Quick question to those against what you call Obamacare?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (129 posts)
  1. profile image0
    screamingposted 11 years ago

If you found yourself with no insurance, unable to afford private insurance, and (you, your spouse, your children, your parents, or your grandkids) were in need of medical treatment. Would you be against Obamacare?

1. wilderness profile image93
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have no insurance, am unable to afford private insurance and both my spouse and I are in need of medical treatment.

I neither demand nor expect, nor do I want, someone else to take care of my needs.  If I can't do it myself, so be it.

So yes, I am against Obamacare - it is nothing more than welfare for those wanting health care but won't or can't afford it.  This country does not need an expanded welfare system.

1. profile image0
        screamingposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You need to research a bit more. Under the plan all will pay in something. And I'm sorry to hear you and your spouse put death over a possible treatment for yourselves and possibly loved ones in the future.

Yes, all would pay something.  In my financial condition I might pay 10% of the actual cost.  Someone else is then required to pick up the rest of it, most likely against their will.

I would expect that, just like taxes, half the country would be required to pay for free medical care for the other half.  That is, to me, unacceptable.

2. 910chris profile image74
          910chrisposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We are all gonna be paying a lot more than that. It's Not Paid For: The CBO says the current House plan would increase the deficit by $239 billion over 10 years. And that number will likely continue to rise over the long term. Similar entitlement bills in the past, including Medicare, have scored much lower than their actual eventual cost. A new study released by the Peterson Foundation estimates the House bill would add $1 trillion to the deficit in the second decade.

That's OK though, we will just print more money!! YAY!

2. profile image0
        PrettyPantherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fascinating.  Who do you think will pick up the cost if you or your spouse or both become disabled or end up in need of hospice care?

Do you expect those around you to let you die if you don't have the money?

Incredibly cruel.

Pretty, I have accepted no charity in my 62 years of life; rather I have given it.

I have no intention of accepting any now, particularly charity that is forced upon those that don't want to give it.  If I cannot afford something I don't get to have it.  It's called taking care of and supporting ones self - something this country seems have forgotten how to do.

1. profile image0

Sorry, I do not see you as noble; I see you as deluded and sad.

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Why?

1. profile image0

Because people like him (her?) inevitably end up costing others money, usually a lot of money.

Oh. roll

2. wilderness profile image93

Deluded?  Sad?  Understanding that no man is an island, and that most will have hard times at some point, do you not believe that people can and do provide for themselves?  Do you not understand that pride that goes with supporting yourself without demanding charity from someone else? 

Or have you fallen into the deadly trap of believing that America owes you a living from cradle to grave, that there is no reason to put food on your own table (or buy your own health care)?  Do you find pride in working the American system so that it, not you, provides for your daily needs?  Are you contemptuous of our ancestors of a century ago that raised a family by hard work rather than government charity?

If so there really is delusion and sadness.

1. profile image0

Are you a Christian? If so, you don't care about your fellow man? You'd rather let a person die then make sure everyone has the ability to purchase health insurance? Just curious.

1. Josak profile image59
                  Josakposted 11 years agoin reply to this

This is the crux of the issue for me, according to the harvard study on the matter the Obamacare measure will save 45 000 lives yearly, if you are willing to let them die to save you some tax dollars be it on your conscience, I will be paying it happily.

http://prescriptions.blogs.nytimes.com/ … hs-a-year/

2. wilderness profile image93

No, I'm not big on mythology, although I do contribute to charities and help out with cash and labor where I can.  What does being a Christian have to do with anything?  Do you honestly think that people believing in ancient stories and fables are the only ones that care?

The point is twofold:
                  1.  America cannot give everyone the ability to purchase health insurance without going bankrupt.  At least not with the level of care we have come to expect and demand and without stopping other forms of charity (such as food, or housing).

2.  Whatever I think about letting someone die because of lack of health care I do not have the right to take from anyone else to provide care for a 3rd person (or for myself or loved ones).  It is not mine to take or dispense. 

What is about Christians that they believe they have an innate right to pocketbooks everywhere?  It is not yours: keep your hands off of it.  Contribute voluntarily, as I do, but stay out of your neighbors pocketbook.

