Evidence of 'God particle' found

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (48 posts)
  1. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

GENEVA – Scientists working at the world's biggest atom smasher plan to announce Wednesday that they have gathered enough evidence to show that the long-sought "God particle" answering fundamental questions about the universe almost certainly does exist.
    Martial Trezzini, AP

Scientists working at the The Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest atom smasher, may have discovered the existence of "The God Particle."

Scientists working at the The Large Hadron Collider, the world's largest atom smasher, may have discovered the existence of "The God Particle."

But after decades of work and billions of dollars spent, researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, aren't quite ready to say they've "discovered" the particle.

Instead, experts familiar with the research at CERN's vast complex on the Swiss-French border say that the massive data they have obtained will essentially show the footprint of the key particle known as the Higgs boson — all but proving it exists — but doesn't allow them to say it has actually been glimpsed.
    It appears to be a fine distinction.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/st … 55981840/1

If this is true, how much knowledge can be gained by this discovery.

( I am not under the illusion that God was actually discovered.)

2. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

What if that particle is from the other guy...?

1. profile image59
      logic,commonsenseposted 11 years ago

What if there is no god?  What kind of particle is it then?

Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

LOL, I do not think anyone actually believes the particle proves the existence of a god.

2. Nouveau Skeptic profile image63
      Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years ago

I think it makes more sense to just keep calling it the Higgs Boson particle.

Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This!   ^^^^^^

2. profile image0
        Kathryn LJposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But the Higgs Boson particle just sounds soooo commercial, who could possibly take it seriously.  Where as the God particle has stirred the interest of the religious forum guys, right up to the point they realised it was all about science.  Proving the existence of God?  Now that really would put the cat amongst the pigeons, what would they all rant about if there really where a god particle?  Well there would be no need for faith, for a start.

3. knolyourself profile image60
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

"[[may]] have discovered the existence".. For "billions of dollars spent," are they not required to find something?

1. Nouveau Skeptic profile image63
        Nouveau Skepticposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It is the nature of research that you can only find some if 1) it is there and 2) you worked out how to find it.

If the outcome was certain, the research would be unnecessary.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image80
        Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

99.9% sure...

4. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

they have no parlay . we found something of no real use.

Yeah, the basic structure of reality and the universe.  Who would possibly care about that?

1. Ron Montgomery profile image61
          Ron Montgomeryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

lol

5. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

why do we want to know the basic structure?  to  tamper with it?

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yep. We want to take apart hell, and put it back together as heaven.

Because we are curious and want to understand the world.

6. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

we found it . ok now what? they have no answer that's all im  thinking.

7. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

thats your reasoning?  sighs

Hopefully, we wont screw it up. lol

8. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

ever think we might create a god with this god particle?  we will all be shtin then right? lol

I think there is a distinct possibility that we are going to technologically put our foot in it big-time sooner or later...

Um, no.  It's just a name.  It hasn't got any literal relation to God.

9. knolyourself profile image60
      knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Think it means the all-and-everything particle or the Holy Grail.

10. Paul Wingert profile image60
      Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

Religion has nothing to do with this. It's amusing to see the Bible thumpers throw in there two cents whenever a discovery or alteration in scientific theory comes up. What's funnier is that most people don't know what a theory is even though they work with them on a daily basis. One of the purposes of a theory is to be disproved. Throwing the Bible at the Big Bang and evolution does nothing to disprove it. It only generates laughter and sometimes pity. People forget that religion is in the business of promoting faith, not historical accuracy or scientific fact or theory.

11. Reality Bytes profile image74

I bought a copy of "Dancing Wu Li Masters: An Overview of the New Physics" yesterday.  I wonder if this new find is going to make the book irrelevant. smile

12. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

curiosity  killed the cat

Ignorance also kills a lot of cats

13. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

what i posted was a old saying.       im not against  science. i love it.   i  participated in this forum  to discus  the implications and  possible applications  of the science in question.

I posted a response to an old saying.  If you want to discuss the implication you might want to say what they are?  Rather than just the old 'knowing stuff is dangerous' trope.  How is knowing what really causes mass dangerous?

