Have anyone else's Google earnings been annihilated?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (43 posts)
  1. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 11 years ago

I know there have been a lot of changes in the air in the past 10 or so days...  There was another big Panda update... then the stinkin' Penguin and all.  And, HP has been tinkering around with the design of pages.

My traffic has remained relatively constant through it all.  But, over the past 2 days my Google earnings have been A-N-N-I-H-I-L-A-T-E-D!  If it continues, this will be the first month in a long time I won't make payout.  My Amazon earnings are fine, thank God!

I'm trying to determine the cause here.  Doesn't seem likely it's any of Google's various zoo animal updates since my traffic is steady.  As such, I'm suspecting HP's new page design since the decrease in earnings happened right when the redesign was implemented. I realize it's only been a few days of horrendous Google earnings, so it's difficult to jump to any truly rational conclusions.  However, this NEVER happens, so I'm concerned and baffled.

One note:  I'm one of the few hubbers who doesn't use HP ads.  So, I'm wondering if that isn't part of the problem.  I'm wondering if the page redesign is not conducive to those of us who've opted out of HP ads. 

I don't know the cause, I really don't.  But, I'm curious if anyone else is experiencing this substantial decrease in Google earnings.

1. Lisa HW profile image62
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My earnings have been bad over the last couple of days too.  Really bad.   I complicated things in April, though, because after not using HP ads for a long time I decided to "sacrifice my earnings" at the beginning of the month just to see what HP ads might do these days (now that there's been talk about things that "should increase" them).   The earnings on them at the beginning of April was super-dismal (like a quarter/fifth of what I'd seen when I first tried them).  Anyway, I switched back to Ad Sense only but had lost a couple of weeks (I think) because of trying HP ads.

I've just been thinking that my - like - $3 a day has been my something I've done or am doing.   I'm just  going to take what comes, wait it out, and be a little freer to just write what I feel like writing when the mood strikes.  (There's something good about having less to lose.  smile )

What I've been thinking (even before the last few days) has been that more and more people may be aiming to write more "formal" Hubs than I write.  I'm seeing better and better looking Hubs on here; and again, I use an informal approach.  The more formal-looking Hubs may look better but don't always have all that much unique information/insight in them; but if "professional looking" is what's wanted on here, I can see how I'd see a drop (that's for sure).

A lot of my stuff is written from first-person experience.  I specifically choose to write in the first-person because I don't want to mislead readers into thinking what I'm offering is more than that (and any research I happened to do unrelated to the specific article).  Neither do I want anyone thinking, "Well, there's no citations of research here, so how does this person know the information she's presenting?  Answer:  She doesn't."   So I throw in the first-person to make sure people know where what I'm offering comes from. 

Then, though, to balance off some of the "heavier" subjects, I'll throw in some attempts at lighter ones (none of which are likely to get a lot of traffic).  So basically, I've just been assuming that lower (and now very low) earnings are the direction things will go for someone who writes the kind of Hubs that I do.  I can either increase their volume (not sure I want to do that to the extent that I'd have to); or else be happy with the traffic and earnings I do get here (and the traffic is still sort of OK, considering) but stop thinking I'll be seeing hundreds of dollars a month any longer.

Based on the times I've tried HP ads, they weren't working as well for me as Ad Sense only.  I like the new look.  I think it looks a lot less "crappy" and a lot less like "typical, visual-overload, all-ads Internet stuff"; and I can't help thinking that it may pay off for HubPages in the long run.

In the past, whenever I've suddenly seen a $3 day I usually know that my stuff has been copied/stolen.  I haven't even bothered to look (yet again) this time.

wordscribe43posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I definitely know what you mean, Lisa.  I've been "stuck" thinking about what hub I want to write next.  Just last night I had the same thought:  ehhh... screw it.  I'm not going to worry so much about my topics, if I feel inclined/moved to write something, then so be it.

Ah, yes:  "Screw It".   That's the phrase that kind of sums up what I said above but  in such "un-succinct" way.   lol

Honestly.  I just think that it may be better to just sit and whip up a 900-word Hub off the top off my head (opinion, essay, whatever) without thinking about trying to incorporate "useful" (even if indirectly or in some less than obvious way than "plain, old, information" is useful) into it; and just writing up a storm of Hubs that add to the volume and would be a lot less draining to write.   lol

2. Jamie Brock profile image91
      Jamie Brockposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For the past year, my earnings on AdSense have been very low and inconsistent with an occasional (very occasional) spike of maybe a dollar or two.....I guess because I am doing the Ad Program here? I have been doing pretty good with the HP Ad Program but my earnings have dipped quite a bit here, too sad

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I assume you opted not to use HP Ads because you were doing better with Adsense?

