Does Christianity Cause Wars?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (110 posts)
  1. oceansnsunsets profile image85
    oceansnsunsetsposted 11 years ago

I see this posted a lot in threads, and wanted to explore the idea.  It may be true, or not. For example, it has been said,"I have seen "Your religion (Christianity) causes so many wars."  It is stated as a fact. 

I am wanting to gather some thoughts and information, and request you share your best example of a war that was fought out of Christianity, or based on it in any form. 

Thanks in advance for what I hope to be a fruitful discussion. We could add, does it still cause wars, and if so how?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Well I'm no historian, but...

There were the crusades, a series of religious was blessed by the Pope and the Catholic Church with the goal to restore Christian access to the holy lands.

While religion wan't necessarily what started WW2, it was Hitler's Christianity that was used by him against the Jews.

The religious wars began with overt hostilities in 1562 and lasted until the Edict of Nantes in 1598.

The European wars of religion 1524 - 1648

9/11 was religious according to Osama bin Laden ''The call to wage war against America was made because America has spearheaded the crusade against the Islamic nation, sending tens of thousands of its troops to the land of the two holy mosques over and above its meddling in its affairs and its politics and its support of the oppressive, corrupt and tyrannical regime that is in control.''

oceansnsunsetsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't think of any of Christs teachings that would generate any war.  I think they in fact inspire the opposite of wars, and if followed, would prevent wars.

1. profile image0

They certainly should. I was raised as a christian and my children are being raised in the same manner, but when fundamentalism creeps in to any religion hatred follows. We may not like it but it has caused many wars and deaths in the past.

My point was, has Christianity caused any wars?  The teachings of Jesus, are what Christianity is.  When I see wars being fought, I can't ever tie a Christian teaching to it that supports it.  It usually is political, or for some other gain, but not to carry out the teachings of Jesus.  (Which again, is what I think Christianity is defined as.) 

Without the teachings of Jesus, we would have no Christianity.

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85

I think you also hit on a point, fundamentalism.  I will add to that, man made teachings that are not in line with, but added to, the teachings of Christ.  I agree, it is the extra things that creep in that cause the problems.

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
              Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You have no direct teachings from christ. Every bit of information you think you have about what jesus supposedly taught is from men that were born after jesus died.

Noone knows what jesus taught, or if he even existed.

But to answer your question, history shows that christianity has caused many wars.

Jesus was a hippy, I am speaking of what Christianity actually "is."  Your points are could be other threads, and I think they have been, about Jesus's teachings and historical existence don't necessarily apply here, because what I was saying is that the teachings we have say things in particular.  Regardless of whether they are the exact as spoken from his mouth or not, we have them come down to us, and we have the gospels. 

So while fair points and great discussions can be had on your points, my point was that is there anything in the gospels that supports or encourages wars in our world?  Or in fact, does it encourage behavior that would in fact diffuse war minded people?

1. Jesus was a hippy profile image60
                  Jesus was a hippyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

There are verses that seem to promote antisemitism and other verses that seem to promote an "us and them" mentality against non believers.

There is no reason why these verses cannot be cause for someone to start a war.

I am not aware of any Christian teachings like that, and don't know of wars that stem from that.  Jesus, being Jewish himself, is not likely to support or even consider anti semitism.  It would make him incredibly contradictory as well, which I don't find evidence for from my studies.

2. kirstenblog profile image79
          kirstenblogposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword."

Matthew 10:34

1. profile image0
            jomineposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Luke 12.53“They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”

Now wait for a barge of quotes with opposite meaning that they some how will nullify the above quotes.

1. Mark Knowles profile image58
              Mark Knowlesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Christianity is a religion of peace after all........... lol

1. profile image0

You know it is all context. If you read it in proper context murder means murder oops! Love.

2. Claire Evans profile image63
            Claire Evansposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you know what figurative speaking means? Jesus presence on earth has caused division.  Just look at these forums.  He presence causes division between other religions even those family members who may not shall the same beliefs as each other.

2. j-u-i-c-e profile image94
      j-u-i-c-eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Rad Man forgot to mention the genocide of most of the world's indigenous people. Done in the name of God to 'save' them. Of course, the motive wasn't religious, it was greed.

The real question is: why does Christian dogma lend itself to justifying these sorts of things over and over? One would think that a religion of love would make these kinds of justifications hard to get away with. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Can you be more specific, though I think I know what you are talking about, and if there is one thing I have learned over the years, it is to not assume anything!  lol

thanks, and then I will respond to your point after..