1. profile image0

I'm glad you're doing so well. Hope that never changes for you or yours! If it does however, I can hope those you are shunning here can forgive you!

2. profile image0

Chances are high that you will eventually get old and sick.  Your spouse, if he/she is still alive, will have to seek medical care for you, and since you don't have insurance and have not sought medical attention when you need it, it will end up costing a bundle.  The costs will be borne by others, whether or not you personally want it to happen.  You know this, I am sure.  Yet, you continue to delude yourself that you are somehow more noble for pretending that you will never accept help.

That is what I mean by sad and deluded.

As for the rest of your ridiculous questions, just because I support our government spending money on the health of its citizens does not mean that I myself do not work hard and am supported by the government.  I live on a farm, grow much of my own food, including meat, work two jobs and own my own business.  Your assumptions about me are as ridiculous as your belief that you are somehow more noble just because you make the naive and deluded choice to die instead of seek medical care that would save your life.  Naive, because when the time comes you will undoubtedly not have much of a choice, and deluded, because you think you are somehow special.

Assumptions about you?  I asked about your belief and attitude concerning self support to find out - not to make assumptions.  If you took it that way I'm sorry, but any assumptions you think I might have made were certainly no more offensive than the ones you are clearly proclaiming about me.

Another question, though.  I could, by severely limiting my expenditures, buy insurance.  Sell both cars and walk or bicycle to grocery stores.  Without transportation there is no way and no need to ever leave my neighborhood - all entertainment is gone.  Cancel satellite TV.  Cancel two cell phones and get a land line again.  No eating out or movies, no taking grandkids to the park.  No gift purchases for children or grandchildren.  No visiting siblings in nearby cities.  No camping trips (our only real travel).  Keep the internet as HP more than pays for it, but other than that sit at home and vegetate, watching reruns of "I Love Lucy" on local channels..

That will likely give me enough $$ to buy insurance. 

Now. The money that you will contribute to my Obamacare insurance is actually buying unnecessary luxuries - are you still willing to buy my insurance?  Simply because I wish to spend limited funds elsewhere?  I prefer to have an enjoyable, happy life rather than insurance - will YOU buy the insurance for me?  Because the "luxuries" I would have to give up will certainly be allowed by govt. when setting the cost for my insurance and then there is nothing left.

1. profile image0

"I prefer to have an enjoyable, happy life rather than insurance - will YOU buy the insurance for me?" 

Here is the difference between your thinking and mine.  I want all people in this wealthy country of ours to be able to have an enjoyable, happy life without worry about whether or not they can afford to pay a doctor to continue living it.  We have plenty of money.  Our priorities are screwed up.  The money we spend on defense is shameful and should be redirected.

But, short answer to your question is, YES, I have no problem contributing to a system of universal health care that would allow you to keep your little luxuries.  No problem at all.

3. Ralph Deeds profile image65
        Ralph Deedsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What about your spouse? You don't care whether she gets medical care, either?

Do you expect me to say I don't care?  Or that it is OK to force someone else to buy her insurance but not mine?  Don't be foolish.

Somewhere in all the rhetoric the fact that strangers are going to be forced, under law, to provide insurance for those that can't or won't buy it themselves.  What is it with the liberal mindset that is always so willing to dig into the wallets of everyone they see?  Do they not care that what they find there is not theirs to take?

1. profile image0

The fight is over the increase in capital gain to the rich in that bill. Follow the money, And I can't imagine any Christian putting "money" before saving a "life!"

1. Mighty Mom profile image77
              Mighty Momposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You obviously have not met enough of our Christian hubbers.
              sad

1. 910chris profile image74

BOOM!

2. Mighty Mom profile image77

wilderness,
            But that is exactly what is happening now. Strangers pay for the health care of those who can't or won't buy health care on their own. If I have insurance I'm paying a higher premium to help cover those who get so-called "charity care." ACA reduces the number of freeloaders on the healthcare system.

JSChams,
            No. It IS about healthcare. ACA has been a huge wakeup call.
            The ball has already been picked up at the state and regional level.
            Many states have already started putting in place their health care exchanges. High risk pools for preexisting conditions citizens (e.g., those who cannot currently get insurance) are already in place.
            Healthcare delivery system stakeholders have been preparing for ACA and getting ready for its impact.
            Here in CA the determination was/is to move forward with necessary changes whether or not ACA goes through.

