Do people start threads in forums that would make better hubs?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)
  1. Greekgeek profile image80
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

I generally avoid the non-HP-related sections of the forums (categories like books and sports). Partly it's because all the religious and political discussions distress me, partly it's because it's a time-waster.

But mainly, it seems like an awful lot of the output and discussions in those forums are sapping ideas that would make good hubs or articles.

I suppose that when it's only a hobby, it doesn't matter, but if it's a choice between writing a post about a favorite book wnd writing a hub about it, I'd go with the hub, where my thoughts, words and observations could earn some income.

Then again, most people's forum posts aren't as long as hubs. wink

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 11 years ago

And then again, there are some forum posts that are longer than some hubs. lol

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yup.  I don't even try to read those.  There are usually enough words to make a hub, but rarely enough quality thought or content.

3. profile image0
    paxwillposted 11 years ago

For some of the religion forum's usual suspects, there's virtually no difference between their novel-length incoherent forum posts and their novel-length incoherent hubs.

4. mega1 profile image78
    mega1posted 11 years ago

then again, there are some hubs that wouldn't even have been interesting as forum posts -  its a quirky place - why we love it so! big_smile  and we get to post little smileys in the forums, not in our hubs!!  lol

5. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I do "longies" in the forums, and I figure people can/will (obviously) skip over what they can't be bothered reading.  Writing is far from a hobby for me; but because I spend so much time writing, I sometimes just need to relax and get away from "formality", and instead just think in terms of "plain, old, discussion" - not Hub-writing.  It doesn't sap a lot of energy, or all that much time, for me to whip up thoughts that have come as a result of a forum thread or post.  So, the "longie" post that looks like it could have taken someone an hour to write can, for those of us who type fast, really take as little as, maybe, ten minutes (sometimes, maybe, fifteen - but fifteen-minute breaks from work aren't all that unusual for anyone).

HubPages is, for me, my "break from work that earns me money".  There's a point where I have to just not be worrying about earning money (for work or during my "breaks from work") - and just goof off and be a person who's interested in a discussion for the sake of having a discussion.

To be candid, every time I write a long post I feel uncomfortable about it.  Sometimes I'll save one for posting somewhere other than on here in the forums.  One of the things that has made me tell myself, "Hey, other people do long posts too," has been some of the "longies" you've written on the forums too.   smile  Yes, I guess yours tend to be about HubPages writing, but they could be Hubs too (rather than forum posts).  Anyway, it's precisely because writing is not a hobby for me that I need those breaks.  Besides, if I have something to say that I want "out there" (like the "longie" I did earlier today), that's not about my being worried about earning money for it.  (If anyone knew what I deal with - and it's getting harder and harder for me to keep quiet about it as time goes on - he'd understand why I see some discussions as worth having, regardless of whether they earn me anything or not.   smile    Oops!  Another longie.   lol   (My Friday night company will be here soon.  I couldn't have turned this post into a Hub in that kind of time anyway.  BUT, I could write four minutes' worth of conversation while I'm waiting for a guest.  It's all about time management - and fast typing.  smile  )

6. Greekgeek profile image80
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

Hee. My custom forum title on a couple sites is TL;DR, so I know what you mean about too-long forum posts. After I hit "post" I tend to gasp in horror and sneak back in with the edit button to prune.

I think I should have phrased my initial post differently; headache made it come out crankypants.

To put a more positive spin on what I was trying to say: "Hey, folks, don't forget, sometimes your great forum posts could be a hub, instead!"

But I also hear you, Lisa, about using forums to take a break from one's online work. Sometimes one craves casual writing writing and more direct human contact, even virtual.

I guess I'm still puzzled about Hubpages' initial rationale for having a whole set of "Categories" forums that duplicate the categories they want people writing hubs about. From a design standpoint, that was something that intrigued me when I first started exploring the site. It seemed like a counter-intuitive way of setting things up. I've gotten used to it, but it still surprises me sometimes.

7. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

Possibly the thinking is that it may inspire hubs, and maybe bring viewers in on a search?  I think they can be great places to share knowledge we may already have written a hub about. I know I've been inspired to write on a topic after reading forum threads. One of my most viewed hubs was inspired after visiting a rather heated forum thread.

I agree that it's also nice to have a place to casually post and interact with the community. HP has a great group of people we would never have the chance to meet other than here in the forums.

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Feed can be used the same way. You can have conversations on it. Just in case, anybody didn't know. wink
      True.

2. ktrapp profile image92
      ktrappposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great point! I have in fact been inspired to write a couple of SEO hubs recently based on forums that I have read. Plus, in a Hub I can back up my point with sources and such and better make my case than I can in a forum post.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)