Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Bill Nye, the harmless children's edu-tainer known as "The Science Guy," managed to offend a select group of adults in Waco, Texas at a presentation, when he suggested that the moon does not emit light, but instead reflects the light of the sun.

As even most elementary-school graduates know, the moon reflects the light of the sun but produces no light of its own.

But don't tell that to the good people of Waco, who were "visibly angered by what some perceived as irreverence," according to the Waco Tribune.

read more
    http://www.thinkatheist.com/profiles/bl … texas-for/
    Well, so much for scienceroll

1. Paul Wingert profile image62
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hate to tell the wackoes at Waco that there's no Santa or Easter Bunny.

2. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ooooo I didn't know that!

Why do you think she said what she did as she left. What's it got to do with God? I must be missing something?

3. Chris Neal profile image78
      Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That happened six years ago! I'm a little embarrassed that I wasn't paying any closer attention to the dates than anybody else.

The details are a little different that thinkatheist makes it out:

http://www.examiner.com/article/reporte … ory-speaks

4. Titen-Sxull profile image70
      Titen-Sxullposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is an extremely old story, it goes back to 2009 if I believe. It's still ridiculous that anyone in 2009 could be upset at the ideas of basic science but then some fringe elements here in America are backwards in that way.

2. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 11 years ago

In 2006.  The comments on the article were dated 2009.

My favorite comment was "that's taking literacy too far!"  I'm fairly certain the commenter meant literalism or literalness, not literacylol  lol  !!!!!

1. Lisa HW profile image61
      Lisa HWposted 11 years agoin reply to this

2006, 2009, 2012.  Makes no difference when literacy has gotten this far out of control.   lol   There's no putting the genie back in that particular bottle.

1. Aficionada profile image80
        Aficionadaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Literacy?????????????

I would think that the one thing a writers' site would commend would be literacy.  I would think that scientists and thinkers of all types would be very close behind the writers in lauding literacy.

As for the linked article, my suspicion is that there was a different issue at hand that caused the walk-out, but I would need to find an unbiased source to confirm or deny that suspicion.  Good luck in finding such a thing in 2012.

I was aiming to be funny there.  Apparently, I failed this time around.    big_smile

1. Aficionada profile image80

Red yikes face. I should have guessed that!
            Apparently I'm having my own problems with literacy and literalism this afternoon. big_smile

Sorry about that. So sorry!

lol     No red face necessary.  It's typing, which can be a challenge when it comes to attempts at humor.   smile  (By the way, I should figure out how to do a red face one of these days.  I could find that comes in handy lots of time on here.   smile

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

I've been thinking the light thing is a given.  What I think he should have addressed is the green cheese thing.

4. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

What about the man in the moon?!

The Science Guy should have told those people he IS the man in the moon.  Maybe they would have been too scared of him to boo him.   smile

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

They are going to go nuts when they find out about this...

"The Moon's Peculiar Dust Gets More Peculiar Still"

It's a tech, not humor, article.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article … 43,00.html

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
      Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating article and yes, it will probably tick off the ignorant.  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That, or they'll start praying to it. big_smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image60
          Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

They used to anyway, so what's the harm?  smile

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/6186572.jpg

6. Mighty Mom profile image79
    Mighty Momposted 11 years ago

To paraphrase Dean Martin and with apologies to anyone actually from Waco who knows the moon actually does reflect light from the sun.

In Waco, T where science ain't king
    When boy meets girl here's what they say

When the moon hits you eye like a big pizza pie
    You're a MORON
    When the world seems to shine like you've had too much wine
    You're a MORON
    Bells will ring ting-a-ling-a-ling, ting-a-ling-a-ling
    And you'll sing "Vita bella"
    Hearts will play tippy-tippy-tay, tippy-tippy-tay
    Like a gay tarantella

[Oh no -- I can't imagine "gay" anything going over with this radicalWaco crowd.Better change that to God fearin' or gun-totin' or something]

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool
    You're a MORON
    When you dance down the street with a cloud at your feet
    You're in love
    When you walk down in a dream but you know you're not
    Dreaming signore
    Scuzza me, but you see, back in old Waco,T
    You're a MORON

Lucky fellas
    They do say ignorance is BLISS

7. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Haha! Brilliant! an oscar for Mighty Mom!