The bill has been and will continue to be a huge catalyst to deliver healthcare better. Which America sorely needs.
            hese healthcare changes MUST be made.

Really? And how exactly does it do that?
              Actually, that's what you're told to think it's about. Government looking for your sympathy by showing you that plenty of people are without it and cooking up a system to fix the problem.

But, government doesn't FIX things. It makes them worse.

That IS the wake up call citizens should be getting NOW!

I'm not getting my information from the government.
                I'm getting my information from a CA consortium of stakeholders, including nonprofit foundations, community clinic and hospital directors, doctors, community members and others who are on the frontlines of how ACA will impact citizens and the safety net that currently provides care.

They are not looking to the government to fix the problem. They are looking at ACA as a catalyst to take the action they know needs to be taken.
                ACA does provide some incentives to care deliverers to build capacity.

But no one here wants to talk about any of that. No one wants to talk about the good that it will do for currently uninsuerd people. NO one wants to talk about anything except that Obamacare is a "TAX" and it somehow offends people's personal responsibility and liberty.

1. phion profile image60
                  phionposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Who do we have responsibility to? Ourselves, our children, friends, family? Who all would you like each of us to be responsible for? What if I only make enough in my job to pay for my own family? Who decides how much is enough to take care of my own family before paying higher taxes to pay for others? Do you make enough to pay for your needs and another’s? If so, maybe you should donate more money to charity, or send a donation to the IRS.

2. phion profile image60

Cagsil...right you are my friend. Is half the country really this drunk on the lies they gleefully nuzzle from the tyranny of our government? What would the constitution and the first 28 amendments look like if our founders had another go at it? ~If a people expect to be ignorant- and free- in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be ~Jefferson

3. Jane Bovary profile image85
            Jane Bovaryposted 11 years agoin reply to this

We have a different system over here in Australia - no-one is forced to buy health insurance but we are compelled to pay a 'medicare levy' so everyone is able to receive medical treatment when needed. There are good arguments to be made that universal healthcare benefits the whole society, not just those who need it. Here's a few:

*Untreated infectious disease poses a potential threat for the wider society.
            *Lack of medical treatment affects the labour force negatively
            *Those who pay now may one day need to be propped up themselves.
            *Universal healthcare is cheaper for the society as a whole.

4. cynthtggt profile image75
        cynthtggtposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Everyone talks about healthcare as though doctors want to heal you.  That is not the objective.  The objective is to exploit.  Read "Racketerring in Medicine."  You can purchase it on Amazon.com.  What I feel sorry for are for those who think otherwise.  If you want to get good medical care, go on-line with China.  They may kill their babies but they care about healing.  They have a great pride in it.  Our doctors are great at keeping alive a person with catastrophic care (like a bullet in the head) but when it comes to systemic disease, all patients are nothing but a moneyball.  I say stop screwing.  They exploit that the most since most STDs mimick other diseases.  This is where we're headed.  To all the liberals who hate Christians, you might be surprised to know that the Christianity is the only religion that believes in healing unconditionally.  So, now that we're past that - well - you got to live like a saint unless you vote for Romney.  Why?  Even God permits a "season of sin."  But with liberals (and I mean the ones on top, not the lower tier of liberals who are hoodwinked), they will make you moral whether you like it or not.  God hates them.  Do you catch my drift?

5. phion profile image60

Much respect is due to your outlook. If you do need help there is no shame in seeking it out. You can use the system to help you through some tough times without abusing it like so many. That is what it was ment for. I just said a prayer for your family, and hope it reaches you with renewed hope for a brighter day.

6. profile image0
        Chris Hughposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I respect you and your principles. I don't necessarily have the same outlook as you, but I understand what you're saying. I see you're getting a lot of flak from people who don't understand, so I wanted to say something supportive.

7. profile image0

Huh, someone asks a question, wilderness answers it, and now (some) people jump down wilderness' throat. Real nice.

1. profile image0

Hi Chris.  I suspect you are referring to me.  I don't feel even a tiny bit bad about jumping all over wilderness and his ilk.  Their inconsistency is mind-boggling and it is hurting other people, and yet they seem to think they are "responsible" while those who accept help from the government when they need it are not.

