New Developments with the Hub Redesign

Jump to Last Post 51-69 of 69 discussions (281 posts)
  1. Bill Yovino profile image86
    Bill Yovinoposted 11 years ago

Wow! Today I had the lowest number of page views since I joined Hubpages 2 years ago. So apparently these changes have reduced my daily page views by more than 80%. I don't think I'll be writing any new hubs for a while. I'm investigating hosting my own blogs. I already have the server.

1. profile image0
      jenuboukaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here, earnings have dropped in the toilet due to the new layout.

2. Bendo13 profile image76
      Bendo13posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, my views haven't popped back up either.

If you ignore all the Panda updates and the subdomain switch, the last time I had as little views as I do now was 2 years ago... when I didn't have half as many articles up as I do now.

I've already mentioned in my last post on here that I won't write on here again until I'm back to the views I use to be getting.  I've already moved some of my content to my own blogs, and deleted the hubs on here.

Ship's a sinkin' and when my testing suggestions get the ever so famous HP response of "you guys can do that" it doesn't help keep me on board.

I'll keep my eye on my views and I'm hoping for changes that actually do some good, but I'm not going to hold my breath...  You guys can do that, HP wink

2. cclitgirl profile image91
    cclitgirlposted 11 years ago

I skimmed through this thread and didn't see my question - please forgive me if it's been asked already.  When we "share" the page, will we have a "link to this page" option?  Perhaps I've missed it somewhere...but I *love* using my referral tracker to share and link.  smile

3. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 11 years ago

Hey Hey Something New Again!

Now its a central column (2/3 of the total width) with no foggy background images.
    Looks like it  was designed for narrow screens 600x800.
    Widget thingo for facebook, Pinterest etc. -  is stuck to the background - right side
    Enjoy!
    As my developer mate likes to say "you can't stop progress!"

4. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

I just noticed that the recipe hubs no longer have that wide space empty on the right hand side.  The text and everything else is now in the middle of the page with even borders on both sides.  It was a pleasant surprise!

1. Trish_M profile image81
      Trish_Mposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Peggy smile

I just found your hub on oven-roasted vegetables and was about to 'vote up', but couldn't find that facility. Has it gone?

5. Peggy W profile image95
    Peggy Wposted 11 years ago

Hi Trish,

I think that the vote up button is now gone (on recipe hubs) but the others are still there. Possibly even more helpful is to give it a 5 star rating if you like what you see.  Google sees that whereas I believe the vote up button was only for HP purposes.  Thanks!

1. Trish_M profile image81

Oh dear. I didn't even notice the stars sad

6. thelyricwriter profile image83
    thelyricwriterposted 11 years ago

I don't like this change. My Google Adsense earnings are down by 96%. Not good at all.

1. thelyricwriter profile image83
      thelyricwriterposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here. Views are way down, nearly 50% for myself. I believe I will check on this blog hosting.

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ditto, my Adsense earnings are down by about 50-60% on normal. I use the HP Ad program, but usually do okay on Adsense too, but now I am seeing a huge drop in earnings from it, which I suspect may be partly the new layouts and partly the fact HP are/were experimenting with turning Adsense Ads off on certain categories (as I understand it.) Overall my earnings are down now, which is frustrating when changing things like the layout back to how it was before is beyond my control.

7. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I seriously doubt the new layout is responsible for traffic fluctuations. The changes HP has implemented coincides with many changes Google is making - and those are affecting traffic.  It will take time for the HP staff to analyze the Google changes and address them.  As for the ads - I don't know what the new layout does to them, but I do believe HP will listen to the writers and not try to play games.

The  new layout is attractive, and if you look at many other content sites, you'll see a trend toward more 'white space.'  Each site has to find ways to create a visual look that fits current reader preferences and at the same time find ways to maximize revenue.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I love the new look, readers will actually feel like reading it now.

2. janderson99 profile image53
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

The two large 'graphic' ads that used to be in the right column have gone.
      They used to pay for 'impressions' every time the page was opened - also gone. HP have claimed that the 3 ad blocks left (including the one above the title) will pay more than the 5 in the old layout. By the way the Google ad that pays directly to the author in the old layout is absent from the new layout ( all ad program if you opt for this). Of course HP wants to make money and so they are unlikely to shoot themselves in the foot - BUT the effect on traffic, reputation and earning with the never-ending experiment is unknown (5 weeks now for Fashion). Hard to see how its not hurting us.

1. profile image0

I agree. I do a lot of online research for my other work and many results or websites have at least 5 ads on the page result.  So I wonder why HP has dropped the ads down by 2.  The recipe format is quite plain, in my opinion, I just have a hard time believing a larger image and reduced ads are a progress.  My traffic is down for sure; as my blogger accounts traffic is up.  I am confused and concerned.  This wave is a struggle to ride out for sure.

3. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not convinced either, but I'm wondering if some other change has had an unintended effect. I posted about it here:

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/97840

I replied to your post there

8. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

I would like to see the avatars placed back on our hubs. My avatar is basically my logo, and I want it on my hubs. Readers may not remember my name, but I think there is a good chance they will remember my avatar. Why were avatars removed? Forgive me if that has already been answered; I skimmed but didnt see it on any of this thread's many posts.

