Starting a business... Best way to sell in the beginning?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)
  1. profile image67
    jennagleaveposted 11 years ago

I'm just wondering if some of you lovely Hubbers would be able to advise on how you would approach this.

I am thinking about starting my own business selling children's clothing, baby gifts, accessories and some items for Mum. My problem is that I am not entirely sure where the best place to start selling would be.

eBay and similar sites would be an idea, yes, but the rising fees, I'd prefer to avoid. The amount of competition from sellers in the Far East also makes it difficult to sell in the Buy it Now category - which is ultimately what I'd be looking at concentrating on.

I intend to have my own site developed to sell my products on, but without promotion and gaining a good base of customers in the first place, it's unlikely that would succeed and that traffic would be very, very, very low.

The third option I've been looking at is Baby Fairs, Craft Fairs, Market Stalls and Car Boots etc... This would help in terms of getting the finances going, and possibly even a little word of mouth if I were to develop a site and give leaflets/flyers out on the days? It would also prevent delivery costs which could potentially damage my profit margins if I were to sell on somewhere like eBay. The problem with this method would be that the fairs are generally limited to the summer months and market stalls, car boots etc are a lot busier over the summer too - so come winter, will it come to a stand still?

What would you do if you were starting out in business, or what did you do? Would you try perhaps a combination of all three? Any advice? Any tips? Anything, anyone?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

1. johnakc profile image40
      johnakcposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes Baby Fairs, Craft Fairs, Market Stalls and Car Boots etc... are good option to launch your business and it would also give a little publicity.

Second option is that after developing your own site you can start pay per click campaign through Google or any other sites. You will have to pay only when any visitors click on your site. There are some charges for one click. User who would be interested will click on your website and land on your website and may be impressed with your beautiful products and website. In this google shows your ad on its search results and in blogs or emails so it is more likely that prospect customer click on such adds.

And side by side you can start search engine optimization so that after some time your website will show in the google search results bringing you direct traffic. But this optimization should be as per the rules and regulation of Google.

Pay per click scheme(either through google or facebook or any other popular site) can only give you instant benefits and customer. SEO would take some time like few months. Promotion through social media would also take some months to bring fruits.

Why not you do all these things together, so that you will lay a solid foundation for your business.

So make your choice..

2. TheSenior profile image60
      TheSeniorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First know thy competition what they offer and prices - secondly do a website - I personally am reduing my own and am going thru webs site.  Do attend craft fairs and the like to show what you have done and get some ideas - what you can also do is start blogging about what you have done - this problogger from Austrailias did just that and when he had enough bloggs in a certain area asked his poeple how much they would charge and sold out.

Try also and find those sites that will alow for free/or very cheap way of gettin your mdse out to the mommies.  lRemember mommies buy their kids clothing.  Your trget audience is Mommies,  Send out letters/emils to your fiiends that are mommies and querie them.  Update you hub pages to also refelect this in the personal poage.  Send also an email to a famous mommies to have a look at your site and for them to be honest.
      Rog

3. TheSenior profile image60
      TheSeniorposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do not bother about a MLM or even a franchise at this point or ever unless you are willing to let the people that buy in be their own bosses and do the business the way that they want to - each person has their own unique selling/marketing ability and that should not be infringed.
      I do suggest that you ask your local radio station to let you have maybe a few minutes maybe everyother day to get your business known.  Maybe it also might be worth it to buy some ad space in a free shopper that has a wide circulation.  And of course right a hub on this site - if you have 50 friends and they have so many - and of course aim it at mommies.

2. WriteAngled profile image75
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

How about seeing if anyone you know is interested in hosting a party at which you can show your products to a group of mothers? You could offer the hostess a generous discount for her own purchases, or a gift, or a commission on your sales during that event as an incentive.

3. profile image67
    jennagleaveposted 11 years ago

Thanks, WriteAngled. We've got a couple of "Mama" parties set up for this week actually as part of market research to see which products we've got in are popular, which are not, and so that we could try and get a few more ideas of things that may sell well.

I've not considered using it on a more permanent basis!

4. Dame Scribe profile image56
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

Part of your business plan would require you to research your competition. Pay attention to how they do business and how you can apply the same actions for your own biz. Online, check out where their links can be found and see if you can get yours there too. Also, join up with 'related' businesses that don't compete with you. Just some suggestions. smile good luck!

5. Lovelovemeloveme profile image61
    Lovelovemelovemeposted 11 years ago

Oh good for you! smile

Hmm...Well..if i were you, there's variety of ideas I guess.

1. Write Hubs or just online forums on topics covering children clothing or anything related to your products. People who read your HUBS and are interested will follow you where you can link your website or twitter for them to connect to. I've checked out a few other people's websites because they linked it on their HUB or etc.

2. you can approach small privately owned boutiques for partnerships if you don't have the expenses to open one yourself yet (plus, going into retail is really difficult AND costly. I wouldn't suggest this hitting the retail )

3. Internet marketing = pay per click, ads, twitter, facebook, ebay, amazon. Online media can generate a lot of customers. If you post a cute outfit a day on your facebook, I'm sure it will catch a friend's attention who will catch another friend's attention and so on words.

4. Take nice pictures of the clothing with cute toddlers and post them on picture websites. Some websites buy pictures that are adorable. And it helps market your clothing brand as well if your brand is on the item of clothing that the child happens to be wearing.

5. Attend as many events relating to your business as possible. Net working is key for success.
    never burn any bridges, always build. Meet people, pass out business cards to everyone and anyone.

6. Newspaper or radio promotions

7. Become an expert in your field. Post information on facebook, twitter, and market yourself as an expert. People will keep coming back to learn more from you.

8. Research the competition.

9. save 40-60 percent of what you make and put it towards marketing.

10. Write a book. (please refer to number 7) people who read your book on that field will visit your website, thus buy your products.

There's more but i normally like to list 10 things at a time. Feel free to follow me and we can keep in touch. good luck with the business.

1. jacharless profile image74
      jacharlessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

great info wink

6. jacharless profile image74
    jacharlessposted 11 years ago

Anyone remember Tupperware™. It was the pioneer of what is known today as network marketing. From its core came Herb-a-Life, Amway, Avon, even Weight Watchers at first. Add the new term social to that network and you have a web based business, like Etsy.

Key Points:
    -Define the product, clearly. This will ultimately be your Brand Pitch.
    -Define your market impact by inviting everyday people to try the product at a meet-up, party or trunk show. With this data, you can determine what products will be absorbed into the market and which will not. From there it all comes down to consistent word of mouth advertising.

Pricing for competitiveness is obsolete. I have sold a piece of printed paper for $100 USD and a salad for $25 USD. People inside the market will support a product regardless of the price. And consumers will rise/lower to meet that price or not buy at all. So either way, it is win-win. It creates your target market and consumer range.

-What is your 36 month exit strategy? A sell off of the business, franchising/affiliation or reinvestment. This is hugely important before you plan the first sale. How is this transaction going to end.

-ps web design: email me.
    James

1. Lovelovemeloveme profile image61
      Lovelovemelovemeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good ideas jacherless.

MLM network marketing is huge right now. If you csn do it, do it! It's basically franchising your business for very low cost to others and propelling it into an empire.

Build a brand, not a product. Brands lasts, brands sell, products don't. If you brand your product effectly, people will pay for it at any cost. Look at apple. Nghe brand themselves as top, latest technology. Society will fork out big bucks for apple. Do they have the most up to date technology. Yeah, sometimes. Not alllllllll. But they brand it so well, we don't think otherwise.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)