Obama makes surprise visit to Afghanistan

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

By BEN FELLER AP White House Correspondent

KABUL, Afghanistan - President Barack Obama slipped into Afghanistan Tuesday night on the anniversary of the killing of 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden and signed an agreement cementing U.S. commitment to the nation after American combat troops leave.

Alongside Afghan President Hamid Karzai, Obama declared, "Together, we're now committed to replacing war with peace."

Obama was greeted upon arrival at Bagram Air Field by Ryan Crocker, the U.S. ambassador to Afghanistan. Obama then flew by helicopter to the presidential palace in Kabul, where he was to meet with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and sign the strategic partnership.

Read more: http://www.kypost.com/dpps/news/obama-m … z1tf1B8FHr
    The US is helping them after we leave? Does that mean money,to protect us?

2. knolyourself profile image60
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

When was the last time an Afghani attacked the US?
    I cannot think of a single instance.

3. American View profile image60
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

This was nothing more than a campaign move. Wait till you see the rest of the speeches and the NBC interview with Brian Williams on Thursday from the top secret situation room inside the Whitehouse. Even Huffington said he was disgusting for the video and what he had planned this week. She is as far to the left as it gets and even she knows this was not the right thing to do.

4. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 11 years ago

campaigning at the taxpayers expense...disgusting

5. profile image59
    logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

Probably hitting Karzai up for a campaign contribution from all the taxpayer money we sent over there.

6. lovemychris profile image76
    lovemychrisposted 11 years ago

Funny...when Bush showed up in Iraq with a rubber turkey....did you all blast him too? Somehow I doubt it.

Obama is commander in chief. If you don't like it....and we know you don't. Too bad.

We all had to deal with your commander in chief....8 years of him, So--have a seat.

1. American View profile image60
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LMC,

When Bush went to Iraq, it was not for self promotion, it was sincere. Bush truly cares for the troops and showed them he cared. Bush contacted personally every family of a soldier we lost, Obama contacted ZERO. The only time Obama did anything was when he met on the tarmac the returning bodies of the seal team six who died in the chopper crash. And he only did that for the photo op.

Bush is no longer President, he has nothing to prove to anyone, no votes to get, yet he is still deeply involved with the returning vets. Two weekends ago he did a two day marathon mountain bike ride where HE personally invited wounded Vets to participate and all funds raised went to wounded warrior project. While Bush was President, he participated in many fund raisers that benefited wounded warriors and other charities. While in office, Obama has had many fund raisers that benefit, well, HIM. And all on the taxpayers dime!!

One more distinction, Obama did it as a campaign tool. All the Bin Laden festivities, speeches, interviews, videos, specials all for campaigning purposes. Bush never bragged about getting Saddam. It was talked about for a few days, we heard about Saddam's trial and execution and never once did Bush put out a video, run an ad, give a speech over it

Its called Class LMC and Obama has none of it. He did the same thing to ground zero. He never went there, turned down all invitations to go there, but when it was the tenth anniversary in the election cycle, he was there, turned it into a political circus so the first responders were spit on and told they were not worthy to be there. He sent out a directive that there were to be no clergy to be invited or allowed there, there was to be no mention of any religions, yet what did Obama do when he spoke, he read passages out of the bible. Hypocrite.

Just on a side note, I was not "surprised" by the trip to Afghanistan. I bet a devote liberal here he was going to do it and looks like I will be collecting $20 smile

7. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 11 years ago

Huffington has been trouncing Obama. Is he not liberal enough for her?

Habee,

It is not that Obama is not liberal enough for her. She was one of his biggest fans. Her endorsements, fundraisers, getting HuffPost behind Obama was big for him. But something has defiantly happened within the last year because she slowly like on some issues would not side with Obama. Suddenly there were articles questioning or negative to Obama showing up on her site which prior to that time never happened.

I wonder why the change, wonder what happened.

1. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

She was never a fan of his. Go back and see.

http://mydd.com/users/apolitik/posts/is … ost-biased

From the article... "I have heardheard Obama refer to The Huffington Post on several occasions. The last time was the last straw. The Citizen Wells blog has written about The Huffington Post acting as an arm of the Obama camp to smear opposition to Obama. You can expect
          more".

http://citizenwells.wordpress.com/2010/ … trols-now/

From this article of just a few weeks ago where Huffington endorses Obama...... "I want to be clear that it's crucial for the country — and the world — that the president defeat any of his likely opponents."

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/opinio … 3ce6c.html

LMC,

So as you can see as I have given you links going back to the last election up to just a few weeks ago where she endorses Obama, she IS indeed a fan of Obama. So if your fan says you did something disgusting that means something and you should listen.

I guess since Huffington has come out and said that, I wonder how long before the Whitehouse calls her a racist

I'm not going to all those links av. I am a true fan of C-Span, and I have seen her on numerous panels...beginning before Obama took office.
            She always says he is not doing enough, not liberal enough, not caring enough, too much like Bush, too much a corporatist, a globalist,should have done the public option, should have single payer,why are we not out of Iraq, what is up with Afghanistan, war president, on and on and on.

and I would geuss that all those links are right-wing anyway...very biased, and I'm not going there anymore.

I already know: Obama is worthless, have never had such a horrible president, is not a citizen and doesn't belong in America, let alone as president. All his supporters are commies who hate this country why don't they just leave!! Cuba is looking good this year, eh comrades?

hate hate hate hate and smears and lies.    no tanks.

You will not go to any of the articles because you want to live in the false world that you and the Dems have created for yourselves. Just for information, the last link was to Huffingtons own article she wrote herself!!

I also made sure those were left leaning sights because I knew your BS line about not reading the right which we all know you do because of things you quote and say you heard first hand that came from a right winged show!1  So are you not reading the left now too?

truth, truth,truth,truth,truth,truth,facts facts facts facts facts facts I guess you say no thanks to those too

The right never changes av. All you have to have done is listened to them back when Clinton was prez.

It's only intensified in hatred now with Obama..that's all.

And Ariana has some splainin to do. I want to know how one goes from extreme right to liberal?

And I have seen her in person--on stage--on panels dissing Obama left and right. I don't care what she says now...she is a chameleon, or has no solid backbone, I don't know which.

Either way---she means nada to moi.

LMC

I understand politics going way back further than Clinton. Clinton was child's play. You can keep saying I listen to the right which I do not but you cannot deny how stuck to the extreme left wall you are.

" I want to know how one goes from extreme right to liberal?"

It's called divorce

8. lovemychris profile image76

She has been anti-Obama since his election. People keep trying to tell the right...Obama is not a liberal. A liberal would never be allowed in there (potus)...that's why Kucinich is perpetually laughed at and ignored, and McKinney the same.

Obama is a pragmatic pro-military type of guy. Huffington is a limousine liberal, imo. And suspicious......How does one go from being highly conservative (which she was when her R husband was in office) to liberal? How does that work???

9. lovemychris profile image76

Sincere?? With a rubber turkey?

And don't tell me Bush didn't politicize 9/11. ALL of them did.

We had to re-live it over and over and over again. So they could take their bows as terrorist chasers.

Too bad they themselves were the terorists....In My Opinion. And I had to watch people bow to them...as they still do.

So--we will never see eye to eye. Never. And my rage hasn't subsided...so I will remove myself from this for a while.

Go on with your Bush love/Obama bashing....we're used to it.

Bush Bush he's the man...if he can't do it, no one can

Hussein Obama  Hussein Obama  Hussein Obama......got it, loud and clear.

LMC,

I guess you never heard of a prop, I guess you would be happier if Hollywood used real guns. Think about it, I know you must have cooked a turkey in your life time. How easy is it to carry a whole cooked turkey without it falling apart.

I want to ask you a question and get a response ON TOPIC, I do not want to hear truther stories or Cheney stories or the like just a simple response.

How did Bush politicize 911?

