When should personal liberty be curtailed?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (88 posts)
  1. JSChams profile image60
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

At what point does the ideology one one group allow for the removal of personal liberties across the board? I am of course speaking of the Health Care law and not another rhetorical concept of any sort.
    Does Obamacare allow the Government to dictate my actions so as not to be irresponsible to society?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That's what you do when you buy insurance for car, same as when you have communicable disease! You need to be responsible for yourself and others.

There is a limit to freedom because you peruse many of society's structures, roads etc.

C'mon don't be selfish, that is what societies are here for. In the long run, universal heath care is the best for you and your children, your grandchildren.

JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Car insurance doesn't limit my freedom. The IRS isn't coming for me if I don't have car insurance. No one else will either if I don't get pulled over or have an accident.

I really respect your point, but my point is that health is a basic need and freedom is just an idea. If we all have the opportunities to prolong life and the quality of it, why not? smile smile

In addition to that, if you don't like to buy health care for example because of freedom etc., if you have a disease which is communicable you are risking others. You can't live alone in this world and can't affect others.

1. profile image0
            Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Freedom is not just an idea. It's something more than a need.

2. getitrite profile image71
          getitriteposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But go and try to register your car, and see how the DMV will revoke your privilege.

Isn't that the way the IRS will implement this...the same thing.  It is when you try to file your taxes, that the IRS will get you. Same as the DMV.

You should probably be protesting car insurance, as well.

1. Reality Bytes profile image74
            Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Government does not force every individual to purchase car insurance!

1. getitrite profile image71

OK.  I stand corrected.  Please proceed with your tantrum against the current administration.  Unfortunately, for you, there is about to be four more years of this "tyranny"

1. profile image0
                PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

People who actually live with "tyranny" would laugh at the spoiled babies who call Obama a tyrant for wanting everyone to have health care.

1. getitrite profile image71

That's why it is apparent that these people have a hidden agenda.  They just HATE President Obama.

That is just silly.  lol

2. JSChams profile image60

No....we are just used to liberty and want it to stay that way.

2. Billy Hicks profile image81
            Billy Hicksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The difference is, if you don't want to pay for car insurance, you can simply choose not to have a car. You can't "opt out" of this health care law, which is the largest complaint I've been hearing from people.

Why are you trying to disrupt a well thought out point with facts.  lol

2. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And that would be pathetically misguiding people into believing junk. At a legal age a person can buy a car. Insurance IS forced upon people. Insurance isn't required for the operation of the car. It has NOTHING to do with the car itself, UNLESS something happens either with the car or to the car. By LAW you cannot have a car without insurance. It's WRONG. People can buy a car. Just legally cannot drive or move it anywhere.
              You cannot OPT OUT of a lot of the pathetic laws governing people.

3. Friendlyword profile image60
          Friendlywordposted 11 years agoin reply to this

For real?
          for the sake of your total freedom from society; you should be able to drive a car over a child and not have to pay a cent to pay for that childs recovery or death?

And, when your car rolls over after you maim or kill the child; we have to pay for your wheelchair and portable respirator.(so you can run over another child?)

Who said that? Not me.
            I said it's my choice just as it should be my choice whether or not i have insurance. I understand your confusion as that level of liberty may be a foreign concept to you.

1. Josak profile image60
              Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

So people should be able to choose whether they pay for education, whether they pay for the military? It's just a tax for a service there is no limitation of liberty.

I never said any of that either and you know that very very well.
                It is so amazing the fight the administration put up that by God this was not a tax. Not a  tax. not a tax. Obama even straightened George Stephonopolous out on that very point.

But now.....oh my aren't we happy this is a tax? never met a tax they didn't like.
                Let's not forget something. This law is a bill. Bills get amended pretty regularly.

1. Josak profile image60

I always considered it a tax and now the supreme court has confirmed it is exactly that, we can safely ignore the spin of politicians can't we? It's a tax for a service no limitation of liberties.

Josak , you are frustrating.

