Resolved: Moderation

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (8 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

There are times where established hubs that have been active and have SERP rankings are moderated. Perhaps they were created before some of the stricter rules were implemented and are now only just being caught.

I feel for hubs that are 6 months old (or perhaps less) that ‘break the rules’ they should be flagged for ‘moderation’ but to avoid the hub being de-ranked, the author should be given a limited time to fix (24 or 48 hours) before the hub is unpublished.

This will ensure that an established writer who perhaps has several hundred hubs doesn’t get penalized for one ‘slipping through the net’.

Additionally, if a hub is moderated by a Human user, there should be a small ‘paragraph’ explaining why the hub has been moderated in addition to the normal generic email….

1. profile image0
      Norah Caseyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the feedback!

Our rules haven't changed much in the past 6 - 8 months, but I understand your concern. We are certainly more lenient with old Hubs by non-problematic Hubbers. However, if an established Hubber demonstrates a failure to comply with the rules (especially the same rule over and over again), we aren't going to treat them more gently than a new Hubber.

It is a good idea to take a look at the Learning Center's Index of Hub Rules when you have an opportunity, and confirm your Hub content complies with those rules. If you want feedback on a particular Hub, feel free to contact us.

As relache mentioned, we have suggestion emails for Hubs with very minor rules violations. We've been testing out this process for a while now, trying to determine if this has a meaningful impact on the number of Hubs we have to unpublish. Unfortunately, most of these suggestion emails are ignored or otherwise don't result in positive changes.

For most automated moderations, there is a delay between when a violation is detected and when the content is unpublished. For prohibited domain violations, that delay can be quite lengthy. These would generate warnings on the Hub and a red skull on your stats page

Not important for this conversation, but I'd also like to mention that the number of moderations by the bot is just a bit over the work of one efficient part-time moderator. The bot focuses on rules that are the most straight forward to detect, where adding a paragraph of context is probably not going to be helpful.

I'll look into how much extra time adding a sentence or two of explanation to mid-level moderations would add to our workflow. Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks for your feedback everyone!

2. relache profile image74
    relacheposted 11 years ago

I've actually had this happen:  I've been notified that an older Hub had a problem, and then was given time to fix it without it being unpublished.  And the notice I got was just like what you are requesting, a form letter but with a note added that said exactly what needed to be fixed.

Interesting...

1. SimeyC profile image88
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Interesting - wonder if it's applied to all hubbers, or if there is a cut-off? Perhaps being an author for a certain amount of time?

3. Reality Bytes profile image75
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I was sent a message similar to what you have described.

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

I don't think all newbies realize there's a reason for having a 'email' addy tongue it's for 'communication' purposes. HP and author(s) have a relationship which requires coordination and cooperation. I think it's annoying when complaints are made and they didn't even check their emails. hmm It's one of the first things I do turning on my computer, check mail big_smile notices are sent and the only thing really annoying so far is finding emails saying I have comments, then log in to HP and find nada tongue lol

5. SimeyC profile image88
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

I was more concerned about hubs being 'unpublished' at the same time. I've seen quite a few established members complaining about this. I agree that new hubs, or new users shouldn't be given the same consideration as established members.

6. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 11 years ago

HI Simey smile hope all is good with you. Yes, I've had Hubs unpublished and other ones with a little warning at the top but still published, and I do fix them but only find those particular Hubs most often, by chance. Maybe a little 'mark' like they have for broken links and those 'skulls' should be shown next to a Hub in question, therefore allowing time for that quick fix. I agree.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)