If you miss your avatar just add a box at the top using a picture column and the link back to your profile with the text whatever you wish to say about yourself

1. SmartAndFun profile image95
        SmartAndFunposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Add a box at the top using a picture column? I'm not sure what you mean. Please give me the "for dummies" version, lol.

Haha big_smile I meant use a picture capsule and put it to the top right just like your avatar. I don't know whether it will look good or if it will harm the ranking of individual hubs though as each hub would have the same content

Thanks, Brandon. Hmmmm... I'm also not sure that would look right. Also, unless the hub was about dogs, would Google see the photo as irrelevant? Can G "see" what our photos are and determine their relevance?

I wonder what is the thinking behind removing avatars?

Sorry if my questions and statements show my ignorance. I was trying to keep up with all the threads on the various layout changes, but by the time this one came out, I had reached my saturation point. As a result, I didn't follow this one and now don't have the time or patience to sift through all 13 pages.

Haha smile The big G can't tell what the pics are about - Not yet at least

Thanks for filling me in on that one!

No prob smile

2. janderson99 profile image53

actually they can - I just changed my image in G+ and they queried my 'flying-fish'  - and replied 'The image does not appear to be of a person'

That's G+. We're talking about the search Engine here smile There are many softwares that can tell if its a human as eyes are located etc. But, the algorithm can't tell if its the same image or not

1. janderson99 profile image53

G+ is G

2. agvulpes profile image86
              agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I get the feeling that HP is trying to 'streamline' hubs so that the Hub loads quicker. They would want this to happen because apparently more readers are using 'mobile' devices these days. I'm just going with the flow and seeing what happens. This month my numbers are up a bit!smile

OK, that makes sense, thanks. Still, I would like my (hopefully) recognizable logo on my hubs. I'm just more of a picture person, and I think my avatar is more memorable than my hubber name, which IMO is kinda crummy. I guess I goofed when I signed up, not realizing it could never be changed.  Maybe I need to start over with a new account that has a more memorable name. hmm

1. agvulpes profile image86
                  agvulpesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I certainly don't disagree with you as I believe our avatar is part of our 'branding' and our 'brand' should be on each and every page that we publish!
                  btw don't be too hard on your 'hubber' name, you have published quite a few hubs under that name and established it well here already!

2. Trish_M profile image81

Me, too.

Were they causing problems of some kind??

9. janderson99 profile image53

I know HP has stopped listening, but I would like to make one final plea for a wider format.
    Most hubs I have looked at have essentially two columns. Down the right side are:
    => the first ad
    => images
    => Amazon ads
    => Ebay ads
    => Lists of linked pages
    What this means is that less than half of the text extends to the full width.
    Mostly the width of the text column is 5 or 6 words, which is very tiresome to read.
    Surely it would be better to move the 'right column' over allowing more width for the text. The blank area to the right just looks silly - a design error.
    Example is from one of Paul E's hubs

http://a1niches.com/toonarrow.jpg

1. Jason Marovich profile image87
      Jason Marovichposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's probably a good look for mobile.  Adapting pages for mobile use is a big deal for many sites, including facebook.

10. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

We are still listening.  There will be more tweaks coming to the design in the coming weeks.

We are still collecting data and doing user studies.  One of the most interesting things we've seen is that food is behaving differently than tech and fashion.  So, we are trying to understand these subtle, but important differences.

1. janderson99 profile image53

These experiments are becoming a "never ending saga - like the TV series 'Lost'" - Fashion has been in re-design mode now for 6 weeks. How about telling us when it will end. I, for one, have cut back the writing because the experiment is damaging my earnings, traffic and reputation. HP traffic data is also on a steady slide - the never-ending experiment can't be helping.
      Please! - when will 'the coming weeks' END.
      Its our live hubs you are experimenting with.
      What are the projected benefits?

11. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Paul, you are being vague.  So how is food "behaving differently"???  Do you suggest that we move away from writing and publishing recipes?  I received that impression from a site other than HubPages.

I doubt there's anything negative about recipes on HubPages.  Even after being exposed to seemingly millions, I still click on original-titled ones.  Especially recipes from Asia.

1. ktrapp profile image92
        ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My guess is that since the June contest is for recipes, that recipes hubs must be doing well. However, I only have a couple recipe hubs myself, so I wouldn't really know.

12. profile image0

Just fishing, Jason Marovich.  Thank you for your comment.  I was trying my luck at another site and turned in a recipe.  The person in charge leaned towards recipes going the wayside and suggested that I write about anything but cooking and baking.  I cook, but I am always on the prowl for recipes.

I have to agree with janderson99.  How long can we be kept in the dark about the "new and improved" HubPages?  I have Hubs to be published, but have set them aside. 

I am enjoying my time off from here.  Maybe way too much.  All I can say is that I am in hot pursuit of other things--like my retired self should be doing, anyway.

It's only money, right?  The last thing you want to do is screw with anyone's income.  Makes for some unhappy sheep.