Maybe now's the time to switch HP Ads back on, at least for the short term while the layout experiments are going on.  If you applied for HP Ads before, you don't have to apply again - just activate them.

Yeah, maybe.  I hate to, though.  I've done better with Adsense alone than with HP ads, so it scares me to turn them back on.  I'm going to give it a bit more time to see if this is more of a permanent trend, then I will reevaluate.  I think it's just too soon to tell.

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

This is a shot in the dark, but the timing appears to coincide.

excerpt of email from adsense:

"We will stop serving ads to anyone using the AdSense for mobile high-end ad code today, May 1, 2012. We would like to remind you that if you use that high-end ad code, you will need to upgrade your ad code to the appropriate sizes within AdSense for content."

I have no idea if this is the cause; I just thought I'd post it in case.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Paradigm - I don't know what mobile high-end ad code means.  Can you clarify?  I'm hoping my lack of info means I'm not guilty of committing it.

3. Diane Woodson profile image61
    Diane Woodsonposted 11 years ago

This is interesting since I got an email from a guy named Travis S. well it said that I had earnings but it did not mention Hub or anything like that. I still think it has something to do with what we are all doing here and it came in this morning of all times, on a Friday when people are paid....Have you heard of him? Has anyone on Hubpages heard of him? I am hoping to be paid for what he is refering to but have no idea of whats going on since I have only been a hubber for a little over a week....Good luck and lets all track down those earnings!!

I haven't heard of him.  You probably already know (but maybe don't) that in order to earn and be paid on here and/or by Google you have to have your affiliate codes entered into your account.,   If you've done that correctly you'll see exactly what you're earning in either your HP ad sense earnings report (in your account) or else in your Ad Sense account.  If you have writing somewhere else online, sites that pay you through PayPal would have required your PayPal e.mail address.  Ad Sense earnings all go through Google Ad Sense, so unless you didn't post your Ad Sense code on some other site you've written on, that would cover all Ad Sense sites.

People aren't paid on Fridays on here.  There's a good chance the e.mailer just wants you to think you have earnings, follow up with the e.mail, and then give info that will lead to your being scammed.

This site (and other writing sites) don't send e.mails to tell you have earnings.  They just show your earnings in your account and pay you when the time comes to pay you.

Since you're new you may not be familiar enough with what people are saying about decreased earnings.  They aren't being lost or buried somewhere.  They're either actually decreasing or else (and this isn't the most likely problem) they're being cut into if someone posts an earning Hub somewhere else, gets it to rank higher in search engines, and ends up earning the money from it.  When that's that the case, they are buried or lost.  They're just not earned in the first place.  hmm  In all likelihood, though, that's not the case.  It's more likely that a lot of changes that have been going on with Google and HubPages have sent some people's earnings into a "tizzy" (either temporarily or permanently).   smile

Welcome to HubPages, though.  Even with the ups and downs people can still earn with the right kind of Hubs - so don't let any of this discourage you.

2. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Scam alert! 

Don't click on anything in the e-mail. Research, research, research before you do anything about it at all.  If it's not about HubPages, where exactly do the earnings come from? 

Does he mention anything about a million pounds being deposited in a bank in Nigeria? 

or about some money you need to send before the earnings are released?

or about overpaying you some amount and you reimbursing them/him for the balance?

4. fiftyish profile image60
    fiftyishposted 11 years ago

I've been using Google AdSense quite successfully for over 7 years. In actual fact, it's been my primary source of income.  But on Sunday October 14, 2011, my little empire of hand build websites crashed, never to recover.  Since then I've been making a few pounds £££ daily, but after the recent Penguin update it's almost gone altogether and all I'm getting is loose change.

Google are snapping up online businesses monthly thus removing any competition to them. They will soon own cyberspace and control everything and everyone that get's found in it IMO.

They say their updates are to improve search results, but no one is buying that. They are monopolising internet search and a lot of their own products and services (many or which people don't know are owned by Mr G), are listed on first page search results.

Search for 'new shoes' on Google. Surely a searcher is looking for an online store where they can browse and potentially buy 'new shoes', but what do we get at the #1 slot?  A YouTube video for a song about New Shoes! Oh yeah, and Google owns YouTube, and Skype, and a zillion other businesses that don't carry their name directly

Andy Aitch

1. Diane Woodson profile image61
      Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wow I did not know any of this and love my gmail to death but no company should own all of cyberspace in my opinion, that is.

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
      Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup - they are getting rid of the little people. But Microsoft owns Skype I think. Either way - the space to make money online just shrunk somewhat.

Adapt or die. sad

And yes - adsense annihilated.

1. fiftyish profile image60
        fiftyishposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I stand corrected Mark you're right, Skype is owned by Microsoft. 