Behold certain conservatives in this thread:

"I am responsible for my own self, not like those 'children' who want the government to take care of them."

"Yeah, I need medical attention, but I can't afford it, and I don't expect anyone else to pay for it."

"No, I don't want to contribute to a system that would help give everyone access to affordable health care.  That would be tyranny.  Why should I pay to help someone else be well?"

"Yeah, if I get hit by a bus and am critically injured, or survive a massive heart attack and receive unlimited medical care, I know the hospital will take care of me even if I don't have insurance or enough money to pay for my own medical care."

"Oh, you say other people would be footing the bill for my irresponsibility in the form of higher medical costs?" 

[.....crickets.....]

2. gmwilliams profile image83
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

No, I would not.   There are people who need health care but either unable to pay for it and/or are uninsured for one reason or another.   These people should not be refused quality health care because they have no type of insurance nor funds.  That would be totally inhumane and egregious to say the least.

3. JSChams profile image61
      JSChamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I would get the treatment and worry about it later. You can do that you know.

2. SparklingJewel profile image66
    SparklingJewelposted 11 years ago

yes. first and foremost, it is unconstitutional,the supreme court and the federal government have no constitutional authority to make me buy their healthcare products and try to run my healthcare lifestyle.

I have no insurance and raised four children as a single parent without it. the system, the free market (to what degree it has been, but could be even better) allowed that. Charitable organizations/hospitals paying for  excellent healthcare helped us when it was needed and we lived a healthy prevent illness lifestyle to maintain sound mind, body and spirit. I continue to be healthy, pay out of pocket for most things I need, pay my bills and give back to others to balance the karmic books

All I need is my hard-earned money and savings and a freer market healthcare system and economy... that will keep costs down.

1. profile image0

Charitable organization/ hospiitals paying? Don't you realize your medical needs were paid by the people who have insurance and/or the federal government?

1. profile image0

People give money to a charity voluntarily. The government is not a charity. Big difference.

1. TheBadJuJu profile image76
          TheBadJuJuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

That is a VERY good point!

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
          Uninvited Writerposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, but a lot of people are too proud to accept charity. They figure if it's a government program that they either have paid into or will when they can it's not charity.

2. profile image0

Typical.  You are leeching off the system and don't even recognize it, yet you would deny others.

Typical.

1. SparklingJewel profile image66
        SparklingJewelposted 11 years agoin reply to this

read my other posts on these issues before you judge...you are the leech, not me!

1. profile image0

I respectfully disagree.  I pay at least a portion of my health insurance premium and the rest is part of my compensation package for being an excellent employee.  If I get sick, after paying my deductible, my conscience can rest easy that I have earned the payment for my health care.  Because I work for a living, two jobs and my own business by the way, I don't have to seek out charity or ask the hospital to pay my bills.

Yet, I recognize that there are those who are not so fortunate, and I am perfectly happy to give a large chunk of my hard-earned money to know that my friends, neighbors, and utter strangers do not have to worry about losing their homes to pay a catastrophic medical bill, or putting off seeing a doctor due to lack of money.

A coworker of mine just posted on his Facebook page about losing his 6-month-old brother because his teenage parents were turned away by their doctor for owing too much money, so they waited to see if their baby would get better, and when he didn't they went to the emergency room, but it was too late.  This happened 40 years ago, but it still happens today.  What is wrong with our people that so many of you are okay with this happening.

And the most incredible thing of all is that it would SAVE MONEY in the long run if everyone could see a doctor when they need to and not put it off until they are so sick that they have no choice.  Yet, so-called conservatives are okay with their friends and neighbors suffering so they can save a few bucks.

It sickens me.

If you truly think Obamacare is going to save the country money you desperately need to take one giant step into reality.

Even the government (notoriously stupid about underestimating costs) is coming to understand that the cost of this boondoggle  is going to be vastly higher than projected.  Obama's card trick of paying for 10 years to get 5 years of insurance at little more than we now pay has come to be common knowledge and we understand better what actual costs will be.  Bearing in mind, of course, that even those huge estimates are still done by govt. and the cost will double again if past history of their expertise is any guide.

