Supreme Court upholds key part of Arizona immigration law

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (30 posts)
  1. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 11 years ago

Supreme Court upholds key part of Arizona immigration law, strikes down rest
    By Liz Goodwin, Yahoo! News | The Ticket
    The Supreme Court upheld a key part of Arizona's tough anti-illegal immigration law in a 5-3 decision on Monday that allows police officers to ask about immigration status during stops. That part of the law, which never went into effect because of court challenges, will now immediately be enforced in Arizona. Other parts of the law, including a provision that made it a state crime for illegal immigrants to seek work, will remain blocked, as the justices affirmed the federal government's supremacy over immigration policy.
    read more
    http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/supr … 27514.html
    This is an important decision and  wonder if other states will follow with similar  law

1. JSChams profile image59
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I certainly hope so.

2. profile image0
      Sooner28posted 11 years agoin reply to this

It was a 9-0 decision on upholding the racist papers please part of the law.  I had some faith that the liberals might actually wise up sad

Maybe they will come through later.  They were on the right side of history with the Citizens United decision.

2. mikelong profile image61
    mikelongposted 11 years ago

The Supreme Court held up one aspect of the law:

-The police can ask for papers.

But, three other key components were struck down:

-The police cannot arrest someone without a warrant if they suspect that the person is a deportable immigrant.

-Immigrants failing to carry Federal registration papers are not in violation of state law.

-Workers who are undocumented will not be in violation of state law for seeking work.

This is a hollow victory at best for those who supported SB 1070. Personally, I thought the law was ridiculous and representative of many of the flawed, xenophobic people I know live in that state.

Well of course we could just have no borders. That would solve everything right? Then of course immediate citizenship with full benefits.
      That what we want?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Even Republican golden boy Mark Rudio says he understands why someone might come to a county illegally and that he would have done it too depending on the circumstances.

This is the only nation I am aware of that we are supposed to be ashamed that we don't allow illegal immigration openly.

But how do you tell by looking at people if they might be an illegal immigrant?

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
              Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. What about all those illegal white Canadians sneaking into Maine, NY, Michigan and other northern border states.
              The only way we can profile them is by their pronunciation, eh?

1. habee profile image93
                habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The real trick in identifying illegal Canadians is to ask them what bacon is. lol

1. American View profile image60
                  American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LMAO

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
              tirelesstravelerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If you live near the border and see people who vanish whenever law enforcement comes around, they might be illegal.  If you see a group of people near the border who are running across the interstate they might be illegal. If a person doesn't speak English and they won't look you in the eye, they might be illegal.  If you can't speak English, live in California and you have full ride scholarship to a state university you definitely are illegal cause citizens of California can't get those.

Ah...but you can speak English and still be an illegal alien. You can come from any country in the world...

2. Ron Montgomery profile image60
                Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_zLznuQOQgo4/S7YK7ZvmKdI/AAAAAAAAFQw/jU-tdnqEQqo/image%5B30%5D.png

Probably illegal....book'im Danno

1. prettydarkhorse profile image55
                  prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image61
                  Randy Godwinposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Heck, I hope they don't arrest folks just because they can't speak "proper" English.  Three fourths of the US would be deported.  lol

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/6812619.jpg

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

...including 98% of Southerners...yikes

2. ledefensetech profile image68
        ledefensetechposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To be honest, most immigration law is meant to keep people out.  In the late 19th century it was immigrants who filled the need for workers in the Industrial Revolution and their children reaped the benefits of that decision in building the most affluent society the world has ever seen.  It was in the heyday of Progressiveism of the 1920's and 1930's that current views on immigration developed.  Foreigners were seen as a threat as people forgot that it's not how many slices you can cut the pie, but making the pie bigger that counts.  People suddenly started thinking that if we allowed more people in here the fewer and fewer opportunities would be available and we'd be swamped with "useless mouths"

Today things are a bit different.  What most anti-immigration people don't want to see is the social safety net destroyed by immigrants.  Unfortunately our current crop of leaders want to see new arrivals put on the rolls so they can keep counting on the welfare vote in order to keep them in power.  The worst part of all this is that any new arrivals, once on the rolls, will have very little incentive to better themselves and will not only drain state coffers but will be virtual prisoners of the system.  Especially since they are not and will not be encouraged to learn the local language.  This will have the effect of a form of economic slavery and the creation of a large group of second-class citizens.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image60

Ahhhhhhh, the weird, wonderful LDT spin on things returns to HP.

