Love Writing About Travel - No Traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (22 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 13 years ago

Even before the Google changes, I never really saw very much traffic to my travel hubs, so I didn't write any more travel hubs. Because of this, I stopped writing altogether... because I LOVE writing about travel.

What are some types of travel hubs I could write that would attract an audience?

1. recommend1 profile image61
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

You could check out my hub which will lead you to where a travel site is going to happen as soon as we get enough writers together in one place - to save me emailing you big_smile

2. thisisoli profile image73
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Travel is a difficult nut to crack, in my own experience it is very much about choosing the right keywords.  Think about what a traveler might want to know, and what they might search for.

3. daybreak profile image79
      daybreakposted 12 years agoin reply to this

melbel

I agree that travel may not be a productive topic for hubpages, but it most certainly can be productive on a blog or portal type site.

Have you considered starting an owned travel portal or blog?

If you are not quite ready for that, a blogspot blog might be a possible solution.

Blogger has some really nice features built in that make it easy to monetize a blog.

4. profile image0
      BRIAN SLATERposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Travel hubs will not make you much money, I know from experience, you could try being more specific if you intend continuing with this niche. Try cheap accommodation on the outskirts of Mumbai or places to eat for less than $5 in central Mumbai, or 5 places not to be missed in Mumbai after dark.

5. Garrett Mickley profile image78
      Garrett Mickleyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

My girlfriend wrote a bunch of travel stuff for a website and the site's travel section ended up being #1 in Technorati for a while.  She was writing travel guides for specific places.

6. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you write about travel that you are actually doing or do you just write Hubs that talk about traveling?  I find the two perform quite differently.

2. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 13 years ago

Interesting venture. However, I am particularly interested in finding travel related types of topics that would allow me to write about my interests (here on HubPages) while garnering me some traffic. Any ideas?

1. rorymullen profile image60
      rorymullenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Melbel please do not leave. I am an avid writer of travel related Hubs and have seen an increase on my views. Understanding that certain area will have more travel during certain times of the year, while others wont. I have figured that writing about one city hurts more on traffic then writing about a certain part of a city.

2. Brie Hoffman profile image60
      Brie Hoffmanposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Sorry to say that my travel hubs do not do very well at all.

3. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I think it also helps if they are destinations that people search. It helps to have personal knowledge and experience to share instead of a simple write up of places to see. I think people enjoy reading about interactions, and not simply facts about a location. The personal touch adds a touch of excitement and curiosity.

4. Azure11 profile image86
    Azure11posted 12 years ago

I also like writing travel hubs about places I know. I do get a constant small stream of traffic to them. I had a look at your Mumbai hub and it is great and full of information, however I'm not sure you are on top of the keywords and tags - for example I searched your hub for 'visit mumbai' and I only found it in the comments, then tried 'holiday in mumbai' plus a few similar things and didn't find them so maybe a few more common phrases and keywords need to be added in to the text and the tags.

I am no expert but those were just my thoughts on that one!

1. Rosie2010 profile image68
      Rosie2010posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Great tips.  This is very useful for me too.  thanks, Azure.

2. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Nah, my keyword for that one is in the title AND url, it just isn't "visit" Mumbai, it's "things to do in mumbai." I chose something long-tail and easier to topple because backlinking is not my favorite sport, lol.

I think I may have to just find a better niche.

I do get some traffic to those hubs, but just not as much as I do to hubs about other things. Maybe I'll just focus on these other things.

1. recommend1 profile image61
        recommend1posted 12 years agoin reply to this

The problem with travel is that it is such a wide topic and so much information out there with permanently high traffic between it all.  For instance - If you write about a specific place like Mumbai, you are in competition with the official local guides from government,local operators, etc - then every travel agency online will list it with their own blurb and links to the good stuff, then the locals have info that beats yours probably, then every other wannabe . . . .

Travel can work but you need to be in a group to get anywhere so that one of the group gets to the top of some niche keyword with their own additions to it.  IE Backpacking travel will find (say) 10,000 sites from 1,000,000 travel sites - cheap accomodation for backpackers could hit maybe 100 - but on your own you are at the bottom of that 100, with 100 cheap backpacking accomodation articles all linked together it becomes a viable source of info.  This should push the individual articles for cheap baackpacking accomodation - in Mumbai toward the top of the page.

You need a group.  My site expects you to stay on Hubpages, carry on exactly the same with your earnings here, just work together with others in niche areas like travel with the chance of extra affiliate earnings from the site.

2. Azure11 profile image86
        Azure11posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Fair point melbel about long tail but can you cover all bases by adding more keywords as well? The other tags you have are about places in mumbai that I have never heard of and would be the reason I would read your article but as I hadn't heard of them I wouldn't be searching for them. I don't even know if adding more general keywords would get more traffic but that is a good article with original content about a place that must have a lot of visitors so I'm sure the traffic potential is there.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 12 years ago

I find that hubs I have written about specific places such as African Lion Safari and Centerville Amusement Park do okay.

6. Sparhawke profile image61
    Sparhawkeposted 12 years ago

I have a travel hub about what happens when you run out of money and another about camping checklists, including items that aren't really thought of that often and I am the same...I have trouble cracking the code too :p

I think with some topics you have to take yourself out of the "guide" mentality and put yourself directly into the story which is far easier when you have actually done it smile

7. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 11 years ago

Travel is a lucrative topic, but algorithms note that less people are interested in traveling, especially far away. They are trying to look for ways to save on travel, like going on staycations. Perhaps you should tap in the budget travel niche - maybe this would help.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

I think so. When I read travel articles, I enjoy reading those that the author has experienced. Otherwise, it's more of a review, which is fine if you're writing for a travel site. But even those can be quite boring to read if they're just listing destinations, etc.

9. p10kabhijita profile image44
    p10kabhijitaposted 11 years ago

I have the same serious doubt in my mind right now.
    I joined HubPages thinking it would be a lovely place to record in black and white my love for travelling and share with a lot of users who have a similar interest.
    But, very soon the idea of generating traffic and making money came to my mind.
    So now, I intend to do both. Keep writing about travel for myself and publish it for a limited niche audience who appreciate exotic locations and also write about more useful yet less written topics on web.

10. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Travel is part of an industry, recreation, entertainment, vacation, tourism. Add these to your tags even if 'G' don't need them, it helps HP find suitable ads. Advertisers represent a business, we just have to figure out, which ones tongue and hopefully have them drooling to place ads on your site.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)