Well, I guess Illegal's won't have to pay a dime for ObamaCare since they don't file taxes at the end of the year (cause there here illegally). They can cross the border, get free medical care, then go back home healthy as an ox! Better yet, they can all stay here, laugh at all the people who waited years to get into America the legal way ( like my great great grandparents), and go to college (just look up the DREAM Act) for next to nothing.

To me, this is a big slap in the face.

Mostly it's another way for socialist liberals to force you to give your hard earned income to someone else not as "fortunate" (your income isn't from hard work or years of education, it's from luck).

It will also, of course, buy a lot of votes for the politicians taking from the "rich" (you) and giving to the poor.

Take heart, though!  Maybe next year they'll take another 10% to give to Mexico and the following year another 10% to give to Somalia to support the pirates.  Soon we can all apply to Mexico for our welfare, and cross the border to use their hospitals as ours will have disappeared.

I have deep emotions about the American people. If I were to cry for anything, I would cry for them and the policies that they're about to face.
                  Nancy Pelosi

2. harmony155 profile image59
              harmony155posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Romney required all Massachusettes citizens to purchase health insurance as Governor in 2006- it still is in effect. In result, the state of Massachusetts has saved Millions in state spending towards health care. This same model will be applied at a federal level and save the country a lot:
              1. No longer pay for free riders
              2. No longer pay for illegal immigrants
              3. Decrease the unemployment rate by steadily increasing jobs in the medical field( more insured individuals will be in the market)
              5. Allow students to be covered by parents so they can pay off loans faster
              6. Less overall debt to the average American

And most of all, it will allow all Americans a fair chance to obtain medical care regardless of a preexisting condition!

3. profile image0

I'm amazed that so many so=called Christians put "Money or cost" over another life. To say an infant, child,or adults life is worthless! This country has turned into a sad state of affairs in my opinion! Most have no idea what a insurance policy costs for a family, because their employer picks up the "Bulk of the cost" for their insurance. They obviously don't understand what "lifetime benefit is either". But God forbid, this people become unemployed, lose their insurance, or exceed the lifetime benefit of their plan! Then, maybe the, they would "understand" what it means to be without health insurance. For those Christians, I will say a special prayer for your forgiveness of putting "money over human life!"

And I'm amazed at the number of people that think that govt. is a limitless supply of money, goods and services.  Our govt. grossly overspends what it has already; eventually that bill will come due and we will reap the rewards of living on borrowed money.  Obamacare will simply accelerate the process, hastening the time when health care is not affordable for anyone as the country enters a depression the likes of which it has never seen.

There are limits to what anyone can spend or purchase, individual or country, Christian or heathen, rich or poor.  National health care at the level being proposed is beyond those limits and all the breast beating and complaints that people don't care won't change that sad fact. 

If you want to pray for something, pray that our national debt be magically erased.  At least that way we could pay for this travesty for a few years before the debt builds past where it is now.

4. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

If we could clean up all the corruption, we wouldn't be in this mess. I wrote a rant about this years ago. big_smile

Meanwhile, here's my two-cents:

Email this link to everyone you know. Strike now while everyone is in a frenzy and is more inclined to actually do something. http://www.stopmedicarefraud.gov/reportfraud.html

Include text from this federal site in your email. Especially the part about getting a cash reward. Also applies to Medicaid.

What a day... Good night all.

5. drMomAsks profile image59
    drMomAsksposted 11 years ago

But perhaps the most egregious sin in all of this debate is that people refuse to read. Further,  it is because this initiative is being promoted by an African American man that many people refuse to open their minds, be intelligent, and focus on the facts rather than 'sensational talking points'. America is not colorblind...It's just that simple.

1. profile image0

drMomAsks, you hit the nail on the head! But very few will actually admit it!

1. drMomAsks profile image59
        drMomAsksposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thanks screaming for your validation.  I know this to be true all too well. It is hard to accept for people who do not want to admit it, and almost impossible for people who do not look like me to understand. I was counting down the seconds until someone 'screamed racecard'. But I don't care. Because once again, a quick look at history will explain it all. But then again, we aren't really taught these things in formal education, so my theory about how people don't READ is proven again. I will never argue with someone about something they don't know anything about. That is fruitless. But I am entitled to discuss exactly what I 'live' everyday, and watch the 'squeaky wheel get the oil'. Thanks for your ability to be honest. You are among the wonderful few.