1. j-u-i-c-e profile image94
          j-u-i-c-eposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"We come to conquer this land by his command, that all may come to a knowledge of God and of His Holy Catholic Faith; and by reason of our good mission, God, the Creator of heaven and earth and of all things in them, permits this, in order that you may know Him and come out from the bestial and diabolical life that you lead. It is for this reason that we, being so few in number, subjugate that vast host. When you have seen the errors in which you live, you will understand the good that we have done by coming to your land by order of his Majesty the King of Spain. Our Lord permitted that your pride should be brought low and that no Indian should be able to offend a Christian."

Pizarro, after defeating Atahuallpa, Emperor of the Incan Empire. The motive is greed, but the justification is salvation.

Christians used similar rationalizations all over the new world to steal land from the indigenous peoples. But this isn't a history lesson, is it? Surely the examples are too numerous and easy to locate to waste time with them here. I don't think Christianity causes wars so much as it justifies them. I still think the primary motive is greed, not religious intolerance.

Hi Juice, I think its great to look over the history.  My point in this thread is to make people think more deeply about these things, and what actually caused the wars so long ago. 

You say, "I don't think Christianity causes wars so much as it justifies them. I still think the primary motive is greed, not religious intolerance."

Anyone that justifies any horrific acts, can not be practicing Christianity, especially when Christianity teaches the opposite of those things.  It is a fact, that someone can say, "I am a Christian" then do horrific things.  I see many people defining Christianity and accusing it for such things.  I think that isn't giving a fair chance to a worldview that teaches peace, love and forgiveness at its core. 

So we are left with how do we define things.  Some have a motive for using the atrocious acts committed by Christians for their defining and often rejection of Christianity.  I would encourage them to find better reasons to reject it than that, as Christianity itself, what it actually IS, is not a thing that encourages or wages war against innocent people.  People do that, and I agree with you, greed can be one big factor, political, and any kind of gain.

3. mischeviousme profile image61
      mischeviousmeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Empirical tenets and human nature, a bad mix indeed.

Can you weigh in a little more?  I agree though, we can look at what we see, and conclude things based on that.  People, especially ones that do bad things, can and will say they are all kinds of good things, like "Chrstian" or whatever.  If we don't have a definition of what it even is, how are people to test the religion or worldview?

My point is that for those wanting to defend their reasoning against Christianity will almost always define it as something negative, and not by what makes it what it actually is.  This can be tested as well.  If a person or group or country says one thing, then acts the opposite, and those actions are labeled by others as the thing they are acting opposite against, how is that behavior defining the thing they clearly are "not"?  It doesn't, except that its a way to kind of cheat to put down for other reasons.  (which there are plenty of really)

Would be curious to hear more of your thoughts also.

1. mischeviousme profile image61

If one cannot contest or question and opinions are evil, what is expected is obedience. The middle eastern religions are very dangerous in this way, they don't leave any room for progress and their minds stagnate into violence... It's human nature and it's not confined to religion, it's a global thing.

4. Seafarer Mama profile image79
      Seafarer Mamaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I believe that the injunction to proseletize (sp?) is part of the problem. Many members of Christian religious sects think that winning converts is everything. I think that Jesus just mean for us to use our innante good sense and conscience, not listen blindly to powerful leaders, religious or otherwise...but instead, religious leaders demanded obedience and became territorial...and there you go.  So sad...and so primitive.

5. Mmargie1966 profile image84
      Mmargie1966posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Jihad is not a Christian word.  So why blame one religion?  I'm not saying the "religion" of Islam or the "religion" of Christianity is the cause of war.

I'm saying, be objective with your questioning.  That's all.

6. profile image0
      SirDentposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Eph_6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

There is a war going on but not like what so many had posted about.

1. Claire Evans profile image63

Excellent response.

2. conradofontanilla profile image67
    conradofontanillaposted 11 years ago

Christianity caused wars. Take the crusades: among other aims it was meant to counter the expansion of Islam, to retake the Holy Land and as a way to earn redemption and expiation of sins. The first crusade was launched by Urban II in 1095. The passion for crusades diminished, due partly to the reformation movement initiated by Luther, and may be considered to have ceased (at least the military campaigns) with a victory over the Ottoman fleet in 1571. But not without enormous losses of lives from both Islams and Christians.