10. lovemychris profile image76

I believe you will find it on another thread. Longhunters "navy seals slam the president" thread. Last page, a post by Jeff Berndt: Daily Show. Prez Bush sittting with Iraq leader...says "The world is better off with Saddam in a cell. Far different than my political opponent would have done." (paraphrase)

Keeping us safe....and Kerry would not.
    Taking credit for the Hunt: I want him dead or alive. Remember 9/11. Wasn't the Republican convention HELD on 9/11?

Bullhorn: I want you to know...and the world to now....we know who you are, and we will get you!   Rah! hoooorrahhh yay...applause applause applause.

Bush, not afraid of terrorists....Kerry...the wimp. I will get Bin Laden....wuss Kerry will not.

And it is awful beyond words for people to say that Bush really cares,is sincere, and Obama is not.

Obama lifted the ban on showing coffins returning home...Bush did not allow it. And he writes to soldiers and their families too.

And--his policies are based on returning soldiers and their families....look at what Mrs. Obama and Mrs Biden have been doing.

And I've seen that web-site you are referencing where Bush was running....that is a typical Obama-Hate web-site, where military right-wingers can disgrace their uniforms by bashing the current commander in chief.

And it's quite sad to see them praise and give homage to the man whose admn helped murder 3,000 Americans in their quest for world domination....If you see the world from my pov. So--anything positive you say about your hero...falls on deaf ears.

How soon you all forget.

1. profile image0
      Longhunterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"And it's quite sad to see them praise and give homage to the man whose admn helped murder 3,000 Americans in their quest for world domination...

Is the conspiracy theorist making a return visit? roll

Here's the link you spoke of from my SEAL forum. I hope it works.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episod … vid-barton

I'm in good company...while Fox newest "newsman" calls Obama a Communist for using the word "Forward".

did he miss the train when god was handing out brains?? Or is he gunning for something?

we'll just have to wait and see...he WAS thinking of running for prez once. Independent party Bwahahahahahaha

yeah, independent like I'm queen lillibet.

1. profile image0

OOOOkaaaayyyy. I hope you feel better.

Besides, how is Barack Hussein Obama being a Communist NEW news? That's like saying, "Hey, the Pope is Catholic!"

2. American View profile image60

LMC,

"And I've seen that web-site you are referencing where Bush was running....that is a typical Obama-Hate web-site, where military right-wingers can disgrace their uniforms by bashing the current commander in chief."

You cannot even be accurate about this. First, I saw it on MSNBC, second, he was not running, I guess you missed the part where I said MOUNTAIN BIKE.

Obama has said he does not write to the soldiers early on when he took office, so you claim was not accurate. Obama lifted the ban for one reason only, to desecrate the memory of the fallen. Obama has no class, he is just like those who want to protest at funeral services.

Where was Obama for the first 2 years in office on Veterans day? On Memorial Day? Not doing what President before him do, not putting out the wreaths or attending those ceremonies.

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Than you UW!
          I saw him greeting coffins once too, arriving on a plane....dark of night. He saluted them. I cried.

Too bad even nice things are politicized.

I know I know....only Bush and Republicans care about veterans.
          And they  wonder why the division? Get a big mirror pubs!

"Yes, Newt, I still remember how you moved the dialogue by blaming Susan Smith drowning her kids on Democrats"

See LMC, there is the difference. Bush went and met almost every plane with returning soldiers, you never heard nothing, But Obama used it for a photo op.

Show one picture of Obama other than seal team six greeting the coffins of returning Vets. Doubt you can find one.

I wonder if you would have cried if you saw Bush greeting coffins. Talk about politicizing.

2. American View profile image60

Un,

Notice I said first two years. He did go last year after he has taken a lot of flack for it and since this is election year you can count on him showing up this year.

So he did do something in 2010 and 2011 then? And from 2009
            http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/05/2 … 07294.html

He wasn't president in 2008.

He has done something for Memorial Day every year.

So basically, you had your facts wrong.

Yes, but he went to veterans cemetary in Illinois instead, he sent the VP to Arlngton..

Again in case you missed it
                http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/05/31/9 … o-cut.html

Did you know George H.W. Bush didn't attend services at Arlington for the first 4 years of his presidency?