1. Bob Zermop profile image68
          Bob Zermopposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I promise you, my criticism of the current prez is not race-influenced anymore than my dislike of Mitt Romney is because he's white. Perhaps there are some out there who are racially influenced, but in my experience they are very few to non-existent. By pushing race to be the only explanation of any opposition to ideas present by people of color, it discredits their ideas and makes it impossible to work with and debate the ideas to improve them.

I agree with your point Bob. Let me say that perhaps I should not have stated my post as if there were only an 'absolute' reason. But because my 'experience' is different from yours, I do believe that this dynamic plays a role in the actions of many. Race is NOT the ONLY explanation, but a part in many cases. But it does need to be considered instead of being 'balked' at...because to do that is also making the issue of pervasive discrimination and racism in America impossible to improve. It will not 'simply go away' if we 'ignore it'. If people are not guilty of it...fine. But as soon as it is mentioned, some people go BALLISTIC! I wonder why? And if they are, then admitting it is more noble than not. I am able to be objective, but no one can argue with me about my experience.

1. Josak profile image59

Completely agreed, things like that recent poll of GOP primary voters in Tennessee that found that almost half thought interracial marriages were wrong make me wonder just how rare this racial bias is.

So true. I am a psychologist and teach (among other core courses) African American psychology and the Psychology of Racism. I wish that people would read more and become informed.  I have learned so many things that I never knew before...just from having to teach these subjects.

2. Bob Zermop profile image68

Read that poll, had to read it twice. Lived in Texas for years, some "political incorrectness" but nothing of that caliber. Ridiculous. But was the poll whether interracial marriages are wrong, or whether they should be illegal? I still think it's ridiculous if it's the former, but if it's the latter I would be very disturbed.

1. Josak profile image59

If I remember correctly about 50% thought it was wrong about 30% thought it should be illegal.

2. Bob Zermop profile image68

Certainly racism should be considered as a possible factor; the problem arises only when some become so convinced that this is the reason that they fail to consider other possibilities. That's when debates and discussions become pointless.

Living in the Bay Area for the past few years, it's true that my experience has been quite positive, and I am full of hope that the US and the world can become "color-blind". A good step towards that would be encouraging criticism and discussion on the basis of ideas, not race, in any direction.

But that is the problem Bob. We should never want to ignore the fact that we are all part of the human race that includes many varieties. In fact, we are different, even within each ethnic group.  We need to strive to acknowledge and appreciate the differences.

Agreed, completely. I actually wrote a hub a while back about racism and sexism stating that same thing. if you're interested, here's the link: http://bobzermop.hubpages.com/hub/Why-s … -are-wrong . I consider myself an individualist and above all a humanist.

I will definitely check it out!

2. Reality Bytes profile image73
      Reality Bytesposted 11 years agoin reply to this

In the past 24 hours since the decision came through, I have not heard anyone mention race, until now?

3. 910chris profile image74

What the hell does color have to do with this?? Why is it you are always bringing up race? Nobody said anything about Romney being white when he did his version of healthcare and people were up in arms in his state about it! Give me a break!!

You are the ONLY person to bring up race here, so maybe you are the one who is NOT colorblind!

1. JSChams profile image61

You see in the end all they have is shame to use on you. The race card and now we are getting the "sponge" card for folks who don't feel the need for the Unaffordable Health Care Act.

Hey JS check this out: http://www.menwithfoilhats.com/2010/02/ … -shotguns/

The plan is coming together nicely.

That's wild.

4. Bob Zermop profile image68

I don't think race is a factor in the outrage; haven't heard it mentioned once till now.

Bob, if you disagree with the President or any program or system he has sponsored you can only be a racist. Did you not know that by now?

That is true unfortunately. We are the FIRST western nation to elect a black man to the highest position in the country, but that is still not good enough. The race card has been over-played and I for one am fed up with it!
          People who bring race into the discussion are the one's who need to take a good hard look in the mirror and see THEMSELVES for what THEY are.