Did you see my previous post? Where I mentioned bills being amended. The government in this case has been handed too much unfettered power.
                    The SCOTUS decision is a precedent. With that precedent any number of such programs can be ruled a tax and the American people themselves will have no actual voice in what is occurring just as the majority were shouted down with Obamacare.

I stated in comment to a hub earlier that anything this sweeping and with such grasp of a large portion of the economy should have been a national referendum.

And NO Barack Obama was NOT the referendum.

2. Josak profile image60

Healthcare is just a tax for a service just like schools tax or the taxes that fund the military and police, it is not a limitation of your liberty. End of story.

1. American View profile image62
        American Viewposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hmmm Blue Cross does not call it a tax, they cal them premiums

3. Chris Dane profile image62
      Chris Daneposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not sure why you think the government is going to come after you for not purchasing health insurance. I thought the big revelation of the Supreme Court decision was that this wasn't a mandate but a tax. They decision actually severely limited the government's mandate ability through the commerce clause.

So, that means if you have healthcare, you don't get taxed. If you don't get healthcare, then your IRS refund receives a deduction. And since I'm sure we're all good about avoiding taxes, we'll use the health care exchanges or enrollment assistance to avoid the tax. What's the big deal?

4. Cagsil profile image70

Government shouldn't need to curtail liberty for any reason, regardless. wink

Correctomundo.
        Watch and see how long it takes for them to begin telling folks what they can and can't do now because of this law.

5. John Holden profile image61
      John Holdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I suppose that if, say, you get hit and seriously injured by a car and are prepared to lie there in the road until you die then yes, you stand up for your liberties.

6. profile image0

I'd actually rather that than have to carry around a government ID card. Weird, huh?

2. JSChams profile image60
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

What wrong folks? Don't want to see ourselves in the mirror?

3. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 11 years ago

Personal liberties should never be curtailed by any government unless such 'activity' is deemed to be illegal by the population, not the government.  The Federal Government of the United States was not founded to decide which liberties we can enjoy and which we cannot.  The Federal government was not founded to make life in this country 'fair'.  At 57 years old I find we have surrendered so many of our personal liberties I no longer recognize this country as the one I was born in.

As far as Obama's joke regarding healthcare.  Too many deals, too many lies, too many accounting tricks.  Anytime a politician, like Pelosi, tells you they have to pass the bill in order to know whats in it you know you're screwed.

Millions of poor and lower middle class Americans firmly believe they are getting free healthcare.  None have bothered to actually read any part of the massive bill.  Read the first 200 pages, if you can, then tell me you support it.  We need healthcare reform.  We DO NOT need the government running healthcare.

Ah....at last one who is enlightened!

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 11 years agoin reply to this

They don't teach American history anymore.  They teach what they wish might have been.  Obama signed his own death warrant with the decision.

1. profile image0

I agree with a lot of what you said, but I think you need to explain this comment. Perhaps what you mean is that President Obama is unlikely to be reelected because of this decision?

4. joer4x4 profile image61
    joer4x4posted 11 years ago

Answer: When they feel like it.

5. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

It is amusing to hear about all of the right-wingers saying today that they will flee this "tyranny" by moving to Canada...

Their other option is to vote out the president who got this passed and replace him with the man who first championed it.  They can't seem to grasp the reality that for once the nutjobs lost and the American people won.

Sorry, it happens sometimes...

Ah.....my good friend who posted full frontal nudity on my forum and got it shut down. I said something unfortunate...to them ...about Barack and got banned but you remained untouched.
      How charming.

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
        Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Really?  You got banned and don't understand why?

Really?  You think a woman in a bikini top, shot from the waist up is full-frontal nudity?

Really?  You think a law that says poor people should get health care too is tyranny?

Really?  You think Rush Limbaugh is a constitutional scholar?

No to most of that but regardless you were a factor.

2. American View profile image62

It may not have been Ron, but the thread did get shut down because of the picture

Not according to the moderator

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61

Not according to the moderator

Yes according to the moderator, I saw it before the entire thread was taken down.

No, you are wrong...

