Is this source something to worry about?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (25 posts)
  1. lobobrandon profile image89
    lobobrandonposted 11 years ago

I recently got a spike on one of my hubs. It was doing pretty ok fetching me around 50 views a day. But suddenly an excess of 54 views from ak.facebook.c*m

I wonder if its just one more of the facebook type of bots. I checked if my work is copied and it's safe. So, any views as to what this could be? If its something legit I'll be the happiest! Never heard of these type of subdomains on FB though

2. LeanMan profile image80
    LeanManposted 11 years ago

There have been a few forum threads about spikes of traffic from facebook in the form of some sort of "bot" in the last few months and I have seen it a few times on various of my hubs getting 50+ visits in one burst.
    I have no idea what it is but it does not seem to have done any harm, and from memory the previous posts all said not to worry....

Unless anyone else knows different....

lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've got those boosts too. But mine were in the 30's happened to me twice. I remember Izzy got some in the hundreds. But, those were from Facebook.c*m and not ak.facebook.c*m and that's why I asked to know if anyone else got them or if they know what the ak.... means. (I googled it and all I got was ad.ak.facebook.c*m

Somethings wrong I usually get between 300-400 views per day and in the past 3 mins already got 60 views from just 2 people! Using real time analytics

Here's the analytics report and the views are still coming in by the tens!
          http://s2.hubimg.com/u/6586053.png

14 mins later (These too are from ak.Facebook.c*m but are on another hub!)

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6586091.png

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Are they actual views from those individuals, or did they perhaps link to your hub with a referral code?   The spike I had (which was a malicious, automated attack that hit several of us) produced about 7,000 hits to one hub in just a few hours.  I unpublished it for a few days to stop the traffic.  The number of hits you mention sounds more like someone shared your hub?  But I'm no expert.

Nope it's definately not a share. It's just 5 individuals that were on at that particular time and each of them on different hubs. They're viewing the slideshows now and at that time it should have been just 7 views as they went to other pages and I was keeping a close watch. At present got 2 visitors and the views are still coming in; but, slower. Oh it's increasing pace again.

Waiting for the hourly stats to refresh to get some more info from HP as to which is the one being attacked

My best hub is the one with the massive view count. I keep a close watch on this hub and I can see it's got 2 more likes on FB. Could that be the source?? I hope its going viral if its a legit source as there are more views coming in. Oh wow! the maps being flooded and I reached a new high of traffic. I'm going to be pis**d off if these are those idiotic bots!

4. lobobrandon profile image89

Now my questions are getting views too!! The average weekly views are around 5 and in the past 10 mins already 20 views on different questions. Hmm should I deactivate my adsense as a precaution?

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think the AK Facebook thing is a problem. I've seen a few of them on Analytics. Sounds like you have something going viral, just sit back and enjoy the ride smile

Only disable Adsense if you see you are getting clicks, and more clicks than you would expect for the number of views - ie getting 50 clicks on 2 views, or something.

Oh I so hope its going viral smile But, views are coming on all hubs now. But those 2 are getting the max. Just crossed 550 views in the past 24 hrs. 200 past my max ever. Checked my adsense 15 mins back 0 clicks so I'm happy big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

Oh well, maybe there has been another Google 'flux' and your whole subdomain has received a boost. Brilliant!!

Wish it would happen to me sad

No the source is saying direct.. And the views are coming from all over the US and east Africa out in the sea (No country)

1. IzzyM profile image87

Odd. Keep us up to date with what is happening.

Yup I will, it's 1am and I'm getting just organic traffic now and I can see the search terms again - am I happy that my traffic decreased big_smile

Since it's the next day I checked my analytics - average visit duration is way low!! Just 39 secs against approx of 2mins. Bounce rate is fairly constant surprisingly.

Will check out the stats in the morn next.

Oh and my graph just got a big jump making everything else look tiny sad lol

The HP Ad program hasn't updated right for the 8th? Or is it just me? Because usually there are hundreds of threads once its later than usual

2. Pearldiver profile image68
              Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

See if you can get an accurate fix on that marine site, because that really is a bit suspicious!  It is likely to be the kids at the Atlantis hydroponics school searching for new ways to grow tomatoes underwater... or if you can see a periscope... it's Borat mucking around again in his submarine seeking out new movie ideas for his followup to The Dictator! smile

Either way... you're famous now and your autograph can make a few bucks on ebay! big_smile

Well done mate!

5. CASE1WORKER profile image60
    CASE1WORKERposted 11 years ago

I had this a few weeks ago and again on Sunday night- last time it was the amazon bots- I did e mail HP and they said not to worry just look for changes in click patterns which is what I did
    I had it on my second account  during the last eight hours as well! Oh yes and on Monday I had the AK facebook hits- 80 on one hub!

Oh so I'm not alone that's good to hear and I've got 80 on a hub too and another 75 on another - both my best performing hubs that too! But then views were everywhere even upto page 2 of my hubtivity acc to real time analytics.

6. lobobrandon profile image89

One thing is for sure, it wasn't a bot as those views counted in the impressions. But, I guess they made no diff at all. The CPM was 50% lower and so even though the impressions were huge the earnings were just my 3rd highest ever not too good for that many impressions smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

I'm just checking my HP Ad earnings just now, and it looks to me like they have made a mistake.
      My CPM is way low (those things happen!), but my impressions are reading double what they should be.
      I expect them to drop when their final tally comes in, and with any luck CPM will rise a bit.

Hmm, even the 7th CPM was low compared to the usual; but, the 8th was too low. Maybe my views will drop too - who knows! Will have to wait and see then big_smile

1. IzzyM profile image87

I just checked all my user names and the earnings seem to be about normal, but it is the same across the board - CPM too low, and impressions too high.

I'm sure they'll sort it, but earnings will likely be right even if the other figures are off.

ok smile thanks for checking and letting me know big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)