Nevertheless, Mr G is snapping up online companies (threats), at an alarming rate. Only 2 months ago there was a documentary on Al-Jazeera ( I think), called 'Google's Web'.

Here's a list of what they currently own, and it''s growing almost weekly:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ac … _by_Google

Andy

3. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

fiftyish, You just might be right. I'm finding searches with YouTube Videos showing up first often. We need to find another source of traffic, but what?

5. starme77 profile image79
    starme77posted 11 years ago

um I dont think wo - the internet is way bigger than skype and google - seriously - there are people that dont even use em - there are a ton of other search engines out there google is just popular to a certain group right now kinda like nike shoes when I was a kid -

6. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 11 years ago

Exactly the same thing has happened to me!  My traffic is steady but in the last two days my Google Adsense earnings have fallen away big time!  Was assuming it was just a coincidence and no one has been clicking, maybe it is something else.  I like you don't use HubAds I just have Adsense running as it always seems to have worked better for me.  I'm slightly worried now!

Yes, I'm slightly worried, too.  It's not showing any signs of improvement today, either.  So this is the third straight day of it for me.  I must say this never happens, either.  I wish I could get a grasp on what's happening here.  There are so many variables to take into consideration right now.  So many changes have all converged at about the same time.  Ugh... sorry you're in the same boat, Andy.

1. andyoz profile image87
        andyozposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It may just be a coincidence, 1st and 2nd of the month my earnings were excellent, yesterday for the amount of page views I got they were low, so far today they are again low.  i think it would have to continue for a few more days before I really panic.  Maybe it's just a low CPC and CTR I have had for two days.  A few big clicks and I would probably be back to normal. 

If it does continue, I will just switch to HubAds, should not be the end of the world.  As long as mypage views remain constant I should be fine.

2. Lisa HW profile image62

I just looked at my "today" earnings.  Let''s just say that the Google day is still young.  Who knows....  It's not looking any better today, though. 

Something that occurred to me, though, is that last week I had some real weird deal go on with my earnings.  The source of the traffic/clicks (I was too tired to pay much attention) was some anti-virus URL.  So one day I had my earnings jump to over $20 (and thought life was getting back to the way it once was).  My curiosity was peaked, though, so I kept checking back.  First it dropped  by a few dollars, then shortly after, by more, and that went on until it was down to "the pits".  There day before that there had been something like that, but not as dramatic happen.  The day after, the earnings were dramatically up and down before they eventually settled to "way down".  I just figured Google was catching whoever/whatever was doing it.  Other people may have had this kind of thing tons of times.  I never have.  Even the difference in "estimated" versus "real" (or whatever) at the end of the month is - like - within a dollar or so.

So, wishful thinking (and ignorant) as this may be, I can't help but wonder if, maybe, Google's working on cleaning up whatever went on some spree a few days ago; and if, maybe, they have everything on some kind of "hold" for now.  Also, though, I wondered if some "automated deal" "thinks" I've done something "funny",and I'm being penalized for that...   hmm

I tend to assume it's just Panda or some other thing like that, but the timing has made me wonder...

Something else I'm wondering about (although it isn't like my earnings have been all that great before the last couple of days either) is whether switching a bunch of Hubs (maybe most of them) to have pictures on top might have destroyed me.  I had some that had pictures at the top before, but I've usually put smaller pictures off to a top corner.  After seeing something like "readers seem to like Hubs that lead with an image/picture" (my words, not an exact quote), I thought I'd change a bunch.  The Hubs look better, but I did wonder if it was disastrous to make people scroll down to get to text.  Besides, since my subjects don't lend themselves well to images the images I have (if I have them at all) are - like - flowers.  I'm thinking that was probably a giant mistake.  It's one thing to have a big image on a food Hub.  I think it's another on a Hub about something about a subject that really doesn't seem right with so much emphasis being placed on an image.

I may give it a couple of days and then, most likely, go back to my original thing of a small image or no image at all on whatever existing Hubs I have.

2. Diane Woodson profile image61
      Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have been ion Hubpages for about 2 weeks, Your words there are causing me to worry too. I have an 85 rating which I am not sure still what it means, are people on the internet reading what I write or just people on HUB adsense and etc....I am needing to make money writing, and want to stay here and get started. I enjoy Hub pages allot.

7. Xenonlit profile image61
    Xenonlitposted 11 years ago

Since I'm getting credit for less than half my views, something like 47%, what's the point to being here anyway? What happened to 60/40? I mean 60/40 is still being advertised as the share.

Now I'm hearing all kinds of garbage about why it's only 47%. The excuses are just made up out of nowhere, too.

I just crossed the 10,000 view point and this has been a terrible thing to find out.

As for my May pay? It's been frozen at the same number for two days now.

Let me go and earn some real money.