3. Claire Evans profile image63
    Claire Evansposted 11 years ago

No, people cause wars sometimes using Christianity as a mask.  In the case of Libya and Syria, Christianity has nothing to do with military intervention.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
      Castlepalomaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Most wars are predominantly Christian countries and the greatest reason is in the name of God. A subhuman demon is much easier to kill than a fellow human being and the rich tooled religion and politic to create their power, as the historical song Christian soldier continue to marching as to war. Do we think everyone will work  peacefully under one group Mha MMmmhhaa MMMMMHAHHAHA!!!!lo lol lol

In the beginner Man fought animals and other cavemen. Then Man created Religion and the Military. Then man created religious, politics mix with military.

Then  Man evolve to a healthy sound reason of purpose to live by, starting with self.....to be continued

Funny, I always thought the Middle Eastern countries were the most violent.

Why would American having only 4% of the world population need half of the world's offensive war budget. With Russia they have 90% of the nuclear war heads and American has 26% of the world's Prisons

If that is not enough proof that America is the most violent nation on earth, I don't know what is?

Just to add, America has 4 times the murders rate than Europe combined.
            Then Japan ( per capita) is half of what Europe murder rate is

America was not founded upon Christianity.  It is founded on Freemasonry.  Obama doesn't justify war America has entered by doing it in the name of Christianity.  Some of the reasons was 9-11, WMD, Gadhafi, Assad....what does Christianity have to do with that??

1. profile image0

Well, according to Osama's own words he attacked because he was threatened by christianity.

That make sense, he is somewhat honest. yet frighten for his life being a puppet and all, maybe if I was in his shoes, I might be too

LMAO! Where did you get that nonsense from? Where's your proof he even committed 9-11?

1. profile image0

I'll have to take his word for it, do you have PROOF he wasn't behind it?

The onus is on you to prove it!

Stanley Hilton was a senior advisor to Sen Bob Dole (R) and has personally known Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz for decades.

“This (9/11) was all planned. This was a government-ordered operation. Bush personally signed the order. He personally authorized the attacks. He is guilty of treason and mass murder.” –Stanley Hilton

"The hijackers left no paper trail," proclaimed FBI Director Robert Mueller on April 30, 2002.  "In our investigation, we have not uncovered a single piece of paper...that mentioned any aspect of the Sept. 11 plot."

http://www.globalresearch.ca/articles/KUP310A.html

On June 5, 2006, the Muckraker Report contacted the FBI Headquarters, (202) 324-3000, to learn why Bin Laden’s Most Wanted poster did not indicate that Usama was also wanted in connection with 9/11.  The Muckraker Report spoke with Rex Tomb, Chief of Investigative Publicity for the FBI.  When asked why there is no mention of 9/11 on Bin Laden’s Most Wanted web page, Tomb said, “The reason why 9/11 is not mentioned on Usama Bin Laden’s Most Wanted page is because the FBI has no hard evidence connecting Bin Laden to 9/11.”

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php? … p;aid=2623

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

I was thinking about how the middle east, where Obama got the Nobel Peace Prize for increasing America war budget along with a man dancing with words.

The 9-11 might have been an inside job by GW Bush because he had most to gain, as the 9-11 gave him the highest polls than any President in American history, at Bush exit from President he had the lowest polls of any President and most dislike President ever. kinda like how Hitler won over the people in christian like nation Germany then became the most hated man in history. Hey, Bush was little Hitler

Can you ever imagine a non christian President ever getting elected or even a half Jew like Jesus ever getting elected for office?

I asked you where you got the idea Osama attacked 9-11 because he was threatened by Christianity?

Bush had nothing to do with the planning and executing of 9-11.  He just knew about it.  It was Israel that was behind it. 

I can see a Jew becoming president of the United States but not a non Christian.  I am sure Obama is Muslim.  If he said he was he'd lose a lot of support.  I mean, the name Hussein says it all.

America had to kill Million Iraqi on their soil to prove to the world that killing is wrong. When no Iraq has been proven to kill on American on American soil.
              Meanwhile the American people who are 85% christian take no responsible for their action. They use nuclear weapons on Iraq and Japan and they are the only one

If that is Christian honesty then shame on the Majority voters for this kind of kindness toward the middle east and mostly the brown skin countries of the world who America is at war with most.

You are off point.  I am asking you what wars now are done in the name of Christianity? Was it to please Jesus or to dominate the Middle East?

It is not being Christian that makes people vote for people like Bush.  People of other religions and none believers did so as well.  It makes them truly gullible and they were influenced by their outrage over 9-11.  Anyone deemed to be Muslim was met with derision and even today.

1. profile image0

Of course, Christianity is entirely different from Christians, just like a mouse is different from a rat!

1. mischeviousme profile image61

Two totally different species... Christians are one in the same with that which they follow, they make up christianity... Would it even exist without christians? Most definitely not.

jomine

Of course, Christianity is entirely different from Christians, just like a mouse is different from a rat!