8. SmartAndFun profile image95
    SmartAndFunposted 11 years ago

Ugghhhh. Please tell me this story isn't true. Waco is not all that far from where I am.

1. Pearldiver profile image68
      Pearldiverposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Don't Worry.... Criticism will only be forthcoming based entirely on your 'view' of the Moon! big_smile

1. Mighty Mom profile image79
        Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So if I only see a sliver does that mean less criticism than if I see a full moon?
        *fights instinct to post a "mooning" smilie here*

2. Aficionada profile image80

In the interview with Bill Nye that I read, the interviewer (filling in for Keith Olberman) mentioned Paris, not Waco - so maybe you're safe, depending on which direction from Waco and how far you are. big_smile - But I didn't follow the trail far enough to know which town was correct.

Also, Bill Nye's version of the situation didn't sound quite as sensational as the internet stories of that brief event that happened six years ago.

I guess the pertinent questions are:  (1) if the sensationalized story is repeated thousands of times on the internet, does that give it greater weight than the brief description made by the scientist in question?  (2) why would anyone allow themselves to get in a tizzy over something that 1-2 people did that long ago, when there are so many actual problems in the world today?

3. pennyofheaven profile image79
      pennyofheavenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heres a link from another thread that might help. Compliments of Chris Neal http://www.examiner.com/article/reporte … ory-speaks

4. Doc Sonic profile image72
      Doc Sonicposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No worries, the story doesn't appear to be true. At least not the way it's being reported. There was no booing, and out of a crowd of 600, a few people walked out. I don't think Texas is the only place you'll find a handful of religious fundamentalists among a crowd of 600 people. I live in Massachusetts, and we've got lots of 'em.

1. profile image56
        nonto21posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I live now in the dirty south. We have all of 'em.

1. Doc Sonic profile image72

'fraid not.

1. profile image56

From Arizona to West Virginia and all points south, there's a church on almost every city and neighborhood block. If you don't believe me, drive south and you'll see a dramatic increase in churches and religious propaganda.

1. recommend1 profile image60
              recommend1posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny thing is that China is crawling with fundamentalist fools secretly trying to spread their stupidity to naive people and making up horror stories of repression and suppression - yet the churches that are prominent and have no restrictions to anyone worshipping inside them - are empty.

1. profile image56

An open mind is, most often, the one to be rejected. You can't agree with one and deny the other, but you can't readily accept both. The atheist would say it is irrational and illogical, to accept both. The christian would say you were wrong and damn you to hell, for them, you have to be in full agreement with the doctrine. When they found the well had dried in Europe and an uneasy public revolted against certain forms of christianity,  they came to the America's. If theists run out of ears to assault and information to discredit, they latch then onto children, the only people too uneducated to resist. If that mode doesn't work, they find a new country and they start up with the chastizement and scare tactics their so well known for.

1. Doc Sonic profile image72

OK, well, I'm sorry that my comment started this string of vitriol towards people with religious belifs. My only point was that the story wasn't being reported accurately, and it's a mistake to conclude that people from Waco are stupid based on an inaccurate story. No criticism of any religion was intended.

1. profile image56

I was actually answering another persons comment, I believe it was recommend1. I don't have anything against the people, only what is being taught.

2. Chris Neal profile image78
                Chris Nealposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Tells me that God is working through the people who are actually spreading His word, and not the people who try to subvert it.

9. Gypsy Willow profile image64
    Gypsy Willowposted 11 years ago

If you only see a sliver it means someone's been eating it. It's made of cheese. every one knows that

10. Cheeky Girl profile image66
    Cheeky Girlposted 11 years ago

Remember when the Earth was flat? Oh right, of course. It's round. Silly me.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)