Hub Score Issues

Jump to Last Post 1-36 of 36 discussions (42 posts)
  1. gpower2 profile image39
    gpower2posted 16 years ago

I have a hub about cell phones that generally has a hub score between 92 to 95. This evening it has been fluctuating between 2 and 5! Is there a bug in the system? Any ideas?

1. thefluffanutta profile image59
      thefluffanuttaposted 16 years agoin reply to this

I had a look at your hub (on fixing phones?) and it looks like a good one. I searched Google, and it appears to rank highly and I couldn't see any other web pages like it. The your hubscore does indeed look undeserved.

2. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 16 years ago

My scores have been fluctuating a lot lately too.  I think it might be because they reconfigured the scoring stuff.

3. Morgan Hamilton profile image60
    Morgan Hamiltonposted 16 years ago

Mine went from 99 to 27 in one day and I didn't make any changes to it.

4. patswald profile image60
    patswaldposted 16 years ago

me too, i want my hubs to get popular. any ideas out there?

5. gpower2 profile image39

I am still having issues with the same hub. It has been scored at a 1 or 2 all day long. Again this hub usually has a hub score between 92 and 95. What is going on? Is it something that I can remedy?

6. thefluffanutta profile image59
    thefluffanuttaposted 16 years ago

Me too - my Harry Potter hub plummeted from 90 something to 20 something on the Eve of the release. At the same time, its traffic went from a measly 30 visits a day to 700! Is this the reward we get for making HubPages successful?

7. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
    pauldeedsposted 16 years ago

Both of these hubs have been penalized for duplicate content.  This is a relatively new component of HubScore -- we're still working to refine how we detect duplicates and apply the HubScore penalty.  In some cases, we've noticed the penalties are not always in proportion to the level of duplication.  In addition, quoted content is particularly difficult to deal with, since the duplication level may be high but it is perfectly legitimate to use quotations.

8. gpower2 profile image39

I have duplicated my own original content as I have a lens on Squidoo that I wrote first. I can understand being penalized a few points, but over 90?! This doesn't seem right. Let me know what I can do.

9. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

gpower2 -

You have a right to publish content that you own on HubPages, even if it has already been published somewhere else. However, we will not reward that kind of content as much as original, fresh content posted solely on HubPages. Our duplicate checker is an automated process that rewards unique content over that which is copied from somewhere else.

If you'd like to have a higher HubScore, you should author completely new, fresh content. That will avoid the duplicate penalty.

- Jason

10. Morgan Hamilton profile image60

Jason,

Please take a look at my Hub and tell me why my score went from 99 to 27. All of the content on that site, outside of the RSS, News and You Tube modules, has been written by me. You will not find it anywhere else on the Internet. It has not been copied, scraped or used on any other sites.

It is all original content written for and appearing only on this Hub. Unless maybe someone has lifted my content and is using it on their site (that's happened to me before).

Does your algorithm allow for news, You Tube, RSS feeds, etc... or does it see those as duplicate content?

11. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 16 years ago

Morgan -

You have a high number of links to the same URL and/or domain, which suggests the page was created to drive traffic and/or PageRank to another site. That's a bit exploitative of HubPages's high value. We will not reward that kind of behavior, when plenty of other Hubbers are clearly able to provide useful information without making such an obvious attempt to siphon traffic to another site.

In fact, you'll notice your other Hub has a significantly higher HubScore, and it doesn't have those links.

- Jason

12. gpower2 profile image39

Jason,

Thank you for your help. I will address these issues and get my score back up.

Regards,

13. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

Hey everyone! Since Robin is home taking care of a sick daughter today, I did the hangout instead. It was lovely to see some of you!

The biggest thing we discussed in the Hangout was use of the Google Keyword Tool. If you'd like to consider how you'll be making your own search-friendly titles next month a bit early, stop by our Learning Center guide on using the Google Keyword Tool.

That's it! big_smile

14. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 16 years ago

My hub on Kevin Trudeau, which has consistantly been one of my top performing hubs, and continues to rake in traffic, has suddenly gone from 99 to 45.  What's up with that?  I have not published it anywhere else... and I have good outside links... what's up?

15. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Maddie, Jimmy, et al.  We are still refining the duplicate content detection process.   If you have hubs where all or part of the content appears on other sites you will probably see your hub scores fluctuate a bit over the next week while we hone in on what works.  It is inevitable that some hubs will be penalized that should not and some hubs that should be penalized will slip through.  We're going to do our best to minimize these mistakes when all is said and done.

16. SunSeven profile image63
    SunSevenposted 16 years ago

One Hub of mine on Beckams' pictures which was on 90s, is on 0 now, despite being the first here to post it. One was restored to the earlier score, after hitting 0. And I lost 2 points on my Hubscore. I hope you will sort these issues soon.

17. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

SunSeven it doesn't appear that the text content in the Beckham hub is original.  I would suggest revising that first paragraph.

18. SunSeven profile image63

Thanks Paul. I guess it did the trick.

19. jimmythejock profile image82
    jimmythejockposted 16 years ago

thanks Paul i wish you guys luck with this one lol.....jimmy

20. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 16 years ago

At what point (HubScore) does the nofollow tags take effect?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Currently we apply a nofollow meta tag to hubs with a HubScore below 40, but we may adjust this threshold in the future.

For the uninitiated, basically the nofollow meta tag tells the search engine that we do not vouch for the links on the page.  It does not prevent a page from being indexed, or (to my knowledge) penalize a pages position in the index.

