What would you like to ask HubPages staff members?

Jump to Last Post 1-35 of 35 discussions (64 posts)
  1. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Hello everyone!!

We're launching a series of interviews with the cool employees at HubPages headquarters to give you a better view of the people behind the site. Not all staff members have agreed to an interview (we have a couple shy folks!!), but many have, and I'd love to know what questions I should ask them!

Do you have any questions that you would like to ask the HubPages staff? Do you ever wonder about the way work through various HubPages initiatives, execute new programs, or build new features? Would you like to know about the crazy shenanigans that go on in the office?

Feel free to post any interview questions you might like to see in this series. They can be for specific people (e.g. Paul Edmondson), types of employees (e.g. engineers, or the person responsible for designing/building a certain feature), or just any HubPages staff member in general.

If you feel self-conscious about sending over your question in this thread, you could also send me a personal message through my profile.

I look forward to seeing what you might have in mind!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To Simone.
      Do you get cable?
      http://s2.hubimg.com/u/3355373.jpg

Simone Smithposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6514145_f248.jpg

Cable? Errr...

Just some messages from space.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60

I saw the 4/27 blog. Bow Power Forever! big_smile

2. Rik Ravado profile image87
    Rik Ravadoposted 11 years ago

Hi Simone,

Here is a question for you staff. How do you cope with all the flak and diverse opinions from we hubbers?  On top of that you have Google Panda every month plus penguin! I admire you guys for keeping on innovating amidst all this conflict and constant change. Do you every feel like quitting hubpages and joining the army or becoming a cop? smile

Hehee! That's a fun one.

2. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile Excellent question...one I have often thought of myself.

3. ngureco profile image81
    ngurecoposted 11 years ago

1. To Paul Edmondson: What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received from a hubber?

2. To all: Do you ever feel bad when after a hard job you do not receive the recognition and praise that you deserve from hubbers?

3. To all: Do you feel challenged when you suspect a certain hubber may be more conversant than you in some issues to do with hubpages?

4. To all: Why do some staff members write lots of hubs whilst others don’t? Aren't staff members not as interested in making more money from hubpages just like the hubbers are?

5. To Simone Smith: Your current avatar is very cool. Why didn’t use it the first time you joined hubpages?

Good ones!

Since Aya Katz already interviewed me on the blog, I'll answer #5- I didn't have it back in the day. It's a screenshot from one of my videos, and I chose it because it's 93% more sarcastic.

4. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

What would you do if you had spokes and a rim?

Love it.

5. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

Simone...I would like to know how super hero titles are assigned among the staff smile

Very good one! I am going to use variants of that across all of 'em!

2. leahlefler profile image95
      leahleflerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

More importantly, which one of you is Darth Vader?

Well well, we all know THAT'S Darkside!

6. watergeek profile image94
    watergeekposted 11 years ago

When we copy and paste another's hub link with our referral number included, does that get counted as a "share"? Alternatively, is there a way that "sharing" hubs on Facebook can be made to include our referral link?

I'm thinking you just want that answered.

If your referral tracker is included in a HubPages link, it counts as your share. That includes links you share on Facebook, but only if those links include that tracker. You can get links with the tracker built in by clicking the "link to this page" link at the bottom of every page on HubPages.

7. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

To Simone: What are your thoughts when you see the child-like antics that happen on the forums?

To All: How does HubPages handle negativity written about them on the Internet from outside sources?

To All: When does your work day begin and when does it end? Do you work 24/7 or ever go through HP withdrawal when you are away from the computer?

Excellent questions!

8. profile image0
    mts1098posted 11 years ago

There are several thousand people writing on this site with photos and videos potentially in every hub.  How does hp deal with storing all this media and is there an annual hardware upgrade to handle the storage?

Interesting one!

9. Cardisa profile image87
    Cardisaposted 11 years ago

(1)To Simone: Will you be my best friend?

(2) Jason Menayan: Will you marry me?

Seriously guys, I just want to commend you all for doing a great job. I may ask my serious questions later but for now I see some people asking stuff that I would have so I will just read those answers.

1. Camille Harris profile image89
      Camille Harrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's a line wink

10. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 11 years ago

To all:

What is the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow ?

1. SimeyC profile image87
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean? An African or European swallow?

1. Cardisa profile image87
        Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

256 miles per second!

11. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Hi, Simone and Staff! Questions for our great staff? You bet!  Here goes:

To the Founders:

What inspired you to start HubPages? What did you originally envision the site would be like?

Follow-up to that question: How has the site evolved in ways you never imagined?

