Changing the title of your Hub after publishing.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (25 posts)
  1. bankscottage profile image89
    bankscottageposted 11 years ago

After publishing a Hub, do you ever change the title?  I have used title tuner to improve a Hub title, but I have never changed the title completely.

1. Outbound Dan profile image95
      Outbound Danposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Aye, I've changed a few, especially after looking at the title tuner. 
      Others I have changed because I realized how little I actually liked the title. On occasion, I have deleted the entire title; however, what I end up is still in the spirit of the original title.   
      I try to avoid keyword stuffing as it usually makes for a miserable title.  Whether this is black hat SEO - I'm not sure.  I thought I knew what google wanted and accepted, but recently I have lost nearly 90% of my traffic - it shows what I know.

2. gabgirl12 profile image61
      gabgirl12posted 11 years agoin reply to this

My title changes, but I notice it doesn't change it in the URL. For example I had originally started a hub called 'Born again without a clue for women' then I changed it to 'Born again with a passion'.  (I've since deleted that one) But it still would say the original title in the URL. I don't know why.

1. lobobrandon profile image88
        lobobrandonposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Because the URL Cannot be changed.

1. gabgirl12 profile image61

That sucks! So if you make a grammatical error, might as well delete the hub.

That's why you're supposed to check it in the first place. I made a mistake with my first hub.

1. gabgirl12 profile image61

I'm aware of that but sh*t happens.

Haha

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

Yes, I have changed my titles.

I change my titles at times, just for testing purposes. I usually return to my original title when done testing. I don't go too far from my original keywords used for the hub. I have completely changed titles on some which I left in place because I like them. It might account for some of the low traffic on some of my hubs.

3. andyoz profile image87
    andyozposted 11 years ago

This is something I have wondered about.  For instance, if I write a hub called, 'new music coming in 2012'.  A year later would it be smart to change the title to 'new music coming in 2013'.  Of course the content of the hub would also need editing.  But this way you get the bonus of a years worth of age on the Hub.

It's something I know some Hubbers do, but with Google making all the crack downs, is it something they would consider a Black Hat SEO tactic?

1. noenhulk profile image61
      noenhulkposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think it is consider to be one as a black hat SEO tactic.

1. bankscottage profile image89
        bankscottageposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I hate to sound stupid about SEO, but I am.  What is a "black hat SEO tactic"?

1. andyoz profile image87
          andyozposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It's basically a method you use which is not allowed but you get away with it.  So back in the day it was keyword stuffing, using masses of bad links and other stuff.  Any SEO you do falls into one of three catergories, white hat, which is acceptable methods that will help drive traffic.  Grey hat which are frowned upon but you should probably get away with them.  Then black hat, methods which are not allowed but experts exploit loop holes to drive traffic.
          The Google updates we keep seeing are designed to eliminate sites and pages that use black hat and now we are seeing them crack down on grey hat methods as well.

2. jacharless profile image75
          jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Black Hat is a manipulation technique (exploit) used to trick or excessively bend the guidelines for submission of links, data, content to a Search Engine.
          Each Engine has its own set of parameters or guidelines that insure proper indexing, placement, ranking and SERP for.
          The aforementioned is known as White Hat.

For example, a slug or permalink can be altered or a "faux title" created by a plugin, used to force indexing for Wordpress versus clean, real Title, Link and Keywords, etc that match the content of the page.

James.

2. lobobrandon profile image88

As long as your URL doesn't contain 2012 I guess it should be fine, because Google will see it as an updated page anyway. The updation would give you a further boost I guess.

3. Turtlewoman profile image88
      Turtlewomanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes that's fine...you can update it to 2013! A lot of people update their titles all the time. Your title and subtitle are more important than URL anyway, as far as inserting keywords.

4. bankscottage profile image89
    bankscottageposted 11 years ago

Thanks for all of the great information.  I don't know if I am getting into trouble with what I have done or not.  I haven't intentionally done anything to drive traffic to my hubs.  I'm not sure that it would matter since I still haven't been approved for a Google AdSense account.  Could unintentional violations keep me from getting approved?  Would Google be reporting these to me?

5. ktrapp profile image92
    ktrappposted 11 years ago

I sometimes adjust titles if in Google Webmaster Tools I see a pattern of similar search queries with low avg. position.

Oh good point! I've never tried that. I should give it a try.

1. ktrapp profile image92
        ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You should definitely give it a try. It's worked well for me. I like to sort the "avg position" column and look for queries where the average position is low, but not too low. I should point out that I don't necessarily always change the title, but sometimes some of the body text.

I'm definitely adding this to my holiday plan smile I guess it would be a good idea to modify the text too. I'm sure it would help.

What holiday or do you mean vacation?

Ya vacation smile

Ah - well don't sit in front of your computer all vacation!

I got just 30 hubs and 3 months smile Just the afternoons big_smile Will be writing a few more though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)