Hundred-fold spike in traffic today from no detectable source?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (42 posts)
  1. Howard S. profile image89
    Howard S.posted 11 years ago

Is anyone else seeing a strange spike today? I've been getting less than 10 page views per day lately, but it's over 500 today and still rising. The source is undetectable using Analytics, Webmaster Tools, or HubPages Sources. I'm still getting 0 from Google and less than 20 from HubPages.

What's even stranger, too many hubs receive the same number of page views. For example, at one point I had 37 hubs with views and 21 of them had exactly 20 views each, but none with 2-8 or 11-17 views.

I thought HubPages' counter might have a bug, but my wife's is counting normally.

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Your earning stats might be interesting tomorrow... big_smile

2. Melovy profile image93
      Melovyposted 11 years ago

Howard S, I’m having a very similar thing. My views started rising yesterday till they were about half as much again as I’ve been getting lately, but today over about 20 different hubs they just keep on going up and up, till now it’s nearly 4 times what I’d expect. I wondered if the counter was wrong too.
      However my hubs do not have the same number of views - those that normally get a reasonable number of views anyway have gone even higher and I am seeing some views through search engines although I’m not convinced it tallies with the stats. And I do have some hubs with no views.
      I’m very puzzled by it.

3. Howard S. profile image89

@Melovy: It sounds like the same thing. Mine's over 600 now (from 500 when I started the thread).

Sorting on the 24 hr column, most hubs stay in the same order, mostly gaining one page view at a time. There's definitely something fishy. And still only 1 from google.com

4. peeples profile image93
      peeplesposted 11 years ago

I'm having a weird spike today myself. Not ascgood as you though. Strangly a lot of people on google are coming to just one of my hubs. It is however showing up as google.

5. JKenny profile image89
      JKennyposted 11 years ago

Yep, I've had these before, it's nice to see, but rarely does it last more than a day, which can be very annoying.

6. Melovy profile image93

@ Howard, I’m getting on a hub that has around 34 views, 8 are accounted for through google and on another out of 79 views 39 are accounted for. (Normally I could expect about 39 on that hub and 8 or up to 20 on the other.) Similar story on the other hubs, including ones that don’t get. So not quite the same picture as you are getting, but I agree there’s something odd. I’ve also noticed the recorded views are not showing up on the graph on each hub’s stats. But since I’ve never had cause to study this closely before I don’t know how quickly these update.

7. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

I got the same spikes.  I thought at first it was because the HOD yesterday but it's on unrelated hubs and the numbers are also quite similar.  No finding where the traffic is coming from either from hp or analytics.  I wrote a support email no answer yet.

1. Melovy profile image93
        Melovyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Melissa, thanks for that. I think I will file a report too because it’s 1am here and I need to let this go for now.

8. Howard S. profile image89

We shouldn't have to post this anywhere else. This is the new forum for traffic problems. While good traffic may not exactly be a problem, we're worried that it's symptomatic. Now @ktrapp has the same thing; Melissa, ktrapp and me makes three of this week's HoD recipients.

Paul Edmondson is the one directly responsible to monitor this forum node.

I had a HoTD last week - the 31st May, so you could be right that it's got something to do with that. Certainly seems likely, as my hub is still on the front page carousel for guest users. I did start to wonder when I saw Melissa as I knew hers was yesterday. I must have missed yours. (Belated congrats.)
        And now I really must go to bed and leave this!

1. Howard S. profile image89
          Howard S.posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Melovy, I missed yours. Only nine show on the archive page at a time, and yours was 10 days ago. Well, we've got it half solved for them now. Finding enough consistent data to work with is usually the hard part. I'll be real interested to hear an explanation. And even more interested to know whether earnings reflect page views--nothing else correlates.

9. MelissaBarrett profile image57
      MelissaBarrettposted 11 years ago

Did you guys do a snippet search from text in your HOD?  I found a scraper with mine...It's an odd setup though it seems to somehow be a live page... but no way to contact the site own to be found...

try it and see if you pull up a page at lucki13 dot com.

Melissa (yes I'm still here) I didn't find any copy of mine, but searching lucki 13 dot com brought up a page of hubpages banners. I don't know if it's genuine or not. Actually, it's the same scaper site I think.
        Have any of you had a new follower on Twitter today who is a "champion of new non-fiction writers'?

I just had a look at the site and it does seem to have copied everyone, not jsut the hotd people.

10. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I've had a slight surge in just one hub - interestingly, it's the same one that was targeted a few months ago by that foreign site that sent thousands of malicious hits.  But today's hits are much (much) lower.  I reported it & asked Admin if they want me to unpublish the hub for a short time. I'm not able to monitor it closely just now.

11. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 11 years ago

Howard - Thanks for picking up on my feed comment and letting me know that you started this forum thread.

I hate to say it, but this huge surge in traffic just seems too huge. On my comment on the feed I stated that my page views today were around 3x a good weekday and now it's up to about 4x a good weekday.

Most of the hubs with double red arrows have 30 or more views, a few are little less though.

Interestingly, the page views in the my accounts/statistics are not noticeable on each of the hub's graph. In my experience the graphs are timely, they even say how many minutes ago they were last updated.

It will be interesting to find out what is going on.

12. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 11 years ago

So it looks like at least 4 of us (Howard S., MelissaBarrett, Melvoy and ktrapp) whose Hub-of-the-Days are on today's HP home page slideshow are experiencing this unusual traffic surge for many of our hubs. I've had a few HOTDs before and this is not typical traffic behavior at all. As I said before, it will be interesting to see the cause of this because unfortunately something just doesn't seem right.