Now please reconcile your statement with the rabid anti-Chinese, anti-Irish sentiment of the 19th century.

1. ledefensetech profile image68

It's all part and parcel of people not liking the "other".  Consider contemporary Japan with it's not hatred, but dislike, of gaijin or; closer to home the Mexican's dislike of gringos.  What you don't consider is that people, by and large, get along here like very few places elsewhere.  Consider that it's safer to be a Jew here than anywhere else.  Muslim sects, by and large, live in peace with each other here, whereas their homelands are killing fields.

You also fail to consider that even though people were concerned with race as a metaphor for culture, people tend to exalt their own culture over that of others.  What is supposed to be different about us is that we're supposed to let people live their lives without interference.  Something, sadly, that our contemporary society does not allow us to do.

3. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Yep, and I'm sure everyone will be stopped and asked for their papers not just those who look like they might be Hispanic... yeah, right...

Why do I keep hearing "You must show us your papers" in a German accent?

1. American View profile image60
      American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

"Why do I keep hearing "You must show us your papers" in a German accent?"

Is this how you feel every time you are asked for your drivers license?
      You are driving, you get pulled over by the police. You do not have any identification with you. The police officer will ask you questions trying to determine who you are, or if you're a criminal. Are you okay with that?

The fact is that the majority of traffic stops when the driver cannot produce something that the police officer requests, for example drivers license, insurance card, registration, the person is hiding something. It could be as simple that the cars not insured or not registered. Not having the drivers license with them could be a simple as they forgot it at home, but most of the time no ID is because a person does not want to be found out. They could have warrants for their arrest, they can be under suspicion for other crimes. So to make a determination police officer will question you. if during the course of questioning it is determined something is not right, you will be arrested. Is there anything wrong with that?

4. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

Jan Brewer is playing Polish that Turd

5. mikelong profile image61

The Mexican dislike of the "gringo's" you mention is nonsense.

Keep generalizing and making up garbage to promote a false point of view.

Do the basic research and you will find that the overwhelming percentage of those using public assistance are white natives....not immigrants, and not minorities.

But, I'm very familiar with your tripe, led. I have not forgotten you.

1. habee profile image93
      habeeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have to partially disagree, Mike. My uncle and a good friend of ours worked in Mexico for years, and we have several Mexican friends. They've told me that in some areas of Mexico, Americans are despised, while in others, Americans are treated almost like gods. Guess it just depends on where you are. I'm thinking that most nations are much the same way.

1. mikelong profile image61
        mikelongposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have lived in Mexico for periods of time...and I have experienced nothing but love.

I live, and have lived for most of my life, in a mostly Mexican American community. I was only one of 5 "white" kids at my junior high. I experienced some racism, but nothing compared to what I've seen directed at them...and of course I couple that first racism to the response that I received. Sprinkle in a little "identify with the aggressor" syndrome and we have an explanation.

Habee, you used a more correct "some", whereas LDS said Mexicans as a whole. His logic is completely off base.

People are treated with respect if they treat others with respect first. There are Mexicans who know full well that the United States has done to their nation, and many who know that there are many Americans who are racist against them.

2. ledefensetech profile image68

Dude, my mother is from Mexico and don't tell me about gringos.  My dad was a US Marine and couldn't wear his uniform in Mexico City outside the embassy due to los ninos that died back when the Marines took Chapultepec castle.  So don't talk to me about racism in Mexico.  That being said most Mexicans like Americans as a general rule, what they hate is our governmental policies towards their people.  Can't say as I blame them with things like the occupation of Vera Cruz and things like Operation Fast and Furious.

