Tea Party strong grasp of politics, weak on facts

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

Read this in my local newspaper yesterday.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/03/453245 … party.html

Seems to me the author (co-author of "The Tea Party and the Remaking of Republican Conservativism") is trying really hard to be fair and balanced in her view.

Article basically comes down to this observation: Tea partiers "combine laudable and effective political engagement with high levels of misinformation and troubling intolerance of their political opponents."

And where do the TP members get their misinformation?
    Three guesses and the first two (hint) Faux news sources don't count.

What do you think about the Tea Party in 2012???

1. GamingCowboy profile image60
      GamingCowboyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What I think is the most ironic thing about the Tea Party is how closely related they are to the Occupy Wall Street Protests. Essentially, both groups are arguing about the same thing (that power is concentrated in the hands of the wrong people), and along with a strong distrust of the government, they are more similar than they'd like to admit.
      I think that the Tea Party and OWS are symptoms of a big problem in America: the political system feels broken to the majority of people, and I'm worried that it will only be a matter of time until America explodes from this tension.

2. aguasilver profile image69
      aguasilverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good article, and as whatever happens in your next elections, I have no say in things, (being non American) which will affect me and the rest of the world.

My first thoughts are that the original 'tea party' folk who actually started the civil revolt which ended British control of your land, did not have to contend with media intrusion and examination of their actions, so (for instance) nobody challenged the words 'all men are born equal' in your declaration, whilst the founders still allowed and profited from slavery, which certainly allowed your country to prosper from the slave labour that continued for so long after the declaration.

Those guys relied on 'town hall meetings' to shape opinion and garner support, without any overview or discussion as to whether, after gaining independence, maybe the new republic should make restitution to the native American Indians that were so badly deprived of their country to make room for the new interlopers.

These things have relevance to this effort, by as the article stated; the more mature and mostly accomplished members of your society to restore to America a politics which reflects more closely the situation they grew up in.

In a way it's like a parent viewing the children's lifestyle and actions as incompatible with their values and deciding to intervene, and even impose some of their values over the child's life.

Maybe stop the allowance and take back the car keys, cancel the internet subscription and their iPhone contracts and tell them to get a job stacking groceries if they want to have those things, instead of getting their sustenance from the parents.

The parents do not wish to deny their child, but equally they also would be wrong to encourage or even allow such behaviours they found offensive to continue, and in their opinion, would be doing the best thing for their child's future.

Like the first tea party members, they may be wrong, blinded by selfish intent and unconcerned that perhaps many other Americans do not share their values, but prepared to bring revolution to the land in order to defend their ideals.

2. Bob Zermop profile image67
    Bob Zermopposted 11 years ago

First, I think this is a fantastic article, and basically the best I've ever read on the Tea Party.
    Though there are certainly many who would've loved to call themselves tea party in the beginning, the insanity perpetrated by the media and to an extent by politicians has driven people whose ideas are firmly conservative to call themselves independent. The reason being the main Conservative party in the US, the republicans, have really gone bonkers. GOP2012 and the Tea Party have been like watching a circus, or a horror film. Ridiculous.

3. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

I agree with you, Bob Zermop.
    The Tea Party has co-opted conservative ideology and taken it to a bizarre extreme that feels really rigid (because, apparently, it is).
    This whole no compromising is the antithesis of how government works.
    GamingCowboy,
    The political system IS broken and unfettered big business influence is as much of the problem as anything else.
    TP and OWS are both reactionary, highly charged emotional movements, neither of which can really articulate what they really want.
    All they know is "We're mad as hell and we're not going to take it anymore."

1. aguasilver profile image69

Which is how the first revolution started, the danger is that Americans are better armed today!

1. Mighty Mom profile image78
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You got that right, aquasilver!
        Thanks to our glorious Second Amendment.
        Packin' and just waiting for my call up to the militia, I am!
        lol

2. lovemychris profile image76
        lovemychrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Exactly.
        It's not the gvt that you have to fear, it's your neighbor!

Just last week, some political operative said to throw acid in the face of women challenging their view.

And some wack-job talk radio guy is calling for armed revolution if Romney doesn't win!
        This, the Tea Party (co-opted or not) has been threatening since the first rallies.

I'm sure we all remember those signs.
        And I have never seen a sign like that at an OWS rally....even though they've been co-opted, I'm sure, as well.

The problem I have is this: Supposedly, the TP was protesting TARP. Yet, there was not ONE sign with negatives about Bush.....which is where TARP came from! They were all negative on Obama. Something else besides TARP was going on.
        And they have yet to admit it.

1. aguasilver profile image69

No, I think I would fear the US government more than any neighbour at this time, my neighbour is less likely to storm my house at 4am with a SWAT team and imprison me without trial or reason.

2. innersmiff profile image67
          innersmiffposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The government can legally take your property and assassinate you. At least with your neighbour you can voluntarily defend yourself and still be within the law.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)