There is some debate in the web master community as to whether a nofollow meta tag (as opposed to adding rel="nofollow" to a link)  prevents the passing of "link juice".   My belief is that, at least for google, it does.

I disagree with you, Paul. The meta tag prevents robots from spidering new links, while rel="nofollow" prevents link juice from passed to that URL. Details can be found here on Wikipedia, here on robots.txt and here on Googleblog. There are a whole lot more referrences out there...

So, at the moment, I'm still getting link juice from my Hub with a score of 2. If you're really not convinced, then you should implement both here at HubPages, so that it can't be used for PageRank or new links.

21. greattaid profile image58
    greattaidposted 16 years ago

Hi,
    I am new to this site joined just to day I searching a platform to introduce premusic learning lession is this good to start just let me know by your commets.

22. SunSeven profile image63

Welcome to HubPages. I think you can start with any subject you like. There are not many Hubs here on Music lessons. So I think it will be a good start. All the best.

23. SunSeven profile image63

I have some unpublished titles which were not published before. I am currently working on them and I intend to publish them soon. Even though the default score is 50 for all the new Hubs, I can see that the Hubscores of these unpublished Hubs are below 40(in some cases). Why is this so and will it also be tagged with a nofollow tag when I finally publish it. Thanks Paul.

24. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

I've also noticed that the hubscore of hubs not yet published drop dramatically--that's why I gather all of my information in another forum before creating a hub I wasn't sure if it would affect the score once it was published.

25. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

Hubscores are recalculated frequently, and the past score has no effect on the new score.  So, I wouldn't worry about low scores on unpublished hubs.  Soon after you publish them they will have a new score assigned.

26. loial profile image59
    loialposted 16 years ago

My U.K. Theme Park Hub has fallen from 96 to 17. I have deleted some duplicate content and links....how long will it take for my score to improve?

27. gaylemart profile image62
    gaylemartposted 16 years ago

Paul, is it possible to add a dohicky of some kind to let us apply nofollow to outgoing links as we build pages. I always use them on affiliate links on my own sites and I'd be happy to use them here as well.

That's a good idea, we'll throw that into our feature queue.

28. Morgan Hamilton profile image60

Jason or Paul,

Yesterday I asked why my Hub went from a score of 99 (2 days ago) to 27. I explained that ALL the content on my site is fresh, original content that was written specifically for this Hub and does not appear anywhere else on the Internet.

I was told that the reason for the drop was that I had too many links pointing to the same URL. In light of that I have removed all the links from my Hub, yet my score now hovers between 26 and 33.

Why is my Hub being penalized?

Some of the components of HubScore refresh more slowly than others.  Since it takes considerable resources to scan and analyze the internal content of a hub (when you have to do 30,000+ of them), it can take 48 hours or more for changes to be reflected.  Be patient the score will update.

29. Stacie Naczelnik profile image69

Thanks for the answers Paul!

30. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

I'm basing my belief primarily on this Matt Cutts interview.

http://battellemedia.com/archives/002917.php

I see in the pages that you linked to affirmation that rel="nofollow" in a link does not pass juice, but they don't say explicitly that the meta tag nofollow does not have the same effect.

You missed off the sentence that immediately preceded the bit you quoted:

Meanwhile, Wikipedia says:

This perhaps doesn't really answer the real meaning of the NOFOLLOW meta tag, and there is a lot of confusion and mis-information on the web. It's impossible to prove too. I would err on the side of caution, and stick with the documented effect of rel="nofollow".

31. Morgan Hamilton profile image60

Fair enough Paul... thanks for your speedy response.

One final question:

Does using the RSS and News capsules trigger duplicate content red flags or are they excluded in your algorithm?

32. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

They are excluded.

33. Angela Harris profile image68
    Angela Harrisposted 16 years ago

For right now, my individual Hub Page scores have remained pretty steady, maybe dropping a point or two. However, overnight my individual total Hub Score has dropped almost 20 points! And just when I was getting close to that coveted 95+ score.

I don't understand- I've been consistently adding hubs, getting decent amounts of comments, have hubs rated up, and my traffic is higher than it's ever been. Yesterday I had a hub with traffic that was pretty impressive- the highest traffic day I've ever had for a single Hub.

Why such a dramatic overnight drop? Is it because my Hubs are mostly informational links to other websites?

34. SunSeven profile image63

Angela you won't believe it. I brought 300000 hits for one of my hubs. And it is rated below 30 now!!! Can anyone explain it. I was the first to break it here, I mean the news or whatever. I feel hurt. and disappointed. Something isn't right

35. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

As I posted a few days ago -- expect to see some fluctuations and some mistakes as we work to refine the duplicate content detection system.

Because you posted a summaries of some of your hubs on several other sites (which is actually a good way to promote them), they got mistakenly snared as duplicate content.  I'm working on a list of sites to exclude from our filter, sites like digg, netscape, plime, etc.

That said, please don't overreact to fluctuations in HubScore.  In the short run HubScore will not effect your traffic or revenue in a significant way -- it only affects the position of your Hub on the Hubpages site, and 2) if your score is below 40 a NOFOLLOW tag will be applied (which only affects the outbound links from your hub).

I'm sorry that these fluctuations have disappointed you, but rest assured we are working to improve the system so that we can increase the reward to those that create high quality original content, such as yourself.

36. Angela Harris profile image68
    Angela Harrisposted 16 years ago

Oops! I guess I whined too early. (My total Hub Score is back to what it was originally.) Sorry.

SunSeven,
    300,000? Wow, that's incredible. I'm so sorry about the Hub Score. That really is shocking. I hope your hubs recover soon. I really enjoy reading them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)