To All Staff:

What are your goals for site in the future (one year, five years, etc.)?

What do you love about your job? What do you hate (or love a whole lot less)?

Describe your ideal Hubber?

Thanks for the opportunity to ask questions - can't wait to read the outcome!

1. Lisa HW profile image64
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Marcy, I especially like the questions about "originally envision for the site"  and "goals for the site in the future".  Those have been questions I've had ever since I first signed up here.  The one about "evolved in ways you never imagined" is a good one too, I think.    I just think the ones about "originally envision" and "in the future", if answered, might give some Hubbers a better context within which they could then operate.

2. Simone Smith profile image87

I agree these are great questions. Can't wait to read the answers.

12. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4710128_f272.jpg
    Have you ever wanted to smack a Hubber on the nose with a rolled up newspaper?

1. Denise Handlon profile image86
      Denise Handlonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6514141_f248.jpg

No, but I have wanted to throttle a couple.

Just kidding. I'm a horrid throttler.

13. paradigmsearch profile image60

What are your secret thoughts about Google?
    http://www.popfi.com/wp-content/uploads/dynamite.jpg

Heee.

14. KiaKitori profile image69
    KiaKitoriposted 11 years ago

1.Is Hubpages thinking to get into ebooks publishing?
    2.What is the future of online content?
    3.Does Hubpages has a long term business plan? How many years does it covers?
    4.for Paul Edmondson.: If you'd be rich, what kind of act of charity would you do?

Thank you.
    :)KiaK.

15. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Who has the Phantom ring Now!

16. celebritie profile image70
    celebritieposted 11 years ago

To Staff: How Many Hubbers will it take to fit into a Submarine without it sinking?

17. LuisEGonzalez profile image77
    LuisEGonzalezposted 11 years ago

To those in charge.....are there any steps in the works to make The "Google God" see HubPages as the great writers's community that it is and avoid the suffering brought about by their constant Pandas, penguins... giraffes.... elephants...the entire zoo or whatever they think off next...........tongue

18. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Are you strictly a 9-5 outfit?  Or do you have workaholics that work into the night, holidays and weekends?  I want to know because I have workaholic tendencies.  But only if I love my work.

19. prettydarkhorse profile image54
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

Is Ari reading all the questions and answers in the Q and A section? smile smile smile

What sports each one of you like to watch and play?

Do you ever sleep and when you sleep are you still dreaming of H-u-b-p-a-g-e-s?

How do you squeeze your lovelife into such demanding and hectic HubPages?

All the staff : Do you still watch cartoons? What cartoons do you like to watch? Favorite cartoons/cartoon character when you were a kid.

To Simone Smith : How do you manage to remain funny, smart and beautiful at the same time?

How old is Paul Deeds, is he married? has a gf? Does he like to watch or play football? (Am I allowed to ask lots of qs about him smile smile)

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maita, do you have a staff crush??  big_smile

Questions to any staff member

Do you read hubs for enjoyment?

Moderator question

Any stories you want to share about moderating forum posts?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image54
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I am just curious, just to lighten up the mood. smile smile

Prettydarkhorse, your questions are super fun! I can't wait to read the staff answers.

Cartoons are fun. I watch Adventure Time and My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic a bit now. Also, to answer your question directly to me: Easy!! I don't!!!

rebekahELLE, those are fabulous queries.

20. GinnyLee profile image87
    GinnyLeeposted 11 years ago

What do you see as the next major move for HubPages? 

What are the biggest risks that you have identified for continued success at online publishing?

Where are HubPages' growth opportunities?

When you look back at the Panda 1.0 hit, what things do you wish you would have done differently?  What things were you particularly proud of?

Are you concerned with some of the high-profile hubbers leaving the site?  Do you think it is part of the natural churn on writing?

What new Web 2.0 technologies are you eyeing for porting to HubPages? We saw the Pinterest-esque picture scrolling test.  Are you looking at Pinwheel for location tagging?  Any other up and coming companies that pique your interest?

Oh, and does Simone really wear big hair bows every day?  ;-)

21. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

Who is the office geek?
    Who is the office joker?
    Who is the most eligible batchelor / batchelorrette?
    Who is the 'go to guy / girl'?
    Who works the longest?
    Who likes the Telletubbies?

Oooooh!!!! Love 'em!

22. paradigmsearch profile image60

Happy Friday!

