Query about the refferal tracker? Quick answer please!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (16 posts)
  1. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Some of my work has stopped because I don't know this. Here is my query.

Say I put links to my Hub using tracker on my blog. Visitors to my blog come to read my Hub and decide to join Hubpages. To join they click on the link "sign in" on the top then they click on the link "SIGN UP NOW" (that link in red arrow) to go on the Hubpages registration page. Keeping in mind that I had redirected my blog visitors to my Hub using my tracker and not to the sign up page(registration page), will I still be getting the benefit of the referrals?

2. webismine profile image57
    webismineposted 14 years ago

You will.

packerpackposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are sure about it. Because I had redirected my blog users to my Hub and not to the sign up page. So only my Hub page will have the tracker. You sure??

3. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 14 years ago

This is from the help section:

Hope that helps smile

O wow that was amazing Weblog. Thanks for that help.

4. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

webismine and weblog are both correct.

Even though they're not clicking on a direct link to the sign up page there is a cookie that identifies you as being the referrer.

Being the most recent referrer does give you a window of 120 minutes, unless you are the first then it is 30 days (though if they click on another tracker from someone else after the first one there's that 120 minute window).

It's a little confusing, but if you read this a couple of times you should be able to understand it: http://hubpages.com/hub/tracking

Sorry read your reply late. That too was amazing. Yes it is confusing. Will go through it in detail. Thanks buddy smile

2. RooBee profile image83
      RooBeeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are very wise - I had pretty much the same ? as packerpack & you have answered it very thoroughly. Thanks! big_smile

3. profile image0
      newsworthyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If a tracker was used to a leading of your own hubpage, will the domain name of the follower be listed in stats of that hub as total, once the 30 days expired or even after 120 mins?

Also, as these hi heels start to hurt after a while, Im more confused with why a domain where a following has quadrupled (and more) in the last few months, shows only pea size stats of the hub where Ive labeled it "my web site" at the domain.

Maybe I need to change shoes and get into a pair of flip flops.

Thanks again.

1. darkside profile image63
        darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm a little unclear/unsure of your first point. I have asked HubPages HQ whether or not a referral tracker will obscure the referring website stat, but I haven't heard back from them.

I have also made a request for more than 12 sites on the referrer stats, as it's a bit limiting when checking out how well we are faring.

But checking some of my own stats, it would appear that I am getting referrals from blogger.com. The blogger profile for my blogspot blog uses a URL tracker (where it says "My Web Page").

I am also trying to see whether or not twitter.com or bit.ly (URL shortener used as a default by twitter for long URLs) gets the referral stat. I'm not seeing either yet in my stats, but then again they may be outside of the top 12.

As for your high heels, where does it hurt? If it's your feet consider going up a half size. If it's your heels, you may want to consider calf exercises twice a week.

5. profile image0
    newsworthyposted 14 years ago

darkside,

Lets say the tracker does obscure the stat. Would that mean the tracker wasnt a referral or that I shouldnt rely solely on stats for accurate counts of URL trackers? Or both?

How or what did you use to request more than 12 sites on the referrer stats?

I look forward to what you see at your referral stats with URL shorteners. How do you know when a site uses a URL shortner? What are the virtual changes I will see, or will I see them? Where do you look on a domain to see if they use a URL shortener?

I appreciate your wise suggestions about high heels and calves, as well as referral trackers. Where does it hurt, you asked. It's my toes. When they get bound up and closed in for long periods of time, they begin to scream - let me outta here. Not only that, if I'm in high heels for more then 5 months, the back of the high heels start to stress the lower back.

I knew about moving up a half size in high heels many years ago. You're right about that. It made a huge difference in how long I could tolerate the high heels.

I will visit the blogger.com URL you provided. Thanks.

1. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I explained myself properly here so it's confused the facts a bit. Because referrals can mean two things, a referring site in your stats and a member that has been referred to sign up.

So don't worry about that bit. It seems that the web stats does count both types.

On each of your own hubs (provided you're logged in) you can see 'edit, stats, delete and start a new hub' along the top.

If you click on 'stats' it shows the top 12 referrers (as in where people have last clicked to get to your hub). I made a thread in the Suggestions sub-forum asking if there could be more than 12. As I like to know how each hub is faring.

Twitter automatically shortens long URLs. I'm not sure what others do it.

6. profile image0
    newsworthyposted 14 years ago

Gees, I was beginning to think there was a way to view 12 hub stats at once. Silly me.  Have a great weekend.

7. packerpack profile image60
    packerpackposted 14 years ago

Now here is one more question. I hope Darkside is listening!

If I use tinyurl.com to shorten any Hubpages URL with my tracker in it, will it still work??

1. dingdong profile image58
      dingdongposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It will work, you can verify this by seeing the page source(html) to see your adsense(or other) pub id there.

8. darkside profile image63
    darksideposted 14 years ago

Yes, a URL shortener shouldn't affect the tracker URL.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)