2. lovemychris profile image76

Wow...I cannot relate to you at all...we are not even in the same zip code.
        Good luck with Romney av.

I hope he loses, but I'm not dealing with such deriding of a man that has done nothing to deserve it anymore.

Here I thought "Pot-Smoking, draft-dodging philanderer in chief" (Clinton), and "Red-diaper doper babies" (Liberals) was bad enough.....

You cons take the cake on Obama....it's over my top.

First, I am not for Romney, but I will vote for him long before I would ever vote for Obama. Second, even if Romney wins and the economy comes back, he will be one and done. The republicans will not let him get another term, they will replace him

11. lovemychris profile image76

When has the white house called anyone a racist? Usually I see Obama called one.

How about the DC police officer Obama called racist

12. handymanbill profile image75
    handymanbillposted 11 years ago

Everything that Obama does between now and election will be for a political reason. Or a least to make him look good for the press. That is typical of every elected official that has ever run for an office.

13. maxoxam41 profile image65
    maxoxam41posted 11 years ago

Let's say that they are more committed to not let the new oil wells found and to Afghanistan 's oil production to run smoothly!

14. lovemychris profile image76

I am sure there was nothing behind the use of the word "forward" by Obama other than he is referencing forward to another term.

But if there is anything to what is pointed out in the article, i am sure Obama will drop it from his ads going forward

15. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

There was no legitimate reason for Obama to burn hundreds of gallons of fuel to go to Afghanistan to meet with Karzai.....

As usual, this is political posturing.... and there is no change in what is going on between our two countries.... THEY (the Afghanis) have us (stupid politicos like Obama and many others in Congress) sending them a fortune in USofA MONEY that they have NO INTENTION of spending on useful benefits for their country... and WE (read: "Obama and the other idiots who have the mechanism to SPEND/SEND these mega-bucks) are stupid enough to believe that there is some benefit to sending those precious dollars to these lying, deceitful scum... when, in fact, they are part of a system that is taking our money and then using it to wage a form of WAR against us!!!!!

STUPID????? You bet.... BUT please name ONE politician - in Washington, or elsewhere - who has guts enough to say "Enough, Karzai... I've had it with your lying, thieving ways.... and I'm prepared to eliminate ALL moneys sent to you... and use them IN THE USofA, America.... for OUR benefit... and you, lying, thieving Afghani that you are... are ON YOUR OWN for the future....."

Anyone want to lay bets that neither Obama, nor any so-called President/politician/statesman who follows him with do this??????

16. lovemychris profile image76

I don't know....I kind of like it that girls can go to school now. And that was started under Bush.
    Kind of used to like when Laura Bush mentioned the freedoms women have there now, that they didn't before.

It's just the stupid posturing and rah rah-ness that I can do without.

and the nagging "knowledge" that we are really there for oil resources and heroine?

1. ackman1465 profile image60
      ackman1465posted 11 years agoin reply to this

LMC:  Let's see how many of the young girls in Afghanistan are attending legitimate schools once the USofA troops are out of the picture.  I, for one, don't believe - for a minute - that Karzai and those other Islamic creeps are intending to let their land become even on bit more like real Western democracies, wherein women have even a modest chance of living as they SHOULD be allowed.....

Well, I know...but I just always remembered this exchange that was on...C-Span! It was a panel discussion on Iraq/Afghanistan with Democracy Now...

anyway, all the panelists were slamming the "war", and this guy in the military got up and said, "You all sit here and condemn...you don't know all the good stuff we are doing over there."...

It just made me stop and think, that's all. Does it out-weight the mess and all the dead people in the 1st place?? No, probly not.

I just would like to know all sides, and know the truth...as un-likely as that is ever to be.