If I am wrong, post it again and lets see what happens.

Thanks AV. I got your back anytime.

2. Ron Montgomery profile image61

I'll wait to see if the burka clears first.

1. profile image0

Seriously, you can get a whole thread shut down by posting a picture into it? Wow. OMG, I see the little camera button right there...oh, the temptation...aaaaack! I can't help myself now.

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/6830558_f248.jpg

6. Ron Montgomery profile image61
    Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years ago

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-f9c78wJGaf0/TailRC2nexI/AAAAAAAAACs/0iNihOfxWMs/s1600/islam-burka.jpg

1. Josak profile image60

HAHAHAH I just sprayed coffee everywhere.

I guess this would be considered partial frontal nudity.

2. prettydarkhorse profile image63

It is hot here but I am smiling! lol lol lol

Really?  I can't tell through the hood.

lol

7. innersmiff profile image67
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

99% of the defense for Obamacare is moralising nonsense, and 0% of it is based on any empirical evidence. Whether you believe government should be running healthcare or not, Obamacare will definitely not improve the health of the country in the long term. The bill basically allows insurance companies to stiff the consumers with no monetary consequences. The thing was written by insurance companies for pete's sake.

You said

"The bill basically allows insurance companies to stiff the consumers with no monetary consequences"

It is not empirical evidence if you predict what will happen in the future, isn't it?

8. Bob Zermop profile image67
    Bob Zermopposted 11 years ago

No, I don't think the ACA sets any dangerous precedent. Because, like conservatives have been saying for so long, it's a tax, Congress' powers are limited to that. Taxes are easily regulated and repealed, so I don't believe there's any danger there. Whether the ACA is good policy is a different question than whether it's constitutional.

If you look on some similar forums you will see a link I posted about the IRS.
      HP wont let me post it on this forum. Too many links to it.

9. peoplepower73 profile image90
    peoplepower73posted 11 years ago

After reading this forum, I think people are confused about the Affordable Care Act.  There are two parts two it.  There is the main law and the Individual mandate.  Here is how the individual mandate works.

Individual Mandate - effective 2014

Here is where the most confusion comes into play.

• Individuals who don't have insurance, but can afford it, will be required to obtain basic health insurance coverage or pay a tax to help offset the costs of caring for uninsured Americans.

• If affordable coverage is not available to an individual, he or she will be eligible for an exemption. This law will affect 1% of the population.
    • Please understand, if you already have insurance, this law will not affect you

10. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

social contract?

Can anyone show me a copy of this contract, with my endorsement, consenting to be part of said contract?

1. Josak profile image60

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_contract

You participate in it daily, it's why you pay taxes and it's why you receive the services of the state under sovereignty.

Social contract arguments typically posit that individuals have consented, either explicitly or tacitly, to surrender some of their freedoms and submit to the authority of the ruler or magistrate

I DO NOT CONSENT!

There, done!

1. Josak profile image60

Great, leave, the protection of this state, your citizenship and the privileges that gives are part of that contract, your side of the contract is to obey the law.

Depends on your definition of Law, doesn't it?

FMOTL!

1. Josak profile image60

The law is not actually up for your interpretation, it's the will of the people through their elected representatives, you have a vote and a voice to change it but not the right to break or ignore it.

1. Cagsil profile image70

Actually, the Law is open to interpretations, otherwise they would be absolute and NO law is absolute.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74

"What is Lawful Rebellion?

Rebellion can be defined as;

1.Refusal to consent to an authority a code or a convention.

2. An action or display of resistance of authority of an established government.

Lawful can be defined as;

1. Staying within the boundaries of the Law.

2. Actions which are permitted by Law.

3. Methods of dissent that do not violate any Laws.

4. A lawful refusal to consent to an authority that is unjust!

Statutes and Codes although having the power of Law, are not Laws!

1. Josak profile image60

See that is just not true, the elected officials have the power to draft laws, that includes statutes and codes and violating them in an way is a crime, call it whatever you want, don't pay your taxes (code) and see what happens.