Baaaaaaaaa!!!

If HubPages is doing what people are saying facebook should be doing, I'd take that as a sign that your developers and programmers are top notch.  Hang in there, I am, too.

2. profile image0

right on sister!!! Right on.

1. profile image0

I do believe that HP will figure it out; as if we are not making money; it goes for them too Right?

13. profile image0

Yuppers, Girl! 

You may have top notch developers and programmers at HubPages, but anyone who has ever been a boss or a supervisor can easily tell you this right off:  If you do not inform your people about what you are doing when it comes to major changes involving them and their income, they will automatically feel left out because they did not have a hand in the decision making.  They will feel like they have been played.

"More tweaks in the next coming weeks."

Hello???  Hello???

Yet, another version of "As the Stomach Turns" or "Promises, Promises" where we all lose!

14. profile image0

I'm looking at future trends concerning recipes and other subjects, k.  Unlike my friend Jenubouka, who is a trained chef, I am simply a home cook.  If the online trend is more towards the professional chef writing recipes and reviews, I will bow out gracefully and concentrate on something else to write.  As far as Hub recipe layout goes, those glaring big blocks of white space are a distraction to the reader as well as a loss of income for most writers.  Online contests are not an indication of what topics are wanted and needed online.  Contests are merely a way to get people to write.

Trust me, I am no fan of these new layouts from a visual standpoint whatsoever. I shiver every time I see that background on the tech hubs and the way the recipe hubs have the social share buttons on the right making the whole hub just look askew drives me nuts. Visually, I definitely prefer balance and symmetry and these new layouts have neither and actually really turn me off from a reading standpoint. I don't even enjoy looking through the comments as it is just text on top of text. I really hope the avatars make their way back.

But I digress...
      What I meant about the recipe contest, was that perhaps it is somehow indicative of how the new food layout is performing from a monetary standpoint. I'm guessing HP wouldn't "promote" it to us writers via a contest if the layout flopped in whatever their tests are - just speculation on my part though.

15. janderson99 profile image53

The text in hubs using the recipe capsule gets scrambled when there are images etc. in the right column. The ingredients look silly on two lines.

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6633723_f248.jpg

that's it, I give up - I'll wait til 'Lost' is over

That white column on the right is there to accommodate the social buttons that are sticky and move with the page. But visually they take up too much precious content real estate in my opinion, forcing the rest to just look too crammed and off center. I wish they would move the social buttons outside of the rectangular content area and have them stick out to one side (sort of the way a tab on a manila folder looks - if you know what I mean).

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I like the static social share buttons on the right instead of moving down the hub.
        The more I look at the new layout, the more cluttered the old layout looks. And it does load faster. I would still like to see more noticeable vote/accolade buttons and the comment section does look a little sparse. I don't feel as inclined to read the comments with the new layout. I don't have any recipe hubs, but I have a couple Fashion/Beauty hubs. I just checked out a recipe hub by MissOlive on fruit smoothies, and I think it looks great, plus it sounds delicious.

16. profile image0

I'm with you, janderson99.  The trout are biting, so it's time to split this dog and pony show for now.  Someone kindly wake me up when this is all over.  I didn't think it would drag out this long--and then some!

17. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 11 years ago

I really appreciate the questions.  We are doing a very data driven process with the goal of increasing the readers satisfaction, engagement, seo and monetization. 

Food is a highly competitive category with different traffic trends, engagement rates and ad performance. The in page 250x250 ad slot didnt see the same monetization improvements that tech and fashion saw.

We are making many subtle changes every week.  I saw some comps last week with elements that should be tested in the coming weeks.  We also want this design to go through a panda update to see how the test subdomains perform as well as the categories.  We hope this happens by the end of the month. These are very important tests, so we arent going to rush them out till the data is clear - we are anxious to get through this as well. 

We are also working a new testing system for monetization on the new design that will use a smaller set of impressions and allow for more tests.  The first goal was to make the ads perform as well as the current design.  In the near future we believe that we can make the new layout perform much better.  The engineering for this system starts this week.  Going to be a big week.

Hmm sounds good. I don't have any recipe hubs so I have absolutely no clue as to how they're performing. I'll just have to wait this one out.

18. profile image0

Thank you!  Now you are talking, Paul.  If food articles are so highly competitive now, I will find somewhere else to land.  I will write about other things.  This is all I wanted to know, so now we're getting somewhere.  I do question if there is a future in recipes because they are everywhere. 

I am a rank amateur when it comes to cooking and baking, so I will leave it to the experts--the professionally trained chefs like Jenubouka.  I am on a medical diet, and realize the importance of good, healthy recipes for my family and friends.  I certainly am not doing anyone any favors with my high-calorie, unhealthy recipes, so I leave the recipe publishing to the experts.

I hope you finally give these writers a recipe layout to showcase their hard work.

19. janderson99 profile image53

Please restore the Google+ button
    Dropping this is madness
    Google loves promotion of Google
    Go with the flow, especially during the ebb.

That's what I said a long time ago. I doubt its going to take much longer to load even if it does, it's worth it

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)