Chris:  These people are only semi-civilized, at best!!!  They have had US of A military people there for 10 years.    They had RUSSIAN military people there in the 1980's..... They are uneducated, uncivilized, and unwashed cretins who have not understanding of what you and I call "basic human rights".... THEY buy in to an extreme "religious" theocracy wherein there are Mullahs (those are old men in dresses!!!) who tell people how to live their lives, every day of their lives.... AND they tell those people to live in accordance with the "Koran" .... which is a fairy-tale - much like the Christian "Bible".... wherein they interpret what they CLAIM this guy "Allah" told people to do, and how to live their lives... and it is supressive, mysogynistic, and aggressive.... and you think they will give even a little bit to make life fairer and easier to those who they are able to supress??? (read:  women!!!!).....

Please don't be naive.... the regime in Afghanistan is like any/all others in the Middle East.... these "leaders" are uncivilized, testosterone-driven freaks who believe that the entire WORLD (as they know it) is to be exploited to THEIR advantage.... AND, as long as they have available the might or military resources, they are going to continue "the ways" which have been in-place for the last several hundred years....

We Westerners should understand that and let these marginally-civilized sorts work it out amongst themselves... .and if/when they finally have decimated one-another... and express wishes to begin to move to a CIVILIZED existence ... then - and only then - and with MANY caveats - shouid the Western/modern/civilized world agree to CONSIDER them for inclusion.....

But what are we getting from them?

WE aren't getting a damn thing!!!!  WHAT are we giving to them???? MILLIONS of your's and my tax dollars.....  Is THAT worth it????

Cripes, let's give it to the Mexicans and ask them to improve their roads....

I think we're getting drug money...or someone is. Big whigs using our military. That's what I think.

17. ackman1465 profile image60
    ackman1465posted 11 years ago

Chris:  Do you REALLY believe that those who are raising poppies, for opium production, are sharing that with us????? I don't THINK SO!!!!

18. lovemychris profile image76

"As we emerge from a decade of conflict abroad and economic crisis at home, it’s time to renew America — an America where our children live free from fear and have the skills to claim their dreams. A united America of grit and resilience, where sunlight glistens off soaring new towers in downtown Manhattan, and we build our future as one people, as one nation."

--President Obama

http://www.veteransnewsnow.com/2012/05/ … ghanistan/

Nice words.  Let's see if he can live by them.....

1. profile image0

If you think he believes any of those words, I have a nice, shiny arch in St. Louis I'd like to sell ya. Cheap, I promise.

19. lovemychris profile image76

HA!

Dear @AOL/@HuffingtonPost: Why are you a member of ALEC, the group behind "Stand Your Ground" laws + voter suppression? http://thkpr.gs/J1R5oD

Obama supporter my patooty! ALEC is at war with him.

and Ariana always has been too. Cannot go from right to left on a dime......it's WHO you are!

she's a stooge. imo

No matter how much you have your temper tantrum, yell and scream from the rafters, the links above prove hands down she is an Obama supporter and in her column which is the last link, she endorses him and that was 2 weeks ago.

I do not know if AOL is a member of ALEC and could care less. But that is her BOSS, she is not responsible for what they do.

20. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

I heard the US economy is slowly improving...

Does that mean if Romney wins he will credit the previous President for improvements in the economy or will he and the Republicans claim it was all their doing?

Un,
      If you listen to President Obama, the economy is slowly improving. If you look at the facts and economic numbers, that is not happening.

Sorry, i take the word of financialw experts here in Canada.

2. profile image0
      Onusonusposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lol, Nope!

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/523350_10150835799470896_256566055895_9633254_776556024_n.jpg

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LFPR is affected by other factor i e., not looking for work. So that you can have a good grasp of what is really happening, take a look at this http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

The economy is improving (through economic labor force indicators) but sluggish.

21. lovemychris profile image76

"A secretive right-wing group, Veterans For A Strong America, is attempting to do to President Obama what the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth did to Sen. John Kerry in 2004. And they aren’t shy about it. The group’s leader and sole employee, Joel Arends, told Mother Jones, “Yes, it’s the swift boating of the president.”

They are trying to "make his strength his weakness"....Rove tactic. As in getting Bin Laden was bad. 

I'd say the R's here on HP get all the memos!

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2012/ … g-america/

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)