14. quicksand profile image80
      quicksandposted 11 years ago

Either Higgs or Bose exclaimed "that goddamed particle ... ! (This was stated in an article on HubPages! Unfortunately I did not bookmark it.)

That goddamed particle does not show up or reveal its traits! When tempers cooled down, "goddamed" was shortened to what it is now referred to. (According to that article!)

However, the characteristics of "that" particle if ever they are able to uncover may shed a lot of new light on many things.

15. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

i purposed a possible purpose . we seek  the  way things work in order not just to understand   it but to  alter it tamper with the natural order of things.  maybe   we want to weaponize  . maybe we  are looking   for power source. maybe   to  create or become godlike. hell i don't know. they arnt saying. i simply brought up opening Pandora box  . its not just my fear.  argumentativeness is counter productive. and im sure the discovery wont address this  problem within society.  you have yet to put out one application for this discovery other than just to know. sorry   just  knowing something doesn't quench my   thirst.    just because is a answer you give a child when you don't know the answer .

You still don't have any specific suggestion as to what horror might emerge from understanding mass.

It might just as easily lead to a kind of space flight that allows our species to not die when the earth dies.  All things have good and bad possibilities attached. 

Saying "knowledge is scary and might kill us all" is not more or less valid that saying "knowledge is hope and might save us all".  Thus your comment and my response were equally vapid. The latter by design.

16. paradigmsearch profile image60

Pandora said to say hi. big_smile

17. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

para  so you don't know either. the applications. jest is funny . but  not really helpful. remember that wonder fiber called asbestos ?

18. paradigmsearch profile image60

http://ndep.nv.gov/boff/percila.jpg
      My personal favorite...

19. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

ty  a picture is worth a 1000 words. and you gave a example and a definitive possible outcome.   be it matter were talking about , its mastery . i hope the discovery is a step on our way to teleportation .

20. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

if we master  matter. we will  become able to manipulate it.   logistics will become light speed and resources will be able to be taken  full advantage of. food would not sit in a dumpster while people starve . fuel will not be needed to perpetuate our purpose.

21. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

let me not be misunderstood !

22. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

if said particle be taking us into this realm of possibility . then i herald  its arrival . and sounds the trumpets.

23. Nell Rose profile image88
      Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

The higgs boson is just the glue that holds all the 'matter' in the universe together. it explains why everything does what it does. Thats it really. fascinating if you like physics and I love physics.

I'm a pro-physics guy, myself.

24. aware profile image65
      awareposted 11 years ago

8 posts  ago i used the word asbestos . 2 posts ago nell posted and prompted me to  read a hub of hers.http://nell-rose.hubpages.com/hub/Gypsies-but-sometimes-Thieves-But-only-Funny-things. was that hub . a couple paragraphs into that hub was the word asbestos . there's a physics lesson in there some where. lol.

1. Nell Rose profile image88
        Nell Roseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

thanks,  was it the higgs boson that sent you on your way? lol! for the life of me I can't see the connection between a higgs and a gypsy, any Ideas? Oh asbestos! lol!

I am struggling to see the connection to, perhaps you could charitably spell it out a bit more.

I am not sure there is a closely connection with asbestos than, say, penicillin,

25. paradigmsearch profile image60

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/5467440_f1024.jpg
      "God's Particle gets loose!"

Tomorrow's headline. big_smile

1. Nell Rose profile image88
        Nell Roseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

If the Higgs gets heartburn does it higgup? roll

26. Nell Rose profile image88
      Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Interesting point about the name God particle. It started life as the Goda...ed particle, but was changed as people didn't approve of swearing! and the other reason was that, like God, it was all around us but couldn't be seen. So you see, its not really a God particle, its a God...ed particle! fact! just read it on the news page!

27. Reality Bytes profile image74

It is in the news!

I congratulate the thousands of scientists around the globe for their outstanding work in searching for the Higgs boson," said U.S. Secretary of Energy Steven Chu. "Today's announcement on the latest results of this search shows the benefits of sustained investments in basic science by governments around the world. Scientists have been looking for the Higgs particle for more than two decades; these results help validate the Standard Model used by scientists to explain the nature of matter."

http://phys.org/wire-news/102961126/sea … -part.html

Fascinating discovery.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)