Well, there is Mickey Mouse and the Holy land rides, there is an underground comic paper called Mickey rat, who is a non Christian

2. oceansnsunsets profile image85

I agree Claire, and to anyone that would disagree, I would be interested to see how they do, on what basis.

It can be forced, some, and it turns out because they just want it to be, so they assert it to be so.  People evidently just say all kinds of things, all the time, but not for good reasons.   Judging something for what it is is much more fair.  We see people balk at others treating them based on something that isn't true about them, no matter how much the person believes it.  They request they use fair ways of judging them, not something made up.

The Christians are the champion at judging others, you don't think that causes major wars when there is only one way to God by Yahweh Hwy? Building many natural and human history museum, I must be able to deal with real facts all the time.

Out with it Man

4. profile image57
    Shodanposted 11 years ago

Back at the original question...along with what someone else mentioned, sinners, Christian or otherwise, start wars... see the verse in James. The war in N. Ireland was certainly caused by Christians yet the focus was political.

"I don't think Christianity causes wars so much as it justifies them..." hits at the heart of the matter.

George Bush, a Christian, started the Iraq war. It certainly wasn't in the name of Christianity, but explicit motives pushed it in the name of Democracy. But plenty of Christian leaders endorsed his move. Some even talked about a new 'mission field' opening up after we conquered.

WWI [or The Great War, Part I, that laid the groundwork for Part II]was started by Christians, though other Christians [the cousins, the Kaiser and the Tsar] fervently tried to avoid it yet it was their political constituencies who won their ear rather than Christ. For a succinct overview see my Oh Holy Night: The Peace of 1914.

In the fourth century, a monk omitted the book of Kings from his translation of the OT, lest it inspire the Goths to make more wars, referenced in
    http://www.amazon.com/Christian-Pacifis … amp;sr=1-4

On this topic as a whole, the classic by C. John Cadoux, The Early Christian Attitude To War, can be found free to read online.

In any of your examples there, are you familiar if they used any of Christs teachings as the basis for the wars?  Or, did they just happen to be Christians that were part of endorsing or supporting a war, and had other motives as you touched on in some of the cases? 

We know many wars have been supported by those that are Christians.  I am not anti war.  I believe in protecting ourselves for instance.  We need to do that in this world, unfortunately. 

Mischieviousme says,

'"I don't think Christianity causes wars so much as it justifies them..." hits at the heart of the matter.'

Would any of the teachings of Christ be used to justify any wars?  If so, which ones?

1 "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword" (Gospel of Matthew 10:34)
        I never carry a weapon, always aim for peace

2. Love Your Enemies!(Matthew 6:34)
        I love them anyways, they need more love than anybody

3. Don't Worry About The Future(Matthew 5:43-47 )
        Prefer to live in the moment you're in!

4. The Most Important Commandment(Matthew 22:36-40)
        “Teacher, which is the most important commandment t in the law of Moses?”

5. Jesus  “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’
        Love- Yahweh because he is a  jealous God, I LOVE the 10.000 others gods as equally

Symbolic.  Jesus' presence on earth caused division between non believers and believers.  Look at these forums today.

I believe this is a translation issue.  I believe the context is to not seek revenge on one's enemies.  Jesus most certainly doesn't love Satan.

This doesn't mean one does not have the responsibility of planning their future.  What Jesus meant was do not worry when you say, "But how am I going to pay the bills?".

I though Yahweh loves everybody, Satan needs the most love of all. I wrote a Save Satan hub, so we can love our (so called made up concepts) Enemies to death.

Many people try to drag me into being one-sided into their ego group. I love and respect  people from all sides. JC can not love everyone if he wants everyone sided with him and to hell with the rest of us.

Jesus was a great man for his hardship time he live in, No way I'm going back to med evil times to relive and regenerate those horrible life style and sometime the bible seem too x rated for me.

5. horseriding101 profile image61
    horseriding101posted 11 years ago

I believe fundamentally, religions do not advocate war. It is the interpretation or rather, misinterpretation of the followers that cause it. More often than not, it is driven by gains and hatred of other groups. All religions preach about respecting lives and others. Certainly not to cause death and harm like wars had done to mankind

Welcome to the hubpages horseriding101

Look at most wars today, are they not predominate very religious countries?

Look at 85% Christian USA with half the offensive war budget of the world, very high murder rate, 26% of the world's prison and most of the nuclear war heads and the only ones to use them.

Is all this, even Christlike?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)