Southern Lifestyles

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image85
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

The American South represents home, closeness, spirituality, and family.   Southern cuisine is comfort food and is known as some of the best food in this nation.   Southern people are known for their plainness in speech and mannerisms.   Southern people are also known for their openness and friendliness.   What are your images of the American South?

1. Disturbia profile image61
      Disturbiaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sounds like a lot of stereotypes to me.  I've lived in Texas, both my daughters were born there, and Florida, and I've been all over the south and southwest with my 3rd husband, and honestly, people in the south are just about the same as people every place else.  I live in the rural northeast now and guess what, there are friendly people here, tight families, lots of churches, good food, and just about everything else you mentioned. There are regional differences of course, but what you describe is not unique to the south by any means.

2. tammyswallow profile image91
      tammyswallowposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting question gmwilliams. I was raised in Pennsylvania, lived in South Carolina for 17 years and now live in North Carolina.

Things vary so much depending on where you go in the South. I have found that your description is fitting for those in North Carolina, with the exception of accepting Yankees. People in North Carolina are tight knit families and they really don't care for Northerners or people they don't know. But- people in North Carolina are pretty classy and have impeccible manners and demonstrate hospitality.

South Carolina is a totally different story and if you end up in the poor rural areas, you need to be very careful whether you are a northerner or southerner. I moved to the poorest, most rural part of the state. It is full of racism (from both sides), rampant with crime, murder, poverty, an 80% illiteracy rate, and mental illness to unimaginable extremes. I had to get out. I couldn't take it anymore. I left about a year ago and had a difficult time getting out of town the day I left because of an active KKK march happening at noon. Not all areas are this bad (Myrtle Beach is its own little world and the Coastal regions are very nice). Travelers need to be very wary going into South Carolina when they are not at the coast.

1. tammyswallow profile image91

Another interesting fact I have observed while living in the south- the men are worse gossips than the ladies. I always found that odd and interesting.

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
          Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Now just a minute!  I was just talking to my friend Russ about how women are so gossipy down here and how they've gotten to where they think they are just as good as the menfolk.  The other guys agreed with me and we got to talking about the latest rumors going around about some of them..........!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
            Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lmao hahaha!!! Nice

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
              Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tammy did say she was raised in Pennsylvania.  I do believe she may still be a YANKEE!!!  You just can't believe what a dern Yankee says, no matter how much charm and hospitality you smear on 'em!  yikes

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

You crack me up Randy! smile

2. habee profile image93
          habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Too true, Tammy - some men down here talk about EVERYONE, including their close friends! And it ain't usually good, either.

2. peeples profile image93
        peeplesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I live in a very rural part of the upstate here in SC and we see no KKK or large amounts of crime. Yes there is some racist on both sides of the isle but isn't that everywhere? I also know of very few uneducated people. Even in the lower income areas most people I have met at least have a high school diplom or more. I rent homes in some of the poorest neighborhoods and level of education is asked in or apps. I also grew up on the coast and I find it to be no different than up here in the upstate. If you don't mind me asking what area of SC did you live in?

1. peeples profile image93

I'm sorry there is one difference, less traffic here!

Upstate in Marlboro County, SC.

1. peeples profile image93

Well good to know! On this side of the upstate it's much better!

3. profile image0
      screamingposted 11 years ago

Only thing I disagree with is the friendliness. However, overtime a northerner can and will be accepted with open arms. But not initially.

4. Daughter Of Maat profile image94
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years ago

The south is a family. They "take care of their own." I've lived in North Carolina, and I was born, raised and currently live in Florida. Central Florida is a bit more like the true south than southern Florida.

Living in both NC, and Fl, I've found there is truth behind the concept of "southern hospitality." If I had to choose between the south and the north based on hospitality, I choose the south in a heartbeat.

Stereotypes come from somewhere, and while I dislike them, many of them do characterize the south rather well. However, I don't know that they're known for plainness in speech, the southern draw is anything but plain! Southerners also tend to very animated and Southern culture has many subtle nuances and unspoken rules of conduct. If you don't know these, you can get into a lot of trouble in the south.

@screaming, you are correct, unless the northerner marries a southerner like my hubby did. The northerner will be "accepted" because of the marriage but it usually still takes time for them to be accepted completely.

Ya'll come back now, ya hear? big_smile

5. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years ago

I agree with the OP. We southerners are great! lol Screaming said we're not friendly to Yankees, but I disagree. Our two best pals are transplants from "up north." They came to the Deep South, fell in love with it, and stayed.

6. readytoescape profile image61
      readytoescapeposted 11 years ago

I don’t know why anyone would say we Southerners don’t like northerners; we like’em when they come to visit and spend all their money here. But We love’em when they leave.

The kind we don’t like are the ones that move down here and then think they can tell us all how to do things “the way they did it up North.”

7. profile image0
      screamingposted 11 years ago

A billboard welcome message.

1. readytoescape profile image61
        readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Posted in just about every bar.

"We Don't Care How You Did it Up North"

OR

"TOURIST NOTICE: A 25% Surtax Will Be Added To Your Bill When You try to:

1.)    Tell us How you did it up North
        2.)    Complain about the traffic
        3.)    Complain about the heat
        4.)    Ask us to turn the AC lower
        5.)    Ask us if we know a Realtor

8. Esenbee profile image71
      Esenbeeposted 11 years ago

I was raised in the South and I currently live in the South. It's kind of hard to separate myself from the culture that I know but I will try to answer the question to the best of my ability. My images of the South are people always saying hello to anyone who passes them in the street. Hospitatlity is expected eventhough you maybe cross with someone. The Spring and Fall seasons are short while Summers are long, hot, and humid. Winter can be brutally cold but without snow fall. The aroma of Barbeque and fried fish is always in the Summer atmosphere.

There is also another image that is widely known about the South. It is the image of racism. In many areas of the South, there is still separation between races rather it be different sides of town of the city or different neighborhoods. Of course Jim Crow laws have been outlawed, but sometimes it seems as if the effects of the laws are still embedded in the minds of the people.

You are right about that Esenbee. And if you walk into a room full of people, you say hello or good morning to everyone.

2. habee profile image93
        habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great post!

I'll never forget a "Wordsworthian spot of time" I experienced a few years ago. It was July 4th, and we were at a pool party at a club we belong to. We were out front, at a flag presentation done by the Boy Scouts. Across the street, the little league team was playing baseball. The smell of just-cut grass, BBQ, and burgers on the grill filled our nostrils. We could hear the high school marching band playing in the distance, along with children's laughter from the swimming pool. Ah...it just doesn't get much better!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)