Hillary goes au naturel

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I had heard nothing about this until my presentation partner tonight told me "The big news story of the day is Hillary Clinton letting herself go."

No mention in the article on the purpose of Mrs. Clinton's trip or anything else of substance.
    Are we really this surface obsessed???

http://now.msn.com/now/0509-hillary-cli … akeup.aspx

1. gracenotes profile image89
      gracenotesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No problem at all with eyeglasses, but I think if I were she, I would find some frames that look more fashionable.

Hillary's hair in the article is much too long and drags her face down.  I'm sure she's wearing it that way because she's tired.

If she wants to get away from really short hair (her best look, I think), the look below is somewhere in-between, and flatters her quite a bit:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6591868_f248.jpg

1. Maddie Ruud profile image72
        Maddie Ruudposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But why do we even care if she's wearing something "flattering" or "fashionable" anyway? It has nothing to do with her ability to do her job. And when have you ever heard someone say about a male politician that he should get a more fashionable tie or a pocket square that better suits his complexion?

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I tried to search for a complete fashion history of US secretaries of state but shockingly came up blank.
          Can you imagine anyone telling Kissinger to change his glasses?
          roll

2. fiftyish profile image60
    fiftyishposted 11 years ago

I haven't brought this up in casual conversation with mates because it's not really the kind of stuff I chat about over coffee. Having said that, when I see Hilary on TV these days (which is almost daily), I can't help but wonder what on earth has happened to her these past few years.

I'm sure that having an incredibly stressful job and operating in lots of different time zones does little to help. This will not only affect sleep, but eating patterns too.

Let's not forget also that the ageing process actually doubles in pace from around the age of 50 (give or take a year or 2 either side), so these past 4 years for a 40 year old (and under), would have given 8 years to Hilary.

Btw, I don't think it's really classed as idle gossip to pass comments on such issues. After all, if something is newsworthy (as is politics and politicians), then it's all 'open' for discussion.

After all, there are only 3 topics that make up the foundation of any discussion, and they are, in order of popularity; people, places, and things.

Andy Aitch

1. couturepopcafe profile image59
      couturepopcafeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I guess you answered your own question. The passing of time, age, stress, lifestyle. Happens to all of us but is usually more noticeable on women. Nothing new here.

3. American View profile image61
    American Viewposted 11 years ago

MM,

I'm the first to admit that I was never a fan of the Clinton's though I do give Bill Clinton credit where it is due. I was not thrilled with the appointment of Hillary to Secretary of State. But here we sit 3 1/2 years later and I will say that the appointment of Hillary to Secretary of State is probably the only thing the Obama administration did right. Of course despite the good job she has been doing her detractors will always be there to put her down about something. In this case the media is having fun with the fact that Hillary decided one day to not put a lot of makeup on and wear glasses instead of contacts. Look, I'm a man, all I have to do is shower, shave, put on deodorant, and brush my teeth and I'm out the door to greet the world. Women on the other hand do a lot more before they walk out the door to greet the world.I can imagine that sometimes woman just says the hell with it and does only a little make up not put her contacts in and goes to work. It happens everyday and not much is said about it, in fact it's probably joked about by her peers something along the lines of" wow that must've been a hell of a night". But of course if the Hillary Clinton does it it becomes national news. I guess on one hand if that's the story of the day then it was probably a good day throughout the world and nothing bad happened. On the other hand we all know that with the issues of the day there is plenty for the media to cover. Shame on the media for making more of the fact that she was wearing makeup than covering the reasons for her trip and the issue she was dealing with.

Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

A very reasoned comment AV.

Both Clintons have been examined publicly for wearing their stress on their sleeve. Or their face (Hillary) or their waist (Bill). Clinton more than any other recent president really aged in office. Big bags under his eyes, the McDonald's runs on his runs, etc.

Hillary here is looking retro. Aging hippie isn't far off. This look is a return to the fresh scrubbed, bespectacled Wellesley and Yale Law School student of old -- years before the politico handlers got a hold of her and blonded her out and changed her hairstyle every five mininutes and spanked Spanx on her under those omnipresent pantsuits.

This IS Hillary. She's a head person at heart.

And yes, Fiftyish, Mother Nature is tougher on women. Hillary is 65 this year.
      Maybe time she spent time with Nancy Pellosi.
      Hillary: "Hey Nancy, love your face. Where'd you get it done?"

JK.

4. Disturbia profile image60
    Disturbiaposted 11 years ago

Yes, I head about this on the news the other morning.  It might have been on Good Morning America actually, although I flip the channels so often in the morning I'm not exactly sure.  Apparently, it's a big deal to the media.

