Would you ghostwrite a book for someone else?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (27 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

I am often approached by people who tell me that they have an incredible story to tell - they took drugs, experienced incest, etc., and they eventually became successful in their careers, etc., and they are now looking for someone to ghostwrite their story.

They normally want you to write this for them free of charge, and they promise that when the book is selling, they will pay you a percentage. Generally, this is about 10%.

So, looking at the logistics of this...

A book that doesn't need any research generally takes about 200 hours if it's non fiction and everything is just a matter of writing down. That's 25 days or (taking off weekends) five weeks of solid works. It also doesn't take into consideration that generally it's impossible to write for eight hours a day because it's a very tiring occupation.

The odds of getting the book published are not high because...

a) Unless one is famous or there is something very unique about the story, this kind of story is old hat at this point.

b) Publishers regard 'best seller' as anything over 2000 books. If 2000 books sell, and the writer gets a 10% royalty (the norm), the writer makes $4000.00. If the writer then pays the ghostwriter 10% of the royalties, the ghostwriter earns $400 for five weeks of exhausting work.

The person who is hiring the writer, of course, is thinking that their story is going to sell millions because another writer did this...

Would you ghostwrite a book for someone else without being paid?

1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
      Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I wouldn't.  Not in a million years.  That's ballsy for them to even ask you to do that for no payment but it happens.  Something about that just screams scam to me.

2. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

I certainly would not -- even at a higher rate or for less work. There's something like a balance point that might make me interested, but the terms you mention are far from that point for me!

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Aficionada. I've lost count of the number of people who have approached me with this proposition. To try and tell these people that their 'offer' is ridiculous is just plain rude, but, honestly, where do they get this idea from that writing the book is the easy part and that their story is fabulous, and that publishers will fall over themselves to buy it, and then that the public will buy millions, and then they will be rich.

I'm pretty sure that is the reasoning behind it, because every single time I explain it to them, they back off. They honestly were looking for someone to write their 'wonderful' life story for nothing.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

Just my 2c:

In my experience ghostwriters are either 1) paid a large flat fee for purchase of all rights (work for hire), or 2) paid a very considerable amount of the advance and royalties, not less than 50% (unless this is for some huge celebrity with writers clamoring to get full access). 10% is measly even assuming the book already has a guaranteed Big Six publisher.  As unplaced work in an over-crowded genre... well, it sounds like a very undesirable and non-standard deal to me. 

But I would note that a bestseller is something that appears on a bestseller list (e.g. NYT)--which occurs at around 150,000 copies or more--it varies.  A poor seller at a Big 6 imprint would still be selling 10,000 books.  2000 copies is nothing and I can;t think fo a conventional publisher who would call that anything but a dismal failure.  It isn't that hard to do even just self-publishing. Royalties will be about 10% for print and 30% for ebooks, maybe more.

1. profile image0

psycheskinner, you're exactly right with regard to payment. I guess I just can't figure why there are so many people who approach me to ghostwrite for them with the 'deal' that they've got this fantastic life story, and if I write it for nothing, then they will pay me 10% of what they make.

With regard to the best selling bit, I think you've just explained something to me that has puzzled me for years. I have read over and over again that 2000 books sold is a 'bestseller.' I think the people on the web are getting this information from faulty sources. 2000 books is the size of an initial print run these days for an unknown author.

Thank you for clarifying that...

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

I get "I have a great idea for a novel, you write it and we'll split the profits 50:50".

Yeah, right.

5. Aficionada profile image78
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

How about a counter-offer? Namely: "I will write your book proposal, outline, and cover letter for $XXX. If you can get a reputable agent to pick it up, then at that point we will work out a deal for ghost-writing the full manuscript, or you can take the outline and proposal and find someone else willing to work on your terms."

6. Leaderofmany profile image59
    Leaderofmanyposted 11 years ago

I would ghostwrite for someone, like a veteran who has TBI or PTSD they often cannot put thoughts together at once and remember in bits and pieces. So having someone write it down as they tell it would be a great service to them. Their stories need to be heard so others can begin to understand.

1. profile image0

Leaderofmany: Maybe the story needs to be told but, once you've written it (and you haven't been paid for it), and the client can't find a publisher, it means that you've done all that work for no reward, and nobody is going to read it anyway. Would you still write under those conditions?

1. Leaderofmany profile image59
        Leaderofmanyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You know that writing that book, would be from the heart, and I know that a publisher would publish it. Right now people want to know what it was like to be in the war zone. Look at all the movies that have been out recently about that topic. Seeing it through the eyes of a Soldier is priceless.

1. profile image0

Leaderofmany... well, I guess you're going to have to learn the hard way. smile

7. Stacie L profile image90
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I would charge by the page and then a commission on royalties.

8. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Agree with all above comments. If they want a writer to do the work, they have to be prepared to make upfront payments.

9. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 11 years ago

Thanks everybody. I've had so many people approach me with this 'deal' that I was beginning to wonder if this was the norm out there. Glad to know it's not!

10. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

ABSOLUTELY NOT!  Don't do anything for free.  Many people think that writing is so easy.  Like you can instantly pull words out of a hat or have them fall out of the sky and onto your lap.  Just who are these people who approach you?  They want something for nothing.  I would lose them!  Even agents these days get paid 15% for their piece of the pie.

1. profile image0

You're right, Arlene. There are a lot of people out there that confuse basic literacy with creative writing. They think that if one can write ABC then that's all one needs to write well, and that it isn't such a rare thing. Then they go on to rationalize that if it's that easy, then it doesn't deserve much pay.

Writers are often to write gratis. Personally, I've lost touch of the number of people who have approached me to ghostwrite their books for them and they want me to write them free and then take a percentage of the royalties.

Even world famous writers have this problem...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

1. Helena Ricketts profile image91
        Helena Rickettsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That video is FANTASTIC! Thanks for sharing that.

1. profile image0

Please, Helena. smile

11. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

Once you have written something and you have been paid for it, you find it hard to swallow that statement, not getting paid... and for a whole book! Books are not like Hubs! They are long! Some writers will even ask for a downpayment for researching the book.

The author shoould weigh each writing job up on its own unique merits. With one slight exception - guest blogging.

12. MPG Narratives profile image60
    MPG Narrativesposted 11 years ago

Would any other professional be asked to work for nothing? A professional writer is no different to say a doctor, would a doctor operate for nothing?

I find it offensive when people ask for help with writing and design and expect it for free. Writing is a profession just like any other job, and if its easy why don't they give it a try themselves?

1. profile image0

Well, the people who are approaching me are approaching me as a professional as they see the ads I put in as a professional writer. They see my webpage, my portfolio (and it is extensive with credits in print, movies, business, magazines, web, etc.).

So I'm surprised that nobody else gets this...

13. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 11 years ago

Curiously, I have not yet been approached by anyone, ever, to write anything for them.  I have numerous offers to rewrite my stuff so it is grammatically correct or entertaining, and some people have begged me to stop altogether.

Still waiting for that call...

1. profile image0

Hi Mark. Nice laugh! smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image81
        Mark Ewbieposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sophie, I'm still doing my reverse psychology schtick.  And it still isn't working.

1. profile image0

Mark, I don't know where that quick wit of yours comes from, but whenever I meet it, you bring a smile to my lips - something that few can do. It makes you really, really special! smile

14. peeples profile image93
    peeplesposted 11 years ago

Even though I feel I have a story worth telling and I am incapable of writing it I could never imagine asking someone to do it for free. A person with the ability to write such should be appreciated for their time and paid. It would be very disrespectful not to. I have a friend who is a brilliant painter, I couldn't imagine asking her to paint a picture for us for free.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)