Ph. D gone mad

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (4 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Sooner28posted 11 years ago

As all critical thinkers know, education alone cannot force an individual to be intelligent or even think critically.  Eric Anderson is an example of this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-ande … 28890.html

He calls for open relationships to become the norm, stating, "Few, however, highlight the obvious answer to the dilemma of monogamy and cheating -- sexually open relationships. Here, in an egalitarian manner, a couple reserves emotional fidelity, while structuring in rules for extra-dyadic, recreational sex."

One thing I do cling to is traditional values.  Conservatives are right in some of their criticisms of people's lack of commitment in a relationship, or having unrealistic expectations going in.

Strong families provide an excellent foundation for a stable society.  Children learn most of their values from their parents.  I'm not in favor of legislating anything, but I personally believe the practice is ridiculous.

If Anderson's beliefs become more widespread, children will then be taught that commitment to one person in a marriage is an "outdated value."  Oh, what will the future hold?  What kind of beliefs will this inculcate in future generations?

I'm calling on lawmakers of all stripes, liberal and conservative alike, to talk openly about their relationships (when they are stable and honest and not of the Gingrich variety), and work to keep public opinion from changing to thinking about sex as some sort of game where the individuals have no long-term commitment to one another, but instead just use each other for physical pleasure.

This belief in short-term gain seems to be becoming more and more widespread in all aspects of life.

1. profile image0
      Peelander Gallyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

While I can see both sides of this and do not agree with Mr. Anderson, I'm also somewhat surprised by your reaction to his suggestions. Personally I feel that this puritanical American society is completely unhealthy in terms of sexual openness and that prevailing attitudes of oppression and condemnation are the root cause of myriad problems ranging from the popularity of erectile dysfunction medication to our disturbingly high ratio of serial killers. That's not to say that there are no problems whatsoever in more open societies, but they're certainly much better off. 

In most cases it's men who are looking for open relationships and who are incapable of committing because they're just wired differently. Their most basic function is to spread their seed and propagate while a woman's is to bear and raise children. I'd like to think we're more evolved than that and should be more capable of regulating, overcoming or at least acknowledging the hormones and chemicals in our brains and how they control us, but I guess that would be giving people too much credit. Men and women are always going to want different things and those things are going to vary wildly from person to person, so enforcing powerful social stigmas and even legislation in an attempt to keep everyone's sex life on a straight and narrow course is pretty stupid.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lawmakers really need not be brought into this...  really.

My marriage is completely and utterly monogamous and woe be it on my husband if it becomes likewise...  but I'm not willing to have politicians "work" to make sure it stays this way.  Nor am I willing to have them decide that my marriage should be ANYTHING for the sake of my children.

Frankly the particulars of anyone else's relationship but your own are simply not your business.  Regardless of any pristine honorable desire to sustain the moral fabric of society any attempts to codify relationships essentially is forcing your own view of morality down the throat of others that think differently.

3. Josak profile image60
      Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

As I see it there is nothing wrong with open relationships as long as both parties are consenting and comfortable with it. Statistics show upward of 60% of men and 40% of women cheat during a marriage surely it is better to have responsible and informed open relationships for people to get that desire for new and exiting experiences out of their system than to bottle it up and cause cheating which in turn causes divorce which is incredibly harmful to children.
      I know two couples who have open marriages and they both have very strong relationships and seem to be very happy together I had one of them over for diner a few years ago and the conversation turned in that direction, they said they felt it strengthened their marriage.

To each their own but I definitely think openness and honesty is better than cheating to control those impulses.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)