I happened to take my wife there to meet my family a year ago after we got married and they welcomed her like family.  One thing I did notice was that a nine year old kid died and Acapulco due to guns linked to Operation Fast and Furious.  You'd be hard pressed to find anything like that in American newscasts.  Even with all that the general run of Mexicans are as welcoming to gringos as we are of foreigners.  But when considering Americans as a group the old gringo prejudices come out.

Just another example of the folly of looking at people as a group and not as individuals.

6. mikelong profile image61

I understand well the legacy, especially of the Marine Corps, in Mexico. I earned my blood stripe. I am not surprised on that regard. Don't speak of racism....the elites running Mexico are mostly European too (and the ones who aren't have bought their "white card"). Chapultapec Castle, to a large percentage of the native American population of Mexico is a sign of foreign domination as well. As I said, there are those who are aware of the atrocities and crimes carried out in the past (and currently) in that nation. This is true.

Let us not generalize "Mexican" too much either. I have had students from Oaxaca, for example, who were raised extensively in Mixteca culture, and Spanish was their second language in Mexico before, eventually, coming to the United States. Then, one woman I'm thinking of in particular, speaks limited English, and with an accent. I wonder how many people have treated her, and those like her, as simply "Mexicans", as well as in terms of "less capable/able" than "Native White Americans". I have seen this before too..

Led, my in-laws are Mexican. They are citizens of Mexico as well as the United States, from the Districto Federal as well as Jalisco. Many, if not most, of my closest friends are of Mexican, some in terms of heritage and others in terms of actual citizenship.

But, this is where the generalities meet the reality.

I stayed extensively in small ejidos four hours or so north of Ciudad Durango. A former girlfriend had family in two different hamlets, and we traveled in between.

When I was in junior high I ran with a mostly Mexican-based gang. I had some firefighter from New York (here on hubpages, who knows who he actually is) try to explain to me that non-Latinos (especially non-Mexicans) are not allowed into Trece gangs. He was lecturing me on the racism against whites, in particular, that existed.

I never saw it. We watched each others' backs, and no one cared what ethnic background one was. I'm part Armenian, and part Native American and North Western European(although I believe we are all inherently related regardless...so the distinctions are actually moot). Armenians fought for their "whiteness" in American courts, so, I am compelled to check the white box (though I don't believe it actually exists). But, I was equally recruited into the Hard Core Freaks clique of Barrio San Fernando Trece. I never took the full initiation. Having friends shot and killed while still in junior high is not something that youth should have to contend with....but this is reality.

1. ledefensetech profile image68

You're talking about the difference between looking at individuals and groups.  When you talk about groups you tend to generalize, when you talk about individuals you're more specific.  That's just a condition of being human.  We process so much information each day that we can't help but generalize things so that we can make at least some sense of the world.

How cool, I have family in DF also.  Most of the family is from Orizaba and Toluca.  I had the good fortune a year ago to visit with my new wife.  Being something of a history buff, I was ecstatic to visit places like Chapultepec and,  yes, the cult of los ninos is alive and well there.  I still don't think that Marines are allowed to wear their uniforms outside the embassy.  My mother also told me to undertake a pilgrimage of sorts to La Villa de Guadalupe and light a votive candle.  I was born premature and she prayed to God that if I survived she'd do that every time she was in Mexico City.  Since I was going, it was my job now.  It was a very moving experience and a very peaceful place.  I look forward to returning on my next trip.

I'm also not surprised that your gang didn't really "see" color or race.  Much the same thing happened in the US military during WW II.  If there's one good thing which came out of that wretched period was the exposure of so many Americans to each other in a situation where you literally could not indulge in racism.  Not when the guy in the foxhole right next to you might save your life, no matter who he was or where he came from.  In fact, without that I doubt very much the Civil Rights movement would have gotten as much traction as it did in the 50's and 60's.

7. Ron Montgomery profile image60
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)