Looking for love from Google!

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. PaulGoodman67 profile image94
    PaulGoodman67posted 11 years ago

Okay, after 10 days of farting around and squabbling in the forums, killing time while I waited for Google to do a U-turn and restore my traffic (which it didn't do), I took a deep breath and went through all my hubs and did some general editing.  Nothing magical, or too drastic.  I sorted out dead links, toned down anything that I thought might be interpreted as keyword stuffing, made general improvements etc.  It took me about 3 days to get through the 200 hubs on and off.  I guess it will be a few more days before I will know if my work has had any positive effects - nothing to make me smile so far.

If this lean period carries on, I might have to look at opening another HP account...  Till then I am generally focusing the bulk of my attention elsewhere...

1. WorkAtHomeMums profile image85
      WorkAtHomeMumsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have started doing the same but I'm feeling I'm wasting my time.

PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I know, it might be futile.  The best hope might be another Google update.  I find it difficult to not do anything though and to be honest, I did find some problems that I am glad that I discovered.  The problem in the post-panda world is that just a few bad hubs can bring down your whole profile.

2. CMHypno profile image82
      CMHypnoposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Take it from someone who has been tweaking since August, it may be more productive to set up a second account or writing elsewhere for a while.  It's probably not a good idea to have all your eggs in one basket anyway, and you'll do your head in constantly looking at those hubs and trying to figure it out day after day.

Though I still go through obsessive bouts of tweaking, I now try to do other writing projects (have just finished first draft of my book).

It sucks and it makes you feel powerless, so I hope that you wake up tomorrow with lots of red arrows smile

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A note to outsiders. Red arrows are a good thing here. big_smile

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image94

Well, I've been writing in other places for over a year.  Some of my other sites get more views, but HP does well for earnings.

I am not terribly surprised that my HP was hit, but it's still irritating.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
          Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should check this SEO blog out - SEO Tips - they have "straightforward tips for people with blogs and websites who want them to to perform better with search engines like Google."

Maybe they can help? big_smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Actually, if you were hit by Panda, it will be more than a few days.  Panda is run about once a month.  If you get hit by one Panda, you have to wait for the next one to find out if you've fixed whatever.  That's my understanding anyway.

(Note for those who don't know:  there's a difference between a Panda update and Panda.  A Panda update is when the Panda algorithm is changed in some way.  The Panda algorithm is run about once a month and gives your whole sub-domain a score (based on its poorest elements), which affects how all your individual Hubs perform in Google search results.

4. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Give it more than a few days. It can take a little time for Google's searchbot to re-crawl your pages. It's usually happens sooner if you have Google fetch your updated pages through Webmaster Tools, but I doubt you want to copy and paste 200 URLs. Good luck. Hope it all works out for you.

Thanks.  I actually did the work on Sat, Sun, Mon.  I recovered from my last sudden traffic drop after about a week.  But as Marrisa says, it could take weeks, or months.  Or this account might never recover!

2. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

200 hubs in 3 days is amazing! smile

I only edit/tweak/update maybe 3 hubs a day. Sometimes a little more. Many times, none.

3. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

Amen to that, Paul! I keep changing things and my traffic goes up, then back down, then up again. I've decided to just wait things out for a bit and see what happens. It seems like every time I begin making money, big G does another update.... pandas, penguins, whatever black and white animal they call it. I wonder who decides the names of the algo changes?

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
    Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

Panda was named after the person who created it. I have no idea about penguin, someone who wanted to frustrate writers I think created that one...

I did the same thing Paul. I went through all my hubs and did the editing and put lead pictures on most of them and I have to say I'm now getting a few more hits per day, I have lots of red arrows, but those arrows show up if you get one view on a hub that hasn't had traffic in awhile. I found those red arrows mean jack. The blue ones however...

I think hubpages will now just be a secondary site where I can write fun articles. I went over to another site that I haven't done much with and posted an article yest. It got 105 views in 24 hours. I don't know what the deal is, but since the traffic is there, AND I get a bonus for each article I publish,that's where I'm going to concentrate my efforts. I've also just started writing for an ezine that has the potential to become a paying gig. As of right now, I get free advertising through it. Every little bit helps!

I was actually thinking of pulling some of my articles from here and posting them on the other site. I just don't know if I want to do that yet. I'll ait it out a bit longer I guess.

1. SandyMcCollum profile image63
      SandyMcCollumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ah, thank you Daughter of Maat, now I know at least one of the name origins. wink

The Penguin algo change is also named after the person who invented it.  He was the sworn enemy of Batman, but now works for Google.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
          Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Right.... So hubs on Danny De Vito should Rank Higher than those hubs on Commissioner Gordon's nocturnal habits? smile

5. LucidDreams profile image65
    LucidDreamsposted 11 years ago

Currently I am just waiting it out. I decided to split my time between many projects after Panda. I was starting to see a decent income from Hubpages so this is frustrating but all the more reason to make sure that my eggs are in many baskets.

We could spend countless hours tweaking hubs only to get killed by another update. I am a very optimistic person by nature but these constant Google updates are a real drag!

6. Pearldiver profile image67
    Pearldiverposted 11 years ago

Everyone Relax....

I have had 100 advertising flyers delivered to the Limp Lily Retirement Park which stated that they could all get their teeth back only after visiting Hub Pages, between potty breaks, for the next six weeks! 

WooHoo!!!

I bet with excitement like that... Mr. Trustmeornot will vigorously fondle his mouse for a least a month! smile

So... yeah.. with dedicated readers like these guys... who needs Google Love huh?

Thanks PD, these people sound like just the sort of customers that I need!  smile

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image93
        Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lmao very nice. Luciddreams makes a good point. Maybe this is the kick in the pants we all needed to make sure we're spreading out and not keeping all of our eggs in the hubpages basket. Like she said, I was seeing a decent income from hubpages, and now I'm back to where I was 5 months ago. It may not be so bad to look at other options. It may benefit our bank accounts in the long run. big_smile I hope...

I still love writing though. I just went outside into my backyard (we live in the sticks on a pond), and it renewed my motviation for writing because I remembered that I have to make this writing thing work in order to stay in our home. No matter what google does... And I just got the house organized the way I want it, I'm not ready to move! lol

1. WorkAtHomeMums profile image85
          WorkAtHomeMumsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Has anyone else realised that the summary being used by google in search results is not the summary we put on our hubs....it used to be.
          Not that my hubs are showing up at all, but if I do a search for my complete hub URL I can see it (no idea what page it is on). Maybe this is the cause of our hubs missing in action.

2. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You're most welcome Paul smile

Having a captive audience is important during tough times and greater success can always be achieved if you are able to regularly engage your readers, as you know! smile

Besides, the Limp Lily Retirement Park manager who used to be a policeman, admits that he enjoys seeing the residents without their teeth and that he gets a lot of pleasure training their dentures to 'follow' when he whistles! big_smile

Hopefully any clicks you get will be genuine and not oral mishaps! smile

7. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I know Google wants to have quality on the search engine roll
    but I wish they'd remove all the outdated stuff I come across daily!

8. LucidDreams profile image65

If you are working on changing things to help get a little more search engine love from Google, consider using Attracta to re-submit sitemaps and save yourself a little work.

9. paradigmsearch profile image61
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

"Looking for love from Google!"

Every time I see this forum title, I think...

"Looking for love in all the wrong places..."

"Playing a fools game, hoping to win... "

"Telling those sweet lies and losing again..."

10. LucidDreams profile image65

How about........."tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies (Google), tell me lies"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)