13. Melovy profile image93

I have just had a look at adsense reports and the increase in page views is showing up there now. It wasn’t last night.  The vast majority of my views are from the UK or USA, which is normal for me. And I haven’t had any clicks (which is also normal for me!) But the figures still do not correlate with what’s showing in traffic sources on HP.
      And my view figures in HP statistics have gone up another 200.

14. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

Has anyone considered that the spam attack and the rise in views are related?

The spammers have to visit our Hubs in order to leave comments.  Of course, it's all done with some kind of automation so they can do hundreds in a day if they want. They're not coming from search engines, they're coming to HubPages direct, and of course they don't want us to know where they're coming from!

It did strike me that there could be a connection. Yet, I have not been targeted by spammers - I've had one or 2, and one email sent through HubPages that reads like spam. I can only speak for myself here, others may have been spammed as well as spiked!

2. ktrapp profile image92
        ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This has occurred to me, but all the spam comments preceded the huge increase in traffic. The two really didn't overlap, at least not visibly to me. But this huge increase in traffic does not seem real, and I would guess has something to do with some automated illegitimate/spam process, especially since those of us who had similar traffic surges way out of the norm also had a link to one of our hub's on the HP home page (via HOTD).

15. ChaplinSpeaks profile image92
      ChaplinSpeaksposted 11 years ago

Add me to the list!  I had a HOD last week and Saturday my total views tripled with no known source on HP or Google Analytics.  I notice there is a pending status on earnings since June 8th, so maybe they are trying to figure it out.  My most popular hubs all received big hits, so I felt like someone linked my profile page somewhere.

1. ChaplinSpeaks profile image92
        ChaplinSpeaksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I had a spike of over 600 extra views with only about 3 spammers.

16. bankscottage profile image90
      bankscottageposted 11 years ago

For me, I had a huge spike in an hour today.  I am relatively new, 4 months, 27 published hubs, 30-40 views is a good day for me.  At 5PM I had 36 views.  At 6PM, I had 181 views, all hubs with at least some views, none with a ton.  At 7PM, still at 181.  I did not have a HOD and have no unrecognized comments.

17. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years ago

For those who say they had a huge spike in views with only a handful of spammers, did you check your spam filter?

Just checked mine and no additional spammers.

2. ktrapp profile image92

I received plenty of spam comments probably last Wed. and Thursday (or was it Thurs. and Fri.) Either way, on Saturday when I experienced the large surge in traffic, I had only a few spam comments in the spam filter. I'm sure HP can establish the source of the traffic- but one way or another, I would guess the traffic is somehow spam-related.

Now that I think about it, my spam was Thursday and Friday EST, and then Saturday morning I saw the big spikes.  Hoping we get to keep the earnings on it.

1. ktrapp profile image92

It will be interesting to see what happens, but on another note...congrats on your pirate food recipe win. Now that's $50 you can count on for sure.

Thanks, ktrapp.  Yes, it has been an exciting week!

18. BonnyC profile image60
      BonnyCposted 11 years ago

Hmm, I don't really fit the mold here. I haven't written a hub in over a month, I think. I've been focusing on creating my own niche website. I still check in from time to time just to see how things are going.

Lately, I've been getting maybe 10-20 views a day overall. Yesterday it increased to about 50 and today it's over 200!! I don't really get it. I haven't had any hubs of the day or spam comments.

Oh well, I guess I'll take it!

19. ChaplinSpeaks profile image92

Did anyone figure out what happened? It appears I did not make any earnings for all the extra views I received Saturday.

1. ktrapp profile image92

Same here, as expected, since it had to be spam-related in one way or another.

Guess I was hoping that a link to the HOD slideshow just went viral and we would get credit for the views.  Oh, well........  Did you receive any official notice or explanation?

20. LeanMan profile image80
      LeanManposted 11 years ago

For several months many of us have been getting visits from a facebook "bot" normally in batches of 20 for a hub to up to a 100 visits in a short space of time to a single hub. These don't show up on analytics but were showing up on individual hubs pages..

Maybe this is what you are seeing.. look for forum posts about facebook views..

21. ChaplinSpeaks profile image92

Here we go again.  My page views just doubled in an hour, 250 to 500.  Anyone else seeing a surge?

22. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 11 years ago

My traffic has been on the up for close to a week now, with earnings coming along too so I am pleased. My traffic is almost back to pre-panda levels, almost, with earnings almost back too. I just wonder how long it will last for before another slap?

23. Winterfate profile image94
      Winterfateposted 11 years ago

Had a traffic spike on one of my hubs yesterday, but it died off. sad

Didn't get any extra $$$ from it either... hmm

24. Reality Bytes profile image74
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I got a spike on one of my hubs from Huffingtonpostdotcom today.  I wish I could find my link on the site.

25. cryptid profile image95
      cryptidposted 11 years ago

Did anyone figure out why this happened?

I did not have this issue last week when everyone first reported it, but today my traffic has increased x5 since 10 AM.  There are no accountable sources in individual Hubs or my HP traffic page, I have no spam comments, and no freaky Adsense clicks. 

Sure wish I could feel happy about all of those extra red arrows, but it does seem like something strange is happening.

26. Scribenet profile image61
      Scribenetposted 11 years ago

I had a large spike awhile back, but it never registered on the Hubpages stats. I was on the site when it was happening and wondered why all of a sudden there were so many views happening so I followed it the next few days. It did register on Google Analytics but I could not figure where it came from. Alas it was just a spike!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)