hubber paying for freelancers to write hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (25 posts)
  1. LaMamaLoli profile image60
    LaMamaLoliposted 11 years ago

Not sure what to do about this, so just thought I would post it here and ask if anyone knows best thing to do. which may be nothing...
    A few minutes ago I saw a job posted on freelancer.co.uk where the person was requesting someone write 4 hubpages - and thats the word used - about whatever topics of interest to them, and said that more would probably be required. This is the only site I know that has hubpages, so I assumed it was for here.
    That's wrong surely??

1. Sally's Trove profile image77
      Sally's Troveposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, it's not wrong. It's just a way of doing business. I've been approached many times to write on HP to promote someone else's enterprise. I've never agreed to do that, but some might.

2. Dale Hyde profile image82
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had not thought of that, but I reckon it is fair game as long as you "own" the material outright and that person does not sell it a second time, down the road, to someone on another site who publishes it and you then have duplicate content.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

It isn't the first time I have heard about a hubber paying someone else to write hubs. From what I understand, there were several hubbers who paid other people to write specific hubs. Even heard of HubPages themselves paying Hubber to write specific hubs as well.

You are being so kind...this happens all the time. And, yes, in the "old days" HP paid people to write for them.

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Being kind? lol

I thought I was just answering a question. lol

I admire your grace. wink

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now I have grace too? Wow! lol

3. LaMamaLoli profile image60
    LaMamaLoliposted 11 years ago

oh. so it's an ok thing to do then? Didn't realise that. I assumed that only original work could be posted on here and that you had to be the author of that original work. I guess you don't. Learn something new every day! That makes me a bit sad though...

Please don't go to where you went about original work. If someone contracts with you to write an original hub under their account, then the assumption is that it will be an original work. No, you don't have to be the author of that original work to claim it as your own (you can pay someone to do that for you), but the work must be original. If you write for someone else's HubPage account, then you need to know what rights you retain or relinquish.

2. WriteAngled profile image75
      WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is original work if it is not copied from elsewhere. Why should there be a problem with this? It is a straightforward business transaction. The client is either gambling that the topic will eventually make more than he will pay the writer or else is using the hubs to promote another site or service of his. The writer prefers to sacrifice the potential of long-term passive income for an upfront payment in ready money. Writing hubs isn't like doing homework or exams!

Yes, better said than I said. smile Although I'm not sure about the reference to homework or exams.

1. WriteAngled profile image75
          WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I mentioned homework and exams, because those are two situations where the person doing them is supposed to do all the work themselves smile

So right you are. Missed that!

2. LaMamaLoli profile image60
        LaMamaLoliposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess so. Not going to argue. I'm a bit naive I guess. I would automatically assume that you had written all the hubs attributed to your name, as I would with any hubber.  What you and Sally are saying is that is not necessarily the case. I guess there is nothing wrong with that. It just didn't cross my mind!

Welcome to the online writing and marketing world where truth may be stranger than fiction. smile

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

It's also true that some people are great at promotion, but not so good at doing the actual writing, or perhaps don't even have the time to do the writing.

I'm quite sure most websites are populated with articles written by freelancers, so it's just the same.

I agree...HP is no different in this regard. It's a place like any other to capitalize on. That this is some special kind of writers' community is in the mind of some Hubbers. This is a site to be milked for all it's worth.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

As long as they acquire full and exclusive rights to the material, I see no problem with it.

6. Healthy Pursuits profile image78
    Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years ago

Do you mean - pant, pant - I could have had someone ELSE doing this writing? Rats! I've been trying to get 50 hubs out, and, tortoise that I am, it feels all uphill. Where have I been that I didn't know this? lol

7. feenix profile image57
    feenixposted 11 years ago

I am not going to name any names, but because I am fairly familiar with the writing game, I can tell that some of the "big time contributors" to HubPages have "ghost writers" doing all the work for them.

Now, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is what could be described as good-old ingenuity and industriousness.

8. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

A Hubber approached me last year and named a few of my Hubs that "his friend" wanted to use.  His friend was setting up an online magazine, but didn't have it set up just yet.  I had a list of questions, including payment and if I would own the rights after publication, but the only thing that he could tell me was that I should follow up.  I didn't go after the offer or do a thing about it because I wasn't interested.  So where was his friend in all of this?  Have not heard from him or his "friend" since.

9. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 11 years ago

I've written all of my hubs, and I've been paid to write hubs for others, as well. I've never seen anything in the TOS against such practice.

10. sofs profile image76
    sofsposted 11 years ago

In IB I have seen some writers making offers to write for others on the forums.. There are points for the number of articles you submit and it seems to be a common practice with some writers there to buy their articles.. legal and accepted.

11. Writer Fox profile image30
    Writer Foxposted 11 years ago

When writers are contracted for writing assignments, it is most often under a "work for hire" copyright agreement, wherein the employer pays for the work and owns the copyright.  The owner may do whatever he wishes with the work, e.g. publish under the owner's name, publish under someone else's name, resell to a third party, etc.  This is perfectly legal and is done everyday.  (Ghost writers make their livings writing books for others.)  More often, however, I see posts looking for a HubPages writer to write something that will link back to a specific sight. Has anyone else seen postings like that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)