If you consent to being responsible for your government created corporate strawman, go for it.  You are more than free to accept the lies you have been told your whole life!  I am a human being not a legal fiction.

I pay zero in taxes, legally!

2. Quilligrapher profile image73
          Quilligrapherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Howdy RB. It has been a while, has it not?

While there is no physical, signed contract, there is still an implicit contract that we enter into when we willingly participate in society and enjoy its benefits. In addition, even if a state of anarchy did exist, it would still be in everyone’s interest to form a social contract. Thus, the justification for the state, and for morally generally, would still exist. The social contract is an implicit agreement among self-interested, rational people.
          Since you imagine you can voluntarily excuse yourself from participating in the social contract with the rest of us, you choose not to consent to the existing rule of authority. I hear you!

Therefore, it must follow you do not vote. As an outsider, you do not care what government regulations are passed, and you refrain from trying to change or influence the behavior of others who subscribe to the social contract. Obviously, you do not respect posted highway speed limits or traffic lights and you do not expect others to conform either. You do not expect others to respect agreements they have made with you and you do not think others should expect you to keep your agreements either. You do not rely on any laws nor expect any enforcement agencies to protect you or your family from murder, assault, theft, and vandalism. You do not care if others, individually or in concert, infringe upon your free speech, religious beliefs, or penalize you based on your race of gender.

In addition, I expect you have voluntarily opted out of all public services. You do not expect to share any benefits acquired and accrued by society. You home school your children. You refuse free fire protection and EMS. You do not engage in commerce. You do not use any mass transit or travel on public roadways. You do not consider yourself a citizen of the United States and you have no passport.

Do all of these statements apply to you? They must because only an anarchist or a hypocrite would enjoy the many advantages of society without feeling some obligation to play by the rules, all of the rules.

Stay well, RB. I respect your views and opinions. And, as you know, I have no desire to sway you from them. However, it is important to note that many do not see them all as compatible with their expectations for the future.
          Q.

I live up to any contractual obligations that I consent to.

I harm no one, and I respect the property of others at all times.  I do not need authority to enforce these things upon me.

The Police are not here to protect us, they will however write a nice report on what happened. I am in a much better situation to protect me and mine then any Law enforcement agency will ever be!

I do not drive so traffic laws are irrelevant, I know the argument "STAY OFF OUR ROADS", my response is always "Get your roads off of OUR fields"

My Rights do not exist due to the benevolence of any government created entity.  My Rights exist due to my creation!  I am willing to Fight for these Rights and die if need be!

I do not use any public services.

I do not engage in commerce with federal reserve notes.!  I was an employed taxpaying citizen when my children attended school.  I lived up to my parental obligations, only once they left home did I FREE myself!

I am not chattel (citizen)!  I am a Freeman, a sovereign individual, I do not violate any Law, I have not had a confrontation with authority in over twenty years.

LOL, take your roads off of OUR fields!

Nice chat Quilligrapher. My response looks like a cluster of bird shot, but I have tried to respond to all your questions.

ps:  I have an acquaintance that has asked me to run his business for the past two years, at a $2000.00 a week salary.  I do not consent!

Who is John Galt?

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
              peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Everything you said is great,... if you lived on a island by yourself!

I do not!

1. peoplepower73 profile image90
                  peoplepower73posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Do you realize that this medium your are using now, the internet was developed by our government for the sole purpose of defense against an enemy. So that in case all of our lines of communication were cut-out that the defense department would still have a way of communicating with Universeties for information?

The department is called DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Project Authority). They worked in conjunction with CERN, a Swiss Government entity. The beauty of the internet is that it can reroute your information in bits and pieces all over the world until it gets to its destination and then it is reassembled. Their is a reason for that it's so if the lines of communicaton are destroyed, the information can still get through.  So by you communicating on the internet, you are enjoying a creation by two govenment entitiies. And they still are in control, at a very high level.  If you don't believe me, just google what I have said. I don't mean this to by sarcastic. I just want you to be aware of this.  Enjoy the internet.

Ok, I do not get your point?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)