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where did you hear that the author's share is anything other than 60%? That's not true; it is always 60%. Any sharing for traffic- or  signup-referrers is taken out of HubPages's 40% share, not the author's share.

1. PegCole17 profile image93
        PegCole17posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jason, What is the method for tracking referral revenue? I can't seem to get this information anywhere. Can you direct me?
        Peg

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
          Jason Menayanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There's no way to track referral *revenue* but you can track referral *impressions* here:
          https://hubpages.com/my/earnings/trackers

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

Since the switch to sub-domains, I'm seeing my referral revenue on Adsense.

2. AEvans profile image73
      AEvansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Where did you hear that? I have never heard 47%? HP has always been honest about the split and mine still shows 60/40. I would say writing on different sites creates more revenue, I know I am all over the place; but HP is the only site that is really generating money that you can actually collect on each month. I have a couple of blogs that do well; but again HP is the only place where we can ride a Roller Coaster and still enjoy the ride and talk about how fun it was. Hang in there its Google not HP and we are going through another pandemic smile

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

What Google earnings?? I check maybe once a month!

I use the HP ads, maybe you should give it a try, wordscribe.

9. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 11 years ago

Well just logged on this morning and my Google earnings ended up shooting up after bedtime last night.  So wasn't a bad day after all.  So maybe it was just a bit of bad luck.

10. profile image0
    mariexotoniposted 11 years ago

You guys should post a petition on change.org

11. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

I was not amused by hpad's Saturday CPM. It's beginning to look like the advertisers don't want to fork over the bucks on weekends any more...

12. wordscribe43 profile image90

Well... it's official!  I'm a victim of the 4/27 Panda update.  I wasn't sure at first, but now I'm positive.  I've now lost 40% of my traffic.  Am am freaking out?  No...  I'm just going to keep doing my thing and writing the best hubs I possibly can.  I will be keeping a keen eye on any information rolled out about the new update and what I can do to fix my "issues". 

My daughter has a Panda Bear pillow pet hat.  So, I AM considering popping that baby on my head, snapping a picture and making it my new avatar, however.  wink

Hang in there, fellow hubbers.

That's the important thing.  You can't recover from Panda by adding new content, because your Panda score is based on your "worst" Hubs - which means if you don't change them, your score won't improve.

I noticed a couple of things about your Hubs, which may be clutching at straws - but since you've got a fairly small account, it wouldn't hurt to change them and see what happens.

One is that Google dislikes words repeated in the title, because that can be a sign of keyword stuffing.  You have unusually long titles (that could be a problem too), and sometimes you do use the same word twice.

The other is that Google no longer likes too many ads "above the fold".  I've put a photo in the top right hand corner now, to force that top ad down a bit.  By the way, I'm not sure I agree with HubPages recommendation to start with a full-width photo - readers may like it, but it gives the robots nothing to read 'above the fold', which could be a really bad thing!

Thanks, Marisa.  I've been thinking these exact things, have been putting photos on the top.  Funny you mention that about the titles, I noticed that just this morning when I was trying to take an objective look at my hubs.  I need to adjust those FOR SURE.  I appreciate your taking the time to look!!!  It's crazy how quickly things are changing, it truly is.  I'm glad I don't have more than 100 hubs to edit, that's for sure.

2. wordscribe43 profile image90

Alright... I give up trying to figure out what's going on.  My traffic is now returning!  I just need to wait this out before I make any proclamations.

It looks a bit like you and I are on opposite sides of a seesaw!

13. Will Apse profile image89
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

I almost always open with a photo but I keep it shallow so the visitor can see the beginning of the article without scrolling. I want those visitors to become readers.

14. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Suddenly my Google adsense has returned. This applies to my own websites and to the direct payment from Hubs.
    I am starting to think that these ups and downs on adsense payments are caused by delays with Google distributing the funds rather than ratings for sites. You often see a couple of bad days followed by an unusual high peak. This happened over the last week. I think we may need to factor in these delays before implementing knee-jerk reactions and changing our hubs.

1. ThunderKeys profile image64
      ThunderKeysposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My ad-sense revenue is way up. I think it's all about the Google Penguin basics!

Great short article and Matt Cutts videos explaining the new do's and don'ts of not getting Penguin swatted:

http://tinyurl.com/bwaby5w

15. wordscribe43 profile image90

Here's the thing... my traffic is back to normal.  But, my adsense earnings are about 1/3 of what they normally are.  Penguin or Panda doesn't explain that.  I have a lot of hubs with the new design, though.  I tend to write about topics that are in the testing phase with the new design.  I can't say with 100% certainty the new design is the issue, but it's certainly one of my hypotheses.

16. skyfire profile image78
    skyfireposted 11 years ago

Adsense earnings on my own domains are fine. My adsense earning on HP went totally down last year. Now HP ad program is making up for it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)