Oddball Question...

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (30 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I have in mind an article that is a serious criticism and warning of a certain well-known online site because they do things that are egregious violations of privacy.

I would prefer totally un-related ads on that article.  In my corporate greed series, Google picked up on the keywords and placed ads for exactly the things I was writing against!  I don't want that to happen; I don't want any person to think I am giving that site "props" or promoting them in any way.

So---if I don't use the name of the site, but make "transparently oblique"  references to it, (yes, I know--that's an oxymoron of sorts) and use dodges such as
    c r e a t i n g   e x t r a   s p a c e s  between letters in some words, will that keep Google from recognizing what I am talking about, (and thereby place unrelated ads) while still keeping it readable for the audience? 

(I'd probably write a short intro paragraph to explain that to readers, so they would not think the piece was full of poor typing errors.)

What say you all?

1. Diane Woodson profile image59
      Diane Woodsonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Use any technique that works for you, maybe you could make a hub about it if you haven't all ready so we could see it...guess Google ad sense will too though..jeepers not sure..

1. SandyMcCollum profile image63
        SandyMcCollumposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I say give it a shot. It can't hurt, can it? Before, I was ad-less for using poison words in an article and it took me some time to get my related ads back. I had to change the article, even tho I wasn't writing about anything bad. But if you use spaces like that, it may confuse the program enough to not recognize the poison words as words and give you random, unrelated ads. OR, will it raise a red flag to Google that your articles contain letters that don't form words, or regard it as poor content... Geez, that's a hair twister.

Anyone knowledgeable about this?

2. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is a weird situation. If Google does NOT recognize it, it will not rank in the search engine for traffic, right? Maybe I have been up too long, but that is what jumped out at me upon reading the overall question(s) and the comments shared.

A great point you raise however. I shall follow along and keep up with the responses. smile

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Extra spaces probably won't work, because I know Google disregards spaces in some keywords (for instance, it supposedly sees belly dance and bellydance as pretty much the same). 

How about creating a photo containing the name of the site, and uploading that as the first image?  You can then refer your readers to the photo and explain why you're not using the name of the site in the text.

DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi, Marisa--
          Thanks--and I found that extra spaces didn't work very well anyway, as the capsule tool then disregarded the space between two words entirely and ran them together as one!  Grrrrr...  Oh, well, I managed to write the entire piece without mentioning the site by name, and without using ad-alert words such as "social networks."  ;-)

Also, the < pre > (minus spaces) html tag you're supposed to be able to use doesn't work, either.  I went into the html edit screen, inserted those tags where needed to try and keep my formatting, and what came up but a dialog box saying the html needed to be "cleaned up."
        Ironically, it listed the allowable tags...among them the very self-same "pre" that I had used!  Supposedly allowed, but then ignored, and the "cleanup" resulted in the ugly all-on-one-line "preformatted" style instead of simply maintaining my preferred spacing.  I guess that's what the "pre" stands for... instead of "maintain as given," which was my intent.
        Oh, well, I'm no programmer, and I'll probably never understand all of that...there aren't enough years left in my life to learn it and still have time to put it to use..  wink
        As for using a photo--containing the name--this is the "major biggie," and I'd be fearful of running afoul of copyright issues....

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

I don't mean an official logo. I mean, write "....... exposed" on a big piece of cardboard and photograph it.  With you holding it and making a rude gesture if you like! No copyright issues there, and neither the Googlebot, nor any checker the company might have, would be able to read it.

Oh--hee hee....

It is a serious suggestion - I'd do it in your shoes!

OK--I will make that attempt....thanks for the idea...

I know you can't post a link, but if you post here to let us know when it's done we can go to your profile and find your newest Hub.  Curious to see what you have to say!

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
                    paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this
    4. Uninvited Writer profile image80
      Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A lot of the ads you see are based on what you have looked at previously.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
        Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile  Good point UW... But in the opening post..
        She Denies having any interest in That Issue!! smile

Perhaps disabling your search history might be worth considering. I believe the instructions to that process can be found under the keyword 'corruption' in a standard Google search!  big_smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

If this was an evenball question I'd be able to help you...

No, seriously. It's a good question. I don't know the answer. smile

Bump.

LOL--I'm mostly odd--short on evenballs, sorry.  wink

3. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 11 years ago

I am with Paradigm, great question do not know. ***Bump***

4. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 11 years ago

This is exactly the sort of fun I have had on Hubpages writing satire. I slam the crap out of stuff and their ads show up on the article. I laugh. HOwever, I can see how what you are trying to do would make it less amusing. (I still laugh that Fiber One bars advertise on my hub talking about how they nearly blew up my as$, or the SEO advice stuff that shows up on my hub bagging on SEO, etc.)

True, Shadesbreath....and your satire is of the winning variety, making such incongruities actually funny indeed.

However, I'm not doing a satirical piece; I'm deadly serious, and I would not find it amusing in the least to find ads for the site I'm slamming....   
      thanks for your input...  ;-)  It's always good to hear your take on things.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
        Shadesbreathposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Just turn off ads.

Oh?   Did not know you could turn off ALL ads to an article...I thought some were still shown anyway....
          Hmmm..in fact, I just checked, and the box where you used to check "hub can be considered/not considered commercial" is gone. There is no more setting to turn off ads...maybe globally, but not for just one hub at a time...
          I think that went away with the HP ad program?  Or maybe when I first signed up for AdSense?

I just looked at one, I can still turn off ads. In Edit Hub mode, click OFF the checkmark "this hub may be considered commercial." When you uncheck that box, the drop down next to it then lights up so to speak and you can click "None" and, in theory, that should turn off ads.

That's the thing--I never saw that button--it used to be there, but seems to be gone.  (Yes in edit mode.)

Weird. I still have it on mine.

5. Beth100 profile image70
    Beth100posted 11 years ago

Have you tried a replacement word?  For example, you might say Social Site A will now be referred to as "Bleep". Maybe choose a word that reflects what ads you would like. 

Or, an acronym in place of the company name with one referral to what the acronym stands for.

Like Shades, I thought that turning off the ads in the hub would work.  It's odd.... I still have access to that too.  hmm

if Wal-Mart claims it's "lowering prices every day..."  maybe Hub Pages slogan should be, "changing things every day..."    lol

1. Beth100 profile image70
        Beth100posted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol  that's too funny!!!  lol

6. SandyMcCollum profile image63
    SandyMcCollumposted 11 years ago

Whenever I make a new hub, that particular box is pre-checked for me, and sometimes I forget to uncheck it before I publish. I didn't really know what it meant, tho, until now.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)