Are we risking our freedom with new technology that tracks our moves?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. backporchstories profile image73
    backporchstoriesposted 11 years ago

With chips in cell phones, Onstar in the new cars and cameras everywhere now, do you feel that our freedom and privacy is deminishing?  Facebook is an excellent example of how "big brother" can know so much about you than what you want or realize.  Does this bother anyone?

1. MarleneB profile image92
      MarleneBposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Freedom? Nowadays, I have to question what that really means. All of this tracking makes me feel like I am living in a box. It's scary how much tracking is already happening with regard to knowing our personal online interest. The other day, I went online to a particular beauty supply store, now every website that has Google ads shows this beauty supply store and the exact product I was searching for. I mean, I went to Dictionary.com and there was this ad in my face. I went to research how to fly the American flag yesterday and there was this ad on the search results page - in three places! I know there is no going back, but sometimes it is scary to think someone is watching me all the time. I guess it's OK, because they are watching the criminals too and that's a good thing.

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this
        backporchstoriesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

VERY INTERESTING READ!

3. serroro profile image61
      serroroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Our privacy may be breached, and I feel that everyone is being too paranoid, but in regards to freedom, we're still free to choose our own actions. It's not like the tracking devices are forcing us to do certain things. Our freedom may be supervised, but that still doesn't take the freedom away, I think.

1. profile image0

People don't have a right to privacy?  You just throw it away without thinking about it at all?

It may start out in a benign way, but it's easy to how the trappings of power could lead to government abuse.  It sounds just like the telescreens from 1984.

1. serroro profile image61
          serroroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I admit that my last comment seemed like I didn't really put much concern to privacy but I do agree that people have a right to privacy. I need to rephrase what I said before: the government is being too paranoid (not that I meant that the government = everyone, because they are not, though they are supposed to represent us) and I find it a bit baffling as to why and how they hire people to invest in the personal life of others. My point is, its quite unbelievable how they manage to manage all the information they are getting, and what they are doing with it (like what you said about the telescreens)

1. profile image0

My apologies.  I misunderstood you.

There is so much info that they literally cannot go through it all.  It would take billions of people to do so. I think they spy on everyone, and most people are not seen as a threat so they are then forgotten about.

What if a candidate was in favor of REAL change, and a fair system?  The powers-that-be would not be in favor of him/her, or groups that were supportive.

4. tohimilook profile image62
      tohimilookposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is one of the reasons I am not on facebook.   I saw on an onlineshopping site where you can purchase a camera which looks like an innocent necklace.  You can be photographed without out knowing who is doing it.   What about the IP addresses.   Cell phones with cameras.   It is a very scary thing.  Once our movements can be tracked there is no knowing what can be done with the information.  I think people are so caught up with the technology that they are not even considering the dangers.  I would have to say that it is scary.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Count on it.

Fear and Paranoia is the primary driver of most "marketing/advertising" for most technology. lol

3. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

It is the means of preserving the powers of the ruling classes, when thought will be legislated as crime as it already is in some quarters.

4. janesix profile image60
    janesixposted 11 years ago

It doesnt really bother me. It might though if i actually had a life.

5. Druid Dude profile image60
    Druid Dudeposted 11 years ago

We are already hogtied, and wrapped up pretty for Xmas. Our freedom is an illusion.

I love the way you put it!  Merry Chistmas!

6. knolyourself profile image59

Explain the conection to the subject. ????

1. Druid Dude profile image60
        Druid Dudeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Technology. Satellites over the earth. Can tell the color of your eyes. There is no place to go, nothing you can do. Enjoy.

You are worried about something that's been a moot subject for awhile.

Freedom.

Not just freedom but privacy too!

1. Cagsil profile image70
                Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Privacy is part and parcel of Freedom. wink

7. knolyourself profile image59

Its what you make it.