5. livelonger profile image86
    livelongerposted 11 years ago

I can't believe this is news, except that maybe this means she's abandoning presidential ambitions for 2016. Looks are incredibly important in politics, especially for female politicians.

6. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

It's all very petty.  Hilary not much older than me, and she is simply "letting it all hang out."  She is a woman in power and not some high fashion model or A-List actress with a short career dependent on permanently youthful good looks.  She can do without the makeup if she wants to!  Who's going to stop her?  Unfortunately, women in the public eye are expected to wear makeup and fashionable clothing 24/7.  Sorry.  Doesn't work that way.  As a woman out of the spotlight, even if you showed up at the office without makeup and pantyhose, people would look at you funny.  I am grateful that I no longer have to stuff my legs into pantyhose that needs to be tossed after one run ($$$) or put on the clown face.  Then, there's the hair and the hair salon bills.  Some people don't know the name of freedom!

1. gracenotes profile image89
      gracenotesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It doesn't bother me that Hillary isn't wearing much makeup.  The lipstick is OK, and quite frankly, Hillary's skin is so much better than mine that she can probably get by with it.  She doesn't look like she's running for political office any time soon, so maybe she's all right, just a little tacky to my eyes.

I haven't seen many male politicians of national stature with a pony tail.  But many people would be critical of that, thinking that it looks very 1970's, among other things.  There does seem to be a certain level of appearance that is expected for men in public life.

You'd also be very surprised at how many people would not vote for Chris Christie for national office because he is obese.  I think that is a ridiculous objection, myself, but there's that packaging again....

7. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 11 years ago

If you Google Hillary Clinton - you will find at least a thousand images of this beautiful intelligent woman in a political office across the globe doing the nation's business. hillary Clinton 2012, hillary clinton secretary of state,hillary clinton old,young hillary clinton,hillary clinton angry,hillary clinton portrait.

8. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

I love this photo of an early Bill and Hillary..before politics...
    http://wizbangblog.com/images/2008/02/grateful_dead_to_reunite_for_obama_concert/bill_hillary_hippies.jpg

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2008/02/ … oncert.php

9. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I was all set to join in with the people who are saying (essentially) that's it ridiculous that anyone would focus on Clinton's appearance; and I do agree that it's disgusting that so much of a big deal would be made (particular in view of the fact that the woman is Secretary of State - not a fashion model).  However, I clicked through to see the picture and then clicked on the CNN there.  (I thought saying she looks like "a sweet old Hippie" is demeaning, but that's a separate thing. 

Anyway, I watched the video on the CNN link and was really put off by her, what she said, and how she said it.  She really didn't come across as a professional woman (and SoS to boot).

First, she, for some reason, decided not to pronounce her "ing's".  I don't know what that was all about, because she was an attorney long before SoS.  She's not an uneducated bumpkin.  So, first, it looked to me as if she was choosing "the old" phony, bumpkin, drawl she drags out for special occasions.  lol  More related to the point, though, she kept emphasizing how "at this age" she "doesn't care".  No wonder people are saying she "let herself go":  She's doing interviews and saying (essentially) "at this age I don't care".

Well, it might be great "not to care anymore" (I don't happen to want to be that woman - even if, by the way, I don't have any make-up on in my profile picture, although that's the one and only place in the whole world I've ever shown up somewhere outside my home without make-up).

Then she's doing the cackling thing.  lol  I mean, she comes across as an "old farmer woman" (or something) in that interview.  What the heck is with THAT?  She's SoS!   If any of the rest of us showed up at a job interview and behaved that way you can guess who wouldn't be getting the job.  roll  Not-caring is a sign of mental illness.  Honestly, she's coming across in that interview as if she's losing it.  lol

So, I'm giving a pass to anyone who has noticed her not-caring.  I mean, she's coming across like she's packed it in and on the edge of senility.  lol  I've thrown in some laughing faces because I know that in the scheme of life someone's hair and make-up shouldn't get so much focus.  I'm not someone who allows myself to read "something" into what is "nothing".  I hate it when people do that (I've had it done to me, so I don't have a sense of humor about it all).  Still, as I've enjoyed making a few jokes about this and written along, I find myself hoping it really is just something she's maybe doing to make a point; because in that interview she really isn't behaving the way one would expect a professional (and high profile/high powered) woman to behave.  She may just be confident enough to do her own thing regardless of what's expected of professional people.  I hope for her sake that's all it is, because she's not coming across very well.   hmm  The no-make-up-in-Bangladesh thing is kind of understandable (and nobody's business), but that interview is kind of mind-boggling as far as I'm concerned.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)