Does HP have any Friday traditions? Things like casual day, big box of donuts next to the coffee machine, group lunch at TGIF, etc. smile

23. Faith Reaper profile image83
    Faith Reaperposted 11 years ago

This is my last resort about Hub Groups, as I have grouped my hubs, but they are not showing as grouped on my profile page.  I've checked out the Learning Center and other areas and even asked the question and did what was suggested by a fellow hubber, but it keeps telling me to cancel then hit the submit button, but there is no submit button under my Hub Groups page.  Is there any way the staff can tweaked that for me, as I would like to have my husbs grouped by topics for increased traffic flow?  But I would also like to know if there is a problem on my Hub as it appears to be an easy thing to do, but it is just not working.  Please help, as some of my best hubs are the very first hubs I had written.  Thanks a lot for your help and assistance, Faith Reaper

Hey Faith! They're not supposed to show up as grouped on your profile page- they'll just be connected in Hub view smile

24. Diane Woodson profile image60
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

How long does it usually take to work for HubPages?

25. Denise Handlon profile image86
    Denise Handlonposted 11 years ago

What a riot-this was the best part of my morning so far, lol     Way to go Simone and co. for bringing this forum to the table.  After all of the flak that was going on in some of the forums this may put to rest all of the backbiting comments...hmmmm, unless the grumblers aren't really interested in solutions.   

I also would like to commend the staff for doing a great job keeping the works going and for motivating writers with things like improvements and contests!  I'm all for continued education.   

I'm looking forward to reading the answers to some of the questions here.  smile

26. cardelean profile image86
    cardeleanposted 11 years ago

These are awesome questions!

27. ripplemaker profile image77
    ripplemakerposted 11 years ago

How do you guys unwind?  Do you take a vacation together?
    What motivates you to do the things you do for Hubpages?
    Are there hubbers that you would like to meet in person?
    What was the kindest thing a hubber did for you?
    What is your comfort food? big_smile

Excited to read the answers to the questions that have been posted. Lots of good ones.

28. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 11 years ago

1.  In the office, what do you do to blow off steam or to have fun?  Google headquarters has all kinds of games for employees, what about HP? 

2.  Ryan H. used to bring in his dog.  Do you have any office dogs now?

3.  I notice employees on the forums late at night sometimes.  Are you "on the clock" for these late hours, or what?

4.  When I flag spammers even late at night, I notice the offending posts are deleted pretty quickly.  How does this work?  In other words, are staff watching the forums 24/7?

5.  To all:  what's your favorite thing about San Francisco?

6.  What's the best restaurant close to HP headquarters?

7.  Does Paul E have barbeques at his house? 

8.  Who is HP's "class clown"/resident comedian?

9.  Who always makes the coffee?

10. Do employees' kids come in for "bring your child to work day?"

11. To all:  if you could give hubbers one piece of advice, what would it be?

29. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

A few more specific questions-

Fawtina - Can you tell us more about the Japanese themed public school you attended in Oregon? Do you feel it affected how you approach the learning process?

Mausmi - Are you still involved in the Aspire Education Project? Can you tell us more about your role as an educator in this program?

Norah - I see you are working towards finishing your BA in Science and History. Can you share with us more about your interest in Physical Anthropology?

30. Maddie Ruud profile image72
    Maddie Ruudposted 11 years ago

Great questions! I'm having a hard time restraining myself from answering some of them right now!

Patience, Maddie. Patience.

31. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image82
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Another question - when Paul and any of the rest of you come to Austin for SXSW (or anything else), will you PLEASE let those of us who are Hubbing in Austin get together with you?  I know the places we real Austinites hang out, by the way.  I cannot, however, tell you why we are called something that sounds like a cave formation (over here, you'll see some of them thar weird Austinites poking through the rock).

1. Nell Rose profile image90
      Nell Roseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

32. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

When are you opening the New Jersey Office? big_smile

33. mary615 profile image84
    mary615posted 11 years ago

How come I see Hubs with lots of photos not attributed to anyone and they are high scoring Hubbers?
    When I HubHop, should I flag those Hubs who have photos that are not attibuted to anyone?  I never know what I should do.
    Thanks for all you do!

1. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think attribution is optional even though recommended. I don't usually flag hubs that don't list the source.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60

In many cases they are public domain .gov pics whose original .gov website has since moved on to different pics.

34. TravelAbout profile image68
    TravelAboutposted 11 years ago

Has HubPages ever held a hubber conference/convention?

35. Simone Smith profile image87
    Simone Smithposted 11 years ago

Thanks for your questions, everyone! I'm emailing them to those who agreed to do the interview. Reading these interviews is going to be CRAZY fun!!!

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)