I think I'll know.

12. Shaddie profile image76
    Shaddieposted 11 years ago

Like...21 years.

I was a "late bloomer."

Do you mean you were 21 before you dated anyone?  Or 21 years between relationships?

1. Shaddie profile image76
        Shaddieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

21 before I started dating, hah.

lol    Well I hadn't thought about someone including their entire life before their first relationship. If that were the case, then my 5-6 year year run aint nuthin. wink    And no worries on the "late bloomer".  I had a puppy love that involved holding hands twice when I was a teenager but my first real relationship was when I was 20. So, I completely understand. smile  Who the heck knows what they're doin as a teen anyways...psshhh....

13. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

I was taught to always be prepared!  smile

But.... waiting... waiting... waiting... waiting...
    certainly is not conducive to being prepared, I figure it's more like being stuck on the side of the road with a flat tyre! sad

So a long time ago, I decided it was always best to carry a spare! smile

LOL  ....?...are you saying what I think you're saying?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)