And now they are going to have another weapon because they made Obamacare a blanket law that you M U S T participate in or be fined through the IRS. Did you know that fine is progressive and your wages can be garnished? i am sure jail time could ensue which would be interesting because that would mean the individual would get this health care paid for by us anyway. Kind of a neat little trick there huh?

Your wage cannot be "garnished". The full ruling here: http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2012/image … h.care.pdf

And Roberts' summary here: Quoting a summary by Justice Roberts (Any underlining is by me, for emphasis): "The individual mandate requires most Americans to maintain “minimum essential” health insurance coverage. 26 U. S. C. §5000A. The mandate does not apply to some individuals, such as prisoners and undocumented aliens. §5000A(d). Many individuals will receive the required coverage through their employer, or from a government program such as Medicaid or Medicare. See §5000A(f). But for individuals who are not exempt and do not receive health insurance through a third party, the means of satisfying the requirement is to purchase insurance from a private company."

"Beginning in 2014, those who do not comply with the mandate must make a “[s]hared responsibility payment” to the Federal Government. §5000A(b)(1). That payment, which the Act describes as a “penalty,” is calculated as a percentage of household income, subject to a floor based on a specified dollar amount and a ceiling based on the average annual premium the individual would have to pay for qualifying private health insurance. §5000A(c). In 2016, for example, the penalty will be 2.5 percent of an individual’s household income, but no less than $695 and no more than the average yearly premium for insurance that covers 60 percent of the cost of 10 specified services (e.g., prescription drugs and hospitalization)." (p.7)

If I didn't know any better, this seems like a great, "divide and conquer" tatic. A good way to bring down a country from within.

2. phion profile image60

Bob Zermop---Certainly racism should be considered as a possible factor;
        did you forget writing this?

I posted some other posts above clarifying my meaning.

6. profile image0
    PrettyPantherposted 11 years ago

JS, you press me to provide an answer and then you don't respond?  What....?

As far as reading the bill goes, there are plenty of good summaries about what is contained in the bill, if you don't want to read it.  But, please, if you rely on a summary, please make sure the person/organization that prepared it is reliable and doesn't have reason to put a political slant on it.

7. profile image0

The part no one is hearing about is not the healthcare part as much as the increase on capital gain for the wealthy (over $250,000.00 gain and above). Do you really think they care about your health? Follow the money!

8. Friendlyword profile image60
    Friendlywordposted 11 years ago

"Because THE CHIEF JUSTICE finds the withholding—not the granting—of federal funds incompatible with the Spending Clause, Congress’ extension of Medicaid remains available to any State that affirms its willingness to participate."

This is a serious health care bill!  If my State chooses to participate in the Medicaid Expansion program; young single people will not have to worry about health insurance!  Do people that are against the ACA realize what this bill actually offers the public. 

People! You have to READ this judgement to learn just what you might get out of it.  I don't care what anybody says about some silly tax penalty that won't effect you in any way; this bill and this decision will change so many lives for the better, for real!  for now! and as long as you live.

You don't even have to read the judgment.
      The positive aspects of ACA are easy to find.

You just have to stop listening to Rush Limbaugh (who, if he is half a man and follows through on his 'threat' should be relocating to Costa Rica as we speak) and watching Fox News.
      lol

Guess what. I don't watch or listen to either. You don't have to.

1. profile image0

Funny when people just assume you're getting your ideas from someone else. Huh, I wonder where that assumption comes from; it couldn't be that that's why they do? Or is it just total disrespect for another point of view? Intelligent, good people can disagree on things; it doesn't mean anyone is stupid. Of course, it doesn't preclude it either.

On a totally different note: Someone tell Rush Limbaugh not to let the door hit him on the way out.

No what it is is a stereotype invariably used by liberals when you won't just bend right over for them. They have no problem insulting you for your beliefs.

9. JSChams profile image61
    JSChamsposted 11 years ago

Since I am in the presence of such massively intellectual people here I need an answer to something related to the ACA, Obamacare, or whatever we will call it.
    I am familiar with Dodd-Frank, McCain-Feingold and such other pieces of famous legislation that became law. Now those are named after their sponsors. Presumably they had some input in the authoring.

