Fair Weathered Family Members

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (9 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image83
    gmwilliamsposted 11 years ago

It seems that some family members only contact you when they want something.  Otherwise to them, you do not exist.   They have no consideration whatsoever.   They do not even care about your circumstances, only what they can get!  Do you agree with this premise?

1. teacherjoe52 profile image62
      teacherjoe52posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I can't say about family, however there are many so called friends encountered through the ages that fit this discription very well

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
        Jason Marovichposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Every human being has the capacity to be insecure.  Family members are not exempt.  What makes the OP's observation so striking is that it's true.  There are too many expectations from them on their siblings or parents.  The result is a crushing feeling that one should do everything in their power to help their 'own blood'.  In reality, we are all on this ship alone, it's designed to be that way, in my opinion (Childhood withstanding, of course).

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

For anyone's specific family members, where it is only all about them - yes.

3. profile image0
    Arlene V. Pomaposted 11 years ago

Wonderful observation (as usual).  Since both of my parents are from the Philippines, the families left behind still think that the U.S. has streets of gold, money is plentiful, and everyone living here is rich.  It kinda reminds me of the days of the conquistadors--The Fountain of Youth or the Seven Cities of Gold? Sooooooo, many of my relatives back in the Philippines will always ask for money, and they have their lame reasons like dental work or money for schooling.  If it's not for them, it's for one of their 10 children.  I don't even bother.  I have nothing against people helping out the folks back home, but I know these relatives too well.  My brother made the mistake of sending money to a relative for dental work, but the money went into cock fighting or booze.  He was too lazy to improve himself or get a job.  The last thing wrong with him was his teeth!  My father ran away at 16 and started a new life in Hawaii.  He was getting away from these leeches because no amount of money he sent them was enough.

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, yes.  My mother was the oldest of ten children.  Out of the ten children, three were what one may classify as successful and the rest are middling to struggling.  Okay, let me further elaborate.   The others do not want to improve themselves not one iota.   However....yes, there is a however.... they want to live a good life.   So they ask my mother for monies  "when something happens."   My late father called them parasites and I totally concur.   I portend that if you want something, work for it!  Well, my two aunts asked me to loan them monies.  I did and charged them interest with the repayment.   I received the monies.   I told them that if I did not receive my payment in kind, I will get a collection agency to go after them- that scared them.

Not only the seven siblings are trifling, their children are also trifling.  They ask for monies because they want to live an affluent lifestyle. Only a few of the cousins attended college, most finished high school.   Well, I do not loan them monies at all!    They only call when they want something.  I never cared for them and have cut all contact with them.  Good riddance!

4. profile image0

You were so smart to charge interest!  GOOD RIDDANCE to those people who are not responsible for their actions.  Now, the only one I have left to completely cut off is a relative who sends graduation invitations.  Of course, she and the kids are expecting gifts or money, but I was never included in their lives.  I guess, to them, my wallet has taken on a generous personality of its own every May or June?  LOL!

gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Oh yes, I want to add another scenario.   My mother stated to me that my middle aunt relayed that a maternal great aunt who was affluent should have helped my grandmother who was continuously getting pregnant, having ten kids in all.  Well, I opined that my grandmother should have used birth control if she did not want to have the ten kids!

5. profile image0

Uh oh!  I am the first of three.  The only girl.  So I have to laugh.  Until I turned forty-five, everyone kept asking me when I was going to have children.  It was such a relief when they quit asking.  So now, strangers will ask me, "How old are your grandchildren?"  My mom is financially set.  More than any of her kids and in-laws put together.  Being affluent, it must be a drag when family members are always expecting you to help out.  I wouldn't ask my mom for financial help.  That would be begging.  Also, she is so tight with her money that she keeps track of everything.  If she loaned anyone money, they would never hear the end of it until the loan was paid off.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)