I understand it is what you make of it, but you know that old story of once the camel gets his nose in your tent, it is not long before he is all the way in the tent!  What distrubs me, is how long will it be before we are told what to eat, what to say and not say and what to wear and where to go.  In the 50s this country was so against communism, yet today the character of communism is lerking in our govenments shadow.

8. knolyourself profile image59

Until you become the criminal for your beliefs. You can turn off Google tracking. Look for articles on the subject. But first just go to Google page to the little wheel top right: Web history: disable customization based on search activity.

1. Johnathan L Groom profile image36
      Johnathan L Groomposted 11 years agoin reply to this

yes!

2. backporchstories profile image73

However, I can not turn off the sattlites or remove my cell phone chip...hmm...

3. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I've done that and they still hand out my location. So I get advertisements for whatever town I'm plugged in at. So, they are tracking...it's just a question of how much they are handing out and how much they are saving.

9. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years ago

What really got me angry was that Americans Elect, the online political party, had all the facts about me that the credit agencies have. While I was signing up, they asked me about a girlfriend I had 20 years ago. Did I know her? They got half the name wrong, at that, but I quickly bugged out. I guess if you're a group of millionaires you can buy access to anything. Romney's company Bain owns one of the credit agencies, which is kind of crazy. Why someone knows every key stroke I make is beyond me. Are they watching me through me camera, too, like the computers issued by one grade school to it's students?

Yes, I hear you on that note!

10. Dr Billy Kidd profile image91
    Dr Billy Kiddposted 11 years ago

Let's remember one thing. The Supreme Court ruled that there is no right to privacy regarding emails. If they are on a server, the owner of the server can scan them for whatever reason they want to. Your email, in essense, are open letters.

Let's also remember that internet traffic is monitored for key words by the National Security Agency.

Someone is Customs and Immigration told me phone calls are monitored for key words, too.

And finally, agents are onlline trying to hook men into downloading child porm and meeting with a person the user believes is a child.

Yet, lets not forget that all internet servie providers run their lines through the government's censor's computers.

And then, of course, there are local juridictions empowered to intercept your online traffic. At this level it often takes a warrant. None of the aformentioned levels require warrant or a suspicion.

There are enough key works here to get his a look at by some agency! LHello agancy, are you listening?

I know for a fact my phone is tapped.  They have been listening for a long time!

11. Bob Zermop profile image68
    Bob Zermopposted 11 years ago

The tracking and privacy invasion really just can't continue if we want freedom and liberty to survive. The internet is the future of freedom; governments and big businesses all want to control it. But if we here in the U.S. can KEEP our rights (much easier than fighting to get them. Ex. China),there might be some hope. The defeat of SOPA and PIPA let me sleep again smile Only half a joke...

Same thing with tracking, needs to be made illegal. Americans, there are rights you have! need to fight for them or slowly they will be taken.

Let's keep this thread going then and hope we bring about some awareness and address the issue!

1. Bob Zermop profile image68
        Bob Zermopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great point

12. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

I believe our privacy and the freedom which it entails has greatly been diminished. George Orwell's 1984 book and movie signifies the idea that those in high position do want to control the masses.

I personally believe Woody Harrelson hosted a very informative documentary video that addresses the ills we are facing in modern times which has to do with control of the population. I watched the complete 68 minutes of this movie and came away with a better understanding as to why things are going on in our society.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/ethos/

Being forced to carry radio controlled cards or have radio controlled chips implanted in our bodies is a definite eroding away of our freedoms.

Consider this made-up scenario which I'm going to present. Let's say I worked at one of these computer banks and I wanted to commit a bank robbery having your information and the ability to change that information I can simply rob the bank removed my ID information and put yours in my place. You can deny it wasn't you all you want but we know that computers and usually technology do not lie.

We know who you are, where you are, when you are and how you are. Giving strangers that much knowledge about you is really dangerous behavior...to have everybody doing it, makes it really easy.

1. SpanStar profile image61
        SpanStarposted 11 years agoin reply to this

True

13. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

The one scary thing is that "privacy" is almost non-existent. It's not only scary, but sad too.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)