It's somewhat well known that Barack Obama did no such work on ACA.
    So who did? Who wrote the gigantic, rain forest tree killing thing?

10. profile image0

I keep hearing how middle class taxes are going up. Give me an example of that please. I do see where capital gain tax is going up, or tanning tax being added, but nothing affecting the middle class. The big one is capital gains, which the wealthy are against. Is this just a Republican scare factor? Like using the work IRS to make you think they will be coming after you?

11. TheBadJuJu profile image76
    TheBadJuJuposted 11 years ago

I like the idea but it's the execution that concerns me.  I don't believe that the cost will go down enough to not cause a financial hardship on the average middle class 30 something individual that doesn't currently have coverage.  I'm waiting for the unintended consequences to pop up on this law just like they do on every other thing the government puts it hands into.  Although my thoughts are that with this law, they will be really ugly.

My doctor had two prices for office visits.  One for "cash" paying customers and one for when they had to bill the insurance.  The cash payment was 1/2 what the insured rate was because he didn't have to wait six months to get paid.  I asked about that when I noticed it. 

I went almost five years without health insurance once and had to go to the emergency room twice during that time. 

Yeah, it was really hard to make those payment arrangements with the hospital and pay them a payment every month for a while. <--- That's sarcasm in case you didn't recognize it. 

It was still cheaper than buying private insurance.  Right now my insurance doesn't cost me a dime and it's decent.  I'm wondering if it will change with this fiasco.

1. profile image0

I wish I could find a doctor to take 1/2 of his fee or even the reasonable or customary fee. In my area you're charged full price with no reduction in price.

1. TheBadJuJu profile image76
        TheBadJuJuposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I noticed it on a piece of paper on the desk and that's when I asked about it.  You might be surprised if you ask a family doctor what their cash price is.  Most doctors around where I am have a different rate for cash than when they have to bill the insurance company.

Hospitals will also send you an itemized bill if you ask them for one, but usually only if you ask.  On one emergency room visit, I was charged for services and items that I didn't receive and I only knew that from looking at the itemized bill.  They removed those items with no questions when I mentioned it.  I was also charged an outrageous amount for other things that I simply told them was a ridiculous price and pointed out the price of the same item in a drug store and they dropped the price.

Hospitals around me will also give you a discount if you pay in cash.  Since the bills are not all consolidated into one, a person can knock quite a bit off of their visit when they take the time to communicate with the hospital, the doctors and anyone else that they get a bill from as a result of their medical care needs.

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 11 years ago

Lol, someone in the answers area called Canada a socialist country. I am so sick of the horror stories being passed on about Canadian health care as fact "people lining up for hours" to see a doctor (maybe in the ER where the most injured or serious are seen first, or a walk in clinic; I make appointments to see the doctor I chose and never wait more than 10 minutes past my appointment time), people coming in droves to get medical treatment in the US (99% of the time it's for elective surgeries and people don't want to wait or if a medical procedure is not as common here) we pay a huge chunk of money to support health care (I don't believe our taxes are worse than they are in the US).  I know the health care system in Canada is not perfect (and being hurt more by cutbacks from a Conservative government) but at least you know you will get the care you need. Made up horror stories do not help anyone's side.

13. profile image0
    jenuboukaposted 11 years ago

Forget the Obamacare; I wish he would of went after the health care system as a whole....They charge way too much for services; perhaps if the health community would stop being selfish or the insurance companies (remember that recording from an ex pres?)  We wouldn't be in this debacle of debt.  Perhaps if we could seek medical help in the er for a flat rate; to which covered those who are not able to afford it that would be easier.  And let's not get started on the insane money for a prescription.  What, are they lacing them in gold???

It seems to me, that while this new "law" or whatever will grant more aid; it still does not address the real issue; the system as a whole.  Mass greed; no morality.  The taxes should be on those insurance companies and the outrageous bills just to get some dental work done.  Just saying. The last er visit to check an allergic reaction cost me over $1500 dollars; really guys really...And to pull my wisdom teeth will put me back over $3 grand. Granted I have no insurance but have you tried to apply lately. Jeez, they look you at you funny if you fart too much.  Sorry ma'am, we see here you pass gas about 16 times a day that is two fart too many......

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)